MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION - Round 20

Demonland

Just now, Wiseblood said:

Roos also mentioned that they are naming Hogan to play, but will see how he pulls up tomorrow.  If he is no good then he'll be a late change.

Because it's the done thing, not because it will happen. Can't play Saturday if you can't train Thursday. Not this late in the year anyway.

1 minute ago, Wiseblood said:

Roos also mentioned that they are naming Hogan to play, but will see how he pulls up tomorrow.  If he is no good then he'll be a late change.

If Hogan and Weid are both being named does that means at least to start Dawes will be listed as omited? 

Just now, DeeSpencer said:

Because it's the done thing, not because it will happen. Can't play Saturday if you can't train Thursday. Not this late in the year anyway.

I don't understand the first sentence in relation to my post, but Roos himself said in his presser that they won't leave a decision on him until Saturday morning - if he is still too sore tomorrow then he doesn't play, but they are naming him tonight in the hope that he comes up well tomorrow.

15 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I don't understand the first sentence in relation to my post, but Roos himself said in his presser that they won't leave a decision on him until Saturday morning - if he is still too sore tomorrow then he doesn't play, but they are naming him tonight in the hope that he comes up well tomorrow.

I'm saying it's [censored] that all teams do with their best players just in the hope that the other team then wastes the time preparing for them. I can't see Hogan playing. In fact I'd be annoyed if he did play. 

7 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I'm saying it's [censored] that all teams do with their best players just in the hope that the other team then wastes the time preparing for them. I can't see Hogan playing. In fact I'd be annoyed if he did play. 

You can play with bruising, another bump may cause some internal bleeding but that is not the end of the world. Come to think of it, I agree with you, rest him for a week. Show him we care. 

Edited by ManDee

Injured or not a rest would be good for Hogan.  His injury situation is marginal at this stage and his form has been somewhat dull lately in general. Plus It  is interesting to see how we perform against quality opposition without him. 

Edited by america de cali

The way to beat the Hawks is with high pressure football. Thy have a heavy reliance on kicking and the more pressure that the kicker gets the more chance of a turnover.

both the dogs and saints are very good in this area and have pushed the Hawks. 

Dees are capable of bringing this on Saturday but which Melbourne turns up will be the real question. 

• Like 6

Just now, P-man said:

I'm gonna lose it if Harmes is named again. Should be the first out.

Yeah because of all those other quick defenders we have to face the Hawthorn forward line? Or other defenders at all! 

Harmes can butcher the ball, but at least he's got the speed and no how to go get it. If we replaced him it would be with a player of similar skills without the speed or ball winning.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Yeah because of all those other quick defenders we have to face the Hawthorn forward line? Or other defenders at all! 

Harmes can butcher the ball, but at least he's got the speed and no how to go get it. If we replaced him it would be with a player of similar skills without the speed or ball winning.

lol..Harmes the irreplaceable.

He was the only player on the ground not to lay a single tackle last week. How ever will we find someone else to replicate that and keep Hawthorn's forwards to account?

He might be able to find it but he's a woeful kick and decisonmaker. It's the same passes to players at a standstill, over heads and to player's feet every week.

He has assets, speed and marking especially, but he should be playing at Casey.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bandicoot said:

The way to beat the Hawks is with high pressure football. Thy have a heavy reliance on kicking and the more pressure that the kicker gets the more chance of a turnover.

both the dogs and saints are very good in this area and have pushed the Hawks. 

Dees are capable of bringing this on Saturday but which Melbourne turns up will be the real question. 

Spot on Bandicoot. They are by far the best kicking side I have ever seen, and once they have it, it is very difficult to get it from them. That includes kicking under extreme pressure - when tackled, for example. Geelong have beaten them so many times in close games by using a soccer tactic. When one of their 5 or 6 best kicks ge th ball get ready to pressure them two-on-one. Don't  let their elite kicks (Birchall, Smith, Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell etc...) have any space, and make them handball as of they kick. 

Important for the Dees are Harmes, Dawes, Jetta, N Jones, Kent when he can be bothered, Viney, Kennedy, because they get quickly to the ball carrier and place pressure on. Tackling appears natural to them. Even though it is unlikely, Grimes and Trengove fit into this category well.

