Bring Back the Place Kick???

Demonland

Apparently the last place kick was Tony Ongarello is 1955 .... and no I cannot remember it !!

Towards the end of the Round 4 match between Fitzroy and Geelong at the Brunswick Street Oval Fitzroy full-forward Tony Ongarello was so upset with his own inaccurate kicking that, upon taking a mark, he indicated to the field umpire that he was going to kick a place-kick. He scored a goal. He was so impressed that he kicked one more goal in that match with a place kick. He kicked several goals later in the season from place kicks as well, but ultimately had little more success with place kicks than he had with punts.[2] Although it has never been (and is still not) against the rules to do so, he is on record as the last player ever to score a goal with a place kick in a senior VFL match. Ongarello was not the first player to attempt to revive the place kick in 1955: South Melbourne full forward Colin Vance had unsuccessfully attempted a place kick for goal on debut three weeks earlier.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1955_VFL_season

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trisul said:

:blink: How about the drop kick?  I reckon Hibberd could get a good 70m pass going from defensive fifty to thirty out that doesn't go above chest height.  

If drop kicks come back into football it will require a rule change, or, to use AFL-speak, a fresh interpretation of a rule. Currently if a player is tackled and kicks the ball after it hits the ground first, it's considered to be incorrect disposal and a free is paid to the tackler. I don't know why that's the case. It's a drop kick, not always expertly delivered and never deliberately intended. But it's still a drop kick.

• Like 1

Wasn’t the longest ever goal from a place kick? Could be fake news, but I remember hearing that somewhere, and fake news wasn’t a term back when it happened. 

Edit: or didn’t happen. 

Edited by Deestroy All

7 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Apparently the last place kick was Tony Ongarello is 1955 .... and no I cannot remember it !!

Towards the end of the Round 4 match between Fitzroy and Geelong at the Brunswick Street Oval Fitzroy full-forward Tony Ongarello was so upset with his own inaccurate kicking that, upon taking a mark, he indicated to the field umpire that he was going to kick a place-kick. He scored a goal. He was so impressed that he kicked one more goal in that match with a place kick. He kicked several goals later in the season from place kicks as well, but ultimately had little more success with place kicks than he had with punts.[2] Although it has never been (and is still not) against the rules to do so, he is on record as the last player ever to score a goal with a place kick in a senior VFL match. Ongarello was not the first player to attempt to revive the place kick in 1955: South Melbourne full forward Colin Vance had unsuccessfully attempted a place kick for goal on debut three weeks earlier.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1955_VFL_season

Memories on important matters like this - the place kick - unfortunately fade across the years into hazy recollections and uncertain beliefs. A good exponent never missed a goal with the place kick, that I can remember - very similar to some of the great drop punters or floppy end-on punters (Hawthorn's Peter Hudson) whereas not-so-good exponents missed quite a few. What surprises me is that way back in 1955 Tony Ongarello was the last officially recorded place kick exponent in a VFL game - I was sure these kicks went into the 1960s, as well. Just like the good old White Diamond footy boots with the hardened heel that we all thought was for Collingwood players' jaws when they were on the ground rolling around for a free kick or for digging into the ground to form a 'set' for the place kick itself.

16 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

If drop kicks come back into football it will require a rule change, or, to use AFL-speak, a fresh interpretation of a rule. Currently if a player is tackled and kicks the ball after it hits the ground first, it's considered to be incorrect disposal and a free is paid to the tackler. I don't know why that's the case. It's a drop kick, not always expertly delivered and never deliberately intended. But it's still a drop kick.

K'Oath!

19 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

Wasn’t the longest ever goal from a place kick? Could be fake news, but I remember hearing that somewhere, and fake news wasn’t a term back when it happened. 

Edit: or didn’t happen. 

Just did a bit of a search for the answer of my own question. And the longest place kick in a game I could find was 98 metres. Doesn’t say if it was a goal though. 

Lol taking a mark at half back and [censored] around setting up a place kick, I love it. 

44 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

True, but that happens often enough and is only sometimes called (there was one not paid in the bombers game).  I think the drop kick actually has a place for quickly going somewhat under the coming defender that was on the mark to an open man forward and wide.  

Edited by Trisul

Remember Brereton doing it against us at the G in the 90's? & l thought at the time what a lairising tool because Dawks were killing us. It may have even been a reserves game but he definitely place kicked it.

Edited by wizardinoz

Just on the drop kick, this is the best kick to use to correct flaws in kicking.  You have to get the ball drop right or you can't kick a drop kick.  When I was a lot younger I had a high ball drop pretty close to a two hand drop.  six weeks of kicking nothing but drop kicks improved that, same as learning left foot as soon as the kicking action has there, on to the drop kick to get the ball drop right.

• Like 2

I thought the place kick was regularly used in footy in the early 20th century, at a time when the game was less frenetic.

As for the drop kick: I questioned a former AFL coach about its revival and was told it was just too difficult to execute on the run and apparently teams have banned players from using it. Bad luck, because a well executed drop kick is beautiful to behold.

34 minutes ago, drdrake said:

Just on the drop kick, this is the best kick to use to correct flaws in kicking.  You have to get the ball drop right or you can't kick a drop kick.  When I was a lot younger I had a high ball drop pretty close to a two hand drop.  six weeks of kicking nothing but drop kicks improved that, same as learning left foot as soon as the kicking action has there, on to the drop kick to get the ball drop right.

These were the practices that my coaches put me through to improve some loose kicking habits. Almost exactly. I had to learn to kick with the right foot this way, too, as a natural leftie. The 'drop' was critical, angled, smooth, guided by same-side hand, nose over the ball, almost. I was lucky, it all worked and worked very quickly; increasing accuracy, distance, control and improving the outcomes of kicking itself. Nicely posited, DrDrake.

been watching footy at all levels since the 50's and never saw a place kick in a game

even in the 50's it was considered a distant footnote in history

ongarello's effort(s) were seen as an oddity at the time and only tolerated because there was no specific rule against it and it was so rare

still no rule barring it, but the 30sec rule and unavailability of a kicking tee effectively would stop it  

13 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

been watching footy at all levels since the 50's and never saw a place kick in a game

even in the 50's it was considered a distant footnote in history

ongarello's effort(s) were seen as an oddity at the time and only tolerated because there was no specific rule against it and it was so rare

still no rule barring it, but the 30sec rule and unavailability of a kicking tee effectively would stop it  

Could a teammate hold the ball like American football? Would be another novel way for Petracca to get injured as Tyson kicks him square in the face. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

Could a teammate hold the ball like American football? Would be another novel way for Petracca to get injured as Tyson kicks him square in the face. 

an interesting image

if a teammate was in the protected area then his opponent could be too, niggling the teammate as he held the ball.

of course the umpire would insist in clearing the protected area

and finally, when the player handed the ball to his teammate it would be play-on or incorrect disposal

so i think cp5 would be saved from tyson's kicking ?

Bring back the place kick?  Can you believe that.  What about the sawdust as you won't be able to dig for soil. Imaging the pot holes if you had to. How would you be if a long term injury occurred like a stubbed big toe. No place kicks for TMAC.

7 hours ago, daisycutter said:

well peter hudson's stock kick was a flat punt.......and very effective it was at all distances

You rang ?

• Like 1