Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

Training Ground?


Romey
 Share


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Geelong sells the active lifestyle of the surf coast. I'm not as familiar with the Peninsula but it seems more suited to retirees.

The Peninsula is amazing for everyone including the surfers, as you may already know alot of footballs live out that way including our skipper. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, drdrake said:

You can stamp your feet all you want, unless we get state and federal money nothing will happen.  The club would have had many meetings and submissions, unfortunately giving more money to the Olympic Park/mcg precinct isn't a high priority when you have a health and education crisis in most states of Australia.

Sorry, would love to see our club get millions like other clubs but at this time there is bigger priorities 

Trouble is  this Board has been saying for the past 2 years " we can't say anything yet because of what the government will allow us to say".    To date: nothing!

Prior to that Glen Bartlett said he would have a training facility before he quit.  Nothing, and the same Board is still there.

Prior to that.....go back to Ian Ridley when proposing the merger with Hawthorn....we will get a training facility!

Go to the 2020-23 MFC strategic plan. Item 5 " start construction of a new Melbourne home base facility"  12 months to go and nothing!

So other clubs can "get millions" which are used to refurbish existing facilities, but we don't even have that.  The ONLY club in the AFL which doesn't!
 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Trouble is  this Board has been saying for the past 2 years " we can't say anything yet because of what the government will allow us to say".    To date: nothing!

Prior to that Glen Bartlett said he would have a training facility before he quit.  Nothing, and the same Board is still there.

Prior to that.....go back to Ian Ridley when proposing the merger with Hawthorn....we will get a training facility!

Go to the 2020-23 MFC strategic plan. Item 5 " start construction of a new Melbourne home base facility"  12 months to go and nothing!

So other clubs can "get millions" which are used to refurbish existing facilities, but we don't even have that.  The ONLY club in the AFL which doesn't!
 

Exactly!

It isn't about "stamping feet" and having a tantrum. We are adults here. I don't expect our home ground to be built in 12 months.

I am realistic that things take time. Dealing with the Government is never an easy or swift process.

All we want is to see some progress!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

So other clubs can "get millions" which are used to refurbish existing facilities, but we don't even have that.  The ONLY club in the AFL which doesn't!

Incorrect.

Gosch's:

The Government will kick in $2 million towards the redevelopment of Gosch’s Paddock oval, with the AFL and Melbourne combining to contribute $1 million.

Demons and community to win from Gosch’s Paddock upgrade

Casey:

The upgrades are being jointly funded by the state government ($5 million), the City of Casey ($2.5 million) and the AFL ($500,000).

Melbourne set to benefit from $8 million upgrade of Casey Fields in major AFLW investment

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watch Hawthorn attempt to own the peninsula and set up a Geelong east set up out of Dingley with players encouraged to move down the coast.

Not impossible from Casey but it’s actually further from Mornington than Dingley is. The roads are a mess. Public transport is non existent. The community has little to no interest in afl footy. Little interest in anything but kfc, long commutes in mid sized SUV’s and roundabouts.

In fact I’ll even go ahead and say all the suburbs out there shouldn’t exist. They are future slums way way too far from Melbourne and not at all connected with a satellite city. The Casey fields precinct is lipstick on a pig. One big collection of sporting facilities because they can’t get developers to actually spread them throughout these awful excuses for suburbs. And the community doesn’t use them enough to justify them so they’re all rented out to elite sporting clubs.

The entire area is a shrine to abysmal urban planning and development, corruption and greed.

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 5
  • Shocked 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Incorrect.

Gosch's:

The Government will kick in $2 million towards the redevelopment of Gosch’s Paddock oval, with the AFL and Melbourne combining to contribute $1 million.

Demons and community to win from Gosch’s Paddock upgrade

Casey:

The upgrades are being jointly funded by the state government ($5 million), the City of Casey ($2.5 million) and the AFL ($500,000).

Melbourne set to benefit from $8 million upgrade of Casey Fields in major AFLW investment

Really should read the articles before posting. 2018 for Casey.

We are not looking for crumbs. Others have had tens of millions given to them to build facilities. And then more to upgrade them.
We don’t have one in 2022!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Really should read the articles before posting. 2018 for Casey.

We are not looking for crumbs. Others have had tens of millions given to them to build facilities. And then more to upgrade them.
We don’t have one in 2022!!

