Looking ahead ... the Path to September

Diamond_Jim

The path to the finals will have a lot to do with the draw given how close the competition is, Swans have a relatively favourable draw along with Bombers. We on the other hand have a harder draw. Lid can only come off if we win the next few which in this season must be a significant if.... 

that said the last few weeks have changed what it is like to be a dees supporter and I really believe we are in the hunt this Friday.

Best way I can describe where we're at is "uncharted territory", most of us are still expecting the alarm to go off and to awaken from this pleasant dream at any moment. 

The rest of the competition and press are confused and starting to get concerned that we may have built a team that will kill their team's hopes and dreams.

The wheel's turned. 

• Like 3

On 6/25/2017 at 7:46 PM, bing181 said:

Except that they're not all out. Hogan due back in a week or two, Watts this week, and we don't know that Viney or Garlett will be out at all.

So all but Viney are now out this week! :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brendan said:

If we pull off a win this week with all our outs will be very impressive and I think we will finish top 4 if we can 

will the path take a twist this weekend and moreover shall we emerge on the goat track of Thermopylae or will it be the glorious yellow brick road of Oz

ZZwX8klrLGgAAAAASUVORK5CYIIA

• Like 1

12 is the magic number.

11 wins won't get you a finals spot. Go run the ladder predictor with as many different scenarios as possible, and you wont find one where 11 wins gets you in.

4 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

12 is the magic number.

11 wins won't get you a finals spot. Go run the ladder predictor with as many different scenarios as possible, and you wont find one where 11 wins gets you in.

Do you think 12 makes it for sure? Or 80% of the time?

7 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Do you think 12 makes it for sure? Or 80% of the time?

80% of the time, every time.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

12 is the magic number.

Challenge accepted. I even got us into the top 4 and Collingwood on the bottom of the ladder.

j9zJEVy.png

Edited by Chook
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Chook said:

Challenge accepted. I even got us into the top 4 and Collingwood on the bottom of the ladder.

j9zJEVy.png

wow.... what a ladder

Must have made for a real heart stopping final round..

And to end with Collingwood as the wooden spooner is gold in itself

well done (but Richmond must be ninth to make it perfect!!)

We have the Saints, Carlton, North, Lions and Collingwood to play.

In a simple world they should all be wins and that will give us 13.

We also have Port at the MCG plus Adelaide in Darwin

Hogan and Garlett back next week with Watts the next week.

No excuses if we don't make the 8

• Like 1

Not to underestimate the Blues but we are lucky we have Carlton and then Adelaide and Port

The games against Adelaide and Port were always going to be hard to win but fingers crossed we then have the bulk of our players back for the run home.

Lose to Carlton and we will have to beat one of Adelaide or Port before hitting our "golden stretch'.

Despite all the injuries I'm quietly optimistic about the next month.  Our games are:

• Carlton who play a scrappy lock down game - an inferior version of the Swan's game
  • Adelaide who got sucked into the Carlton scrappy game style and looked bog ordinary today.
  • Port...that might be a bridge too far, alto it is at the G.
  • North who are being thrashed by GCS (its only half time tho)

If we can get a couple of players back each week (and critically not lose any more) we can take it right up to Carlton, Adelaide and North.  We have already beaten the first 2 and North won because they got away with some really rough stuff.  Now that umpires are calling them out for the rough stuff and giving free kicks and 50m North have struggled.   

The last 4 games are GWS, Stk, Brisbane and Collingwood.  Again we have already beaten 3 of the 4 and the last 3 are at the G.  We should rest the whole team for the GWS game and prepare for the run home (...that is tongue in cheek, folks).

So, fellow Dee supporters, lets not loose heart.  Plenty of the season to play out still and we have a very good chance in most of the games. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Despite all the injuries I'm quietly optimistic about the next month.  Our games are:

• Carlton who play a scrappy lock down game - an inferior version of the Swan's game
  • Adelaide who got sucked into the Carlton scrappy game style and looked bog ordinary today.

If we can get a couple of players back each week (and critically not lose any more) we can take it right up to Carlton, Adelaide and North.  We have already beaten the first 2 and North won because they got away with some really rough stuff.  Now that umpires are calling them out for the rough stuff and giving free kicks and 50m North have struggled.   

The last 4 games are GWS, Stk, Ess and Collingwood.  Again we have already beaten 3 of the 4 and the last 3 are at the G.  We should rest the whole team for the GWS game and prepare for the run home (...that is tongue in cheek, folks).

So, fellow Dee supporters, lets not loose heart.  Plenty of the season to play out still and we have a very good chance in most of the games. 

Not Ess but Brisbane - 2nd last game.

13 minutes ago, MT64 said:

Not Ess but Brisbane - 2nd last game.

Thanks, fixed my post.

That is even better for us - makes me even more optimistic!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The last 4 games are GWS, Stk, Brisbane and Collingwood.  Again we have already beaten 3 of the 4 and the last 3 are at the G.  We should rest the whole team for the GWS game and prepare for the run home (...that is tongue in cheek, folks).

I like the idea of resting players against GWS.

• Like 2

The easiest way for me to break it down is to say we need to win one of Carlton/North, one of Adelaide/Port/GWS and then two of St Kilda/Brisbane/Collingwood.

3 minutes ago, Razor said:

I like the idea of resting players against GWS.

We'd have to have fit players to rest them.

If we get over Carlton next week and can bring back one or maybe even two good player(s) each week we will be right.

In truth we have a good run home in the sense that if we want to be any kind of force in the finals the last four games are the type we should win.

Adelaide have shown they are beatable on several occasions. Beat them and we might even scrape into top four.

This Carlton game is just so important ... Go dees

We are now at Thermopylae and like the 300 Spartans we must stand firm and make sure those sneaky blighters don't find the goat track and get behind us !!!

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 2

I think we need 13 to lock in finals 

I think we'll beat Carlton even with our outs, the Lions and the pies. So if we can win two from the rest of those games I think we'll get there. 

The big thing is still being around the mark in 4 weeks time when we get these guys back, if we beat Carlton and can managed to beat one of Adelaide, port or the giants, all three we are a chance in, I think we'll be okay need at least 1 but ideally 2 wins from that lot 

The injuries we've got force us to look week by week again. I was trying not to get too far ahead but I must admit I was dreaming of September action. It's still very much on the cards but boy we will have to dig deep. 

Carlton next week is a huge challenge, we certainly didn't smash them off the park last time and I think they've improved. They pushed Adelaide all the way. Seeing our depleted list they will give themselves a big chance against us. 

We should have some players coming back but it's in the middle where we have been hard hit, 3 of our starting midfielders and ball extractors gone for an extended period. Oliver, Petracca, Vince, Lewis, and players brought in from Casey are going to have to step up big time. Might be time for Trenners to come in. 

David King was wondering why Melbourne fans were refusing to get too excited, this is why. Every time we seem to reach the end of the tunnel it comes crashing down. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, brendan said:

Does anyone think we might struggle to make finals now with all our injuries, Carlton will need to be a must win if we lose have some tough games after that, I'm a bit worried now 

Your not alone mate.

• Like 1