Farewell Jesse Hogan

wizardinoz

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

People are forgetting how mfc does business these days.  The pick # per se, isn't as critical as whether it will satisfy another club for or draft a player we want. 

Sometimes we will go all out to get the picks we need eg Oliver/Weideman.  Sometimes we let the cards fall where they do eg Hibberd, Melksham, Watts ie 'that is the best we can offer/receive' type of deal.

It is only fans that get hung up on the actual pick # and impute a trade value to it.  mfc is much more pragmatic.

Exactly right LH.

There was an excellent article about Taylor a few weeks back and he basically said we are deal makers. We get deals done and those deals specifically focus on a need. We are a good trade to deal with and don't look to 'bend other clubs over' as so many seem to fret about on DL every trade period. We play the long game now. And all power to the draft and trading team.

As I have said  every year that i have posted on DL at this time of year i have little interest in the machinations of the draft, particularly the byzantine swapping of picks of horse trading. Pre - Jackson i worried about our acumen when trading (and drafting for that matter), but i have complete faith now. 

Don't get me wrong i understand why people enjoy discussing the permutations and all power to them. I do however get frustrated by:

• the frequent nashing of teeth over fears of being ripped off
  • criticisms of MFC not playing 'hard ball' often enough
  • bemoaning the picks we are asking for (we want 16 first rounders!) 
  • claims we are always paying 'overs'
  • over wrought concerns about how much coin we are paying (or length of contracts)

Go back and look at some of the discussion around bringing elk to the club for examples of all of the above.

On Hogan i'm spewing it looks like he is going. In all likelihood we will not come out in front of any deal as he is generational player . In my view our best forward since the Ox. I'm sure they would not trade if they had their druthers. But as i have said on a number of occasion sin this thread, of course if wants to leave then you do the best deal you can and make the best of bad situation. You certainly don't try and hold him to his contract.

On his choice i am amazed he would choose to go to freo and all but give up a chance of winning a flag for the next 5-6 years, maybe longer. And travel across the country every two weeks to boot. But as a good demons supporting mate said he understands better than most that life is short, is unlikely to go in the media and may well never be able to earn the sort of coin he could for the next 7-8 years. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, binman said:

Exactly right LH.

There was an excellent article about Taylor a few weeks back and he basically said we are deal makers. We get deals done and those deals specifically focus on a need. We are a good trade to deal with and don't look to 'bend other clubs over' as so many seem to fret about on DL every trade period. We play the long game now. And all power to the draft and trading team.

As I have said  every year that i have posted on DL at this time of year i have little interest in the machinations of the draft, particularly the byzantine swapping of picks of horse trading. Pre - Jackson i worried about our acumen when trading (and drafting for that matter), but i have complete faith now. 

Don't get me wrong i understand why people enjoy discussing the permutations and all power to them. I do however get frustrated by:

• the frequent nashing of teeth over fears of being ripped off
  • criticisms of MFC not playing 'hard ball' often enough
  • bemoaning the picks we are asking for (we want 16 first rounders!) 
  • claims we are always paying 'overs'
  • over wrought concerns about how much coin we are paying (or length of contracts)

Go back and look at some of the discussion around bringing elk to the club for examples of all of the above.

On Hogan i'm spewing it looks like he is going. In all likelihood we will not come out in front of any deal as he is generational player . In my view our best forward since the Ox. I'm sure they would not trade if they had their druthers. But as i have said on a number of occasion sin this thread, of course if wants to leave then you do the best deal you can and make the best of bad situation. You certainly don't try and hold him to his contract.

On his choice i am amazed he would choose to go to freo and all but give up a chance of winning a flag for the next 5-6 years, maybe longer. And travel across the country every two weeks to boot. But as a good demons supporting mate said he understands better than most that life is short, is unlikely to go in the media and may well never be able to earn the sort of coin he could for the next 7-8 years. 

I also dont worry about our Trade team, i know we have a great team who achieve great outcomes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

We have these things called phones. Quite clever devices in told. Everything else .. EVERYTHING ...is for show.

The only possibility there you may have overlooked is that Jesse is signing a big time deal, and is driving up his price... It's been done before. Seems unlikely though...

1 minute ago, SFebes said:

Demonland has gone cray cray

And who can blame them. This is as busy and sad as it's been on here since the Scully trade. Dland has never been the same since then.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Or 7. 6 x 1.2 or 7 x 1.

