Post Match Discussion - Round 1

Demonland

Someone said Thursday we lost this at the  selection table (wasn’t me!). I thought hmmm let hope not. But think they were correct. Playing Garlett, Hannon and Fritsch in the same team seems an odd decision. Especially when in the first three quarters especially everyone would fly for the ball (including the crumbers ?). I like the enthusiasm but please ffs some guys stay down at a contest for the inevitable crumb. 

Would have rathered seen Tyson, Brawshaw or even Bugg and one less small forward. Strange old setup forward today and was reflected in lack of pressure and scoring from all the inside 50s. All over the place. They lowered their eyes in the second half which was better.

Frost I think wluld have been handy too but Gw couldn’t have known the backs would have a shocker esp in the first half

Last year we broke teams open and had guys free out the back. Didn’t happen once today  

Maynard tagging?? Hmmmm

Feel sorry for Max but the game was lost in the second. Takes a hell of a lot of energy to come back from behind.

Lewis has a good second half but owed us a lot with his brain fade in the second. 

Id like to see a few changes to the team next week please he and co ?

Edited by Dusty_Hill
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, P-man said:

Wagner deserves credit for turning a poor game into a mixed bag. He did some impressive things defensively and offensively in the second half. But it doesn’t change the liability he was in the first. 

Wagner made three errors in the first quarter that cost us goals and on the other side of the ledger did two good things in the first Q. Two often he looks like a year 7 running around trying to get the ball off a year 12. And not succeeding 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

I think in the midfield, Jones, Oliver, Trac and Viney are the only natural footballers. The rest are good runners and athletes but don’t have much footy smarts.

You may well be right there Chook.  

Just now, leave it to deever said:

I appreciate your posivity amidst the doom but how do we tweek total quarter fadeouts. Its uncanny and between the ears.

It's a fair question, and one that should have been answered by now.  What do we tweak when the pressure mounts?  How do we turn the screws when they kick a couple to ensure that couple doesn't become 5 or 6?

I'm not really sure, but then I'm not a senior coach.  They have to work it out, fast, otherwise we won't match it with the big boys.

46 minutes ago, Robot Devil said:

And at half time at the ground they showed an Ablett highlights package on the big screen.  

It was our home game! What the eff is that about?!?

They didn't even show the two occasions that he got pinged for holding the ball. 

Yeh I'm also wondering what we are doing highlighting an opposition player at half time on home game day.  Wot a load of BS.....no other club wld allow this crap!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Males said:

Our defensive pressure was shocking for most of today. At one stage the Cats had 20 scoring shots from 24 inside 50 entries, about 83%. The AFL average is 44-48%. Just shows how easily we let them spread and move the ball, then deliver basically uncontested ball into their F50.

I thought Garlett, Melksham, Hannan, Jetta and Maynard were really off. Starting to think Garlett is done.

Really really early call in Garlett. I’m not going to say you are wrong but I haven’t even seen a hint of him being done. I don’t even think he is in particularly bad form, he just isn’t in great form. 

• Like 1

I left the G dejected, sideways, with the hiccups thinking things couldn’t get much worse.

I then got an Uber, with the charasmatic Indian driver asking me what type of music I prefer?

I inform him I like heavier type music, much to his pleasant surprise!

He then proceeds to absolutely crank the first Coal Chamber album, which is downright awful...expecting me to like it.

I need to head to bed...damn you Melbourne.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, D4Life said:

The positive was Oliver, Trac, Jones were very good but not enough support. OMac held Hawkins to one. We only lost by 3 points and had a very average day!

One behind that is. The kid was really impressive today, never let Hawkins out of his sight even when they were basically walking through our goals in the second quarter.

Sitting behind the Punt Rd goals it was impressive to see OMac trying to settle our  other defenders down and barking instructions at them during that crappy 2nd quarter lapse. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Gorgoroth said:

Maynard to Ablett was not a smart move.

Really need to work on our hittinf of targets, especially into the F50.

Agree, reminded me of the Jordie McKenzie days.

Jones had a stinker in the first half. Later got back into it a bit.

Our ability to rebound from our back half was atrocious.  Our kick outs were easily read, and we were outmarked over and over again.

Our half forwards seemed out of position and we therefore had to bomb into the 50 - where we were outmarked consistently.

We let then get outside and didn’t chase back defensively back hard enough.

The first quarter was a drag race.  The second a disgrace.  We did not have the polish to get home in the end.

Didnt deserve 4 points.

Too many passengers in the first half.

Lots of Love for Clarry and Trac, Maxxy owned the middle.  Salem was good until smashed.  Should have gone straight off.

I have always bench an Omac critique but I think his the least of our worries today. He is probably one of our only players who won there position.

i want to know who the hell was playing on Menzel.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, zeldacat said:

It amazes me how me, the novice supporter in me can see Geelong's game plan to always pass, kick, tap (throw!) out to space to allow a runner come through to carry the ball. We continue with this handballing in tight - which Geelong never do - and we get caught. I thought last year we would've learnt to keep a man down (not go up for the marking contest) and always have someone at the front of the pack for the crumb - but no, we still don't do this and that is a real frustration that teams continue to have a player at the ball drop in front to carry the ball.  And our crap kicking skills to position too - too many high floaters. Disappointing that we haven't fixed this in the off season.  Will be disappointed for another hour or so, and then move on. Ugh!

The overuse of the extra hand ball or two (sometimes more!) in tight is costing us big time and has needed addressing for at least the last 2 seasons or so Zelda.

If we don't fix it other clubs will continue to have a field day pressuring us on the outside, getting an extra number or so out wide/out back and running off at will as the cats did today on numerous occasions.  Too many players at the drop don't help either.

Thought I saw us starting to correct this during a few matches last year yet here we are again with the same old problem in this area.

• Like 1