I'm with you on the wait for a 'proper' home base, but your assertion was other clubs had been given millions from governments and we hadn't.

There's literally 9.5 million right there.

(You'll also note the article is from August 2019)

Edited by Lord Nev
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Really should read the articles before posting. 2018 for Casey.

We are not looking for crumbs. Others have had tens of millions given to them to build facilities. And then more to upgrade them.
We don’t have one in 2022!!

You are wasting your breath George.

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Watch Hawthorn attempt to own the peninsula and set up a Geelong east set up out of Dingley with players encouraged to move down the coast.

Not impossible from Casey but it’s actually further from Mornington than Dingley is. The roads are a mess. Public transport is non existent. The community has little to no interest in afl footy. Little interest in anything but kfc, long commutes in mid sized SUV’s and roundabouts.

In fact I’ll even go ahead and say all the suburbs out there shouldn’t exist. They are future slums way way too far from Melbourne and not at all connected with a satellite city. The Casey fields precinct is lipstick on a pig. One big collection of sporting facilities because they can’t get developers to actually spread them throughout these awful excuses for suburbs. And the community doesn’t use them enough to justify them so they’re all rented out to elite sporting clubs.

The entire area is a shrine to abysmal urban planning and development, corruption and greed.

We currently don't have a pig or lipstick.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Watch Hawthorn attempt to own the peninsula and set up a Geelong east set up out of Dingley with players encouraged to move down the coast.

Not impossible from Casey but it’s actually further from Mornington than Dingley is.

Dingley is approx 10km or 33% further from Mornington than Casey Fields.

Edited by Trisul
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

you're kidding, surely

Google maps right now, Main St Mornington via Penn Link and Mordi Fwy to the Hawks facility at Dingley is 33 mins, to Casey is 40.

Swap directions is 37 a piece.

Dingley is ideally placed that players are within an easy commute of the peninsula and the inner bayside suburbs. It’s a genius move from Hawthorn.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Google maps right now, Main St Mornington via Penn Link and Mordi Fwy to the Hawks facility at Dingley is 33 mins, to Casey is 40.

Swap directions is 37 a piece.

Dingley is ideally placed that players are within an easy commute of the peninsula and the inner bayside suburbs. It’s a genius move from Hawthorn.

Planning their exit from Tassie into another another district DS?  Competition for hearts & minds is fierce and not limited to on field performance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Planning their exit from Tassie into another another district DS?  Competition for hearts & minds is fierce and not limited to on field performance.

AFLW team playing at Frankston for the rest of the season, that’s exactly what they’ll be doing 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2022 at 9:20 AM, old dee said:

It will be our major facility for some time if not forever. Time to embrace  it. Pipe dreamers won’t agree but five years on from the dream we have a surface up grade at Goschs and continuing silence from the MFC. Hardly spectacular progress.

Yes, we’ll be the Greater Melbourne Demons. Always wanted to be a regional AND city club.

Seriously though. I don’t care any more. I know we can compete from Casey and I know that it will grow and be an elite facility and we should lean in to that side of the bay and be done with it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, george_on_the_outer said:

We are not looking for crumbs. Others have had tens of millions given to them to build facilities.

For example:

Kardinia Park Upgrade Stage 5 - $142m

Richmond Demolition of Punt Road & Rebuild $65m ($30m from Govt)

North $10m - 2018 and $7m $2020

Saints $30m

Carlton $30m for Ikon Park Redevelopment (Mix of state and federal funding)

Hawthorn $20m - ($15m from feds, $5m from council plus an unspecified amount from state govt)

Melbourne.......wait for it......... $2m

 

 

  • Thanks 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 2
  • Vomit 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

For example:

Kardinia Park Upgrade Stage 5 - $142m

Richmond Demolition of Punt Road & Rebuild $65m ($30m from Govt)

North $10m - 2018 and $7m $2020

Saints $30m

Carlton $30m for Ikon Park Redevelopment (Mix of state and federal funding)

Hawthorn $20m - ($15m from feds, $5m from council plus an unspecified amount from state govt)

Melbourne.......wait for it......... $2m

 

 

Good research, and looks damning...

Anything on Essendon or Western Bulldogs @Roger Mellie?

