This week's preparation

Tonight's win over the Dockers was, in the circumstances, encouraging. Coming off a six day break, with players injured and tiring in the hot, humid conditions, the team could not have been expected to maintain the pressure it applied in the first half of the game.

The test now is how to prepare for the next game. Traditionally, Melbourne has faltered in games after those trips to warmer climates. This time, we have an eight day break and our Casey contingent rested after a bye.

But there's more to it than selecting the right line up; the team has to be prepared for a tough assignment at Etihad Stadium against St Kilda who we haven't beaten since the 2006 Elimination Final. 

According to Jade Rawlings, the club has things in hand - 

Trio of matches planned methodically

That may well be the case but when the teams last met there was also a lot of talk about being well prepared - the team was coming off a six day break - but this wasn't reflected at the selection table or on the ground during the game where the team looked slow. 

We are in for an interesting week.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

The test now is how to prepare for the next game. Traditionally, Melbourne has faltered in games after those trips to warmer climates. This time, we have an eight day break and our Casey contingent rested after a bye.

The other difference is that the Saints  have one day less than us this time. Probably as even a preparation as we can expect without the benefit of a bye.

15 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

We have to get this recovery workflow totally sorted. If we have this deal for another 2 years

We must be the best in the comp at recovery to compensate for these dammed Desert Sojourns..

There's no excuse needed from Alice. It's only warm there.

But for the Darwin game we need a bye after it and we need to demand it from the AFL. For whatever reason we don't. 

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

There's no excuse needed from Alice. It's only warm there.

But for the Darwin game we need a bye after it and we need to demand it from the AFL. For whatever reason we don't. 

We will agree to disagree on Alice

it is a lot different to being in Melbourne for a once off game

it is a massive disadvantage for the following week but we need cash

Edited by Sir Why You Little

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

We will agree to disagree on Alice

it is a lot different to being in Melbourne for a once off game

it is a massive disadvantage because we need cash

It was warmer against Brisbane at the G than our game at Alice this year.

The thing that annoys me about Alice is that we have to play Port there every year. Given they have a large fan base it's pretty much an away game. 

1 minute ago, DeeSpencer said:

The thing that annoys me about Alice is that we have to play Port there every year. Given they have a large fan base it's pretty much an away game. 

Yes but you are not factoring in all the training pre game in heat whilst our opponent trains in winter conditions. I am in Bangkok right now. Its a "cool night" but it sure aint Melbourne. 

Humidity is almost inverted

5 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Yes but you are not factoring in all the training pre game in heat whilst our opponent trains in winter conditions. I am in Bangkok right now. Its a "cool night" but it sure aint Melbourne. 

Humidity is almost inverted

Desert not tropical conditions in Alice. Not much humidity at all. And they only do a light training run pre game. It's probably less physically fatiguing than a trip to Brisbane or the Gold Coast and certainly Perth can be hotter in the early rounds of the year.

2 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Desert not tropical conditions in Alice. Not much humidity at all. And they only do a light training run pre game. It's probably less physically fatiguing than a trip to Brisbane or the Gold Coast and certainly Perth can be hotter in the early rounds of the year.

I know Alice conditions...Vastly different to a Melbourne winter. 

That's why we get such a big bag of $$$$

nobody wants to take the deal. I mean we even play the same teams up there. 

NO ADVANTAGE AT ALL

44 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I'm emailing PJ for an explanation as to why we have to play Port in Alice every year, and to see if we can possibly get another opponent next year.

It feels like a genuine away game when we play Port there.

1 minute ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I'm emailing PJ for an explanation as to why we have to play Port in Alice every year, and to see if we can possibly get another opponent next year.

It feels like a genuine away game when we play Port there.

I think it's part of the financial deal because it guarantees a crowd. 

Pretty much the NT government will only pay what they pay to host a game at Alice if the crowd will be decent and the only way to achieve that is to have it against Port. 

Plus we don't want to play the Crows there because we usually draw a decent crowd against Adelaide in Melbourne - see last week.

• Like 1

Rotation for 6 weeks after the bye was/is essential for the 6 day breaks, 3 i/state games and manage our kids.  So some players will be rested next week and then called back to go West for WCE the following week.

