• PODCAST LIVE @ 8:30pm      

Call: 03 9016 3666 or Skype: Demonland31
    Click Here for LIVE Chat
    If you still want to browse Demonland
    while listening to the Podcast
    choose pop up player below

TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Could Melbourne have Western Bulldogs-like resurgence in 2016?

Curry & Beer

8 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Doggies season seemed like a one off fluke tbh I think we will have sustained success, they wont.

Still cant believe the contract they gave Boyd.

I tend to agree with this. I think theyll have their work cut out sustaining those dizzyheights.

Edited by Demonland
test

1 minute ago, Gorgoroth said:

As much as that article got me excited I truly do not think we will.

We have a hardish draw, still rely on too few, this year we need to get to 10 wins, with luck we finish 8th.

I dont know that its that insurmountable.  Some weeks back I noted that I thought we could do ok until we hit the wall around the Port game.....but we just accounted for them ( yes I know its just NAB...but we still played them, caught them...demoralised them...fun that )

if we can get some early momentum...who knows :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Doggies season seemed like a one off fluke tbh I think we will have sustained success, they wont.

Still cant believe the contract they gave Boyd..

I disagree. The Boyd contract isn't great, but they have a fantastic young midfield and Stringer is an absolute freak who hasn't yet reached his ceiling. Murphy, Morris & Boyd are obviously near the end, but their leadership will be replaced by their young brigade. I think the questions lie in their backline, but I liked what I saw from Collins on the weekend and I think they'll be able to top up with other pieces. 
I really don't mind the Dogs. They've suffered as much as we have, so it's hard to not have a bit of a soft spot for them, IMO.

• Like 6

I think the answer is NO.

While I expect we will show some worthwhile improvement I am not expecting Miracles.

We still have a number ordinary players and a lot of kids who are still wet behind the ears.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, old dee said:

While I expect we will show some worthwhile improvement I am not expecting Miracles.

We still have a number ordinary players and a lot of kids who are still wet behind the ears.

I agree, and it's been on display this pre-season BUT when you realise there are a few not yet on the track, and the real squad is shortened by 4, you look at our best 22  and for me personally I don't see too many remaining weak spots at all. Our spine is strong and we have some real tough ball winners in the middle.  If for ONCE in our lives we can have a decent run with injuries this year there shouldn't be too many Matt Joneses running around out there. To your second point you are spot on - Salem, Viney, Tyson, Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw, Hogan etc these guys are just oozing potential but to expect them to consistently do real damage on game day is asking too much too soon. I also expect about 10 wins which will do me just fine as I expect a few more wins each year until we are right up there, say 2018.

• Like 3

Early wins could give these kids great belief and momentum. 

Honourable losses are just that losses = zero points

we need a couple of bolters. I like Harmes and we need to find the most efficient position for Kennedy '87 was all about momentum, but inlike The Dogs we can win on The 'G

the Dogs play Etihad toy ground...

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

I dont know that its that insurmountable.  Some weeks back I noted that I thought we could do ok until we hit the wall around the Port game.....but we just accounted for them ( yes I know its just NAB...but we still played them, caught them...demoralised them...fun that )

if we can get some early momentum...who knows :)

Bub you are on fire on this thread. We have got better depth, picked up a couple and see player development. But I am too scarred to make predictions. I see a work in progress from a player point of view and team point of view. Even from a coaching point of view. I am hoping for improvement and the proof that we are on our way over the 5 years. I am watching with renewed hope but not yet trust.

1 hour ago, Juicebox said:

Reading demonland at 3/4Q time on Sunday, you would've thought we'd be fighting it out for the spoon...

Let me list the top 15 players from the Doggies B& F in 2015. Not one of them played on Sunday. Happy to win but let's keep in perspective. It was a crap performance by us.

1. Easton Wood                    268 votes
2. Robert Murphy                  229 votes
3. Marcus Bontempelli           226 votes
4. Luke Dahlhaus                  223 vote
5. Matthew Boyd                   217 votes
6. Jason Johannisen              198 votes
7. Jake Stringer                    193 votes
8. Jack Macrae                      192 votes
9. Mitch Wallis                       189 votes
10. Liam Picken                     182 votes

11. Tory Dickson                   164 votes
12. Dale Morris                      138 votes
13. Stewart Crameri             113 votes
14. Lachie  Hunter                94 votes
15. Michael Talia                   87 votes

• Like 1

you know you've been a Dees fan for a while when I had to scan the article for sarcasm. Hmm, not written by Titus O'reilly...  it seems to be a serious article actually saying we could get around 15 wins.  positive press!  go Dees!

everything would have to go right for us to do that. Dogs had an easy draw and the planets aligned for them. its nice to be a position to even dream about this rather than go kinto the season dreading most games

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:
1 hour ago, Gorgoroth said:

stupid double post!

Early wins could give these kids great belief and momentum. 

Honourable losses are just that losses = zero points

we need a couple of bolters. I like Harmes and we need to find the most efficient position for Kennedy '87 was all about momentum, but inlike The Dogs we can win on The 'G

the Dogs play Etihad toy ground...

Can someone explain to me why the above happens?

all I was trying to do was answer Gorgorth at the top and all of the stuff underneath pops up and nothing I can do gets rid of it.

The only remedy seems to be to post it and then later delete the lot.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Let me list the top 15 players from the Doggies B& F in 2015. Not one of them played on Sunday. Happy to win but let's keep in perspective. It was a crap performance by us.

seriously was ONE positive thread too much to ask?

