And in the box
Ideas were missing
While the crowd was hissing
Any plan will do ♫

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Damn, I thought this was going to be the official announcement that they’re remaking the 2007 family comedy hit ‘The Game Plan’ starring Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson. 

51pfyuTNbIL._SY445_.jpg

My game plan for next season is to have a year off the football. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Defenders, play on your man, forwards play in front, mids help out in defence and build a wall at half forward when we get it inside F50.

That's my under 11s game plan. Worth a shot?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, leucopogon said:

Defenders, play on your man, forwards play in front, mids help out in defence and build a wall at half forward when we get it inside F50.

That's my under 11s game plan. Worth a shot?

Sounds a bit complicated. How about this. We'll try a manic attack on ball and man. Really all out insane cut snake stuff. Try that for a season and see how we go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, billyblanks35 said:

If you cold copy a teams game style to model us in for 2020 who would it be? 

For me it's Richmond's. Their time and space and ball use is incredible vs ours. Get all their assistants. Copy whatever they're doing. Even at 80% as good as them we'd be winning games.

I think this is the game plan that we are trying to emulate. I went to the Richmond v Port game last round and the Richmond style was similar to our best footy last year. The main differences were that the Richmond mids ran hard both ways and spread so well. No stupid hand balls to stationary targets and aimless punts up the field. It’s chaos ball without the chaos. Also - having two quality talls to hit up definitely helps, as do the legitimate pressure forwards and crumbers.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, 3183 Dee said:

I think this is the game plan that we are trying to emulate. I went to the Richmond v Port game last round and the Richmond style was similar to our best footy last year. The main differences were that the Richmond mids ran hard both ways and spread so well. No stupid hand balls to stationary targets and aimless punts up the field. It’s chaos ball without the chaos. Also - having two quality talls to hit up definitely helps, as do the legitimate pressure forwards and crumbers.

Exactly. We are not fit enough. Physically or mentally 

The MFC can play 10 minutes of good footy and then it falls into a shambles, because the whole team is fatigued. 

Last night i switched the TV off at 3/4 time. I knew exactly what was going to happen, and it did

The list is not fit and match hardened, for whatever reasons. We have a coach who doesn’t have the experience to know how to change course during adversity. 

I doubt we will win another game this season. Goodwin needs experience bought into the Coaching Box otherwise it will be more of the same next year

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

55 minutes ago, 3183 Dee said:

I was at that RIchmond v Port game and this was the most noticeable difference. Riewoldt and Lynch marking it far more often than TMac/Weideman have been, and small forwards making things happen when it hits the ground.

• Like 1

I worked out a complete gameplan drawing inspiration from a combination of Macedonian combined arms, the Roman cohort organisation, the aphorisms of Sun Tzu, and modern blitzkrieg breakthrough tactics, and the anthropology of pre-historic weapons and warfare.

I'm not kidding.

So now at least everyone knows I am just as frustrated as they are, even though I'm usually the one saying it will all be ok in the end.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

I worked out a complete gameplan drawing inspiration from a combination of Macedonian combined arms, the Roman cohort organisation, the aphorisms of Sun Tzu, and modern blitzkrieg breakthrough tactics, and the anthropology of pre-historic weapons and warfare.

I'm not kidding.

So now at least everyone knows I am just as frustrated as they are, even though I'm usually the one saying it will all be ok in the end.

Impressive but you forgot the horned buffalo tactics of the great Shaka Zulu :)

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 2

I’m no Level 4 coach so forgive me if I am missing something, but my game plan would be:

1. Win the ball

2. Hit a target

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2

I know it’s a bit complicated, so it will take a bit of adjusting to, but I reckon we’ve got about 6 months to adapt for next season. Happy if someone wants to pass this onto Goody.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

It is said of Sun Tzu that he applied for a senior coach's role during the Tang dynasty.

He was politely asked to prove his credentials. So he got the son of a club legend, made him captain, and said "now attack the ball hard as you can". The new captain grabbed the ball, ran into trouble, tried to bullock his way through, kicked off the side of his boot out on the full, and got done for holding the ball.

The emperor said: "how is this? You claim to be an expert!" Sun Tzu said: you're right. [censored] this for a joke. And drew his sword and sliced the new captain's head off. Then went to GWS in an assistant coach's role. GWS won the next year's premiership.

True story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

What is wrong.

Creating some separation on the forward line.

Delete the overhead backwards handball.

Onballers not setting up in a fashion to take advantage of Gawns prowess.

Losers blaming Oscar for the clubs woes.

Goodwin needs to get on the front foot, the man is in denial, and has been since Collingwood beat us in the unlosable  game to make the finals, round 22, 2017, then arranges a training camp in 2018 but the players told him to get stuffed.

I am thinking of sending Goodwin my own version of An Idiot’s Guide To Coaching.

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Impressive but you forgot the horned buffalo tactics of the great Shaka Zulu :)

We do that exactly, except for the horns part.

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

It is said of Sun Tzu that he applied for a senior coach's role during the Tang dynasty.

He was politely asked to prove his credentials. So he got the son of a club legend, made him captain, and said "now attack the ball hard as you can". The new captain grabbed the ball, ran into trouble, tried to bullock his way through, kicked off the side of his boot out on the full, and got done for holding the ball.

The emperor said: "how is this? You claim to be an expert!" Sun Tzu said: you're right. [censored] this for a joke. And drew his sword and sliced the new captain's head off. Then went to GWS in an assistant coach's role. GWS won the next year's premiership.

True story.

So close to the original that I must give a nod and imply a secret handshake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The stats from the game reveal that we had fewer forward entries than the sainters but kicked more accurately. Thank goodness we didn't have more elastic band style forward entries (bounce right back) that would have created more scoring opportunities for them.

Nevertheless, if we could retain our new found accuracy and regain our higher forward entry numbers from earlier this year, we might have the beginnings of a workable game plan so long as we can keep the ball in our forward line.

I am still haunted by our game against the cats this year when we had 50% more entries and still lost by 80 points.

7 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

I'm not kidding.

Very similar to how this year's game plan was put together. Except they used the Kama Sutra, and made sure they [censored] everything good and proper.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

I was at that RIchmond v Port game and this was the most noticeable difference. Riewoldt and Lynch marking it far more often than TMac/Weideman have been, and small forwards making things happen when it hits the ground.

TA are you telling me other teams are doing this and it's working?  I thought 'not marking or crumbing off packs etc" was an old fashioned methid that very few teams,, if any, utilised any more.

Are you suggesting a manic attack on the footy by most and extra numbers at the aeriel contest aren't a better method? 

There's no need ro mark up forward  or crumb ground balls surely.

You were possibly having an off night and your mind was imagining and getting a bit muddled.

I have only heard of such things in distant fairy tales from decades ago, the details of which are long forgotten.

13 hours ago, Thehardtackler said:

I am thinking of sending Goodwin my own version of An Idiot’s Guide To Coaching.

Maybe you should...he's  currently  using an Idiot's  Coaching Guide.