• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Demon Injuries 2017 season

dazzledavey36

Current list 25/4/17

Colin Garland* Knee Season
Max Gawn Hamstring 11 weeks
Pat McKenna Hamstring 5-7 weeks
Christian Petracca Knee Test
Joel Smith Shoulder 11 weeks
Tim Smith Rib/punctured lung TBC
Jake Spencer Shoulder 6-7 weeks
Aaron vandenBerg Heel 5-7 weeks
Josh Wagner Shoulder 11 weeks
Sam Weideman Corked leg Test    

Personally, I'd say 9 out of the 10 are either best 22 or floating 23-28.

We are doing remarkably well to be a) well and truly in games and b) 2/5 at this point in time considering our 'young' list. 

All though there is short term pain - I for one do not doubt Goodwin's philosophy and the development of our squad from a) a list management perspective and b) a training/education perspective

• Like 1

To say nothing of the various niggles some must be carrying.

13 hours ago, Danelska said:

Current list 25/4/17

Colin Garland* Knee Season
Max Gawn Hamstring 11 weeks
Pat McKenna Hamstring 5-7 weeks
Christian Petracca Knee Test
Joel Smith Shoulder 11 weeks
Tim Smith Rib/punctured lung TBC
Jake Spencer Shoulder 6-7 weeks
Aaron vandenBerg Heel 5-7 weeks
Josh Wagner Shoulder 11 weeks
Sam Weideman Corked leg Test    

Personally, I'd say 9 out of the 10 are either best 22 or floating 23-28.

We are doing remarkably well to be a) well and truly in games and b) 2/5 at this point in time considering our 'young' list. 

All though there is short term pain - I for one do not doubt Goodwin's philosophy and the development of our squad from a) a list management perspective and b) a training/education perspective

I don't know if I'd say 9 out of 10. Gawn and Petracca are definitely best 22 (obviously); AvB, Wagner, and Weids are regular "thereabouts" so they float between the seniors and Casey, while the others are either depth or too early to say if they're in the regular conversation for seniors. 

Gawn is the biggest hole (obviously) but I was fairly confident in Spencer being able to cover and I actually felt he was winning the ruck battle before he went down. To lose our first and second line in arguably one of the most important single spots on the ground hurts is the most and the others hurt our ability to cover niggles throughout the year. 

God I hope we can get through one week without getting another injury. 

• Like 1

Even if say Garland was fit, it would give us more flexibility with Frost and Tom to take the ruck. But with Garland and Smith injured, even our defensive stocks are looking very thin.

And again, none of these injuries would bother us, if our best and arguably most important player didn't go down. Max is irreplaceable, especially now. 

Crap luck!

• Like 1

Have i missed it, or has no one posted this report?

RUCKMAN Jake Spencer will miss the next six to seven weeks, after he suffered an AC joint injury during Monday night’s ANZAC Day Eve clash against Richmond at the MCG.

Spencer, who is set to see a surgeon on Wednesday, was one of three Melbourne players, including Tim Smith and Christian Petracca, to suffer injuries in its 13-point loss.

It has been revealed that Smith, who copped a knee to his chest during the first half against the Tigers, has a fractured rib and punctured lung. At this stage, it remains unclear how long Smith will be sidelined.

General manager of football operations Josh Mahoney said Spencer was set to have surgery, but Smith would be monitored before a timeframe was placed on his return.

“Jake received a knock to his AC joint early in the game last night and was ruled out prior to half-time. He had scans today (Tuesday), which showed damage to the AC joint. He will consult a surgeon tomorrow, with the most likely option being surgery later in the week,” he told melbournefc.com.au

Edited by xarronn
error

I thought Josh Wagner having recovered from his knee injury, fractured his thumb and would miss a further 4 weeks... now all of a sudden he's out for 11 weeks with a shoulder problem???

On 25/04/2017 at 10:56 AM, Lucifer's Hero said:

...and we lost Spencer.  Yet Richmond came out of it unscathed!  Odd.

Are we playing too many players with 'niggles' or is it our frantic, somewhat kamikaze style of play that is putting our players at risk.  I suspect out 'stacks on the mill' approach doesn't help.  Something esle?

Whatever it is the our injury toll from games is higher than the opposition most weeks.  Hope we sort it out fast.

The kamikaze style theory causing too many injuries and fatigue might have some merit. I cannot see the style we play lasting even half a season. Reminds me of the Bombers when they were juiced up and ended up an empty shell half way through the season. The game plan is not measured enough to conserve energy to last the game with injuries making the situation worse. 

The defence is always under severe pressure and cracks too easily. To make the defences job sustainable we we need relentless forward pressure to keep the ball locked in. A reason why Kent struggles to get a game though he has the weapons to be a damaging forward. We don't have the forwards to do that all game and we fall victim to the classic rope a dope tactic.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, hardtack said:

I thought Josh Wagner having recovered from his knee injury, fractured his thumb and would miss a further 4 weeks... now all of a sudden he's out for 11 weeks with a shoulder problem???

yeah I saw that too. He was becoming important. We've really been smashed havent we. 

2 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

yeah I saw that too. He was becoming important. We've really been smashed havent we. 

I was thinking more along the lines of the injury list being incorrect... Wagner may not really be 11 weeks away as they have somehow managed to attach Spencer's info to Wagner's name in the list.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Meanwhile Essendons injury list is virtually empty.

That disgusting drug cheat club gets all the luck while we get smashed with injuries...   typical.

Hear hear!

I was thinking that myself. I was also thinking how disgusting it was that they got the No 1 draft pick for the year their lying druggies were suspended.  It goes against the very idea of the draft - getting that pick when they had their best players due to come back.

• Like 1

from our best 22 it really is just Gawn and probably AVB. no-one else from the list would play this week would they?

Spencer obviously doubles the pain of the Gawn injury.

Aside from ruck, we have no excuses. we should be winning games and not using injuries as an excuse.  our depth is affected sure, but not really the 22 aside from ruck

• Like 1

On 25/04/2017 at 11:34 AM, titan_uranus said:

I get you're responding to someone making a joke about the Carlton doctor but in all honesty do you truly believe the three losses are as simple as no Lewis and no Hogan?

I am certain that we would have been at least a little bit better in each game with them both in the team: v Freo it was just a little bit that was needed, and the experience at winning of Lewis may well have held the line.  

With the loss of Gawn v Cats the forward line,  disappeared with Watts having to ruck, may well have done the deed especially were Jesse there to lessen the loss of Watts as a forward.

Lewis may well also have provided that missing stability in the critical moments v Tigers, and we all now know what terrible distractions Jesse must have had that night.

So, in summary, without the Carlton doctors either maliciously, or incompetently, overplaying those injuries, we could well be 5-0.

Sounds like Gawn is progressing nicely, only 8-10 away & Misson says he will run this weekend

Melbourne injury list: round six

Angus Brayshaw (concussion) – 1 week

Colin Garland (knee) – season

Max Gawn (hamstring) – 8-10 weeks

Pat McKenna (hamstring) – 6 weeks

Christian Petracca (knee) – available

Joel Smith (shoulder) – 8-10 weeks

Tim Smith (lung) – TBC

Jake Spencer (shoulder) – 6-7 weeks

Aaron vandenBerg (heel) – 8 weeks