Leadership 2017

picket fence

I think given where we are and our personel, I would like to see the following on field leadership structure in 2017

CAPT   NATHAN JONES

VC  JACK VINEY

DVC  JACK WATTS

DVC  MAX GAWN

DVC  BERNIE VINCE

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, picket fence said:

I think given where we are and our personel, I would like to see the following on field leadership structure in 2017

CAPT   NATHAN JONES

VC  JACK VINEY

DVC  JACK WATTS

DVC  MAX GAWN

DVC  BERNIE VINCE

What no Clarrie Chew Chewed !!!!!!!!

How very fickle of you picket !!!

Picket, is this a disguised way of starting a new thread to 'criticise' Tom Mc who is currently in our Leadership team - you have left him out!

If so it is very transparent!

We know where you stand with the Macs and it is getting boring!

• Like 5

I haven't seen the last two games yet....but is Bernie leadership material?  It sounds as if he has been pretty undisciplined recently, which is NOT what a young team needs from its leaders.

4 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Picket, is this a disguised way of starting a new thread to 'criticise' Tom Mc who is currently in our Leadership team - you have left him out!

If so it is very transparent!

We know where you stand with the Macs and it is getting boring!

T mac in the leadership team?? Well seriously, I wasn't aware! Apologies! 

Do you think he should be there??

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Tom Mac at just 100 games is leader of a backline consisting of Jetta (80 odd games) then space...   To Hunt, Wagner, OMac, Frost all of which are under 20 games. To fail to value TMacs leadership simply indicates you're blind to reality. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, picket fence said:

I do.  He reads the play well, sets good standards and is good at bringing the backlline together.  Having said that he is still wearing L-plates on the leadership side of things.  With practice, guidance and time he will grow into the role of 'General' of the backline...if he stays.

Btw, I think Jack is a good inclusion.  He reads the play so well and often we see him trying to get teammates into the right positions/structures.  Now that he has consistently played well and is standing up (as good leaders do) at critical times he is a good addition to the LG.

Just make Jack Watts Captain now. Just fucken do it already.

Shoulda been Skipper on the day we drafted him.

• Like 9

We're in a bit of a tricky position leadership wise. I'd argue a lack of leadership has cost us multiple games this year. If we're looking to shoot up the ladder next year, we really need to uncover some strong leadership. Does it come from some older guys turning a corner? Does it come by recruiting leaders? Or does it come from the younger generation?

As it stands, Jones is not a leader. He's been a hard trier in trying times. I love that he's stuck fat through all the rubbish and for that I'll always have a soft spot for him. However, his football is going backwards and even at the top of his game, he's never going to be a strong leader.

Paradoxically, I think he should remain captain for 2017-2018, simply due to continuity and not wanting to burden the younger leaders with the responsibility just yet.

Jack Viney, Max Gawn, Jack Watts and potentially even Tom McDonald should round out our leadership group. Prestia'd be nice too, but let's just let him settle into his new club first. ;) 

If I'm rating Jones harshly, I'm going to rate Vince even more so. Vince is a 'character' and footy clubs have those types of flogs/larrikins. And that's fine, but they shouldn't be in the leadership group.

So that leaves, Jones, Viney, Gawn, Watts and McDonald. We either make it a five man leadership group or consider popping Dom Tyson in there as well.

Edited by AdamFphlebeb
NOTE: I'd also incude Jetta. Sorry Jetts!

I love the way Watts owns the big moment, not unlike Jimmy Bartel or Shaun Burgoyne but i am not sure making him a leader is a great plan, i want to see him re-produce this form for at least another year.

Nev Jetta i think will be in the leadership group next year. 

if Dion Prestia comes to the club i would have thought he'd also find himself in there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jumbo returns said:

How did you beat the filters???

I'm impressed! I like the cut of your jib, btw :)

I reckon that particular filter must have a well tuned sarcasmometer.

But truthfully, how awesome is it to see JW absolutely and without question dictate the outcome of a game...

Some of Demonlands 'self-proclaimed' better posters must feel rather silly right now. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, olisik said:

Jones always goes missing in the 4th. Need a leader who doesn't. 

32 minutes ago, Ricky P said:

Say it again mate.

10 minutes ago, olisik said:

Jones always goes missing in the 4th

Gave me a good a good laugh Oli!

• Like 2

Look in all honesty Jones has done a good job over the years especially when we were down however to move forward as a team we need to continue to raise standards and to be frank I just don't see him as a leader who will ever stand up in big games and drag us over the line like a Hodge, Riewoldt or Jack would. 

• Like 1

Just coz watts is playing well doesn't mean he is a leader. Let's just enjoy him playing well  

Viney

jones

t mac 

Gawn

are our leaders in order. Good to see youth take over. Vince has never been a leader and he clearly still isn't. Leave him to be the finisher. 

• Like 4

Even though I agree that Jones has been down on form this year, no one in our club busts his arse as much as he does, or for as long as he has, plus it's not all about on field performance.

If Jones still wants to Captain, I still want him as Captain. ?

• Like 1

Hard to know how Jack W is seen off-field, AFL leaders have a tendency to be hard-nosed pricks, and not sure that's our Jack.

On the other hand, if on-field leadership is standing up under pressure, making a difference, and leading by example, then Jack showed that today.

Clubs had a 6 man leadership group for a few years now. Think they'll keep the same number.

Nathan Jones (Captain)

Jack Viney (Vice Captain)

Max Gawn

Tom McDonald (assuming he stays)

Jack Watts

Dion Prestia  (if he comes over) failing which Angus Brayshaw 

Time for the club to start to put the responsibility onto the young brigade. Viney may well be ready for top honors come 2018.

• Like 1