* I wouldn't know where to begin to source that info...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    BLINK OF AN EYE by The Oracle

    In the year 2022, we learned that the fine between ultimate success in sport and failure can be measured in the blink of an eye. The Melbourne Football Club began the year where it had left off in 2021 - as the powerhouse of the AFL men’s competition.  They steamed towards the halfway mark of the season taking all before them until their winning streak of ten in a row (17 overall since the latter part of the premiership season) came to a crushing end with consecutive losses at the hands of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    CHANGES 2022 Part 03 by The Oracle

    Part Three - Comparing apples with pomegranates by The Oracle One of the truly pointless exercises after each year’s draft is the game over which club “won” the period in question. The reality is that there is no winner or loser at the time and it’s only years further down the track when a full assessment of how the picks turn out can be made, that the winning hand is revealed. And the draft results cannot be considered in isolation; you need to look at where each club stood before the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    GRAND NEW FLAG by Meggs

    Daisy was at pains to tell everyone who asked that the grand final story was NOT the Daisy Pearce story.  She wanted people to focus on the Melbourne Football Club, our wonderful players and non-playing teammates, her legacy buddy head coach Mick Stinear, the assistant coaches, the Club volunteers, the Board, the administrators, #DeeArmy, all supporters, in fact anyone who bleeds for the red and the blue.  But it is also a bit about the pioneer, role model, mother who is Daisy Pearce

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EYES ON THE PRIZE by Meggs

    The Stinear/Pearce partnership has evolved over the 7 AFLW seasons and they have built a team with talented, committed footballers who play for each other and execute a highly entertaining brand of footy. On Sunday can a premiership be added to this legacy? This may well be the last time we see Daisy in the mighty red and blue as she contemplates her start date for a coaching role ‘Down at Kardinia Park’.  Last week’s sensational sealer in the Prelim showed everybody that Daisy could s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DAISY’S DEMON DRIVE by Meggs

    On a blustery Saturday afternoon when the conditions affected marking skills and the ball bounced unpredictably, the Mighty Dees stuck fat against a determined Kangaroos outfit to break away with two final quarter goals to none to win AFLW Preliminary Final 2 by 17 points — an all-time high winning margin between these two teams.  From the outset it was a fiercely fought contest with Melbourne unable to find the ball in space. North really amped up their one-percenters an

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NOT A MOMENT TO MISS by Meggs

    The AFLW Season 7 fixture was carefully crafted to purposely handicap the better teams and give the expansion and developing sides an easier draw.  Nonetheless, this weekend’s Preliminary Finals will showcase the Lions, Demons, Crows and Roos, teams widely accepted as the best 4 in the competition.   In Friday night’s Prelim 1 the minor premiers, Brisbane, will start warm favourites at home against Adelaide.   On Saturday afternoon at Ikon Park, Prelim 2 between Melbourne and North is

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STICK TO YOUR GUNS by Meggs

    The Dees convincingly overcome the fast-starting reigning-premiers Adelaide to win by 21 points in a fiery Qualifying Final match at Ikon Park on Friday evening.     In that first quarter Adelaide jumped out of the blocks kicking their first goal inside 20 seconds finishing with 3 goals to nil. All was quiet at Ikon Park.     Melbourne, having easily outplayed lesser opponents over the past six weeks took time to ratchet up their intensity.  But, by mid to late first quarter, the Dees be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HEAVYWEIGHTS by Meggs

    AFLW heavyweights Melbourne and Adelaide kick off the AFLW Season 7 Final Series with a massive Qualifying Final clash at Ikon Park this Friday night at 7:10pm.  The game promises to be a cracker.   Last season’s Grand Final combatants last met in Round 1where Melbourne came away with a strong 18-point victory at Glenelg Oval. The Dees will be hoping to replicate the result and move directly to the Preliminary Final.    While Adelaide may not have been as intimidating this season as in p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH by Meggs

    Congratulations to Daisy’s Dees on a huge 78-point one-sided win against West Coast in challenging windy and wet conditions at Casey Fields.     The banner celebrating Sarah Lampard’s 50 games was a victim of the wind, but nonetheless Lampy received a warm round of applause from the parochial crowd in attendance.   Melbourne has the double-chance and is excited about its chances in the Season 7 AFLW finals. If this means the Grand Final is played at Metricon and the Demond make it, then

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...