A True Demon Believer by Martin Flanagan

Lucifers Hero

Here is another outstanding article by Martin Flanagan, this time about Big Max. 

Big Max a true Demon believer

There are too many wonderful parts to quote them all but these especially caught my eye:

- He is just beginning his career in earnest, but what he does have in common with Stynes is a certain sinewy strength and unqualified commitment. Of his time at Melbourne, Big Max says: "First, I fell in love with the club." He was sidelined by a knee reconstruction for the whole of 2009. "I watched a lot. I became a supporter. Then I became a real big supporter." 

-"I just want to see this club be great again."

And these made me laugh:

-"As a sledger, I'm gaining confidence. I was poor to begin with."

- He's had three coaches...Roos? "He brought excellence to the club." He was a great player at Fitzroy, I remark. "Yes," says Big Max. "He's told us."

Clearly Stynes had a big impact on how Max feels about the mfc.  ditto Jr Mac as his first captain.

Also Interesting to read the transformation in Nat Jones - The captaincy has sat well with him - he is set to go to new heights this year.  Think he would be very proud to captain his young band of merry men. 

Great read. 
  • Like 18

Great interview again from Flanners, all about genuine personality, something we hear precious little about in the instant gossip world we have now. I remember thinking after the Geelong game last year that we had just seen the future of the MFC in big Maxy. He's got everything that brings people to a club, old and new. I can't wait to watch him this year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AmDamDemon said:

"Taken by Melbourne with their 34th pick at the 2009 national draft, he entered the Demons changerooms for the first time to find all the players dressed up for a dancing contest."

...says it all, really.

What was that line Malthouse used about what Neeld walked into 'a club that was about everything but football'.

Say what you will about Neeld, that much was true.

It is impossible not to love the big guy.

Can we organise a "Fear the beard" day some round this year where we all sit in the cheer squad with fake beards? kinda like the Richie Beanaud guys at the Sydney test and the blue wigs at the NSW state of origin games?

Imagine an entire bay of melbourne fans wearing fake beards.

Brilliant.

Can we organise a "Fear the beard" day some round this year where we all sit in the cheer squad with fake beards? kinda like the Richie Beanaud guys at the Sydney test and the blue wigs at the NSW state of origin games?

Brilliant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Sailing Demon said:

Brilliant.

Like it, how many games has he played? If he's got a milestone this year I reckon that should be a lock. Or maybe just have a bunch of them of standby if (when) he plays a dominating game.

This year he's going to go from having a cult following amongst die hard demon fans, to being rated and well known in the whole competition. Love that he's got passion and love for the club, exactly the sort of guy you want at the club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Sailing Demon said:

9 minutes ago, Pates said:

Like it, how many games has he played? If he's got a milestone this year I reckon that should be a lock.

Max is sitting on 39 games. If all goes to plan he will play his 50th this year....

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

It might be a bit much for a 50 gamer, but there's so much love for him I say we do it. I recall the bombers did something similar for Heppell where they gave kids mop top wigs, I didn't like it but then I reckon given what Max has been through with injuries it'd be a great show from the fans.

• Like 1

Thanks to Demon fans Matt who wrote the song and Josh who sent this in, here's today's season opener of the Coodabeens and they too are into the Gawn Dog - the song's at around about the 22 minute mark but it's worth listening to the whole programme - http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/local/coodabeens/201603/r1544332_23098758.mp3

• Like 1

Get Mad Max!!!

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Thanks to Demon fans Matt who wrote the song and Josh who sent this in, here's today's season opener of the Coodabeens and they too are into the Gawn Dog - the song's at around about the 22 minute mark but it's worth listening to the whole programme - http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/local/coodabeens/201603/r1544332_23098758.mp3

Classic Coodabeens, saying that "Gawn is the breakout player for the season even though it hasn't started yet."

• Like 1

Another great article by Flanagan, he gets to the core of a player, great read. Thanks for sharing it with us LH, Max is one of those players that all supporters cherish and hope and hope that they will get the very best out of themselves and did he come good with a rush down at the Cattery last year.

Fabulous article on one of the game's few "true characters" who can both play footy well, and entertain verbally.  

Go big fella number 37 then 11 - become our best ruckman since Jimmy.