POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 5

Demonland

Fantastic effort.

Mediocre execution.

We'll struggle to beat good teams playing as sloppy as we did tonight, but we'll be in the game with the effort. 

We just have to find the right balance between sharing the ball and overusing it. If we are out in space, don't go back in. If we are under pressure but running forward then kick to advantage instead of trying to find extra handballs. 

Our step backwards in the 3rd quarter was created by players trying to be more direct to make up for the first half where the overuse was prominent.

The last quarter we found the balance again. Although we left a few goals out there/created a few hassles either trying to be too direct (Frost up and under kick that did Kent no favours), not pulling the trigger (the pass to Hogan that was off line and spoilt before the goal game from Tyson) or the opposite in trying to walk it in (Hogan smothered). 

Some other mental errors like lack of concentration (hello Tommy Mc 50) and getting sucked in to a 1/4 time fight that we can avoid.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Fantastic effort.

Mediocre execution.

We'll struggle to beat good teams playing as sloppy as we did tonight, but we'll be in the game with the effort. 

We just have to find the right balance between sharing the ball and overusing it. If we are out in space, don't go back in. If we are under pressure but running forward then kick to advantage instead of trying to find extra handballs. 

Our step backwards in the 3rd quarter was created by players trying to be more direct to make up for the first half where the overuse was prominent.

The last quarter we found the balance again. Although we left a few goals out there/created a few hassles either trying to be too direct (Frost up and under kick that did Kent no favours), not pulling the trigger (the pass to Hogan that was off line and spoilt before the goal game from Tyson) or the opposite in trying to walk it in (Hogan smothered). 

Some other mental errors like lack of concentration (hello Tommy Mc 50) and getting sucked in to a 1/4 time fight that we can avoid.

Be happy. Do you realise what happened tonight?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AmDamDemon said:

I was pretty young so maybe not remembering correctly, but Wagner and Hunt remind me of players like Ingerson and Big Mac in the 90s. Effective, reliable and pretty good kicks of the footy. 

Ingo was a rock solid marking CHB. Tom McDonald might be heading that way. 

Big Mac, as in Anthony McDonald. Really honest depth midfielder with a good mix of run, skill and commitment. Might be more Harmes like. 

Last week Wagner played a bit like Clint Bizzell. Not so much in the air this week but lots of class disposal for Wagner today. 

Hunt is fast and I don't think we've seen the best of his speed yet. Clean by hand. Much stronger defensively than I thought, good overhead as he's deceptively tall. Not sure I've got a comparison from the 90's/00's yet for him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Fantastic effort.

Mediocre execution.

Spot on.

1 minute ago, The Reverend said:

Be happy. Do you realise what happened tonight?

It's the post match discussion thread. Not the cheersquad circle jerk. 

A great step forward. Fantastic effort as I said. 

Win or lost there's lessons from every game. Tomorrow in the review the message should be don't play with your food. 

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Fantastic effort.

Mediocre execution.

Good analysis

1 minute ago, Demon Jack said:

I love Tomas Bugg. 

Yeh, Bugg's last 2 weeks have been up there.  A few weeks to settle in, adapting to the game style/plan, getting to know his team mates playing habits and feeling part of the place. He is clearly enjoying himself and us supporters love his cheek and mongrel. Loved it when he gave it to the Richmond cheer squad after his great mark and goal.

Wrapped with ankther hoo doo being broken. I said a few weeks ago after the Norf effort that it was the first time I've seen us play unsociable footy since the Northy/Balme era. It continued again tonight. There will be testing times as we have such an inexperienced outfit vs most clubs but the belief is there and anything's possible now.

The best part of this for me is I've noticed many more posters and some scribes are now .... finally...referring to us as the Demons again. Amazing what happens when you come out most weeks and fight like one!

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Ingo was a rock solid marking CHB. Tom McDonald might be heading that way. 

Big Mac, as in Anthony McDonald. Really honest depth midfielder with a good mix of run, skill and commitment. Might be more Harmes like. 

Last week Wagner played a bit like Clint Bizzell. Not so much in the air this week but lots of class disposal for Wagner today. 

