Jump to content

olisik

POST GAME: Rd 06 vs Richmond

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Laughing Goat said:

The mids are not a liability if their not winning the ball......they are a liability if they keep having 30 turnovers between them (like last night)

No poise with ball in hand & team first decisions gone.....& as far as being accountable & chasing, that's just discipline.

 

Even Clarrie, for all of his great assets, has become a 'bomber' of the football with added 'over the shoulder, no target...' intent. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Beetle said:

Speaking in metaphorical terms using supermarkets as an example, Essendon v Collingwood on Anzac Day is generally like Woolworths playing Coles.

We are like NQR where you occasionally and surprisingly stumble across a  quality product, but it’s always ridiculously close to a use by date and is only stocked for a limited time.

Great analogy ... loved the bit about C + W, and then NQR stocked for a limited time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Even Clarrie, for all of his great assets, has become a 'bomber' of the football with added 'over the shoulder, no target...' intent. 

Had surgery on both shoulders, and much like Tommy Mac after his surgery on both ankles, looks like he needed to extend his preseason into regular season to rebuild his fitness base. Clarrie has no power  or explosion. Tommy Mac is an endurance beast but looked like he was running on quicksand in JLT1 and as of Round 5 still looks limited.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dimmy said:

1 >   I feel the biggest issue last night was the fumbling which killed any momentum.

2 >  Too much Get ball- get rid of ball

3>   BOMBING !!!!! into Fwd line in AFL guarantees bounceback goals especially when everybody charges after the bombed ball => returns over and away they go

4> No just fix up Weids, Fritsch,( Both relatively inexperienced players.)  Tracc  leading patterns and get the midfielders to lower their eyes and identify them, rather than BOMBING. Lockett could not kick goals ( well maybe not as many) with how the ball is coming in. Surely professional coaches can teach young people how to lead. There are plenty of Video reviews of good player positioning themselves Make Dermy Head Coach, he is the onlt bloke in the world who thinks he could fix it in a week

5> Head bombers last night : Viney, Oliver and Jones. Brayshaw had a few  cut off, but they were genuine passes rather than  bombs.

6> Hore is Good Has heart !!! Lockart is still learning because he has heart . Still learning where to be !!

Our Defence was pretty good last night considering the pressure they were under. Although I do worry when Frosty thinks !!!!

Re fumbling - 100% SPOT ON!!! 

Was the absolute reason we couldn’t get any momentum. I think the cos he’s feel same way - I’ve NEVER seen a side fumble this much over the ball, it’s insanely contagious and reminiscent of WC prelim. 

No idea how it gets fixed but confidence will address a fair chunk of it.. we’ll win 4-6 in last 8 weeks of year once cattle arrive but it’ll be way too late - good news is we’ll have currency to bring in what we need, but not all of it - either a tall fwd, outside mid with poise going inside 50 & players who are clean!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, demoniac said:

Had surgery on both shoulders, and much like Tommy Mac after his surgery on both ankles, looks like he needed to extend his preseason into regular season to rebuild his fitness base. Clarrie has no power  or explosion. Tommy Mac is an endurance beast but looked like he was running on quicksand in JLT1 and as of Round 5 still looks limited.

nice acknowledgment of some truth's about surgery and the impact and flow on's that it has... 

I for one don't believe we have overrated our list with the best 22... there is always refinement for their skills, and there is always deadwood amongst the depth players which need to be turned over... but the surgeries etc has been significant in how we play.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Docs Demons said:

Crowded with oppo players!!! Most disposals being 2 Tigers defenders mainly winning ball by themselves.

Agree. So where are our spare players?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dimmy said:

1 >   I feel the biggest issue last night was the fumbling which killed any momentum.

2 >  Too much Get ball- get rid of ball

3>   BOMBING !!!!! into Fwd line in AFL guarantees bounceback goals especially when everybody charges after the bombed ball => returns over and away they go

4> No just fix up Weids, Fritsch,( Both relatively inexperienced players.)  Tracc  leading patterns and get the midfielders to lower their eyes and identify them, rather than BOMBING. Lockett could not kick goals ( well maybe not as many) with how the ball is coming in. Surely professional coaches can teach young people how to lead. There are plenty of Video reviews of good player positioning themselves Make Dermy Head Coach, he is the onlt bloke in the world who thinks he could fix it in a week

5> Head bombers last night : Viney, Oliver and Jones. Brayshaw had a few  cut off, but they were genuine passes rather than  bombs.

