Compromised draw

ickey_11

Again, today's news again shows how compromised the draw is.

5 teams play Essendon twice, - GCS, Geelong, Richmond, Carlton, and St Kilda.

Melbourne only plays Essendon in round 2 and Carlton in the second last round.

The Saints get both to play both Essendon and Carlton twice.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ickey_11 said:

Again, today's news again shows how compromised the draw is.

5 teams play Essendon twice, - GCS, Geelong, Richmond, Carlton, and St Kilda.

Melbourne only plays Essendon in round 2 and Carlton in the second last round.

The Saints get both to play both Essendon and Carlton twice.

Not too much can be done about this... just the luck of the draw. Knowing Melbourne, though, if we played them twice we'd lose to them twice.

• Like 1

I'll take an easy win every day of the week But I've really had enough of looking for easy options , such as high drafts picks and the draw.

We need to play the best clubs and beat them, then we can say we are improving. I'll get far more satisfaction beating  top 8 teams,than those cellar dwellars. If I ever get to see Hoges kick 8 against the dawks, I;ll be over the moon.

As for the EFC, they can rot in hell 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drdrake said:

Who cares, you play the teams you have to play win more than you lose.  We need to live in the ross lyon bubble, control what you can and ignore what you cant

Exactly Dr.

2 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I'm just glad we're not playing them in Round 1. Imagine the media all over the place at that game. I think whoever Essendon plays in that game will be under enormous pressure...and we don't seem to cope too well with going into games as favourite in the first place

GCS  Yes they could be under pressure.

Fancy losing to their seconds side at home for the first game.

The 'draw' (=fixed-ure) is always compromised.   There has been some attempts to improve it the last two seasons but the EssUndone farce makes games v them gifts especially as the season wears on and the add-ons wear out.

Of greater concern to me - you can only play who you are scheduled to play - is the inequity in the prime time scheduling, something that can be addressed were the AFL to have any interest at all in equal opportunity for clubs to raise funds.  EssUndone have been "rewarded" for bringing the game into disrepute with half a dozen or more prime time games in 2016.   This will blow up in the AFL's face and their games will be as unpopular as Carlton's prime time games were in 2015.

And as for ANZAC Day - the club that has shamed Australia's sporting reputation gets to play on our most sacred  day.  A bloody disgrace. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

I'd rather play them in round 10-15, that's when they will be stuffed, early rounds the players will be fresh.

will prob lose the game.

If we can't beat them this season at any stage we haven't developed as a side. We should be lining them up for a royal pantsing.

• Like 1

5 teams play Essendon twice.

Richmond, Geelong were better than us last year. So they are favourites to get in the 8 anyway.

That leaves  GCS Saints and Bluebaggers.

If we are kept out of the 8 by any of those we deserve it.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2016 at 8:15 PM, monoccular said:

The 'draw' (=fixed-ure) is always compromised.   There has been some attempts to improve it the last two seasons but the EssUndone farce makes games v them gifts especially as the season wears on and the add-ons wear out.

Of greater concern to me - you can only play who you are scheduled to play - is the inequity in the prime time scheduling, something that can be addressed were the AFL to have any interest at all in equal opportunity for clubs to raise funds.  EssUndone have been "rewarded" for bringing the game into disrepute with half a dozen or more prime time games in 2016.   This will blow up in the AFL's face and their games will be as unpopular as Carlton's prime time games were in 2015.

And as for ANZAC Day - the club that has shamed Australia's sporting reputation gets to play on our most sacred  day.  A bloody disgrace. 

Yep. Personally I always felt the parallel between sport and war was a little thin anyway, but having Essendon play on ANZAC day after this makes it a complete mockery.

I wonder what the RSL will have to say?

We haven't played Essendon twice in 10 years. In the last 10 years, 9 of these games have been Essendon home games (2010 was a Melbourne home game).

We play home games against interstate sides (the ones where you make no money), Collingwood (the one game where we make money) and two or three other Vic sides (usually Bulldogs and St Kilda).

• Like 3

The dees had a compromised draw in 2015,as usual the club couldn't take avantage of……. however rising up the ladder too quickly could do more harm than good. I beleive no side should be given a weak draw depending on where they finished. The Hawks played top sides twice and still managed to win a flag.

Just now, ENYAW said:

The dees had a compromised draw in 2015,as usual the club couldn't take avantage of……. however rising up the ladder too quickly could do more harm than good. I beleive no side should be given a weak draw depending on where they finished. The Hawks played top sides twice and still managed to win a flag.

enyaw, every draw is compromised and the afl do nothing to try and minimise it in any way. it may as well be drawn up by the tv studio, at least that would be more honest

• Like 1

Daisy cutter any conspiracy theory is better than none. Read in the Herald-Sun recently a Carlton supporter had concerns about Essendon recieving first round draft pick for coming last. Perhaps technical tanking could be used to achieve the required output. What pisses me off is how sides give up when they realise that they can't make the finals and their hidden agenda is to finish as close to last so as to maximize you beaut draft picks. My radical solution is for the bottom six sides from round 16 to round 21 play each other and the team who performs best (wins and percentage) gets the first draft pick,the second team get the 2nd draft pick and so on. To be fair to the remaining clubs in the last round the top side plays the bottom side,second team plays the second last team and so on. The AFL already implemented a radical plan by having a bye in the last round to prevent the fiasco that occured with the Kangas and Freo.

• Like 1

Daisy cutter any conspiracy theory is better than none. Read in the Herald-Sun recently a Carlton supporter had concerns about Essendon recieving first round draft pick for coming last. Perhaps technical tanking could be used to achieve the required output. What pisses me off is how sides give up when they realise that they can't make the finals and their hidden agenda is to finish as close to last so as to maximize you beaut draft picks. My radical solution is for the bottom six sides from round 16 to round 21 play each other and the team who performs best (wins and percentage) gets the first draft pick,the second team get the 2nd draft pick and so on. To be fair to the remaining clubs in the last round the top side plays the bottom side,second team plays the second last team and so on. The AFL already implemented a radical plan by having a bye in the last round to prevent the fiasco that occured with the Kangas and Freo.

enyaw, you should send your solution to the channel 7 executives. don't waste your valuable time with the afl who are more interested in polo (and $$s)