2015 Player Review - # 5 Jimmy Toumpas

Demonland

Re the comments on this being a shallow draft. From what I have read it is 'shallow' after the top 6-10.

So the #10 to #25+ are perceived to be relatively even with very good players available in that range

So 'shallow' doesn't mean 'poor'.

This may result in more 'strategic' trading of picks than in past years as Clubs drop themselves down the pecking order.

Going into the trade/draft with pick 6, 24, 25 and #20 something for Howe, is a strong position to be in.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

Is pick 24 in a shallow draft better or worse than picking up someone at pick 53 in a stronger draft ( two Macs) or a rookie in White and Harmes? There are always diamonds in the rough out there no matter how strong the comp is. I am confident we will get it right again.

Is pick 24 in a shallow draft better or worse than picking up someone at pick 53 in a stronger draft ( two Macs) or a rookie in White and Harmes? There are always diamonds in the rough out there no matter how strong the comp is. I am confident we will get it right again.

Lucas Cook could be had for pick 24, he is tearing it up at Korumburra.

• Like 1

Some players need continuity, he has had none. Another fail by the MFC.

If he is used to catch a bigger fish then so be it. Not sure Port have draft picks to offer with Dixon going there.

Don't trade for another Michie, Newton, Lumumba, Riley. Better to get another Vandenberg from somewhere I reckon.

Vandenberg's aren't made in factories you know

• Like 1

Vandenberg's aren't made in factories you know

are you sure...ours was freshly minted !!

• Like 2

Toumpas is a small player (i.e. not a tall/project type that requires patience), has been around 3 years and still couldn't get a game in a mediocre side. He wasn't even dominating the VFL.

I like the kid, has copped some unjust criticism in his time and hope he does well at his new club but you're kidding yourselves if you think we'd get more than pick 24 for him. I think we'd be lucky to get it.

Ben Kennedy is another name I've heard mooted but he's in a very similar boat to Toumpas. Small player, highly rated junior, struggled massively over 3 seasons. I'd prefer a pick.

We waited too long with Morton a few years back and ended up getting pick 88 for him...

• Like 4

Against all logic, I want to give the Toump one more year.

I'd also give him another year. I just have the hunch that he may surprise us!

• Like 1

Ben Kennedy is another name I've heard mooted but he's in a very similar boat to Toumpas.

Perhaps, but very different situation. At Collingwood, Kennedy is last cab off the midfield rank, while at Melbourne, we're crying out for players like Toumpas, even to the extent of promoting rookies ... but Toumpas still doesn't get a look in.

Also, Kennedy seems to have been very good/consistent at VFL level.

Personally, I'd be happy to give Jimmy T another year. I know he's had 3 already, but he had hips in the first, appendix in the second (he missed a slab of the season across the middle, and couldn't really get up to speed again afterwards), and then there were a few injury hiccups this year as well. Just feel something hasn't quite clicked for him. Of course, it may never click, but you don't get the feeling that you're watching a player who's reached his limits (e.g., Bail, Riley, McKenzie etc.).

• Like 2

Against all logic, I want to give the Toump one more year.

Yep I'd rather him bust with us before possibly starring with someone else.

I can see it now though, we trade him for a meh pick in the 20's, trade that to druggies for Mehlksham, Toumpas becomes a star and the milkman sits out the year, and I'm just sitting here going to Mehlbourne

I have a nagging (MFCSS) feeling that this will come back to bite us quite badly.

He may have deficiencies but he's also had a bad run of luck with injuries/illness and generally getting some continuity.

Missing out on Wines is one thing, but if we are a few years down the track and Toumpas is dominating in another jumper while the player we got in return is languishing or delisted, projectile vomiting is in the pipeline.

• Like 4

Yep I'd rather him bust with us before possibly starring with someone else.

I can see it now though, we trade him for a meh pick in the 20's, trade that to druggies for Mehlksham, Toumpas becomes a star and the milkman sits out the year, and I'm just sitting here going to Mehlbourne

Change spectacles.

I can't get behind HS's paywall but this is the intro: 'MELBOURNE’S wretched run with top draft picks is set to continue, with Jimmy Toumpas being chased by a trade-hungry Port Adelaide'.

Power have shown they are fair traders and play the trade game with goodwill so if Power are doing the chasing we may get a good value trade.

You can try this - http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-trades-melbournes-jimmy-toumpas-chased-by-port-adelaide/story-fnp04d70-1227551774255

As to the deal, if we end up with any second round pick we should all be celebrating.

Melksham's arrival means we will have another wingman/half forward on our list anyway and that pick will hopefully keep Essendon happy.

It then frees up our second round pick for an underachieving GWS tall - Tomlinson, Plowman etc.

And then we still have pick 6 and Howey to negotiate the big fish deal. Not sure how likely that is though.

As the draft this year is considered to be 'the most shallow in years,' wouldn't it be worth holding onto Toump for at least one more year and hopefully he can get some continuity next season and really start to perform after showing some glimpses this year.

If not, as long as he doesn't have an absolute stinker, he should still be worth a late second rounder or more likely an early third round pick.

If he wants to leave maybe we could look for a future second rounder (although not Port Adelaide's as surely they'll shoot up the ladder next season), possibly St Kilda's in this rumoured 3 way trade?

• Like 1