6> Hore is Good Has heart !!! Lockart is still learning because he has heart . Still learning where to be !!

Our Defence was pretty good last night considering the pressure they were under. Although I do worry when Frosty thinks !!!!

Agree on most Dimmy except 2 points, in my opinion......

1/ Fumbles: The reason our mids fumbled Wed night & more than any other game this year (& lets face it, it starts with the mids & on ballers) is because Melky, Hibbo, Trac etc don't normally play in the midfield. So consequently they are unfamiliar with the pressure & the ability to release quickly, hence they panic. This is not a quick fix, but more of a message to the 'usual' mids like Brayshaw, Harmes & Clarry etc to be accountable.

5/ Head bombers: genuine passes......I don't think so! Panic again & no poise......the 4 guys you have mentioned, plus Gawn had a total of 30, yes that's 30.....turnovers. This comes back to skill & the ability to make decisions whilst under pressure.

I wouldn't say head bombers, more like head wobblers.....We have a few players that want to do everything themselves & ignore the team first rules.

Good post though!

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for the record, Tom Mc double ankle surgery was the in September 2017 not this preseason.  https://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-01/ankle-surgery-keeps-young-demon-off-track

I haven't found any reference to him having surgery or other injury issues in this preseason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Just for the record, Tom Mc double ankle surgery was the in September 2017 not this preseason.  https://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-01/ankle-surgery-keeps-young-demon-off-track

I haven't found any reference to him having surgery or other injury issues in this preseason.

Wasn’t he pulled out of the AFLX series this year for a knee clean-out?

 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/afl/melbourne-star-tom-mcdonald-ruled-out-of-aflx-tournament/news-story/27f0fc38237c52de4da69ea3ae3083f2

Edited by Robot Devil
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like we are getting our hands on the ball, but fumbling it, not using it to our advantage and turning it over.

If there was one thing we have to fix it is this, as it has a snowball effect which gives our connection with the forward line no hope whatsoever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Someone's got to do it.

We should start a thread collating posts with deliberate or careless false claims that can be factually proven to be so. A Demonland shame file. Some of the same names will start cropping up pretty quickly I imagine - and maybe that will help to clean up the issue a fraction. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Robot Devil said:

Thanks for highlighting that RD.

I was just trying to correct one of the myths about the interrupted preseason and in particular the 'double ankle' surgery for Tom.  

It seems Tom missed the AFLX 'game' but was in the JLT squads so he effectively had a normal preseason - everyone has niggles and spends some time in 'rehab'.  Going on the training reports players on light duties are often in the 'rehab' group.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, demoniac said:

Had surgery on both shoulders, and much like Tommy Mac after his surgery on both ankles, looks like he needed to extend his preseason into regular season to rebuild his fitness base. Clarrie has no power  or explosion. Tommy Mac is an endurance beast but looked like he was running on quicksand in JLT1 and as of Round 5 still looks limited.

Could well be the case, for both players and if so, fairy Nuff. Hope full recoveries are on the way, as soon as possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bringbackthebiff said:

Agree. So where are our spare players?

Well that is our main problem. We must have spares somewhere and this is where we are falling down with the so called CONNECTION. No one is looking when going into forward line. Just packing themselves and  bombing it and you and I could take marks by ourselves if we were defenders and that is saying something as I am as old as the hills !! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Laughing Goat said:

The mids are not a liability if their not winning the ball......they are a liability if they keep having 30 turnovers between them (like last night)

No poise with ball in hand & team first decisions gone.....& as far as being accountable & chasing, that's just discipline.

 

How are they an asset if they are not winning the ball or getting it back?

The easy the ball rebounds out of our F50 is due to a lack of forward pressure, and the mids inability to chase/harass and create pressure for various reasons (lack of pace, endurance, effort, just being shiz).

They win the ball then they can't kick and they can't chase, watch how easily teams rebound against us. It's not all of the defenders fault we are getting scored against easily.

Look at Brayshaws effort v Reiwoldt. Brayshaw would easily be in our top 2 for tackles in the past. And that was a shiz effort..... so the question is why unfit slow or doesn't care?

You can call it lack of discipline all  you like for me our slow one paced midfield is a liability.

The saddest part about Wednesday night for me was our best mid wasn't even a mid. Goody should have stuck with Melksham in the middle

Edited by Unleash Hell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DeeZee said:

It looks like we are getting our hands on the ball, but fumbling it, not using it to our advantage and turning it over.

