Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JORDAN LEWIS

14 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

3 years is a long time to give someone who has already won 4 flags in a different jumper.

I am just hoping he still has fire in the belly.

Sorry for not doing cartwheels down Nepean Hwy like some on here..

Whorethorn had 11 consecutive goals kicked against it by the Dogs so i consider it more than just "one game"

I really get the feeling that even winning a flag could make you smile. Maybe two in a row would.

1 minute ago, Chris said:

I really get the feeling that even winning a flag could make you smile. Maybe two in a row would.

He isn't that miserable in person.

Actually thinking about it, I was quite pickled at the time......Fairly sure I saw him smile briefly though.

• Like 2

Just now, Chris said:

Oh no...when we win the flag i have already told the Boss i will be unavailable for 3 weeks

I am just a little sceptical that Lewis is going to be able to play for 3 years at the level we need him. Whorethorn gave him and Mitchell away,

But i do not doubt his experience will be invaluable..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Oh no...when we win the flag i have already told the Boss i will be unavailable for 3 weeks

I am just a little sceptical that Lewis is going to be able to play for 3 years at the level we need him. Whorethorn gave him and Mitchell away,

I have an old labrador (10yrs old +) who was starting to slow down, when we had to mind a young whippet for a year. Initially we were worried she be worn out by the whippet, but she actually sparked up, asserted her dominance and had a second lease of life...

Lewis is a proud, professional athlete who's scaled most of the peaks available in the AFL, he'll earn his coin, and some.

Be happy, he's gonna give us some sweet glorious moments in the next couple of seasons... :)

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, P-man said:

Lewis on Trade Radio said the next two candidates for the captaincy after Hodge are now Isaac Smirh and Liam Shiels (Roughead to focus on his health).

The fact they are now the next best candidates says a lot about the significance of Mitchell and Lewis leaving.

I've said this before but it feels good to write, it wouldn't take a lot to go wrong for Hawthorn next year to fall off a Freo sized cliff. They were 18th in the league this year for contested possessions and have lost their two best contested ball winners. Sure they don't play the contested game like we do or the Dogs but you have to get the ball at some time. 

O'Meara could be a key for them. If he fulfills his potential he could be one of the top 5 players in the league but personally I think it more likely for him to have ongoing injury issues. 

And then next year they will go to the draft having already given away their first pick to the Saints. 

Time to vacate the 'family' bandwagon I think

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, faultydet said:

He isn't that miserable in person.

Actually thinking about it, I was quite pickled at the time......Fairly sure I saw him smile briefly though.

You wanted to smash the Monitor Faulty!!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I have doubts he will last 3 years at the top as well but I my happiness at him coming isn't really based on his playing ability. His true value to me comes from his leadership and if hits it off with Chunk and the two of them gain a close bond so he can quietly offer advice and help where needed then he will be truly invaluable. 

I think Lewis will have a good year, and average year, and a not so good year with us playing wise. That is fine though as by his third year we will have the young brigade further developed and taking his mantle anyway, even if he was still at his best. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Chris said:

I have doubts he will last 3 years at the top as well but I my happiness at him coming isn't really based on his playing ability. His true value to me comes from his leadership and if hits it off with Chunk and the two of them gain a close bond so he can quietly offer advice and help where needed then he will be truly invaluable. 

I think Lewis will have a good year, and average year, and a not so good year with us playing wise. That is fine though as by his third year we will have the young brigade further developed and taking his mantle anyway, even if he was still at his best. 

Agreed...2017 will be the most valuable...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fndee said:

They were 18th in the league this year for contested possessions and have lost their two best contested ball winners. Sure they don't play the contested game like we do or the Dogs but you have to get the ball at some time. 

This is true but their game plan is based on pressuring the opposition to turn the ball over and they are devastating by foot. You are irght though, they have to find someone to ge the ball for them and Mitchell might but O'Meara is a huge risk for them.

6 hours ago, TGR said:

Get over it FCS.

If it was your son, or mine, he would do exactly the same thing as Scully.

Remember our culture back then?  Scully is getting injured because he is training too hard!!!!!!  HAHAHAHAHA.  No wonder we weren't anywhere near league standard when an 18/19 year old was showing everyone up on the track.  Instead of the lazy older players lifting to his standard, we had the old-boys pointing at him saying "serves you right"

Let's see.  Stay here under Neeldy at 3-400k for 3 putrid seasons; or go to GWS on $2 mil for your first year?

Lying to Stynes' face?  Pfft.  I'm sure Garry has done a lot of lyon lately, and he was older, wiser, and more respected than a young boy.

The Scully bashers here are absolute nuts.  Cookoo squared.  He made the only choice, albeit the right one.

Get over your self flea bag.