Hunt is fast and I don't think we've seen the best of his speed yet. Clean by hand. Much stronger defensively than I thought, good overhead as he's deceptively tall. Not sure I've got a comparison from the 90's/00's yet for him.

I just get the feeling that Harmes is going to play a solid 200+ games for us.  He kind of reminds me of Junior, not so much in the way he plays as the attitude. 

What I liked of Hunt tonight was that he used that pace in little bursts.  We haven't seen him blitzing down the wing yet, but he's getting the hang of taking a few steps flat out to make a space in which to work.  Also his closing speed no a couple of those spoils was exceptional.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Laziness? On our part? What game were you watching?

Agree with the skill errors (McDonald...) and some bad decisions (early on we were far too keen to switch the ball without thinking about whether it was the right move or not) and the umpiring (tried hard to keep Richmond in it, they did). But not laziness.

A lot of sloppy kicks, missed tackles and just general poor skills that could have been avoided if the players were a bit sharper.

I'm ecstatic we won, but Richmond really were terrible and they only got as close as they did because we allowed them to. Who was supposed to be on Edwards by the way?

• Like 2

A lot of big winners out of this game and not just Gawn and Viney.

The coach Roos and his assistants for implementing a faster backline that can run and switch - I stlll had a couple behind me yelling for players to just kick it blindly ahead, but thank christ that sort of mentality is left to the Neeld days for good.

Tubby Taylor must be crowing tonight - another big win for his recruiting methods even without Oliver, Petrracca and VB. How good was it to have two guys in the line up that weren't in any of our sides three months ago - Hunt and Wagner, not to mention Bugg and Kennedy.

Other winners that deserve mention are:

Gawny - yet another game that shows he is now among the best handful of ruckman - reminded me of Sandi tonight and his first half set us up.

Viney - for once copped the hard tag ahead of Jones and responded with an amazing second half to make sure we won. I've said before that he's a culture changer and when the Tiges had a crack in the third he responded with the most committed efforts you will ever see. And then by chance he happened to be on hand when Rance did his lolly at Jack beating him. And he made sure Alex knew what he thought of it in no uncertain terms.

Kent - I reckon he was on his way to a lengthy stint in the VFL at halftime of the North game and even though he got out of jail, tonight was his most unselfish game he's played for us - and his best.

Frost and Pedo - how many DL's have been hollering for their omission the past few weeks. I think we got an idea of their importance to the team structure - you can't just have 22 midfielders and you need role players. How many times did Frost chase hard or try and block the run of a defender. He will never be a star - but he doesn't have to be.

Wattsy - another game where he was the class at the end of the line. He has finally arrived.

Cotchin - I thought his game was one of the best by an opposition skipper on a losing side. Can't believe that he has critics within - but then again we are talking Richmond.

Hunt and Lumumba - Hard to know if it was the Dogs style or Adelaide or West Coast that forced almost all coaches to think about  attacking this year - but I think finally the Prince knockers will stop and now realise that to have a player that is desperate to take the game on is a bonus and you have to forgive the odd mistake because without these guys you are gone.

T-Mac - Jack Riewoldt was pretty good, but T-Mac was unbelievably good and his kicking was again spot on - except for his last tired clearance which went directly out on the full - but when you are knackered and 35points up, does it really matter?

Dunny - I think we again saw that he's become pretty slow and he may not survive the season as our full-back, but he spotted Salem in trouble at the quarter time stoush and he made a beeline to protect him. That was leadership.

And the big winner was Dom Tyson. If any player was under pressure it was him because those of us who had an inkling about team selection could see that if Oliver and Petracca were about to come in next week, then a midfielder and a small forward had to make room. Dom was everywhere and his kicking was the best its been ... since ever. He was better than his 2014 season.

Edited by Deespicable
  • Like 7

What a ripping couple of weeks. Opposition have been mostly woeful, but there's no denying both of them tried to put up a fight. Best part was we were having none of it. 

Jack Viney, so much talk about all the other talent on the list. This kid has exploded. Would walk into any team. One of the hardest games I've seen from a Demon in ages. Just a bull. 