If there was one thing we have to fix it is this, as it has a snowball effect which gives our connection with the forward line no hope whatsoever.

The amount of times we had first hands on the ball and couldn't control it was amazing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Dame Gaga said:

Thanks, but I was incorrect with the games always being close. It just seemed that way every time I listened to annoying Collingwood supporters that I know. They are a bad influence. See my other posts nearby.

Haha, no probs. I do stand somewhat by my statement. Poor contests are the exception rather than the rule between these clubs on Anzac day. Sure the drug cheats were reeling for a while - unfortunately not long enough - and this probably impacted the quality of the game since then. From my perspective, the Anzac day has that finals feel to it and even games with a final margin of 4-5 goals have been brilliant, high standard, intense games.🙂

Edited by Boots and all
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Nudge said:

Re fumbling - 100% SPOT ON!!! 

Was the absolute reason we couldn’t get any momentum. I think the cos he’s feel same way - I’ve NEVER seen a side fumble this much over the ball, it’s insanely contagious and reminiscent of WC prelim. 

No idea how it gets fixed but confidence will address a fair chunk of it.. we’ll win 4-6 in last 8 weeks of year once cattle arrive but it’ll be way too late - good news is we’ll have currency to bring in what we need, but not all of it - either a tall fwd, outside mid with poise going inside 50 & players who are clean!

You sure about that? Last 8 weeks of the year include games against the Tigers, Pies, Eagles, Saints, Swans again and North in Tassie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Docs Demons said:

Well that is our main problem. We must have spares somewhere and this is where we are falling down with the so called CONNECTION. No one is looking when going into forward line. Just packing themselves and  bombing it and you and I could take marks by ourselves if we were defenders and that is saying something as I am as old as the hills !! 

We actually tried to lower our eyes on Wednesday but so many times our passes were cut off by Tigers players. Not sure if they just read the play well or we were choosing the wrong options. Then there were the multiple kicks straight to a Tiger player all on their own in our F50.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Unleash Hell said:

How are they an asset if they are not winning the ball or getting it back?

The easy the ball rebounds out of our F50 is due to a lack of forward pressure, and the mids inability to chase/harass and create pressure for various reasons (lack of pace, endurance, effort, just being shiz).

They win the ball then they can't kick and they can't chase, watch how easily teams rebound against us. It's not all of the defenders fault we are getting scored against easily.

Look at Brayshaws effort v Reiwoldt. Brayshaw would easily be in our top 2 for tackles in the past. And that was a shiz effort..... so the question is why unfit slow or doesn't care?

You can call it lack of discipline all  you like for me our slow one paced midfield is a liability.

The saddest part about Wednesday night for me was our best mid wasn't even a mid. Goody should have stuck with Melksham in the middle

My point was that our highly rated mids in Oliver, Brayshaw, Viney & Harmes, were regarded by many in 2018 as the best in the comp & gaining possession or first use of the footy hasn't been the issue......The issue this year has been what they do with the footy when they dispose of it. I am guessing also that Goodwin has finally had enough of our mids lack of accountability, hence the reason for  Brayshaw, & Harmes  not playing any game time in the middle Wed night. I agree Melksham was good too but still 10 or his 25 touches went to the opposition.

I also never said that it was the defenders fault & I feel for them just like every dees fan & it must be a nightmare when the ball is lost in transition.

Our most efficient users of the footy Wed night were two 22 year old's in Fritsch (75% Efficiency/5 turnovers & Stretch 75% Efficiency & 1 turnover) THAT'S WHERE THE PROBLEM IS...... 

Pace not a liability IMO......Tom Mitchell, Sam Mitchell, Scott Pendlebury, Patrick Cripps, Lochie Neale, no Stawell Gift winners & yet prolific ball magnets who just have poise & use the ball well. (Pendlebury 38 touches yesterday, 75% Efficiency & 5 turnovers)

Give me those numbers any day.

BTW.....Oliver was our best tackler last season with an average of nearly 7 per game & Viney next with 6.

 

I liked Melksham as well, however, he had 10 turnovers.....if he's the best mid weve got then we are in a lot of [censored].

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Skuit said:

Love it. TU on some manic warpath of truth in an era of fake news. Good luck mate. Wish I had your stamina.

