Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Redden

dazzledavey36

We currently run:

- 9th for contested possessions

- 18th for centre clearances

- 9th for stoppages

- 14th for clearances

The addition of Redden would - theoretically - assist the improvement of all of those.

I'm constantly amazed by posts like these.

If you really are incapable of watching Melbourne games and drawing your own conclusions as to what contributes to some of these ridiculous, out of context and almost pointless (in this case) stats, then this will be my last post to you.

Sometimes I think stats without context are for supporters who can't quite workout what goes on during game day.

First of all, as an example, I'd love for you to tell me why you believe Adelaide and North Melbourne's centre clearance counts are at the top of that list? I'd say it'd have something to do with both teams having the best tap to advantage ruckmen in the league. There's also a strange anomaly with Carlton sitting second on that centre clearance table yet they're below is on the ladder.

I'm not going to continue because to me, all you've displayed is a number of ambiguous and misleading numbers without context to try and prove why we should trade for another one-dimensional contested ball winning player to a midfield group who is already too one-dimensional.

I don't need 'stats' to see that.

Here's an article for you and anyone else who consistently present these pointless tables of ambiguous numbers:

Contested possession not critical: Hopkins

• Like 1

I think it more points to the lack of depth that we have around the ball. If Jones, Vince or Viney don't win it, we don't have anyone else to rotate through.

Agreed we need skill, but we also need ball winners. Redden is a ball winner.

If you can't see that he would immediately improve our side, then...well, clearly we have different ideas about areas we need to have clear improvement in.

Mine would be:

- ball winners

- skill

- run and carry

- multidimensional tall options

Redden would improve the first, Bennell for the middle two, plus Lynch and Tomlinson for the latter.

If we could add all four of those players this offseason I'd be pleased.

In saying all of that, the only real positive I see out of gaining a player like Redden would be to free up someone like Bernie to either play on a wing or behind the ball on a half back flank so that we can make more use of that beautiful kick he has. The fact that he started in the square so often this year meant we weren't able to utilise that kick of his as effectively as we could. He is definitely top 3 in kicking accuracy at our club, but being under so much pressure in the middle meant he'd bang it on the boot far too often and for little return.

Look at me change my tune.

But seriously, if that was the thought behind this hypothetical move, it would at least make more sense.

I want Bernie out of the starting four by the start of next year.

You make a really good point. As much as we desperately need some additional midfield rotations, we equally need some class and polish running off half back and wing. I've always thought that playing a spare man in the backline is pointless unless they were creative. We tried it this year with Salem who unfortunately has been injured. I'd love to see the likes of Salem, Brayshaw and Vince as our half backs, but we need some quality mids to replenish that area. The acquisition of Redden would help.

Tyson has a long way to go before supporters start claiming him second best mid. I'm assuming you're basing that on last year's form? This year he's been bog ordinary in most games. Injury or not.

Viney is consistently improving year upon year and this year has been a breakout of some sorts.

Whilst I agree with you in that we're short on players with an ability to rotate through the midfield, it's also important we get the right mix of players in there with the right balance of attributes.

Redden is a contested ball winning bull who is fairly one-dimensional. We have many of those. What we lack as 'Brayshaw self' alludes to is speed, class or skill within that midfield group. And they should all be pre-requisites for midfielders we target this off-season.

Look at the gaping holes in our list. Look at the areas we struggle so badly in. We're crying out for dynamic and multi-attributed midfielders. Not more contested ball winning kings with little else to offer. Redden is exactly that.

In saying all of that, the only real positive I see out of gaining a player like Redden would be to free up someone like Bernie to either play on a wing or behind the ball on a half back flank so that we can make more use of that beautiful kick he has. The fact that he started in the square so often this year meant we weren't able to utilise that kick of his as effectively as we could. He is definitely top 3 in kicking accuracy at our club, but being under so much pressure in the middle meant he'd bang it on the boot far too often and for little return.

Look at me change my tune.

But seriously, if that was the thought behind this hypothetical move, it would at least make more sense.

I want Bernie out of the starting four by the start of next year.

9 minutes is a long time in football...

Jones, Vince, Tyson, Viney, Brayshaw, Vanders, ..., ..., ..., and ....

These players I have faith in to play strong footy with dare and confidence and skill in a midfield rotation of 10 in 2016.

We are in need of more than this 'star' player with all the requisites you and Brayshaw Self espouse. We need a couple of Redden's really...

There is 3 ways you can score in a game of football.

From a kick out.

from a turnover

and from winning a stoppage/clearance.

The more stoppage/clearances you win the more chance you have of scoring.

Redden would help us with winning more stoppages/clearances.

Perhaps, but if you're Melbourne, the more stoppage/clearances will lead to more turnovers, which will lead to the opposition scoring more :P

Ever the pessimist.

• Like 3

I'd taken Redden in a heart beat. I love his toughness around the contest.

Contrary to what people think about Toumpas, he has AFL currency and the Lions would jump at a straight swap. We should try and arrange something along these lines.

Straight swap for Howe

Yes !!!

Actually.......that could work.

Brisbane need some marketability in the Queensland market. Howie taking a screamer every second week guarantees them at least a small amount of 'feel-good' time on the news each week. Arguably worth much more to Brisbane than to us. We've had 10 years of pox with some amazing screamers. Marks have got us as many members as they're going to.

