Top 10 Exciting Demons

Top 10 Exciting Demons   

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Happy times.  Let’s remember the top excitement machines in the red and blue. 

They got us on our feet. The roar of the Demon army on the MCG. 

Some were only flashes in our history but nonetheless were game changers. 

My top 10 in the last 30 years

10- Gary Lyon

9- David Neitz

8- Jeff White

7- Aaron Davey

6- Russell Robertson 

5- Jeremy Howe 

4- Liam Jurrah 

3- David Schwartz 

2- Jeff Farmer

My # 1- Allen Jakovich  

Of course apologies to a few or any that I may have missed. Will Jesse Hogan make the list??

Edited by spirit of norm smith
X
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, mo64 said:

How can Robbie Flower not be on the list?

PS: Can you at least spell their names right.

Because it's only for the last 30 years.

Which makes me maudlin when I realise it's now 30 years (30!) since Robert Flower retired as the greatest Melbourne player I've seen. No-one in the last 30 years* has even come close.

*I'm not discounting the current young guns, such as Petracca, Hogan and Oliver. It's just too soon to know with any of them.

• Like 1

Completely subjective of course, but mine in order of how exciting they were for me is:

1. LIAM JURRAH - Perhaps the most naturally gifted player i have seen

2. THE WIZ - Just loved it every time he got the ball

3. JAKO - Always stayed close to the ground but just super clever and strong. Capable of ridiculous goals on a regular basis

4. THE OX - Unbelievable before hampered by knee injuries

5. AARON DAVEY - Kept me going to the footy through the dark times

6. GARRY LYON - Silky smooth and skilful but too often injured

7. DAVID NIETZ - Not so much 'exciting' but just good and strong

8. JEREMY HOWE - Best hands and speccy I have seen. Incomplete footballer though

9. ROBBO - Cause he was ROBBO!!! Started as a lazy opportunist and turn his game into a much more allrounded one

10. JEFF WHITE - Played against much bigger opponents but a great judge of the flight of the ball. Excellent mobility and kicking skills.

Edited by btdemon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CatFishPig said:

I don't see how you can vote for anyone but Farmer...

The Wiz wins this by 20 goals...

Agree and Davey at his best. (remember it is most exciting .. not best).

The absolute best when on song and unfortunately that was not often.... Travis Johnstone...... third quarter against Adelaide in a final at the MCG..... best I have ever seen played.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

For pure excitement - it's Farmer for mine.

I think the years may have made many forget how inconsistent and frustrating the Wiz could be as a player, but when he was 'on', there was no one who could match him.

One surprising absentee from the list is Jim Stynes. I would think that his revolutionary ruck style, incredible endurance and the number of successive games he strung together, would earn him a place on the list. Of course winning a Brownlow in a landslide would also point to this.

• Like 3

1. Jakovich

2. Pre knee Ox

3. Jurrah

4.  Wiz

5. Sean Charles

6. Robbo

7. Howe

8. Flash

9. Stinga

10. Chopper Lovell

Interesting that 4 of my top 5 were cruelled by injury and never reached their full potential.

Jakovich potentially could have been up in the top goalkickers of all time, bloke was immense.

Pre knee Ox was unbelievable. So agile and such a high flier. We only got a glimpse of it, he could have changed the game. A totally different player to the bullocking forward we saw for the majority of his career.

Jurrah not much needs to be said. An absolute freak of the game. I've never been to a another game when the roar and electricity in the crowd would rise when the ball was 50m away from a player but you knew they were going to do something special.

And Sean Charles, another what could have been. As a young fella I was devastated he couldn't fix that wrist.

Imagine if we had the medical/physio teams we have today, we could have won a lot more in the 90s!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Redbeard said:

1. Jakovich

2. Pre knee Ox

3. Jurrah

4.  Wiz

5. Sean Charles

6. Robbo

7. Howe

8. Flash

9. Stinga

10. Chopper Lovell

Interesting that 4 of my top 5 were cruelled by injury and never reached their full potential.

Jakovich potentially could have been up in the top goalkickers of all time, bloke was immense.

Pre knee Ox was unbelievable. So agile and such a high flier. We only got a glimpse of it, he could have changed the game. A totally different player to the bullocking forward we saw for the majority of his career.

Jurrah not much needs to be said. An absolute freak of the game. I've never been to a another game when the roar and electricity in the crowd would rise when the ball was 50m away from a player but you knew they were going to do something special.

And Sean Charles, another what could have been. As a young fella I was devastated he couldn't fix that wrist.

Imagine if we had the medical/physio teams we have today, we could have won a lot more in the 90s!

Chopper Lovell. Hard at the footy. Yes and yes. One of our heart and soul types. 

Excitement machine.  No. 

• Love 1