I have already acknowledged I made a mistake in saying the Collingwood/Essendon ANZAC Day games were always close. It wasn't deliberate, only a misconception on my part due to the hype which surrounds the occasion of these matches. And the fact I know too many rabid Collingwood supporters who talk it up every year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Laughing Goat said:

My point was that our highly rated mids in Oliver, Brayshaw, Viney & Harmes, were regarded by many in 2018 as the best in the comp & gaining possession or first use of the footy hasn't been the issue......The issue this year has been what they do with the footy when they dispose of it. I am guessing also that Goodwin has finally had enough of our mids lack of accountability, hence the reason for  Brayshaw, & Harmes  not playing any game time in the middle Wed night. I agree Melksham was good too but still 10 or his 25 touches went to the opposition.

I also never said that it was the defenders fault & I feel for them just like every dees fan & it must be a nightmare when the ball is lost in transition.

Our most efficient users of the footy Wed night were two 22 year old's in Fritsch (75% Efficiency/5 turnovers & Stretch 75% Efficiency & 1 turnover) THAT'S WHERE THE PROBLEM IS...... 

Pace not a liability IMO......Tom Mitchell, Sam Mitchell, Scott Pendlebury, Patrick Cripps, Lochie Neale, no Stawell Gift winners & yet prolific ball magnets who just have poise & use the ball well. (Pendlebury 38 touches yesterday, 75% Efficiency & 5 turnovers)

Give me those numbers any day.

BTW.....Oliver was our best tackler last season with an average of nearly 7 per game & Viney next with 6.

 

I liked Melksham as well, however, he had 10 turnovers.....if he's the best mid weve got then we are in a lot of [censored].

I don't think we are actually arguing as we agree with each other but in different ways.

Although 10 out of 25 isn't a great ratio Melksham IMO still looked the most damaging. And yes I am saying he looked our most damaging and yes I am saying its a reason why we are [censored]

I also think pace and the ability to cover the ground and put on pressure is important, that is why I believe we have a very poor record on bigger grounds. That is why the tigers are so successful, they don't have highly skilled players but they have pace to put on pressure. Our lines are all slow. The mids need to make up for it but they are all inside plodders.

But in saying all of that I agree 100% with what you are saying. If we can correct our disposal eff/turnovers we will get scored against a lot less and pace won't be an issue.

I am not off the bandwagon but I understand there is a long way to go for this team and 2019 won't be our year

 

 

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dame Gaga said:

I have already acknowledged I made a mistake in saying the Collingwood/Essendon ANZAC Day games were always close. It wasn't deliberate, only a misconception on my part due to the hype which surrounds the occasion of these matches. And the fact I know too many rabid Collingwood supporters who talk it up every year.

I wasn't actually referring to you specifically (and didn't see your later exchange). And I respect that you have acknowledged it was a mistake rather than deflecting it. But presumably you were on the internet when you posted it? Not a nasty criticism directed at you, but perhaps if there was a specific thread collating deliberate or careless inaccuracies as suggested then posters might be discouraged from making false statements or spreading mistruths. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were cooked at quarter time

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A MAN’S ERRAND by KC from Casey

    A young and undermanned Casey Demons were sent out on Saturday to the Swinburne Centre in the shadows of the MCG on a man’s errand against a very experienced Richmond VFL combination which is the clear ladder leader and fielded no less than 18 AFL listed players. It was expected to be a rout and the Tigers made easy work of it in the early stages when they held a 26 point lead by quarter time. To their credit however, the Demons weathered the storm and kept their opponents within the range

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THAT’S FOOTBALL by Whispering Jack

    As the season rolls on towards the finals and the football world witnesses the aftermath of the sacking of the league’s unsuccessful coaches, it’s almost  inevitable that the spotlight will turn firmly upon the complete and utter failure of season 2019 - the Melbourne Football Club.  For a team that finished in fourth place last year and was heavily touted as a premiership contender, the fall from grace has been dramatic. As things stand, the Demons look certain to finish 13 places down on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE MOMENT OF TRUTH IS COMING by KC from Casey

    At half time in Sunday’s game at Trevor Barker Beach Oval, things weren’t looking too flash for the flailing finals prospects of the Casey Demons. Key forward Sam Weideman had suffered a concussion in his first contest and, with a few exceptions, the team was playing like a rabble rather than a finals contender. The Demons were 23 points in arrears to the Zebras and their season was headed towards oblivion. It was the skipper Mitch White who spurred his team on by word and by deed - he fini

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

×
×
  • Create New...