Gary's private business is his own and unless you are Billy Brownless, dragging his name and reputation through the mud in this forum in the context of the issue raised is a low call.  In football terms, Garry Lyon is the polar opposite of $culley.  Gary was a loyal servant of the MFC who would have had ample opportunity to chase bigger money and I'm sure he would have rode out several crisis of club culture and adversity within his time.

I'm perfectly capable of understanding the logical decision making behind $culley's decision.  I won't pretend to have the great insider info and insight that you obviously do, but I doubt it was anything like the situation you outline above in so far as I doubt the gap in pay was as much as what you are suggesting; i.e. $culley would still have been on sensational money at the MFC, particularly for the realitively unproven player he was at the time, which together with his blatant dishonesty to the club just made him a money hungry, greedy mercenary.  I am more than capable of reconciling players switching clubs for reasons of their own choosing, particularly players that loyally served the club over a number of sucsess starved years like Chip Frawely and Col Silvia.  I can even be happy for some of our ex frindge players doing well like Pedard, Martin and Fitzpatric and others, but they switch teams purely for exuberant financial gain, a la $culley, then they don't get afforded that same respect in my book.

Not sure why all these spaces are need above, other than as some kind of moronic sign of self important attention seeking.

I do wonder if you base your club loyalties on your same logical approach to player movements?  On that basis, I recon you would be a band wagon jumping ex Hawthorn supporter. 

I'll base my own decision making on respecting or holding grudges to ex players based their actions coupled with my passion and loyalty to the Melbourne Demons footy club thanks very much you tool.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Onto important matters - I liked the part in his press conference where Lewis was asked if he would be ringing up Christian Salem to ask him if he would be give him the number 3.  

Lewis politely declined and I do like his humbleness and humility, but it does beg the question of what jumper number should he get?

My first thought, with it looking likely Dunn to Collingwood was he would be a great candidate for 14, but thinking that through, 14 is probably a more natural fit with Hibbard as a backman.

So moving on I'm now thinking probably No.6 (assuming Dawes is gone) or otherwise 45 has been a good number for some good MFC players.

Not an important question.

14 is a number. It doesn't have to go to Hibberd because Dunn wears/wore it as a backman.

Lewis can have whatever number is free. They're just numbers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jnrmac said:

This is true but their game plan is based on pressuring the opposition to turn the ball over and they are devastating by foot. 

Yes. But it is a game pkan that didnt stand up when it counted. And besides lewis and mitchell were not only their best contested ball winners, both were in their best handfull of kicks

lol @ the Lewis haters.

I said when Bernie was brought to the club that as much as I thought he was a star, he won't be there when we're winning flags. How wrong I was about his worth. You don't necessarily bring guys in just to be the cream that wins you the flag after getting close the year before. Bernie has been massive for the development of our kids. The best of them are just through their second season.

What applies to Bernie applies to Lewis too. Only Lewis is better. More successful. Higher credentialed and more decorated. Personally, I think the way footy is going he'll easily play well into his 3rd year. And his first two we will see such a lift in output skill wise people won't even recognize the team, and a lot of that will be due to the 20 kicks a game Viney, Tyson, Jones, Olly and Vince feed out to him. Our biggest weaknesses right now are skill and pace, and Lewis is one of the best kicks going around.

You really can count on demonland oldies to get woe is me about something with literally no downside. Or is it 'ology oldies?

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

lol @ the Lewis haters.

I said when Bernie was brought to the club that as much as I thought he was a star, he won't be there when we're winning flags. How wrong I was about his worth. You don't necessarily bring guys in just to be the cream that wins you the flag after getting close the year before. Bernie has been massive for the development of our kids. The best of them are just through their second season.

What applies to Bernie applies to Lewis too. Only Lewis is better. More successful. Higher credentialed and more decorated. Personally, I think the way footy is going he'll easily play well into his 3rd year. And his first two we will see such a lift in output skill wise people won't even recognize the team, and a lot of that will be due to the 20 kicks a game Viney, Tyson, Jones, Olly and Vince feed out to him. Our biggest weaknesses right now are skill and pace, and Lewis is one of the best kicks going around.

You really can count on demonland oldies to get woe is me about something with literally no downside. Or is it 'ology oldies?

Esp. If he plays angry. The quote about him not going back to collect his possessions was truly bizarre.

Edited by bush demon
Fix typo

8 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

14 is a number. It doesn't have to go to Hibberd because Dunn wears/wore it as a backman.

In case you didn't pick it up, I wasn't being totally serious when I stated it was important.  Nor was it Lyndon in particular that I was thinking of Re 14.

It was probably a slightly premature question, given we are yet to know which will be free.  19 could be another candidate maybe?  I'm still a fan of him getting 45, but in the end I'm assuming a player of his statue will be given the choice. 