• Like 4

Had to laugh when i read this comment below the article from a Kosta. I can only assume Kosta is a regular Demonland poster:

Gawn overtake Goldstein? Melb make finals? What a joke.

They were getting smashed by Port for half the game until they ran out of legs because they capped their interchange to 90 and Melbourne went all out and had 50 more interchanges. Yes, 50. Pathetic.

Then they got smashed for 3 quarters against a Dogs side without every single player from their TOP 15 FROM THEIR BNF. Yes, all 15. Pathetic.

Are you getting commission for selling Melbourne memberships or something? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, binman said:

Had to laugh when i read this comment below the article from a Kosta. I can only assume Kosta is a regular Demonland poster:

Gawn overtake Goldstein? Melb make finals? What a joke.

They were getting smashed by Port for half the game until they ran out of legs because they capped their interchange to 90 and Melbourne went all out and had 50 more interchanges. Yes, 50. Pathetic.

Then they got smashed for 3 quarters against a Dogs side without every single player from their TOP 15 FROM THEIR BNF. Yes, all 15. Pathetic.

Are you getting commission for selling Melbourne memberships or something? 

Seriously that must be a demonland poster. No non-MFC supporter would be aware of that information. Info from either game, yes, but both? No

23 minutes ago, Curry & Beer said:

seriously was ONE positive thread too much to ask?

Well... quite frankly if we cant start to lift ourselves up the ladder this year then we never will again.  So like a farmer who's sown his crop and put into affect all that can be to achieve a successful outcome  I am going to expect that we will achieve one.  Yes , shlt can happen but until it does, if it does, I m going to remain fairly optimistic about this year.

We've got some decent talent yet to return, yet to debut even. We havent got THE list yet but certainly the backbone of one. I rate our list better than quite a few teams and I unlike some think this years fixture isnt too bad in the first half. 

In short...I likeour chances now.  Makes a change

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Curry & Beer said:

Seriously that must be a demonland poster. No non-MFC supporter would be aware of that information. Info from either game, yes, but both? No

What's also funny is i posted that without seeing Jnrmacs post above listing the 15 doggie players (i promise)

23 minutes ago, Curry & Beer said:

Some people pay attention to teams other than their own - many supporters from other clubs who post on forums like BigFooty would've known those stats, it's not really secretive Demonland-only info.

The answer is Injuries Injuries and Injuries. 

There are real positive signs already from NAB games that there is definite improvement in ball movement and game plan knowledge and execution.

Our best 22 could do some real damage this year. However, the list is still clearly very light on for depth with talent and experience. We have very few players who can step in and not cause a weakness when anyone in the top 22 drops out. 

We've already got Petracca affected by injury and not likely to make a debut till probably 6 or so weeks into the season.

Dawes, love him or hate him, is still very important to our structure and unfortunately is still evidently our second best tall forward and will be missing for at least the first month. Pedersen is showing in NAB that he goes missing too easily for periods in every game. Frost clearly isn't up to the forward line yet. 

Brayshaw will be touch and go for round one and will take some time to get back to where he would have been if he hadn't missed a month or more with his knee injury.

HL hasn't played yet and will clearly be effected by his late recovery from injury. At his best and injury free I expect him to be top 22. 

Frost might be fit now but is clearly missing match practice after last year's injury and on basis of NAB performances should probably do at least a month at Casey and hopefully will pick up how to play the game. 

Trengove is obviously still coming back from injury so anything up to first 6-10 weeks are probably unlikely. But jeez what a lift to the collective MFC psychy of players, staff and supporters if he makes it back to his best in the course of the rest of the season. 

So I'm not expecting our best 22 to be out there enough this season to give us a Bulldogs surge up the ladder but I am expecting us to play a hell of a lot better footy most of the time. What that means I'm really not sure. We beat Cats at Skilled, Pies Toigs & GWS last year. They will all be better this year. We'll have our work cut out to repeat those wins.

I won't be hysterical if we lose to GWS round 1. I expect it and don't think it will be a sign we haven't improved and are going to have a terrible year again. I still think they are ahead of us. If we do beat them, for me, it will be a sign we are ahead of where I thought we might be and will be deliriously happy and believe anything is possible. 

Edited by It's Time
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Curry & Beer said:

If he is, can someone show me how to use the ignore button...

I reckon Sunday's game against St Kilda might give us a further idea on how we'll go this year. We're playing a full strength side who we haven't beaten since 2006, on their home deck with capped interchanges and full length qtrs I think.

Both NAB wins have come with an asterisk. The Port win we had far more rotations and then the Dogs had 14 of their best 22 out- I'm surprised Goodwin was positive after that game.

The media have certainly never been this positive about us since early 2007.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Juicebox said:

Reading demonland at 3/4Q time on Sunday, you would've thought we'd be fighting it out for the spoon...

Yep, but about now the acid is kicking in and the world has gone red and blue fairyland.

They will improve, like about 12 other sides ,and the ones mid table are the ones they have to match

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jnrmac said:

As often happens against lesser sides, they dragged us down to their level.

I was impressed by the forward defensive pressure turnovers - something we have sorely lacked for years.  Generates enthusiasm as well as goals. 

• Like 1

People keep mentioning all the Bulldog players that were out.

we had ,

Hogan

Dawes

Lumumba

Brayshaw

Petracca

Stretch

Melksham

jkh

Trengove

Neal bullen 

Spencer