• Like 2

I must confess I dont know much about Redden, have never really noticed him. I just checked his stats and he is averaging 23.4 disposals and 6 tacklets a game.... that would put him 3rd and 1st at the MFC in those categorizes.

Hes 190 cm.and 24 years old. Where do we sign up?

After his third year it looked like Redden was going to become one of the competition's elite midfielders. He was among exalted company in the top 10 rankings for the year coming in at no. 7 alongside the likes of Ablett, Swan, Pendlebury, Rockliff, Thompson, Mitchell and Selwood. I'm not completely sure what happened, but he's trailed off in most years since, although his 2012 was still good.

I wouldn't be averse to having him, as one wouldn't knock back any player that makes us better, however, I don't see him as overly important.

I've got a bit of a novel idea, why don't we develop from within ? Notwithstanding his disappointing year I do believe Tyson will become a very good player and along with Viney, vanDemon, Salem, Petracca, Trengove, Brayshaw, Stretch, Kent, Harmes and ANB we have a reasonable squad/rotation to develop.

I'd love a ready made gun to join the group, but I'm not sure Redden has the skill set to differentiate from what we've got.

After his third year it looked like Redden was going to become one of the competition's elite midfielders. He was among exalted company in the top 10 rankings for the year coming in at no. 7 alongside the likes of Ablett, Swan, Pendlebury, Rockliff, Thompson, Mitchell and Selwood. I'm not completely sure what happened, but he's trailed off in most years since, although his 2012 was still good.

I wouldn't be averse to having him, as one wouldn't knock back any player that makes us better, however, I don't see him as overly important.

I've got a bit of a novel idea, why don't we develop from within ? Notwithstanding his disappointing year I do believe Tyson will become a very good player and along with Viney, Salem, Petracca, Trengove, Brayshaw, Stretch, Kent, Harmes and ANB we have a reasonable squad/rotation to develop.

I'd love a ready made gun to join the group, but I'm not sure Redden has the skill set to differentiate from what we've got.

I agree with this. He hasn't been as influential the last few years now. I'm not against getting him at the right price, but the priorities should probably lie elsewhere.

9 minutes is a long time in football...

Jones, Vince, Tyson, Viney, Brayshaw, Vanders, ..., ..., ..., and ....

These players I have faith in to play strong footy with dare and confidence and skill in a midfield rotation of 10 in 2016.

We are in need of more than this 'star' player with all the requisites you and Brayshaw Self espouse. We need a couple of Redden's really...

I disagree with your notion of 'star' player.

I am talking about a good quality mid with a skill set that will compliment our midfield group.

A player who's stronger attributes are speed/run and carry, kicking skills and decision making.

Of course a star player would help. But I'm talking about someone like Yarran, Kade Kolodjashnij, Josh Kelly etc.

You're basically saying you'd like to do what North Melbourne had done. Recruit an entire midfield brigade of Contested ball winners, all one-paced and all limited in skill level?

They've since added Dal Santo and Higgens and we need to do the same to get the balance right.

A big part of why we can't seem to move the ball on with skill, dare and run is because we don't have the cattle.

Saying we need a couple of Reddens is ignoring the needs of our list and midfield group.

• Like 1

I disagree with your notion of 'star' player.

I am talking about a good quality mid with a skill set that will compliment our midfield group.

A player who's stronger attributes are speed/run and carry, kicking skills and decision making.

Of course a star player would help. But I'm talking about someone like Yarran, Kade Kolodjashnij, Josh Kelly etc.

You're basically saying you'd like to do what North Melbourne had done. Recruit an entire midfield brigade of Contested ball winners, all one-paced and all limited in skill level?

They've since added Dal Santo and Higgens and we need to do the same to get the balance right.

A big part of why we can't seem to move the ball on with skill, dare and run is because we don't have the cattle.

Saying we need a couple of Reddens is ignoring the needs of our list and midfield group.

NM were far more developed in the midfield before they went and bought their class.

To say that we should be ignoring the Redden's of this world to look for these skill-dare-run players is ignoring the state of that midfield.

Jones Vince Tyson Viney Brayshaw Vanders

Not enough of everything there. Throw in Petracca and develop the promising players all you like, but 2016 is going to a lot like 2015 unless we get a deeper, more talented midfield.

Talking past each other - you don't think I would ignore the need for a skill-dare-run mid and you wouldn't pass up the chance to get Redden for the right price...

I think it more points to the lack of depth that we have around the ball. If Jones, Vince or Viney don't win it, we don't have anyone else to rotate through.

Agreed we need skill, but we also need ball winners. Redden is a ball winner.

If you can't see that he would immediately improve our side, then...well, clearly we have different ideas about areas we need to have clear improvement in.

Mine would be:

- ball winners

- skill

- run and carry

- multidimensional tall options

Redden would improve the first, Bennell for the middle two, plus Lynch and Tomlinson for the latter.

If we could add all four of those players this offseason I'd be pleased.

I think its also shows we are young, & Re mids who will carry the mids mantle forward. so the stats would be more accurate not for list management, but for gameday controls.

we need to look into the crystal ball, at the players we have, that will be here after the likes of bernie, crossy, & even jones, to see what we need now from the draft. we should look at those on our list who are under 27yrs at this time.

• 2 weeks later...