Anyway, I thought it was a humorous and insightful moment to Lewis's press conference Re Salem - if you haven't seen it you should take a look/listen.

http://m.melbournefc.com.au/video/2016-10-18/media-conference-jordan-lewis

18 hours ago, TGR said:

The Scully bashers here are absolute nuts.  Cookoo squared.  He made the only choice, albeit the right one.

You won't have too many arguments from most supporters that his decision to take the money and run was not the right thing to do from his perspective. It was in his interests to do so and nobody in their right mind would have suggested otherwise to him.

Rather, it was the way the entire thing was handled by the Scully camp and the GWS (read the AFL at the time). Melbourne had no chance of matching the offer made even if that could be done and the AFL blocked off all avenues available (such as a Judd type deal).

There is evidence that the lure had gone out to Scully very early in the piece and it was the lies and deception around the situation that made many of us Scully bashers. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

lol @ the Lewis haters.

Don't count me as one of the Lewis haters by any means, I'm just as rapped that we were able to recruit him as I was when we picked up Bernie.  However, I do harbour some fears/concerns regarding how well his body and form will hold up, particularly for the full three years.  Bernie was a good number of years younger when he arrived at the MFC and I'm not sure that I'd agree that Bernie is inferior to Lewis as a player.  He faded towards the end of this year, but Bernie certainly played some dominating, influential games this season and more so over the two years prior, be it in a weaker team, which I take as adding to the value of his performances.

Yes the leadership that Lewis brings to the club is very important, but it's almost starting to become a bit over stated within this forum.  I'm certainly hoping his on feild form holds out at an acceptable level, for the remainder of his contract, which is certainly possible, but not a given at his age.

Similarly, Bernie is a player who may be having conflicting feelings about Lewis's arrival.  On the one hand, hopefully Lewis should share some of the heavy lifting and may assist in prolonging Bernie's career in that way. I understand why Lewis was given the three years and I'm sure Bernie does too, but on the other hand I can't help but feel Bernie may be a little envious of the three years that Lewis is contracted when he was only given a one year extension - which could also impact negatively on the longevity of Bernie's career.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out ...hopefully more wins and to the overall advancement of the team.

• Like 2

lewis has played less than 20 games in two seasons of his entire career. he's been incredibly durable and consistent.

i'll be surprised if he has a season in the next three where he has less than 10 games in the red and blue.

three years is nothing for a modern footballer at the age of 30, and with our plethora of inside mids he's going to get a lot more rotations in / out than he has got at the hawks where he's been the main starting mid alongside mitchell for the last decade.

getting lewis and hibberd for effectively a second round pick is one of the best bargains we've ever had.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

The number I'm interested in next year is the amount of wins. Happy with 14+

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Don't count me as one of the Lewis haters by any means, I'm just as rapped that we were able to recruit him as I was when we picked up Bernie.  However, I do harbour some fears/concerns regarding how well his body and form will hold up, particularly for the full three years.  Bernie was a good number of years younger when he arrived at the MFC and I'm not sure that I'd agree that Bernie is inferior to Lewis as a player.  He faded towards the end of this year, but Bernie certainly played some dominating, influential games this season and more so over the two years prior, be it in a weaker team, which I take as adding to the value of his performances.

Yes the leadership that Lewis brings to the club is very important, but it's almost starting to become a bit over stated within this forum.  I'm certainly hoping his on feild form holds out at an acceptable level, for the remainder of his contract, which is certainly possible, but not a given at his age.

Similarly, Bernie is a player who may be having conflicting feelings about Lewis's arrival.  On the one hand, hopefully Lewis should share some of the heavy lifting and may assist in prolonging Bernie's career in that way. I understand why Lewis was given the three years and I'm sure Bernie does too, but on the other hand I can't help but feel Bernie may be a little envious of the three years that Lewis is contracted when he was only given a one year extension - which could also impact negatively on the longevity of Bernie's career.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out ...hopefully more wins and to the overall advancement of the team.

Demonland generally doesn't deal with grey so well. It's either black or white. If you're not absolutely gun ho on a club decision, you're often labelled a fool or a "hater". If you post something that is beside yourself with joy at a decision the club has made and calling out anyone who thinks otherwise as a fool, you best bring your raincoat, because you will get showered in likes. 

I get why it is that way. It's optimism or bust at this point, and for the large part the optimism is well justified. It does however appear to be trending towards any doubts expressed being ridiculed. Which is not a good trend, in my opinion.

I don't care for TGR's approach, but I like the fact he has stuck to his guns and opened himself up to attack in the name of a discussion on Lewis that isn't all about how unbelievably amazing he will be.

• Like 3

Lewis is a leader. He accumulates. He does the 1%s. He gets to the contest. He kicks goals. He is smart. He has the skills. His not fast but gets it to the runners when needed.

His next 3 years will be as important as any, and don't discount his influence on developing our young mids Viney, Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw and Salem.

• Like 4