WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - HARLEY BENNELL

Tinks

1 hour ago, Unleash Hell said:

Thanks for the info @Canplay

Not a comment directed at you - but I would have thought some of the senior leaders should be worried about being competitive this year and focus on playing some good football rather than assessing paypackets. Sounds like success isn't important to some.

Seems to be very MFC thing to get caught up in.... You hear completely different stories at the successful clubs (Hawks, Swans, Cats etc) 

By the way I get how some players could be peeved at certain reported pay offers to FAs but they should also know what goes around comes around. I don't know why we bother.... 

Do you believe everything people post.

40 minutes ago, Deebacle said:

Well that was interesting. From a comment that could have been made up for all we know to our senior players not having their mind on the job because of a comment that could be BS. That will do me for a Sunday arvo.

You must be new here. That is Demonland 101

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

From my limited experience with AFL players, they don't know or care about their team mates remuneration, only their performance and how they fit in. Have also heard countless interviews with players where they say none of them talk about their contract details.

But sure, you can choose to believe that a poster on the internet (who has already complained about Tomlinson's contract details, which they have no actual knowledge of), had a player complain, in a public place; to someone they've never met before, about something they wouldn't know about.

"A regular comment among the industry sources who spoke to AFL.com.au was that players talk more about their wage these days and "they all seem to know what everyone is on".

That's effectively led to 'If he's making that, why aren't I?' and has played a role in the other clubs being left footing the bill for the new standard rate for young guns."

20-year-olds on $500k: How the 'Gold Coast tax' changed the game

12 hours ago, Wrecker45 said:

This is what I don’t understand and in true demonland spirit I normally think I know everything.

Can someone explain why in previous calf injuries mri scans were showing a tear if it was just his calf pushing on nerves? 

I had a calf issue caused by a nerve issue. In my case the nerve issue makes the calf muscle spasm and tighten right up. When you exercise a muscle in that state it’s almost inevitable that it will eventually tear. Mine flared up riding but when I stopped it settled down after each ride. If his was anything like that it would explain it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

"A regular comment among the industry sources who spoke to AFL.com.au was that players talk more about their wage these days and "they all seem to know what everyone is on".

That's effectively led to 'If he's making that, why aren't I?' and has played a role in the other clubs being left footing the bill for the new standard rate for young guns."

Yep, fair play. Doesn't change my experience and what I've heard myself though.

11 hours ago, goodwindees said:

It probably only indicates that Canplay led the witness/senior player with his line of questioning, however, nobody could possibly be the slightest bit surprised that the majority of Dees players would be shaking their heads at Tomlinson getting a long term, lucrative contract.

Good to see a rational balanced view.   In fairness I think you’re right and I did lead off with my view on Tomlinson and he followed me in.    Definitely said Harley done deal and was confident team would work on some areas identified and would be playing finals again in 2020.

3 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

That's not unreasonable. When a handful of players get megabucks the others should baulk. The AFLPA is a terrible union that looks after its rich at the expense of its most vulnerable. 

On one hand conditions and pay for rookies are terrible. And the general "after footy life planning" got the first 4 years should be a way bigger part of their EBA. Keeping these low has enabled mega salaries for the big guys. 

On the other hand the "must pay 95% of the salary cap" is their way of arguing that the money at aside for players salaries gets paid to players instead of saved by poor clubs, and I can understand that. But it means free agency is less effective and because the club cycle from bottom to top takes a long time, players are disadvantaged in their career based on where they are drafted.

Increasing the cap but keeping the current floor will actually encourage more FA player movement, make it easier for clubs to improve their list by giving them cap space, increasing the salaries of mid tier players and increasing the eveness of the competition. 

6 hours ago, It's Time said:

I had a calf issue caused by a nerve issue. In my case the nerve issue makes the calf muscle spasm and tighten right up. When you exercise a muscle in that state it’s almost inevitable that it will eventually tear. Mine flared up riding but when I stopped it settled down after each ride. If his was anything like that it would explain it. 

Must've been in the bad books with the missus then.

• Shocked 1

15 hours ago, It's Time said:

Starting to wonder if all this talk of spasms causing chronic issues (and some referred nerve pain) of the calf is more a trigger point issue than specifically nerve derived.  Albeit the sensory and motor nerves can nonetheless be impacted, which might explain the related nerve issues?

Below are some VERY basic explanations highlighting the 'contraction/shortenting' effect on muscle fibers by trigger points, which might (partially)  explain some of the calf tears/nerve pain etc.  Of course not being an expert it could also be way wide of the mark...just putting it out there....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DxFGImh3X8

Some coverage of the (potential) nerve related effects here..

A more extended look at the potential common trigger points that might effect the lower leg region...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SckxNECKUes&t=80s

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

Lets get him and see  what happens. Could be worse! We have taken some doosies over the years and this one may pay off. I like Bennell and believe he has grown up and now knows he has 5 years of footy left and needs to sort out his future. 

Bennell in the Red and Blue!

• Like 2

It worries me that we're speaking with both Bennell and now Sam Murray and could potentially have both on our list soon. As much talent as they both have, culture is more important IMO. Only takes a few bad seeds to infect the club.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Damo said:

Not to degrade your post @Dirts but I was pumped that this may have been a sighting at training.

If we are picking him up as a rookie (under SSP) he can't come on board and commence training with us till 1st Dec so thank goodness he wasn't there this morning!

Tuesday 3rd Dec training sesh is the first option.  I might even take the day off and head down but we should know either way before then.

A few whispers (36 being one) that he has already committed.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Mike said:

It worries me that we're speaking with both Bennell and now Sam Murray and could potentially have both on our list soon. As much talent as they both have, culture is more important IMO. Only takes a few bad seeds to infect the club.

What's the culture issue 'Mike'...

If it's the drug thing then I wouldn't be too concerned.

The difference with these two and others is they've been caught out...

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Yeah, just look at how Dustin Martin dragged the Tigers down with him and his poor culture.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Damo said:

Not to degrade your post @Dirts but I was pumped that this may have been a sighting at training.

It seems like you were pumped over every player that was unlikely to be doing a lot at training yet... Joel Smith, AVB, KK, Nietschke (in the training thread) and now Bennell who I'm sure it was stated (maybe I'm wrong), was invited to train with us in December

EDIT: something that is now a fact; from the MFC website, re Bennell formally accepting the club's offer to train:

Harley has undergone a new intervention into his calf issues and has committed to some lifestyle changes, and we are confident that he will bring the right attitude to attack the individual program he will be given.

We look forward to him starting training in December and working together.

I suggest lowering your expectations a tad when it comes to players who have been on the long term injury list, as I'm almost certain the fitness experts at the club will be wanting to assess them properly in a rehab environment, before letting them loose in full training on day one.

Edited by hardtack