Go and get Gaff!

McQueen

Just now, Jaded said:

You dare not. For one, Gaff is a RFA. We don’t need to give West Coast jackshit for him. But I mean if you want to volunteer trading one of the best young forwards in the competition, I’m sure you’ll be all ears ?

That was the response I expected, I love Hoges, just being silly!

On 7/15/2018 at 9:47 PM, grazman said:

He'd be irresponsible to stay... ergo he will leave.

Not sure if it was Healy or not, but Gerard usually gets pretty good mail.  He's pretty close to a number of players.

Are the eagles trying to push Gaff out ? 

You'd think they would be wanting stars to stay on...  Would have thought.

One question to ask is this:

Can we afford not to get Gaff? I.e. can we handle another team getting him instead? I would argue that the answer is no, and I’d keep everything on the table until at such time, any prospective deal doesn’t benefit us in totality.

if we do have to match (Like Danger did for Adelaide) I wonder if we can throw Perth origin Jeffy Garlett in as a sweetener (with Tyson + picks). He's getting older, but he'll give them 3 or 4 years of high quality small forward craft i'd have thought. Looks disinterested (in body language) as a demon right now.

Edited by johndemonic

33 minutes ago, johndemonic said:

if we do have to match (Like Danger did for Adelaide) I wonder if we can throw Perth origin Jeffy Garlett in as a sweetener (with Tyson + picks). He's getting older, but he'll give them 3 or 4 years of high quality small forward craft i'd have thought. Looks disinterested (in body language) as a demon right now.

i don't think west coast would want tyson or garlett, and i doubt picks that we will be able to offer them (e.g. this year's second rounders that we hold) will do them much good

they'll either keep gaff or let him walk and use the compo pick, either as a trade or as an actual pick

the general story today seems to be that they're keeping him and mcgovern and lycett, which seems remarkable - some speculation is that most of nic nat's 2019 payments can go into the injury payments, so they get some salary cap relief there, and then he's only contracted til end of 2020 i believe, and obviously won't be paid at the same ratio as current as he'll have missed three prime years of his football life with knee knacks - i'm sure he'll still be on $1m or thereabouts, but in terms of 2021-24 pay that'll be lower portion of cap to his current remuneration 

Edited by whatwhatsaywhat

6 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

i don't think west coast would want tyson or garlett, and i doubt picks that we will be able to offer them (e.g. this year's second rounders that we hold) will do them much good

they'll either keep gaff or let him walk and use the compo pick, either as a trade or as an actual pick

the general story today seems to be that they're keeping him and mcgovern and lycett, which seems remarkable - some speculation is that most of nic nat's 2019 payments can go into the injury payments, so they get some salary cap relief there, and then he's only contracted til end of 2020 i believe, and obviously won't be paid at the same ratio as current as he'll have missed three prime years of his football life with knee knacks - i'm sure he'll still be on $1m or thereabouts, but in terms of 2021-24 pay that'll be lower portion of cap to his current remuneration 

Nic Nat I think is only contracted until end of 2019. His next contract will be well south of $1m per year and he will accept it, as he has been heavily paid while injured. WC have been good to him and he will repay them with a reduced contract.

• Like 1

Word is Gaff was on his way to us. The Eagles have upped the ante with extended offer and more money. He’ll probably still come but we’re going to have to pay serious dollars

• Like 5

On 5/5/2018 at 9:00 PM, Moonshadow said:

Vince yes.

We have a couple of RFAs to re-sign ourselves don't we? Tmac and Nev?

already done Moon

1 hour ago, Roost It said:

Word is Gaff was on his way to us. The Eagles have upped the ante with extended offer and more money. He’ll probably still come but we’re going to have to pay serious dollars

I don’t care what we pay for him.

With Jones, Lewis and Vince in the twilight of their careers, we’ll need to get younger legs into the team now.

Whilst he’s no Josh Kelly, Gaff is far superior to any other gut-running mids with above average skills and a very handy inside game.

Must get it done.

Edited by McQueen

1 hour ago, Roost It said:

You got inside mail, Roost?

25 minutes ago, McQueen said:

I don’t care what we pay for him.

With Jones, Lewis and Vince in the twilight of their careers, we’ll need to get younger legs into the team now.

Whilst he’s no Josh Kelly, Gaff is far superior to any other gut-running mids with above average skills and a very handy inside game.

Must get it done.

And those three, while not on big coin, would still be on good enough money that their eventual retirements will free up some further cap room for the club to re-sign our own players and lure a big time free agent from others.

5 minutes ago, Roost It said:

Always, although this info it’s well known in AFL circles

Feel free to remind me of any inside mail you had in the past that has come to fruition so I can get excited about Gaff.

Was it you that said Roos was definitely coming to us?   I get mixed up with posters sometimes.

14 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Would anyone have a qualm if he became our highest paid player?? I wouldn't!!

i would. i dont rate gaff as high as others. he is poor defensively and one paced. he is just an accumulator to me with above average foot skills.

9 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

i would. i dont rate gaff as high as others. he is poor defensively and one paced. he is just an accumulator to me with above average foot skills.

Re Skills, so an improvement on everyone except Oliver, Salem & Fritsch?

Edited by johndemonic

2 hours ago, Roost It said:

WC upping the years and dollars would ensure they get best compo when they lose him to free agency. Imagine the SC pressure if Gaff were to accept and stay, especially after signing on McGovern to big money. They'd be releasing contracted B and C graders during trade week quicker than a plane dumping fuel in an emergency!

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, johndemonic said:

Re Skills, so an improvement on everyone except Oliver, Salem & Fritsch?

yeah, probably. i mean most of his kicks are pretty easy spot up kicks with not much risk attached. he probably cant kick too much further than 50m. I'd just much prefer to grab a key defender and alleviate the oscar mcdonald effect than to get an outside midfielder. if anyrhing i'd go for aaron hall and would almost prefer him at his money

9 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

yeah, probably. i mean most of his kicks are pretty easy spot up kicks with not much risk attached. he probably cant kick too much further than 50m. I'd just much prefer to grab a key defender and alleviate the oscar mcdonald effect than to get an outside midfielder. if anyrhing i'd go for aaron hall and would almost prefer him at his money

Which KPD's do you have in mind and what kind of trade/price range are you thinking? Steven May is obviously ideal but could be out of our league and unavailable anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I think we should be targeting Mitch Wallis, who is a year older and on the outer at the Dogs apparently and will come a lot cheaper. If you can get both great.

Pretty big difference between Gaff and Wallis.

I get your point though. I'm sure we are going to go hard at free agents this year. We are right in the window so don't need skinny kids, we need to improve our list ASAP to win a flag.

I'd like to see us also go after a mature key defender but not sure what the options are.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

Pretty big difference between Gaff and Wallis.

I get your point though. I'm sure we are going to go hard at free agents this year. We are right in the window so don't need skinny kids, we need to improve our list ASAP to win a flag.

I'd like to see us also go after a mature key defender but not sure what the options are.

Not sure the club sees that as a priority. Oscar, Frost, Lever next year, Petty after a second pre season and Keilty is a fair bunch. Tim Smith can also go back and Joel Smith though a bit shorter can also pinch hit. Assuming Pedo has retired and if not he is another who can pinch hit.  

Who would you be looking at?