SAVIOURS

Whispering_Jack

I'm very happy to see that Christian Petracca has been selected to play for the Demons against the Saints this Saturday but I really do think that the hype and adulation which makes him out to be our saviour is way over the top.

As a long time supporter, I've seen many saviours come and go at Melbourne and most have disappointed us mightily.

I remember the recruitment of John Tilbrook brought great excitement. He was supposed to be a belated replacement for Ron Barassi and when he ran out for his first game against South Melbourne at VFL Park Waverley, the barrel-chested Tilbrook looked like Superman without the cape and the red underparts. His first kick travelled 70 metres in the wet. He kicked two of the team's seven goals that day and Lou Richards labelled him "Diamond Jim". Alas, although he played a few more good games, he ended up a fizzer and the critics were calling him "Diamonte Jim".

There have been many others. I remember a player drafted in the late 80s, Rod Keough, who had the Barassi look about him and showed some early promise but as hard as he tried, he couldn't even establish himself as a regular in the team.

And look at all the others who we thought would save the club.

Perhaps it was the club or the coaches who fostered the saviour mentality but I don't believe that is the case with the current administration and coaches and I hope that CP5 can play out career and be as good or as great as possible without the weight of expectation we have unfairly placed on the others?

• Like 5

While I agree somewhat Jack,   I think it is a bit different this time around.   I don't expect him to be best on ground, but I expect him to play his role within the team.

I think it is the media which is driving the hype and not our club which is different to previous saviours.

I think that the club made him earn his place and held him back whereas other coaching depts. would have unveiled him to promote the club.

Anyhow.....Good luck to the kid.  

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I'm very happy to see that Christian Petracca has been selected to play for the Demons against the Saints this Saturday but I really do think that the hype and adulation which makes him out to be our saviour is way over the top.

As a long time supporter, I've seen many saviours come and go at Melbourne and most have disappointed us mightily.

I remember the recruitment of John Tilbrook brought great excitement. He was supposed to be a belated replacement for Ron Barassi and wehen he ran out for his first game against South Melbourne at VFL Park Waverley, the barrel-chested Tilbrook looked like Superman without the cape and the red underparts. His first kick travelled 70 metres in the wet. He kicked two of the team's seven goals that day and Lou Richards labelled him "Diamond Jim". Alas, although he played a few more good games, he ended up a fizzer and the critics were calling him "Diamonte Jim".

There have been many others. I remember a player drafted in the late 80s, Rod Keough, who had the Barassi look about him and showed some early promise but as hard as he tried, he couldn't even establish himself as a regular in the team.

Perhaps it was the club or the coaches who fostered the saviour mentality but I don't believe that is the case with the current administration and coaches and I hope that CP5 can play out career and be as good or as great as possible without the weight of expectation we have unfairly placed on the others?

Here, here WJ. We are in a very different position today, and have a number of "saviors" some of which have matured under our tutor-ledge, and others like Petracca, Brayshaw, Viney, Salem who have been with us a year or so. We are also a much stronger club in all ways than we have been in the short to medium past.

Fortunately we no longer have to rely on instant solutions. The foundations are strong, strong enough to make us a preferred destination in the future.

51 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I remember the recruitment of John Tilbrook brought great excitement. He was supposed to be a belated replacement for Ron Barassi and when he ran out for his first game against South Melbourne at VFL Park Waverley, the barrel-chested Tilbrook looked like Superman without the cape and the red underparts. His first kick travelled 70 metres in the wet. He kicked two of the team's seven goals that day and Lou Richards labelled him "Diamond Jim". Alas, although he played a few more good games, he ended up a fizzer and the critics were calling him "Diamonte Jim".

The thing I have liked about the Petracca debut and discussion is that it hasn't been framed as him being a savior, I have seen it far more as people being exited to see what he can bring to the table, and it seems the media are on board with that. 

