Saturday Talking Point: Game Day 27/2/16

Whispering_Jack

8 minutes ago, tappysquads said:

Didn't think we really played well, or moved the ball forward well..... We simply won/dominated because we won the contested ball for large periods of the day..... And I couldn't be happier! Tough, ruthless aggressive footy. So many individuals were good. Add Jones, Vince, Petracca, Lumumba, Trengrove, Brayshaw, Dawes (?????) to competition for spots and cut 4 from today's performance down to 22 and it's genuinely tight for spots. Exciting

oh yeh, Gawn is All Australian if he gets through he year

We won every important stat (except tackles) against a near full-strength team predicted for the top eight! It will be an enjoyable season!

Lots of positives to come out of that.

I wish someone would have asked Goodwin in the post match presser about the discrepancy in interchanges, though.  Someone on here earlier suggested that it might have been because it was our first match and we lost a player early, which is a plausible reason for it.  So too might be the fact that we just want to conserve our players' energy in general for zero points matches.  But if our numbers are high again next week I might raise an eyebrow; I don't like the idea of round 1 being the first time we attempt to manage our interchanges properly, so I'd really like to see us get a dress rehearsal or two in for this before the season begins.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I wish someone would have asked Goodwin in the post match presser about the discrepancy in interchanges, though.  Someone on here earlier suggested that it might have been because it was our first match and we lost a player early, which is a plausible reason for it.  So too might be the fact that we just want to conserve our players' energy in general for zero points matches.  But if our numbers are high again next week I might raise an eyebrow; I don't like the idea of round 1 being the first time we attempt to manage our interchanges properly, so I'd really like to see us get a dress rehearsal or two in for this before the season begins.

I'm not to concerned about limiting the rotations.

It's like having shots at goal from outside 50 for 9 points, doesn't exist in the season proper but if the option is there you might as well use it.

11 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I wish someone would have asked Goodwin in the post match presser about the discrepancy in interchanges, though  ...

But if our numbers are high again next week I might raise an eyebrow ...

It's more important at this stage to get some confidence in the boys.

But agree, don't want round 1 to be the first time we try our 90 rotations.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, boydie said:

I'm not to concerned about limiting the rotations.

It's like having shots at goal from outside 50 for 9 points, doesn't exist in the season proper but if the option is there you might as well use it.

It's a new rule, and the pre-season is the only chance we'll get to practice and get it right.  It's probably no big deal, I just thought it seems prudent to try and get it right before it becomes essential to do it.  It wasn't intended as a criticism, just something I was interested in.

I was also really just annoyed that nobody bothered to ask him about it when it probably impacted the result of the game.  People gripe about coaches always talking in predictable spin and cliche, but nobody ever seems to criticise the media for asking boring, shallow questions.  It'd be nice if footy journalists would adopt a bit of an analytical touch to their work, but I suppose that's not going to happen any time soon.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, praha said:

Matt Jones has been among our best.

*runs and hides*

matt jones had a good game. i don't need to hide, neither do you!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

It seems our main deficiency now may be tall defenders. Frost has to play down back - can't see his value as a forward/ruck without a lot more development

Didn't see the game live, but just watched the replay, and totally agree. Our key backs didn't play well, and none of them looked comfortable with the ball in the air or on the ground. They were fortunate that we were so dominant around the clearances in the 2nd half. When Port did attack in the 2nd half, I thought that Wagner was probably our best defender.

As for Frost, he's not a forward, and never will be. Can't ever imagine him kicking more than 15 goals in a season, whereas Pedersen could kick 25 plus. Frost has to play as a backman but with Dunn, Garland and T. Mac, there is no obvious position, unless one gets injured or dropped for form. Just on that, T. Mac is starting to look like Alisitair Nicholson. He really isn't a smart footballer.

But a lot to be happy about with the game. Gawn and Viney playing at a level that many of us are expecting. If VDB, Kent and Salem can remain fit all season, that would be a huge plus. We need some goals from VDB and Kent, and run off the backline by Salem. Oliver looked at home at the clearances.

Downside was our backline. Didn't see much run or creativity. Jetta got a bit of it but isn't damaging. If VDB, Oliver and Petracca can play some midfield minutes rotating through half forward, I'd like to see Vince and Brayshaw rotating off half back and midfield. We need some class down back to go along with Salem.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I was also really just annoyed that nobody bothered to ask him about it when it probably impacted the result of the game. 

Not that much. The damage was done by 3/4 time, it's the last quarter that you'd expect to see a difference. In any case, there was an 8 man bench, so situation was unique in itself, and with that amount of resting going on, not sure Port were all that disadvantaged.

39 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I'm pretty sure the last two games In the NAB are cut to 90 rotations.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nasher said:

They only had 25 players so it was 25 v 25 really. But yeah I'm sure the plan for today was to give everyone a good run of game time and I hope they cut back next week maybe to around 100 and then for the final game go with the 90 cap.

• Like 1

Hope we haven't peaked too early !!!!!   

Premature peaking ???? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ILLDieADemon said:

I'm pretty sure the last two games In the NAB are cut to 90 rotations.

But Port were playing their 2nd NAB cup game, so that can't be right. Doubt that you would have different rules for both teams. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mo64 said:

But Port were playing their 2nd NAB cup game, so that can't be right. Doubt that you would have different rules for both teams. 

This is the AFL of course there could be different rules.

• Like 2

It does seem a bit odd you get unlimited rotations in the preseason.

Good win today but only 'good'. Surprised how easily we overran them in the 2nd half. Midfield was very good given who was out, forward pressure was good, leaving where we left off in R23. I'm really excited about the potential of Kent, VB and Harmes inside 50 this season. Hogan had a solid game without dominating. Pedo did his job like the first half of last season. Remains to be seen if Dunn/Garland/McDonald is a good enough defensive combination. Jetta was probably our best defender today. Viney and Gawn virtually won us the game oh and some of the frees helped. Oliver seems to love the contest (that should not have been a dangerous tackle!). Kennedy was decent in his first outing, Bugg was ok. Garlett looked disinterested at times but popped up for 3 goals as we've become accustomed to.

Pretty used to one good win in the preseason. Definitely can't get overexcited, but by all means if we play as well in our next 2 

• Like 1