Our errors will win or lose us this game - you cannot give the ball back to the Hawks,  they will slaughter you on the rebound. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, P-man said:

He might be able to find it but he's a woeful kick and decisonmaker. It's the same passes to players at a standstill, over heads and to player's feet every week.

Roos doesn't drop players for poor ball use.  Full stop, capital letter.

1 minute ago, Nasher said:

Roos doesn't drop players for poor ball use.  Full stop, capital letter.

If we turn it over like we did against the Suns, Hawthorn will savage us. That's their game, essentially. Punishing mistakes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, P-man said:

lol..Harmes the irreplaceable.

He was the only player on the ground not to lay a single tackle last week. How ever will we find someone else to replicate that and keep Hawthorn's forwards to account?

Harmes is a willing tackler, if he's not laying a tackle either he might've missed one or two or he just wasn't in position to do it. 

Wagner is tiring, I think he'll be left out this week and rightfully so. Newton and Michie are the other options, both are slow and Viv is hardly perfect by foot. Neither is Bernie Vince when played back or Matt Jones on a wing. Bugg could be a chance, but the same issues of disposal and he probably doesn't break the lines from half back as well as Harmes. 

He's far from irreplaceable but I see him as the better choice.

• Like 2

Just now, P-man said:

If we turn it over like we did against the Suns, Hawthorn will savage us. That's their game, essentially. Punishing mistakes.

Nonetheless, Roos doesn't drop players for poor ball use. :)

Just saying, prepare to lose it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Swung by training for a little bit this morning. Fairly decent crowd of school kids in a couple of groups. Looked like an Indigenous school group who Nev and Jeff talked to after training and another group from which one kid slotted a goal and had a hug from a pumped up Wattsy.

No Hogan on track. No Spencer either I don't think. Mitch King and Lumumba the others missing. Everyone else including Max King was on deck.

Usual kind of drills divided in to different groups and focuses. Ball movement for the backs, slick hands for the mids, goal kicking for the forwards and mixed groups doing a range of things. 

A group designated for Casey did some extra ball movement drills at the end (presumably taking advantage of the longer break?) with a focus on spreading from a stoppage/contested area.

With the Casey group: Wagner, Matt Jones

With the senior group: Weideman, Oliver and I think Ben Newton.

So it wouldn't surprise me if it's: Weideman, Oliver, Newton in for Hogan, Matt Jones, Wagner

The School kids were from Clontar and are playing against Melbourne High in a memorial game called the Mutes Cup

The Mutes Cup is an event in honour of Daniel Eimutis, a respected Old Boy of Melbourne High School who tragically passed away at the age of 19 in 2012. It brings together MHS and Clontarf Foundation boys, using football as a way of forming relationships

Just now, DeeSpencer said:

Harmes is a willing tackler, if he's not laying a tackle either he might've missed one or two or he just wasn't in position to do it. 

Wagner is tiring, I think he'll be left out this week and rightfully so. Newton and Michie are the other options, both are slow and Viv is hardly perfect by foot. Neither is Bernie Vince when played back or Matt Jones on a wing. Bugg could be a chance, but the same issues of disposal and he probably doesn't break the lines from half back as well as Harmes. 

He's far from irreplaceable but I see him as the better choice.

I respect your views but disagree on this one. Harmes is a fairly recent addition to the backline. It can be reshuffled.

Newton can play all over the ground and is in good form. I'd see how he and/or Michie goes, albeit against a strong opponent so they'd likely go in and out.

I accept the coaches have their favourites so am expecting Harmes to be named.

If Hogans fit, Wagner out, Watts to back flank, Weed plays stay home forward VB played last week, allowing VB to play higher and get involved more... 

17 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

FFS Saty !!! It's his avatar - he can do what the [censored] he likes with it!!

It was a joke precious, you need to stop being the arbiter of what people can post, the poster doesn't seem to have an issue, so I respectfully request you pull your head in  and go back to topic 

Hopefully we have a red hot go Hawthorn are only another 22 blokes, with Trac Brayshaw and Oliver cracking in for the first time together should be fun to watch

• Like 1