I think next week's match will be very different to rnd 6:

• Hickey caught Max by surprise last time.  Maxy will have a QB Collingwood type game when he decided to take down their 3 pronged 'giant' rucks, single handed.  Proud man, our Max.  Hickey won't get the better of Max, this time.
  • It was Petracca's first game - has a better feel for the game now
  • Wagner and Hunt had had only a couple of senior games - smarter players now.
  • Oliver didn't play and comes in fresh as a daisy.  Wagner also comes in fresh.  Ditto other possible inclusions such as ANB, Bugg...
  • Frost will play back rather than forward - help stop the leaking of goals out the back which cost us numerous goals last time
  • Jesse loves to kick a bag at ES
  • We have 10 more games experience with our game plan and defence
  • Since the Port game we have stemmed leaking easy goals out the back.
  • Jeffy is due to kick a few...owes the team. 
  • Acres will be stopped!!  Bugg recall??
  • They are the team with the 6 day break.
  • Vand in this time so will help stop the ball getting out the back.

Yes, we will be a lot better prepared.  Both in player selection and in game tactics. 

We will be 'fresh' and we will win. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

Reckon we'll get smacked next week.

We should beat them. They are a 4-5 goal better side at Etihad, but I think we're a 7-8 goal better side, so we should beat them anyway. 

Once again we face them after a short turnaround: played them on a Saturday afternoon after playing the previous round on a Sunday night, now we play them (at Etihad again!) after a taxing trip to NT. 

Saints were very average against Adelaide and GC but turned it up against Geelong, and spanked Freo. 

Should be an interesting game, but it comes at a bad time for us.

• Like 1

I hope we can get up and win!  

I'm flying over from NZ to see the game.  It will be the first time I have seen Max play live since his Ormond and Sandy dragon days.  I'm pretty excited!  The biggest thing I have been worried about since I booked my tickets is that Maxy would get injured and not play, hopefully there are no disasters before the weekend!.  I feel like we are a good chance of winning.

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Rotation for 6 weeks after the bye was/is essential for the 6 day breaks, 3 i/state games and manage our kids.  So some players will be rested next week and then called back to go West for WCE the following week.

• Hickey caught Max by surprise last time.  Maxy will have a QB Collingwood type game when he decided to take down their 3 pronged 'giant' rucks, single handed.  Proud man, our Max.  Hickey won't get the better of Max, this time.
  • Oliver didn't play and comes in fresh as a daisy.  Wagner also comes in fresh.  Ditto other possible inclusions such as ANB, Bugg...
  • Frost will play back rather than forward - help stop the leaking of goals out the back which cost us numerous goals last time

Yes, we will be a lot better prepared.  Both in player selection and in game tactics. 

You've talked me in to it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Nasher said:

You've talked me in to it.

I'm still unconvinced, but me and my suspected old-woman hangover will be there next Sunday to experience that awful ground, and that awful opponent.

Here is hoping we actually bring in enough fresh players, and play 21 extra players around Hogan, unlike last time.

It's no disadvantage. the disadvantage is that this year we play the saints at their home ground for our home game. [censored] brilliant fixturing that is

• Like 2

I'd be interested to know how those Darwin games impact on big blokes like Gawn and Hogan. I remember reading that Jono Brown would lose 5-6 kg during a hot game in Brisbane. Apparently this was all very closely monitored and he would be fed a huge hamburger and litres of drink immediately after the game. He would not leave the ground until measured levels of hydration and weight were re established.

3 hours ago, praha said:

We should beat them. They are a 4-5 goal better side at Etihad, but I think we're a 7-8 goal better side, so we should beat them anyway. 

Once again we face them after a short turnaround: played them on a Saturday afternoon after playing the previous round on a Sunday night, now we play them (at Etihad again!) after a taxing trip to NT. 

Saints were very average against Adelaide and GC but turned it up against Geelong, and spanked Freo. 

Should be an interesting game, but it comes at a bad time for us.

We absolutely should beat them, mate, but I just don't hold much hope the side won't be lethargic. We often save most of our lethargy for Etihad anyway. But absolutely no doubt we're the better side. They seem to match up well on us though. And Riewoldt manages to kill us every time even though he's practically in a nursing home. Bit like Brent Harvey. 

Don't get me wrong. I'll be annoyed if we lose, but our inconsistency as a young team this season, with little leadership in the older brigade has continually hurt us. It'll be a big step forward if we can take care of the Saints next week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

This is a great post as usual, LH. Quickly becoming one of my favourite posters.

RE: Frost playing back, not forward, I think in general our defence is a lot more settled than it was in Round 6. The guys have played at least a month of footy together on end and are getting the nack for two-way running. But I think as always, this game will be won in the middle. Can Nathan Jones and Bernie Vince step up? Can Viney and Tyson continue their outstanding recent run of form? Do this and we go close. 

RE: Jesse loves to kick a bag at ES, more specifically, he loves to kick a bag against St Kilda at Etihad. I think there'll be extra focus on Jesse this week, which will hopefully allow Watts a bit of extra freedom.

• Like 2