RICHMOND v CASEY SCORPIONS

KC from Casey

1 hour ago, old dee said:

Based solely on those statts Four players screaming "I should be playing in Darwin'

Dunn, Grimes, ANB and Oliver.

ANB won't be the coach did not give him a big rap.

Dunn and Grimes are in the dog house so that probably means Oliver we be the only change.

I suspect that Roos may be very impressed with H's 11 possessions and 54 DT points.

• Like 1

CASEY'S CLAYTONS CURTAIN RAISER by KC from Casey

It was the curtain raiser that wasn't - well, almost.

The Casey Scorpions lined up against Richmond's VFL team at the old Punt Road Oval in a game starting at around 2.00pm which was once the traditional starting time of all games in the league. However, it was a pity that this game was played at that time and not an hour or so earlier in the because it was a perfect opportunity for Demon fans to witness their younger brigade before the MCG game. Instead most lined around the fence outside for a quick glimpse before heading off to the nearby MCG where the AFL game was due to begin at around half time in this game. 

Richmond has been struggling a little this year but at its spiritual home the team played like the Tigers of old in front of the ghosts of their old team. After Casey jumped out to an early three goal lead thanks to the superb efforts in front of goal by talls in Liam Hulett, Sam Weideman and Tim Smith, the home side came back strongly to dominate the second half of the opening term to trail by just seven points at the break. 

This set the pattern for most of the game. The Scorpions would start a quarter strongly, appear to take control with a few goals only to be reigned in by the Tigers. The only constant was forward Tim Smith who provided a perfect target on the way to his second five goal haul for the season. 

Casey was well served in the ruck by lion-hearted ruckman Jake Spencer with Jack Grines and Viv Michie providing solid run and support. Youngsters Angus Brayshaw and Clayton Oliver showed great promise for the future and in twelve month's time do not be surprised if they and Alex Neal-Bullen are all regular fixtures in Melbourne's best 22.

The Scorpions ended up scrapping their way to an unconvincing two point victory over a team which is well out of finals contention. They remain on top of the ladder and will be looking to perform much better against Footscray when they return after their third bye in five weeks. That situation is certainly not good enough for a senior semi-professional competition.

Peter Jackson VFL 2016

Casey Scorpions 3.3.21 6.6.42 9.9.63 11.12.78

Richmond 2.2.14 6.3.39 9.9.63 11.10.76

Goals 

Casey Scorpions Smith 5 Hulett Scott 2 Neal-Bullen Weideman 

Richmond Castagna 3 McBean 2  Aarts  Bathie Butler Mellington Moore Silvestro

Best

Casey Scorpions T Smith Grimes Michie Neal-Bullen Brayshaw Morris

Richmond Castagna Silvestro Moore Markov Rioli Drummond

Statistics

Angus Brayshaw 18 disposals 8 kicks 10 handballs 6 tackles 62 dream team points
Lynden Dunn 20 disposals 13  kicks 7 handballs 5 marks 5 tackles 89 dream team points
Colin Garland 15 disposals 11 kicks 4 handballs 6 marks 5 tackles 76 dream team points
Jack Grimes 2 behinds 27 disposals 16 kicks 11 handballs 10 marks 2 tackles 107 dream team points
Liam Hulett 2 goals 1 behind 12 disposals 10 kicks 2 handballs 5 marks 62 dream team points
Max King 3 disposals 1 kicks 2 handballs 1 marks 3 tackles 6 hit outs 28 dream team points
Heritier Lumumba 11 disposals 6 kicks 5 handballs 2 marks 5 tackles 54 dream team points
Viv Michie 30 disposals 15 kicks 15 handballs 3 marks 86 dream team points
Alex Neale-Bullen 1 goal 1 behind 26 disposals 14 kicks 12 handballs 4 marks 3 tackles 89 dream team points
Ben Newton 16 disposals 8 kicks 8 handballs 2 marks 4 tackles 60 dream team points
Clayton Oliver 25 disposals 9 kicks 16 handballs 3 marks 11 tackles 1 hit out 106 dream team points
Jake Spencer 10 disposals 4 kicks 6 handballs 1 mark 4 tackles 42 hit outs 83 dream team points
Dean Terlich 1 behind 12 disposals 7 kicks 5 handballs 6 marks 2 tackles 1 hit out 56 dream team points
Jack Trengove14 disposals 5 kicks 9 handballs 2 marks 5 tackles 1 hit out 60 dream team points
Sam Weideman 1 goal 11 disposals 7 kicks 4 handballs 7 marks 53 dream team points
Mitch White 19 disposals 11 kicks 8 handballs 3 marks 4 tackles 75  dream team points

The Casey Development League team continued in its newly found form and comfortably beat Coburg by 26 points.

AFL Victoria Development League

Casey Scorpions 3.5.23 7.7.49 12.7.79 12.10.82

Coburg 2.2.14 3.3.21 4.6.30 7.14.56

Goals

Casey Scorpions Hannon Moncrieff Muir Pattison 2 Di Pasquale Freeman Hillard Johnston

Coburg Free Holdsworth 2 Corigliano Kovacevic Tegart

Best

Casey Scorpions Gordon Wyatt Pattison McDonald Cox Moncrieff

Coburg Corigliano Stillman Valeri King McDonald Free

Thanks for that KC and as you say the VFL as a support comp for the AFL is in my view a disaster. The problems with the draw is way below what the competition should get.