(Less 49% tax and management fees of course and relocation expenses)

once you factor in a mortgage, private health insurance, grocery prices, he won't have much left!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

First time I've ever seen mgt fees and marginal tax rates come into it.

For those amongst us interested in comparing for-like and not at all interested in delving into management fees and whether a player has structured their tax affairs so as to minimise their tax burder (e.g. JH Management Pty Ltd HQd Singapore providing marketing services to JH Nominees Trust HQd in Grand Caymans and so on), can we stick to headline rates please?

On your last point, I think it would be more about locking him in long term AND getting close to any other offer rather than just minimising the difference (which I reckon was probably implied in your answer anyway).

Are you a public servant? Welcome to the real world. People pay tax

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mondê said:

What happens if one of Weid or TMac suffer a serious injury next? What KPF depth do we have? 

This argument keeps coming up and it’s just stupid. Do you actually think the Weed hangs around as insurance, he will request a trade straight away.

What if any club gets a serious injury to the key forward.  

They play with 1 key goal forward and a mid size one. 

Not rocket science. 

Edited by Demons11
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Demon Disciple said:

Why not, it worked for TMAC

didnt work for Rivers, Chip or Garland though.   oh god they were dark times

in all seriousness I think if O Mac builds up his body over the next 2 years he could make a decent fwd.  better skills than Tom

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Clintosaurus said:

Didn't this all start with Steve Rosich (Freo CEO) telling WA radio he snuck out of the Brownlow for 30 minutes to meet a player and their manager?

I only heard that yesterday for whatever that's worth.

17 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

That's a good point re: the journos... I think though it's now everyone. Even the respected ones are falling in line.

That said, this has been alive for 3 days now... so it's still sort of early.

Does say a lot though that it's drowning out a lot of other trade talk and even drowning out the GF media.

Journos these days all fall into line so they aren't left standing on their own if they get it right, and also the other way. It gives them all a way out.

1 minute ago, Clintosaurus said:

Journos these days all fall into line so they aren't left standing on their own if they get it right, and also the other way. It gives them all a way out.

That's one of the little things I'm thinking. I reckon in the last few years Journos have lost the plot. There's more of them than players, and there's less and less content as the clubs attempt to control their own message through their own media departments. The consequence is the journos go even harder at fake news... At least I hope that's the case here.

• Like 1

Just now, Demons11 said:

This argument keeps coming up and it’s just stupid.

What if any club gets a serious injury to the key forward.  

They play with 1 key goal forward and a mid size one. 

Not rocket science. 

No need to be a [censored] about it.

It's a legitimate question, 50 goal per season key position forwards don't grow on trees. The jury is still out on Weid, as well as our entire mid size forward fleet with the exception of Melksham.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Are you a public servant? Welcome to the real world. People pay tax

Including those working in public services, of course.

My point, not clearly made, was that these factors are essentially fixed costs wheresoever he goes.

800k/year at Melbourne.

1.2M/year (or whatever, hypothetical of coursE) at Freo.

Same marginal tax rate as far as I am aware, albeit with a larger absolute tax take on higher lever due to MLS and mo' money. For simplicity it's easier for this battler's brain to consider headline rates so I don't need to have a complex model accounting for a player's current fixed and variable costs current state versus future state.

Perhaps it's my fault for not comprehending your reason for including it in the discussion where hitherto it had not been.

2 minutes ago, Mondê said:

No need to be a [censored] about it.

It's a legitimate question, 50 goal per season key position forwards don't grow on trees. The jury is still out on Weid, as well as our entire mid size forward fleet with the exception of Melksham.

Everyone's getting a bit narky eh./

Time for a stiff drink and a lay down. Especially all those public service slackers and Mad Men!

:roos:

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, GCDee said:

Timmy Smith

Would prefer Pedersen, Smith is one of the worst kicks for goal i have seen, he kicked 12 goals, 26 behinds for Casey this year, Pedo kicked 32 goals, 8 behinds.

Edited by DavidNeitz9
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Maybe we are going so hard at Preuss because we know Jesse is leaving and the third tall in the forward line will be resting ruckman?

Why else would Preuss leave North if not guaranteed game time?

• Like 1