Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

FA & Trade Whispers

Dee-licious

47 minutes ago, TheoX said:

Of course they're totally different, I would rather Steele regardless, mainly because he has more than a couple of years left..

Hibberd is 26, hardly a Grandpa. I'd expect him to play for 4-5 years. Unless you think a late starter with no injury history is going to hang up the boots at 28? Maybe him and Hogan could do the Contiki together in 2018.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CBDees said:

Not really. I understand that they are still officially on our list until 31 October (which is after the Trade Period).

I'm guessing he's been paid out as the club has delisted him. He is now a DFA and can go anywhere of his choice that will take him. I don't think he can be part of a trade anymore.

1 hour ago, stevethemanjordan said:

A good thing the footy club don't agree with you then.

Simply, we don't need a player like Steele and we need a player like Hibberd.

We really don't need more HBFers imo, especially with Milkshake already to come in and Labumhead returning, those in charge haven;t made many mistakes though, hope it's not a Kennedy situation, the guy was a dud trade.

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

Tyson and Hibberd are more than decent and they nominated us. All of our gun, younger players have re-signed and showed tremendous faith in the direction the club is headed in as well. 

Some supporters are never happy and have short memories to boot. 

Well of course I was referring to this year, what with the lack of any players apart from Hibberd being linked to us. 

50 minutes ago, A F said:

And I think people are underrating Hibberd's impact next year. He might start a little slowly being out of the game for a year, but his kicking will be vital for our half back sling shot.

If anything they're overrating it, he was very ordinary in his last year with Essendrug and hasn't played in over 12 months.

48 minutes ago, Sylvia Saint said:

Hibberd is 26, hardly a Grandpa. I'd expect him to play for 4-5 years. Unless you think a late starter with no injury history is going to hang up the boots at 28? Maybe him and Hogan could do the Contiki together in 2018.

27 before he plays another game, most players drop away very sharply once they hit 29/30, only the very best will be still playing at that age, Hibberd is not that imo. He may play into his 30's but he will well and truly be fringe/VFL by then.

Edited by TheoX

56 minutes ago, A F said:

And I think people are underrating Hibberd's impact next year. 

You got that right.  He immediately becomes our best half back and is a great compliment to Jayden Hunt.

3 minutes ago, TheoX said:

We really don't need more HBFers imo, especially with Milkshake already to come in, those in charge haven;t made many mistakes though, hope it's not a Kennedy situation, the guy was a dud trade.

The argument is not about 'position' though. 

Hibberd and Hunt are vastly different players and offer attribute diversity to our back six, regardless of their positional title.

Hibberd's strengths are his penetrating and accurate left leg, his play reading ability and ability to intercept mark and play tall similar to what Gibson does at Hawthorn.

Hibberd offers us what we don't have. 

Steele would offer us nothing that we don't already have.

53 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Granted, I haven't seen a lot of Steele, but every time I have he's been ordinary and I've wondered why there was such fanfare. 

The fanfare is because he is from GWS and has been 'ripping it up' in the NEAFL.  Apparently every GWS cast off is a gun in the making and hasn't been getting a run due to all the players they already have.  It's simply not true, but people get sucked in to thinking it is.  Just ask Steve Silvagni - he is making every attempt to create the Carlton Giants with their cast offs.

1 hour ago, stevethemanjordan said:

The argument is not about 'position' though. 

Hibberd and Hunt are vastly different players and offer attribute diversity to our back six, regardless of their positional title.

Hibberd's strengths are his penetrating and accurate left leg, his play reading ability and ability to intercept mark and play tall similar to what Gibson does at Hawthorn.

Hibberd offers us what we don't have. 

Steele would offer us nothing that we don't already have.

This is spot on, Steve.  Much of why I like the recruitment of Hibberd is that it gives us further flexibility, and I'm surprised others can't see it.  Having him on a HBF releases guys like Salem and Hunt to be more damaging further up the field.  

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Much of why I like the recruitment of Hibberd is that it gives us further flexibility, and I'm surprised others can't see it.  Having him on a HBF releases guys like Salem and Hunt to be more damaging further up the field.  

Not all others can't see it Wise, see post 1351.

