If we beat Saints round 1 I will ...

57 minutes ago, Redleg said:

We actually have to find a way to win. Our record against them at ES is abysmal. Our record at ES against other teams is terrible as well. 

Saints smashed Blues by 92 points compared to our 54 point win. They are travelling well at the moment.  

They are the favourite against us in round 1. 

Except that we are now pretty clear favourites, after starting evens pre-JLT.

The Blues rested most of their senior players and played 9 who had never played at AFL level before. It was a far weaker side than the one that played us. I'd be nervous as a saints supporter if they didn't win by 15 goals.

• Like 2

The winner of this one is going to start the hype machine about playing finals. Both sides are on the cusp of pushing into the 8. I hope it's us that wins it! 

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

We actually have to find a way to win. Our record against them at ES is abysmal. Our record at ES against other teams is terrible as well. 

Saints smashed Blues by 92 points compared to our 54 point win. They are travelling well at the moment.  

Carlton were even crappier against Aints than us. Put cue away and selected a rubbish team

Never pays to say we won this much they won so much.

We'll have our day Leg ... Pessimist lol

1 hour ago, brendan said:

I think this week will see where we are at 

dees v eagles 

saints v swans 

you would assume saints and swans will be full strength also 

I reckon we won't see where either team is at until Round 1. :P

10 hours ago, Redleg said:

Hence why I'd be surprised. 

With regards to the Saints beating Carlton by more...

Carlton were more competitive against the Saints than the Dees in the first quarter.  Scores were level with about 2 minutes to play before 2 late goals gave the Saints an early lead.  Then the floodgates opened. 

Against us Carlton fielded Gibbs, Murphy, Kreuzer, Simpson, Docherty, Casboult.  None of these players lined up against St Kilda, although Cripps had his first hitout.

In other words, the margins vs the Blues are meaningless.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Carlton were more competitive against the Saints than the Dees in the first quarter.  Scores were level with about 2 minutes to play before 2 late goals gave the Saints an early lead.  Then the floodgates opened. 

Against us Carlton fielded Gibbs, Murphy, Kreuzer, Simpson, Docherty, Casboult.  None of these players lined up against St Kilda, although Cripps had his first hitout.

And we played at Casey, where, as you've said, great footy isn't the norm.

2 hours ago, ProDee said:

I'm not sure about meaningless, but yeh, the scoreline gives the Saints an enormous pump-up.

Still reckon we won't be able to control their talls.

It's already scripted in my mind. We'll concede far too many easy from a lack of quality talls in our defence and our mids will struggle with efficiency entering our forward-line. This is providing our mids break even with theirs.

Everything will have to go right for us to win.

Can't see it happening.

I think Tom and Oscar will prove to be our weakest link this year. I still believe Oscar should be playing VFL and at another club with better depth, he would be.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

2 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

I'm not sure about meaningless, but yeh, the scoreline gives the Saints an enormous pump-up.

Still reckon we won't be able to control their talls.

It's already scripted in my mind. We'll concede far too many easy from a lack of quality talls in our defence and our mids will struggle with efficiency entering our forward-line. This is providing our mids break even with theirs.

Everything will have to go right for us to win.

Can't see it happening.

I think Tom and Oscar will prove to be our weakest link this year. I still believe Oscar should be playing VFL and at another club with better depth, he would be.

Steven is the player who concerns me most.   I think our midfield is better and I like our contested brand where we outnumber the opposition at the stoppages. 

But if we can't control Steven I think we'll lose.  If we can nullify him I reckon we'll win. 

By meaningless I was referring to their win by 92 compared to our win by 54.  Nothing should be read into the margins, because the personnel was vastly different. 

2 hours ago, ProDee said:

Steven is the player who concerns me most.   I think our midfield is better and I like our contested brand where we outnumber the opposition at the stoppages. 

But if we can't control Steven I think we'll lose.  If we can nullify him I reckon we'll win. 

By meaningless I was referring to their win by 92 compared to our win by 54.  Nothing should be read into the margins, because the personnel was vastly different. 

Yeh he always tears us apart. Both him and Roo.

If anything, this game should give supporters an insight into Goodwin's tactical ability as a coach. Matchups and team/individual planning and execution will play a big part if we're to win.

We can't beat them at etihad if it's a shootout between teams. 

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Thrice said:

Except that we are now pretty clear favourites, after starting evens pre-JLT.

The Blues rested most of their senior players and played 9 who had never played at AFL level before. It was a far weaker side than the one that played us. I'd be nervous as a saints supporter if they didn't win by 15 goals.

How can you be pretty clear favourites, against a side that has beaten you 14 times in a row, at the ground we are playing on, when we also play that ground terribly anyway. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Redleg said:

How can you be pretty clear favourites, against a side that has beaten you 14 times in a row, at the ground we are playing on, when we also play that ground terribly anyway. 

An extremely good question Mr. leg.

Edited by old dee

3 hours ago, ProDee said:

I don't expect us to go man-on-man against anyone, including Steven or Riewoldt, I think we'll play our own "fearless" style and back that in to beat them.  Man-on-man is "fearful".  It's gonna be very interesting to see what happens.

1 minute ago, Fifty-5 said:

I don't expect us to go man-on-man against anyone, including Steven or Riewoldt, I think we'll play our own "fearless" style and back that in to beat them.  Man-on-man is "fearful".  It's gonna be very interesting to see what happens.

I agree. I hope Goodwin is more interested in the way we want to play, rather than negating The Aints. 

23 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

I agree.

But if Steven is allowed to run amok he'll cut us up.

Running one hard tag doesn't mean a man-on-man game-plan.

I'd tag him.

Efit: they may go head to head in the first instance, but if he gets off the chain ...

Edited by ProDee

21 hours ago, brendan said:

I think this week will see where we are at 

dees v eagles 

saints v swans 

you would assume saints and swans will be full strength also 

There is just no way to compare these preseason game results regardless of whom does what to whoever.

.......crack open a beer in celebration. Doesn't sound strange until you factor in it'll be 8am for me! :P

• Like 1