Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Memorable Kickers

Demons3031

Peter Weekes (Number 25) came up in another post where his interesting kicking style was mentioned. It fired up my memories of players over the years who were either superb kickers or were remembered for having unusual styles of kicking. Being an older member of Demonland, my greatest memories were of Don Williams with his wonderful attacking drop kicks as he ran to the centre line from half back. And those exceptional drop kicks of Tassie Johnson from the goal square to the centre line-incredibly long and precise drop kicks that so often ended in the arms of Terry Gleeson, our ruckman at the time. Ian Ridley was another great from memory.

Unusual styles reminded me of the awkward but effective kicking of Brian Dixon- a remarkable player. Ed Burston was another who was only on the scene for a short time late 60's - he  showed so much potential- he was still learning the art of goal kicking when his career was cut short. A unique kicking style. 

I'm interested in your views on some of our kicking greats or unusual kickers. :)

• Like 3

Darren Bennett was a great kick Damo. I'm having trouble remembering Ted and Kevin's kicking- was it great passing or kicking for goal that made them a stand out for you? I didn't get to many matches for quite a while and heard most of their matches on the radio.

Phil Rhoden, stalwart reserves player and Gardiner Medal winner who only played a few senior games but arguably one of the best booming drop kicker in the games history. Was a joy to watch him kick out from the goal square 65-70 metres every time. Always worth getting in early to watch our reserves games to watch him. He was a master of such a difficult and rare skill.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Demons3031 said:

Darren Bennett was a great kick Damo. I'm having trouble remembering Ted and Kevin's kicking- was it great passing or kicking for goal that made them a stand out for you? I didn't get to many matches for quite a while and heard most of their matches on the radio.

Kevin Dyson left us to go to Sydney but in his time at the Dees he struck me as both a very good long kick and an excellent passer of the ball by foot. Ted Fidge while he was no star he could pull a torp out when needed and kick it seemed, a remarkable long way.

These two were just favourites of mine, but I wanted to add something as I use to be in the TPI war veteran area behind the punt road end pocket of the MCG often with my old man in the early 60's and watch Tassie launch his drops into space from very close.

• Like 1

I saw those players and agree.  But as I remember it, Tilbrook was the longest kick.  He lined up from near enough the wing and people laughed at him.  He put it through, though.  One of his early games. Well, that's my memory of it, and I always trusted him to kick it no matter how far out.  But he charged past the pack as the ball came off hands, so many times, just on the wrong side of the pack.  He just couldn't get the rhythm of it in Victoria.  For odd kicking style, Warren Dean had his way of holding the ball from underneath - that looked weird.  Good kick generally though.  Greg Parke got odd results.

• Love 1

Lyon was a superb kick - perhaps the best in my time watching the Demons.  Warren Dean was a spectacularly long kick - not always accurate but could roost it. Steven Stretch was also a very good user over short and long distances. The great Robbie Flower was wonderfully skilled in all aspects of the game. Brett Lovett used the ball very well by hand and foot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, robbiefrom13 said:

But as I remember it, Tilbrook was the longest kick. 

I remember seeing Tilbrook play in the reserves at Kardinia Park one day, when the crowd was very small in the early stages of the game and the stadium was pretty quiet.

The smack of his boot hitting ball reverberated around the ground like a rifle shot.  Biggest kick I can recall at MFC.

• Like 1

Bernie Massey, when he took over full back from Tas Johnson, kicked the ball just as far.

During the 70's a player who came from WA as a full back was kicking punts from the goal square to the outer wing in Reserves matches. Ray someone.....

In more recent times Travis Johnstone was a great kick on his day. He possessed incredible vision and made some of those low percentage passes look easy. One of my favourite ever  Dees to watch when on song.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Damo said:

Kevin Dyson, Ted Fidge, Darren Bennett.

Bennett was absolutely remarkable for accuracy over extraordinary distances. 

Got to admit there were some expert kicking skills from many Melbourne players but the one kick that has cemented itself in my memory was that of John Tilbrook at Waverly Park. Scurrying around the back pocket on the outer side, he collected the ball and ran with it towards the half-back flank - but still short of that zone by many yards (as real measures were once called). He hoofed it well short of the half-back flank as mentioned, kicking it diagonally across the centre of the ground and it landed just one yard short of the inside point post. I'd heard several weeks later the very close measurement of that kick (recorded by other impressed observers very methodologically) that it carried 104 metres 'on-the-full' - which, if correct and there is no reason to doubt the authenticity of the 'measurers,' makes it one hell of a bloody big torpedo punt kick and certainly, of the many big-uns achieved by Demon players, the biggest and best I have ever seen. 

28 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Bennett was absolutely remarkable for accuracy over extraordinary distances. 

I remember him kicking some absolute monster goals from the centre square.  He was better from the longer distances than the shorter ones I reckon!

David Schwarz was an excellent kick for goal too.

Adem Yze the best user of the football that I've seen in Demon colors (never saw robbie) 

• Like 1

Most of mine have been mentioned. Bennett for long shots at goal. Alan Johnson was a fantastic kick. Schwartz was a superb field kick as well as a great set shot. I reckon Johnny Fidge had Ted covered. He could roost it miles but was also good at hitting up a target. Talented lad who underachieved for various reasons. Flash Davey had a great left peg and if big Neita was on, he could slot a goal from 60. Good field kick as well. And of course Robbie - either foot.

Old mate Rhino Richards could give it a decent thump as well.

Paul Goss didn't play many games for us but he's the last bloke I recall using a drop kick for a set shot at goal. The man on the mark was about 45 out. Forward flank, outer side to the city end goals. And to pinch a line from Tim Lane, he absolutely "bisected the major uprights"

1 hour ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

From 90’s onwards as memory not the best prior I would take Johnstone, Yze, Davey from a general field kick view. Davey’s skill by foot was heavily undersold. 

Rodney the Grinter was the best, overall;  all weather, all opponents, all distances, all spots on the ground. Cannot remember Rod fluffing a kick - ever - even when in the Reserves team. Footballer and sacrificial lamb with intent. Great man for the Club in those long, mean and lean years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dieter said:

Bernie Massey, when he took over full back from Tas Johnson, kicked the ball just as far.

During the 70's a player who came from WA as a full back was kicking punts from the goal square to the outer wing in Reserves matches. Ray someone.....

Not Ray Biffen (in his earlier years)? 'Biff could launch them, then. As his back became more troublesome, his distance waned.

11 hours ago, robbiefrom13 said:

But as I remember it, Tilbrook was the longest kick. 

Got my vote for longest kick - longer than Bennett, unbelievably - from his effort at Waverley Park in blustery, unfavourable conditions.

11 hours ago, robbiefrom13 said:

I saw those players and agree.  But as I remember it, Tilbrook was the longest kick.  He lined up from near enough the wing and people laughed at him.  He put it through, though.  One of his early games. Well, that's my memory of it, and I always trusted him to kick it no matter how far out.  But he charged past the pack as the ball came off hands, so many times, just on the wrong side of the pack.  He just couldn't get the rhythm of it in Victoria.  For odd kicking style, Warren Dean had his way of holding the ball from underneath - that looked weird.  Good kick generally though.  Greg Parke got odd results.

Greg Parke would out-mark anyone, consistently from anywhere in the pack or so often, approaching the pack from left, right, front and back. He was also a notoriously schizenhausen poor kick on most occasions, particularly when it mattered. 

• Like 1