JLT Community Series - The Missing

Hulett Packard III

We watched the game yesterday and saw 26 of our listed players but what about the rest?

PRIMARY LIST:

Sam Frost 
Colin Garland (cut from original squad)
Mitch Hannan 
Michael Hibberd 
Liam Hulett 
Neville Jetta 
Dion Johnstone  (cut from original squad)
Ben Kennedy 
Dean Kent 
Mitch King 
Heritier Lumumba (retired)
Pat McKenna 
Cameron Pedersen 
Jack Trengove  (cut from original squad)
Dom Tyson 
Jack Watts 

ROOKIE LIST: CATEGORY A

Lachlan Filipovic 
Declan Keilty 
Tim Smith 
Mitch White 

ROOKIE LIST: CATEGORY B

Corey Maynard 

2 hours ago, Mickey said:

Suprised Watts' omission hasn't be discussed at length. I know someone in the post match thread mentioned the coaches weren't happy with him

My guess is that nobody's talking about it because they suspect it's BS.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Mickey said:

Suprised Watts' omission hasn't be discussed at length. I know someone in the post match thread mentioned the coaches weren't happy with him

It was also mentioned that at the family day his thumb was in a brace. I'll believe that over a rumour. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 5

It would be the usual practice to spread the load over the first two weeks, then field a stronger team in week three.

It would be counter-productive to play the same players every week leading into a long season (in which we will be playing 4 weeks extra at the end). I would hope every fit player would be given a crack at it over the next month.

I think we'll have a better understanding of the coach's intentions after we [censored] West Coast.

(and if Watts has his finger in a brace it would be utter stupidity to risk him in week 1 of practice matches)

2 hours ago, Nasher said:

My guess is that nobody's talking about it because they suspect it's BS.

I hope it's BS.

Having been told at a similar time last year that Watts was flying because he had cut back his rather large social activities and then seen him go on to have the year he had on the back of that. I am concerned. For mine it is very plausible that he has reverted back to old habits.

PRIMARY LIST:

Sam Frost - ? available
Colin Garland (emerg) - available
Mitch Hannan  - rehab group
Michael Hibberd  - rehab group
Liam Hulett  - available
Neville Jetta - rehab group
Dion Johnstone (emerg)  - available
Ben Kennedy - rehab group
Dean Kent - rehab group
Mitch King - rehab/doesn't need to play
Pat McKenna - available
Cameron Pedersen - available
Jack Trengove (emerg) - available
Dom Tyson  - just back to full training
Jack Watts  - unknown

Judging from the preseason training the rest of the rookies aren't immediately pressing the best 22 right now so probably no urgent need to play them unless we have injuries and let's just forget about Lumumba.

Not sure about Frost and Watts, I guess that will be clarified soon.

I'd like to see Trengove, Johnstone, Garland, Hulett, McKenna and Pedersen all play in the 2nd game. Goodwin seems to favour playing the best team but I would've thought Gawn, Hogan, Jones, Viney, Lewis could be rested and a couple of others swapped out. Plus Tyson, Hibberd and Jetta if they are fully right to go. 

7 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

PRIMARY LIST:

Sam Frost - ? available
Colin Garland (emerg) - available
Mitch Hannan  - rehab group
Michael Hibberd  - rehab group
Liam Hulett  - available
Neville Jetta - rehab group
Dion Johnstone (emerg)  - available
Ben Kennedy - rehab group
Dean Kent - rehab group
Mitch King - rehab/doesn't need to play
Pat McKenna - available
Cameron Pedersen - available
Jack Trengove (emerg) - available
Dom Tyson  - just back to full training
Jack Watts  - unknown

Judging from the preseason training the rest of the rookies aren't immediately pressing the best 22 right now so probably no urgent need to play them unless we have injuries and let's just forget about Lumumba.

Not sure about Frost and Watts, I guess that will be clarified soon.

I'd like to see Trengove, Johnstone, Garland, Hulett, McKenna and Pedersen all play in the 2nd game. Goodwin seems to favour playing the best team but I would've thought Gawn, Hogan, Jones, Viney, Lewis could be rested and a couple of others swapped out. Plus Tyson, Hibberd and Jetta if they are fully right to go. 

Yes, I would agree with most of that although of the rookies, I would like to see how Tim Smith goes at the higher level. He's mature age at 26 and won't have as many opportunities as the others. With Hogan having that glitch with his knee in the last quarter, perhaps it might pay to rest him up for a week or two to see how we go with Weids and T Smith as our main tall forwards.

I've done an update on the missing list. Can't find any reason for Sam Frost's non-selection other than a report from a training thread suggesting he was on the sidelines with a niggle so that will have to do.

PRIMARY LIST:

Sam Frost (niggle?)
Colin Garland (omitted from final squad)
Jeff Garlett (hamstring)
Mitch Hannan (shoulder)
Liam Hulett (available)
Neville Jetta (hand?)
Ben Kennedy (foot)
Dean Kent (back)
Mitch King (long term injury)
Pat McKenna (available)
Cameron Pedersen (shoulder)
Jack Trengove (omitted from final squad)
Dom Tyson (knee)
Josh Wagner (dislocated fibula)
Jack Watts (available)

Lachlan Filipovic (shoulder?)
Declan Keilty (available)
Tim Smith (available)
Mitch White (niggle?)