I am loving the fact we aren't seen as needing a savior, we have a good strong experienced bunch in Vince, Jones, McDonald, Jetta, Garlett, Dunn, Lumumba, and Watts. None of whom are absolute stars but all would get a game in pretty much every other team. Then we have a big bunch of inexperienced youngsters in Viney, Salem, Brayshaw, Oliver, Hogan, Harmes, Tyson, Frost, Wagner, Hunt, Gawn, Avb, Kent etc etc. These guys are all showing they have what it takes at this level, some may end up stars but again pretty much all would be picked up and put on any list in the land. Petracca just adds to this bunch, he may end up the best of them all, he may not, it doesn't really matter as as a bunch they do show a lot of promise and it looks like there are finally good times ahead, with or without Petracca. 

• Like 2

A saviour can't make a champion team. What we see is a club determined to become a champion team and all players will have a role. Some will go on to make it, some will drift by the wayside. Like you WJ I have seen them come and go. I would prefer a Bernie Vince or any number of our young talent rather than focusing on one or two players. I guess that it's hard not to be excited by CP but it's in the context of seeing another young talented player come into the team that already boasts real talent. However, CP needs to prove himself, he needs to be a team orientated player who will sacrifice his game at times for the good of the team. And he needs to stay injury free, which may be a challenge for a young boy with so much bulk. I hope I am proved wrong on the injury front but it is noticeable that our youngsters this year have not bulked up to much and that has not been an impediment in the contest. 

• Like 1

Jim Tilbrook had very poor eyesight and played for Sturt with a wing man who used to put the ball down his throat (his surname was Light), Petracca has a body which I would liken to Russel Richards who just came to Melbourne to get some money for his farm and not to play football.  So long as he has the passion and the application Petracca will be a player in the mould of Josh Kennedy or Tim Watson.  As a player so long as you have the talent and are willing to work hard and put the effort in getting the best out of your self them sky the limit.

• Like 2

For one of the few times I think you have the wrong end of the stick Jack. Yes everyone is excited to see what he can produce as there has been no shortage of footy people making very big calls on him. But I haven't heard any of the saviour mentality more a hope of Petracca being a (rather large) cherry on top. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fndee said:

For one of the few times I think you have the wrong end of the stick Jack. Yes everyone is excited to see what he can produce as there has been no shortage of footy people making very big calls on him. But I haven't heard any of the saviour mentality more a hope of Petracca being a (rather large) cherry on top. 

You haven't been listening to SEN lately have you?

Kevin Templeton and Peter Moore were touted as "saviours" when we recruited them both in an almighty coup. Of the two, Moore turned out to be a good punt however it is a shame that he didn't last 100+ games like he did at Collingwood, otherwise our forward line would be looking mighty handy today.

Just now, CBDees said:

Kevin Templeton and Peter Moore were touted as "saviours" when we recruited them both in an almighty coup. Of the two, Moore turned out to be a good punt however it is a shame that he didn't last 100+ games like he did at Collingwood, otherwise our forward line would be looking mighty handy today.

spot on, his son is going to be a real gun

Couldn't disagree more.

The excitement around Petracca is just part of the excitement around the club with how we're traveling and the young blokes we have coming through as a group. We're already improving and are enjoyable to watch, so the "hype" around this is all part and parcel of that rather than seeing one player as a saviour.

This is simply excitement for an exciting player, not excitement because we think this single player will turn our fortunes around.

• Like 2

I think the excitement around his selection has more to do with the build up that is 18 months out of the game. The fact that he's had to get to a certain level of form to be picked has added to the eagerness of fans. I don't - and I would think others would agree - see him as a saviour at all. 

I just very much look forward to his debut at AFL level. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Agree with this 100%. I'm excited to see Track play, but no more than any of our other quality young players. Put it this way, if he didn't get a kick but we won I'd be happy.

We've got a pretty good side now and I think the days of us lionising players who haven't even played a game should become a thing of the past.  

Edited by Ricky P

There is not just hype, but there is hope, and anticipation. Most people saw the disappointment in the kid when he did an ACL, and the emotions surrounding that - both for him and many people feeling for him. I think that drives up and interest in Petracca for many people. Much of this interest IMO isn't just hype, it is also emotion.

No one has said he is our Saviour.

haven't seen that written or said anywhere.

People are just excited to finally see him debut as he comes with big wraps.

• Like 2