5 stages of grief

Hello ‘Landers,

Where are we, as individuals, on the Kubler-Ross scale ‘Five Stages of Grief’? The scale is used to describe the stages a person progress through when confronted with a terminal illness. With respect to the current rebuild, it’s now clear that the Deez are terminally ill and another opportunity for a flag has been pizzed up against the proverbial wall.

The five stages of grief are as follows. . . .

1. Denial – The first reaction is denial. In this stage, individuals believe the diagnosis is somehow mistaken, and cling to a false, preferable reality.
  2. Anger – When the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue, they become frustrated, especially at proximate individuals. Certain psychological responses of a person undergoing this phase would be: "Why me? It's not fair!"; "How can this happen to me?"; "Who is to blame?"; "Why would this happen?".
  3. Bargaining – The third stage involves the hope that the individual can avoid a cause of grief. Usually, the negotiation for an extended life is made in exchange for a reformed lifestyle. People facing less serious trauma can bargain or seek compromise. Examples include the terminally ill person who "negotiates with God" to attend a daughter's wedding or an attempt to bargain for more time to live in exchange for a reformed lifestyle.
  4. Depression – "I'm so sad, why bother with anything?"; "I'm going to die soon, so what's the point?"; "I miss my loved one; why go on?"
    During the fourth stage, the individual despairs at the recognition of their mortality. In this state, the individual may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time mournful and sullen.
  5. Acceptance – "It's going to be okay."; "I can't fight it; I may as well prepare for it."
    In this last stage, individuals embrace mortality or inevitable future, or that of a loved one, or other tragic event. People dying may precede the survivors in this state, which typically comes with a calm, retrospective view for the individual, and a stable condition of emotions.

So where are you today?

Edited by Queanbeyan Demon
Formatting

I've been in the Acceptance stage since our Hawthorn loss last year, just waiting for the inevitable, looking for ways to change and improve where we were.

I admittedly fell for the hype early on but it was the Saints loss in round 5 that had me back to where I was, accepting that we have a long way to go.

Many here are still firmly in the Denial or Anger phases. 

Geelong game: Stage 1, its bad now, but it will turn, we're still a good side

St Kilda rd5: Stage 2, how can we lose to this [censored] team again?? 

QB: stage 3: this year is lost but perhaps we can develop in the second half of the year. 5 or 6 wins in the second half I'll be happy, We'll be ok next year.

Now: stage 4, Can't win when they play well, can't play well when they should win. What's the point. We're just gonna lose anyway

Gradually ticking them off this year. Acceptance can't be far away

Edited by ArtificialWisdom

12 minutes ago, Ugottobekidding said:

Next year will be different... change of luck, some players hopefully bavk from long term injuries and some new youth... hardly wrist slashing time. I preduct we will move back up again quite qjickly.

Ugottobekidding mate!!

• Thanks 1

This quote is thrown about a bit in England but it's very relevant for our 2019 season

“It’s not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair.  It’s the hope I can’t stand.

John Cleese (as Brian Stimpson in the film Clockwise)

• Like 3

I have definitely been through each of these this season and can clearly remember each one.  Fortunately, am now we’ll and truly in acceptance.  2019 is gone and there’s nothing I can do about it; may as well enjoy Brisbane playing some exciting football.

However... I am quite confident that we’ll bounce back next season... so it’s possible I’m in ‘bargaining’ still and don’t even realise.

5 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

There is reason for denial there is no reason to call fellow demonlanders turd polishers.

Agree

some folks make themselves feel better by looking down on others  - see I told you we were a terrible team.  I knew ages ago.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roy11 said:

This quote is thrown about a bit in England but it's very relevant for our 2019 season

“It’s not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair.  It’s the hope I can’t stand.

John Cleese (as Brian Stimpson in the film Clockwise)

Great Movie :)

Im in acceptance. I hope last year is not reminiscent of the movie "Awakenings".

I can objectively calculate that mainly injuries held back pre-season because of the injuries themselves and also over training (J.Smith) for a couple and under training for quite a few. Management of this situation was not very good.

I hope that we dont over-react although quite a few have cards marked, we dont try to negotiate for big names as we inevitably pay overs and lastly we get Noah Anderson with pick two and dont sell this pick down the river.

Edited by Damo

About to email the club. If no finals next year it will be my last membership donation. As a MCC member, I don't need it, and I refuse to reward a club that doesn't deliver. 

Edited by ManDee
I suppose that's anger?

1 hour ago, Ugottobekidding said:

Next year will be different... change of luck, some players hopefully bavk from long term injuries and some new youth... hardly wrist slashing time. I preduct we will move back up again quite qjickly.

Yeah, nah. Taylor & co. will trade pick 2 for the Betts/Gibbs package.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

How very self-aware.

Me? I've been stuck in the denial stage since 1965.

Thus your name tells us

One would have to be slightly mad to have a name like that!

always admired it!!

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Thanks 1

I wuld be more worried if I was an Essendon Barracker or a GWS OR Collingwood person. None of them covered themselves in much glory at the weekend 

At least we had a premonition that the wheels would fall off at some time in the game, so I am at Acceptance already. Then the only way is UP

Depression for me. Earlier in the year, I had packed away in a box the members ticket, 2 jerseys (one which my daughters bought me for Xmas last year), bomber jacket and scarf, and now stored on top of the wardrobe. Threw in the bin the calendar, car stickers and 2 guest passes. Have not attended a game since the first St Kilda loss. Will not renew my dedicated demon package next year. Such a waste.