Come on AFL ( they control things ) you are responsible get it improved.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, old dee said:

I have this feeling he has entered the same house as Dunn and Grimes.

Papers probably stamped 186 participants.

Why did he only play half a game? 

I think I heard Roos say he will be much better in 12 months (when he has more games and a pre season under his belt), of course he may mean with another club but that's not what I took from it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Demonland said:

CASEY'S CLAYTONS CURTAIN RAISER by KC from Casey

It was the curtain raiser that wasn't - well, almost.

The Casey Scorpions lined up against Richmond's VFL team at the old Punt Road Oval in a game starting at around 2.00pm which was once the traditional starting time of all games in the league. However, it was a pity that this game was played at that time and not an hour or so earlier in the because it was a perfect opportunity for Demon fans to witness their younger brigade before the MCG game. Instead most lined around the fence outside for a quick glimpse before heading off to the nearby MCG where the AFL game was due to begin at around half time in this game. 

Thanks KC.  Summed me up to a tee.  If I'd known you were watching, I would have waved.

12 hours ago, rjay said:

Going by dream team points (lol, don't really take much interest) it seems like Trenners had a pretty good game for the time he was on.

Should be fresh for Darwin.

He looked good and moved better than he did in his AFL games. Maybe the pace at VFL level ensures he's not exposed, or maybe he's just taking time to adjust, but he seemed to move over the ground better on Saturday.

• Like 1

On Monday, July 04, 2016 at 8:53 PM, monoccular said:

I suspect that Roos may be very impressed with H's 11 possessions and 54 DT points.

You mean before his concussion?

Also I'd be surprised if Dunn gets a game. I only saw the forest half but wasn't impressed. He lost a number of key contests in the back line that I saw, luckily only cost us 1.3 due to poor kicking. 

1 hour ago, ProDee said:

He looked good and moved better than he did in his AFL games. Maybe the pace at VFL level ensures he's not exposed, or maybe he's just taking time to adjust, but he seemed to move over the ground better on Saturday.

I'm still holding out hope.
He has shown flashes, and it has been a long time since he has played consistently, with the game changing quite a bit in that time.

• Like 1

Hi

I take it that the number of byes in the VFL and indeed the length of the season is a function of there being only 15 teams and that number being an odd number. Just seems that it is disruptive to the season and player development.

On the bye this coming weekend it makes some sense in that it allows MFC to take the full number of emergencies and an extended group to Darwin but on the other hand it precludes a perfect opportunity for some of the MFC members to get along and see Casey play.

And then of course there must be the problem of having a two tier system within a playing group. How do the non MFC players deal at  a personal level with the knowledge that they can go so far but no further not to mention that the success or otherwise of the team may be regarded by some as secondary to the plans of the MFC

35 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Hi

I take it that the number of byes in the VFL and indeed the length of the season is a function of there being only 15 teams and that number being an odd number. Just seems that it is disruptive to the season and player development.

On the bye this coming weekend it makes some sense in that it allows MFC to take the full number of emergencies and an extended group to Darwin but on the other hand it precludes a perfect opportunity for some of the MFC members to get along and see Casey play.

And then of course there must be the problem of having a two tier system within a playing group. How do the non MFC players deal at  a personal level with the knowledge that they can go so far but no further not to mention that the success or otherwise of the team may be regarded by some as secondary to the plans of the MFC

the min number of byes they need is 1 per round. 18 rounds mean min of 18 byes. a bit over 1 per team

as it is they have a mammoth 45 byes being 3 byes for each team, which seems to be a complete over-kill

i'd schedule 1 bye for the first 15 rounds giving each team one bye. then for the last 3 rounds 1 bye each week allocated to the bottom 3 sides

with any luck they'll have an even number of teams next year

Edited by daisycutter
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

the min number of byes they need is 1 per round. 18 rounds mean min of 18 byes. a bit over 1 per team

as it is they have a mammoth 45 byes being 3 byes for each team, which seems to be a complete over-kill

agree that three does sound high

wonder what is the reasoning.....

I suspect the shorter season is due to ground availability

6 hours ago, deanox said:

You mean before his concussion?

He was also on limited game time up until he went off.

Through no fault of his own, not having a great run at it this year, though same could be said about Salem and Brayshaw.

8 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Stats say a lot about Michie....30 possessions 0 tackles!

9 inside 50s out of 52 and 3 rebound 50s out of 30. 4 goal assists. He plays an outside role that provides the outlet so tackles are not the focus of his game. Read Plapps report which rates his game highly  but then he knows what was expected. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2016 at 6:36 PM, old dee said:

Thanks for that KC and as you say the VFL as a support comp for the AFL is in my view a disaster. The problems with the draw is way below what the competition should get.

Come on AFL ( they control things ) you are responsible get it improved.

Agree with everything stated above.

I can not for the life of me see what would be wrong with bringing back a proper reserves team for every AFL listed club (make it national).  Would even up the gap between the rich an poor clubs and give supporters the best opportunity to watch up and coming talent on their clubs list.

With all the from the AFLPA about how the players should be getting a bigger slice of the new trillions, I can not understand why it would not be affordable.

FYI: Casey v Bulldogs Sunday week July 17th @ Whitten oval commencing 11:30am allowing enough time to travel (three train stops) to Etihad for the 3:20 pm Saints game.

There is the option of watching the VFL on the tellie.