Gawn. Don't rate Maric, but he did what you should do to a ageing dinosaur, showed him what the new breed is all about. What a Goliath. Sensational first half. 

Tyson reminded me what he was all about. Great game, foot skills have been neat the last 2 weeks, no lazy handballs and some very creative ones. Was a Richmond supporter too, so cop that. 

JeffG and Vince, just called in 2 assassins who got the job done. 

Kent and BenK. Chemistry in the forward line is as good as it has been since I can remember, these 2 have a huge part in that, they terrorise and then create, often selfless and usually clinical finishers. 

Tom McDonald. Few errors but when he does way more good I don't care. Been pretty good by foot overall, the bad ones just stick out. 

Pedo needs more credit, he's been working harder than he ever has, and has been vital to our form. Bobbed up in so many important parts of the last 2 games. 

Loving Hunt and Wagner. Speed and class, we needed both back there. 

Don't care for negatives tonight, loving life. 

Edit: Forgot Tom Bugg, how? That was the biggest [censored] of a goal since Schwarz showed Carlton the ball. And I loved it! What a [censored]. Pretty sure he mentioned Cotch's missus a few times too, nice lad!

Edited by Deestroy All
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

You're a better man than I am.

Come on Clint, have a drink and smile. We won 2 in a damn row. We ruined the season of Collingwood and Richmond. We are on 3 wins out of 5 games. Trac, Trenners and your lovechild Vanders still to come. Life's good man!

• Like 7

Just now, Jaded said:

Come on Clint, have a drink and smile. We won 2 in a damn row. We ruined the season of Collingwood and Richmond. We are on 3 wins out of 5 games. Trac, Trenners and your lovechild Vanders still to come. Life's good man!

I know, I just really don't rate Richmond and I wanted the percentage boost!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

You're a better man than I am.

Will jump back on the negatives when we lose. 

Hard not to enjoy 20 goals a week. Hawks can only dream of such s score. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

It's the post match discussion thread. Not the cheersquad circle jerk.

A great step forward. Fantastic effort as I said.

Win or lost there's lessons from every game. Tomorrow in the review the message should be don't play with your food.

Yep, correct, DeeS: Jack said pretty precisely that in Burgo's interview.

It's hard to get the discussion and cheering in balance after a game/night like this, though!;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I know, I just really don't rate Richmond and I wanted the percentage boost!

We only won by 33 points. It's a tough life. 

Remember when we were losing by 100 points a week? Yeah me too. 

• Like 5

Agree with Deestroy all! A  win sets you up for a good week at Work! Forget how good or bad your work is!  A great win like that means

1 You smile at the wife

2 You take the dog for a walk

3 You get a an electricity bill in the mail and you pay with a smile on your face

4 You can hang it on any Ninethmond supporters that you know!

5 Finally you will go to bed tonight with that permanent little smirk on your face that comes with a satisfying win!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

A lot of sloppy kicks, missed tackles and just general poor skills that could have been avoided if the players were a bit sharper.

I'm ecstatic we won, but Richmond really were terrible and they only got as close as they did because we allowed them to. Who was supposed to be on Edwards by the way?

Clever player with the way he just darts out of stoppages. Particularly when we were handballing around the back of them too often, which gave them a chance. 

Gawny was great tonight, but I thought Maric did a Jamar style job of getting his experienced body in the way and so making sure Max had to go to set spots most of the night. Hard to pick up live but I don't think we were as dominant in close as we could've been. Maric is experienced. Cotch for all the jokes can play. Martin dangerous. Miles a very hard worker. Grigg's played a lot of footy. Probably can't be too disappointed in that. 

So getting back to Edwards, I think we just have to make sure our young backline are on top of their set ups and position so we can't lose him at a stoppage. I really love Salem and Jetta getting dragged up to stoppages as I think they could be inside mids if they had to. Strong and clean in close. But Hunt and Wagner probably aren't used to that. And Lumumba we know is a potentially fantastic player in space but not great in tight spots.

• Like 2