Corey Maynard (available)

Edited by Hulett Packard III

So our injury list is not as short as many would think. I suppose at this stage the club is right being conservative about injuries and the slightest niggle means you're going to be rested but there are a lot of players not getting a run in this pre season.

36 minutes ago, Chelly said:

So our injury list is not as short as many would think. I suppose at this stage the club is right being conservative about injuries and the slightest niggle means you're going to be rested but there are a lot of players not getting a run in this pre season.

Whilst it's not ideal for players to be missing during the preseason, there will still be plenty of opportunities to ease them back in. The Casey Demons have a long list of practice matches that should give players who haven't been used in the JLT Community Series some game time over the coming few weeks.

6 hours ago, Hulett Packard III said:

I've done an update on the missing list. Can't find any reason for Sam Frost's non-selection other than a report from a training thread suggesting he was on the sidelines with a niggle so that will have to do.

PRIMARY LIST:

Sam Frost (niggle?)
Colin Garland (omitted from final squad)
Jeff Garlett (hamstring)
Mitch Hannan (shoulder)
Liam Hulett (available)
Neville Jetta (hand?)
Ben Kennedy (foot)
Dean Kent (back)
Mitch King (long term injury)
Pat McKenna (available)
Cameron Pedersen (shoulder)
Jack Trengove (omitted from final squad)
Dom Tyson (knee)
Josh Wagner (dislocated fibula)
Jack Watts (available)

Lachlan Filipovic (shoulder?)
Declan Keilty (available)
Tim Smith (available)
Mitch White (niggle?)

Corey Maynard (available)

It's definitely not Nev's hand, don't normally believe what players tell me about injury, but this one I definitely know, he also trained strongly on Thursday alongside Hannan, Tyson, Kent, Pedersen and Filipovic

Only inuries/rehab King, Frost, Kennedy, White, Garlett and Wagner  so 39 trained

2 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

It's definitely not Nev's hand, don't normally believe what players tell me about injury, but this one I definitely know, he also trained strongly on Thursday alongside Hannan, Tyson, Kent, Pedersen and Filipovic

Only inuries/rehab King, Frost, Kennedy, White, Garlett and Wagner  so 39 trained

So what is your theory on his non-selection, Saty? Can't imagine he would be in the Watts category of 'not meeting preseason KPI's'

In the pre-season reviews Macca hinted Jetta had to work hard to maintain his spot in the team.  "He’s now part of a really competitive group of mid-sized defenders/wingers, so he’s up for the challenge of winning his spot and keeping his spot..."

Surely, Hibberd and Melksham haven't displaced him as 'first 22', already - without playing a game? 

Will be disappointed if Jetta doesn't get a chance to show his stuff in a JLT game so that he he will be well placed to 'win and keep his spot.'

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

So what is your theory on his non-selection, Saty? Can't imagine he would be in the Watts category of 'not meeting preseason KPI's'

In the pre-season reviews Macca hinted Jetta had to work hard to maintain his spot in the team.  "He’s now part of a really competitive group of mid-sized defenders/wingers, so he’s up for the challenge of winning his spot and keeping his spot..."

Surely, Hibberd and Melksham haven't displaced him as 'first 22', already - without playing a game? 

Will be disappointed if Jetta doesn't get a chance to show his stuff in a JLT game so that he he will be well placed to 'win and keep his spot.'

Not sure why he isn't getting picked, it's wait and see, said he was ready to go when he spoke to me on Thursday but so are Trengove and Garland

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Thanks Saty.

So based on that you would expect that assuming no changes to the injury list, the following players should be able to suit up for the Casey Demons in their first practice match next Saturday:-

PRIMARY LIST:

Sam Frost
Colin Garland 
Jeff Garlett
Mitch Hannan 
Liam Hulett 
Neville Jetta 
Ben Kennedy
Dean Kent 
Mitch King
Heritier Lumumba
Pat McKenna
Cameron Pedersen 
Jack Trengove 
Dom Tyson 
Josh Wagner
Jack Watts 

Lachlan Filipovic 
Declan Keilty
Tim Smith 
Mitch White

Corey Maynard 

20 minutes ago, Hulett Packard III said:

Thanks Saty.

So based on that you would expect that assuming no changes to the injury list, the following players should be able to suit up for the Casey Demons in their first practice match next Saturday:-

PRIMARY LIST:

Sam Frost
Colin Garland 
Jeff Garlett
Mitch Hannan 
Liam Hulett 
Neville Jetta 
Ben Kennedy
Dean Kent 
Mitch King
Heritier Lumumba
Pat McKenna
Cameron Pedersen 
Jack Trengove 
Dom Tyson 
Josh Wagner
Jack Watts 

Lachlan Filipovic 
Declan Keilty
Tim Smith 
Mitch White

Corey Maynard 

I can see some of the more senior players rested again or possibly eased in with a quarter or so while some who played yesterday like Dion Johnstone would also most likely get a run.

On 26/02/2017 at 6:03 PM, Whispering_Jack said:

One player who won't be at Casey next Saturday according to this article is Jack Watts.

Jack Watts might need to wait until March 19 to play a VFL practice game

Getting beyond a joke

Irrespective of form the pressure that this badly handled media fiasco will put on the man is unacceptable.