• Like 1

I personnally are keen to see hibberd and Melksham playing off the half back, I still remember the days when Hass and others provided us with an attacking half back line, what he have at the moment is a defensive half backline. We struggle to get the ball out of defense and our attacks often result in turnover.  We need quality delivery out of the half back line, I

51 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I thought Shaun Edwards was unlucky to be delisted by the Bombers.  He has twice starred against the Dees... once for GWS and once for Essendrug Fc. 

He has pace. Aggression. Goalkicking smarts. Handy wing half fwd type

And attitude

55 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I thought Shaun Edwards was unlucky to be delisted by the Bombers.  He has twice starred against the Dees... once for GWS and once for Essendrug Fc. 

He has pace. Aggression. Goalkicking smarts. Handy wing half fwd type

He couldn't get a regular game at a club that had half of their best 22 suspended for a year.

No thanks.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TheoX said:

We really don't need more HBFers imo, especially with Milkshake already to come in and Labumhead returning, those in charge haven;t made many mistakes though, hope it's not a Kennedy situation, the guy was a dud trade.

Well of course I was referring to this year, what with the lack of any players apart from Hibberd being linked to us. 

If anything they're overrating it, he was very ordinary in his last year with Essendrug and hasn't played in over 12 months.

27 before he plays another game, most players drop away very sharply once they hit 29/30, only the very best will be still playing at that age, Hibberd is not that imo. He may play into his 30's but he will well and truly be fringe/VFL by then.

Is 29/30 as old in footballing terms as it was 10 or 20 years ago?

Advances in conditioning, recovery and medicine mean players can now play at or close to their peak for longer. If Hibberd does not lose his speed then I see no reason why he won't be able to maintain his form till his 31 yo (2021) or 32yo (2022) year old season. Thats a long time in footy.

Hibberd provides speed, overlap run, intercept marking, defensive spoiling, long kicking and hardness. I'd love to see him off half back combining with Hunt and Melksham to give us more than 1 speedy rebound option off half back. 

Hard to judge Essendon players on their performances in 2015 given the pressures they were under on and off field. Still Hibberd finished 8th in their B&F. Melksham finished 9th. In 2014 Hibberd finished 4th. Hibberd also finished 4th in 2013 b&f with Melksham 5th.

Edited by demoniac
  • Like 2

With over 12 mths off without an AFL game, it's somewhat speculative as to how Milkshake and Hibberd (and the other banned players, for that matter) will pull up next year. I think with each of the EFC banned players it will be a case of wait and see. They've been through the ringer and are forever labelled drug cheats. Watching the interview with Hurley made me consider the toll this has taken on the players. I'm not sympathising with what they have done - they are drug cheats -moreso lowering my expectation of what they might become. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Demons2riseagain said:

Lol. Never a truer word spoken wise.

hello demand land, I've been meaning to sign in and register for a while. Love reading all these posts...

go dees

lol

This guy.

• Like 4

On 10/7/2016 at 5:48 PM, DemonWA said:

The Hibberd trade is definitely something that I'm keen to watch unfold. A mid 20's pick seems almost like it's a given, but I wouldn't be surprised if we play a little bit of hard ball. Surely Essendon would feel some responsibility to do what their players ask of them,given the hell they've been through over the last couple of years

If last years transaction with Essendon is anything to go by then we won't be playing hardball. I'm just glad we don't have a first round pick to give them for Hibberd.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KingDingAling said:

If last years transaction with Essendon is anything to go by then we won't be playing hardball. I'm just glad we don't have a first round pick to give them for Hibberd.

Last year we had bigger fish to fry,  this year we don't...

7 hours ago, ProDee said:

Granted, I haven't seen a lot of Steele, but every time I have he's been ordinary and I've wondered why there was such fanfare. 

Maybe, on all the other occasions, he's been an absolute jet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

Is that why they left him to rot in the NEAFL for most of the year?

Must be an abundance of jets running around down there.

Clearly, you didn't understand my post.

9 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

Is that why they left him to rot in the NEAFL for most of the year?

Must be an abundance of jets running around down there.

How long did Sydney leave Mitchell in the NEAFL?

• Like 1