Should Demonland embrace the Women's Game?

Bigred

It will be the last exhibition game. National competition in 2017. The real question is whether Melbourne will be one of the Victorian teams to have a license. There's been no public word as yet but plenty of rumblings that Brisbane, West Coast and Adelaide will all have the first license opportunities in their respective states.

A good point Goodvibes.

It would be (in my biased opinion) a miscarriage of justice if we didn't get a license given our commitment to the women's game and women's health eg 'pink' games, exhibition games and exposure/promotion for quite a number of years. Not to mention all the financially disadvantageous, Mother's Day games we endured when there was a 'Women's' round.

It would be quite unfair if the license was a 'free kick' to a 'johnny come lately team', who happens to have deep pockets, ready to opportunistically pounce after the groundbreaking work is done!

MFC were the first to champion the causes and have shown the on-field team to be successful so have earnt the right. It could help to substantially grow our membership base which would certainly help the AFL's equalisation cause.

The people I know (players and coaches) that have been involved in the program been pretty consistent in the view that we've been more committed to the concept and provided more resources for the players than the Bullies. I'm proud of this. Just not sure it assures us a license or whether we can justify the expense. The make-up of the teams (player-wise) will be completely different in 2017.

It will be the last exhibition game. National competition in 2017. The real question is whether Melbourne will be one of the Victorian teams to have a license. There's been no public word as yet but plenty of rumblings that Brisbane, West Coast and Adelaide will all have the first license opportunities in their respective states.

If there is going to be a Brisbane team, West Coast team and an Adelaide one surely there will be a Melbourne side.

I hope the women's league works and hope our Club is a big part of it

• Like 3

The people I know (players and coaches) that have been involved in the program been pretty consistent in the view that we've been more committed to the concept and provided more resources for the players than the Bullies. I'm proud of this. Just not sure it assures us a license or whether we can justify the expense. The make-up of the teams (player-wise) will be completely different in 2017.

That is my fear; that the license goes to a financially powerful club that has put nothing into it, comes along, gets a free kick which just makes it more financially powerful. Rich get richer, poor get poorer!.

If the license goes to a so-called power club what is the incentive to clubs like us to be creative and generate opportunities. We do the groundwork, others get the spoils!

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

From lots of experiences playing football and also heading out on Saturday nights over the years I've become very close with majority of the players from Both teams including girls from out of Melbourne and they have exactly the same if not more passion than the men. I really hope as a fellow lady that a women's league is started. I know myself that the skills and the amount of talent is limited and maybe I like it more than others because most are my friends but I really think this would create more jobs for women that want to coach and find it hard in a male industry and I think the girls have a right to play at the highest level. A game before the men's is acceptable I believe. Don't hate just sticking up for my friends and giving my opinion.

• Like 7

From lots of experiences playing football and also heading out on Saturday nights over the years I've become very close with majority of the players from Both teams including girls from out of Melbourne and they have exactly the same if not more passion than the men. I really hope as a fellow lady that a women's league is started. I know myself that the skills and the amount of talent is limited and maybe I like it more than others because most are my friends but I really think this would create more jobs for women that want to coach and find it hard in a male industry and I think the girls have a right to play at the highest level. A game before the men's is acceptable I believe. Don't hate just sticking up for my friends and giving my opinion.

Don't know about the limited skills A35, looked to me like the skills were pretty good and will certainly improve. I like that the women's game is more free flowing than the men's, less of a keepings-off style. Leads to better viewing and a better contest IMO.

Don't know about the limited skills A35, looked to me like the skills were pretty good and will certainly improve. I like that the women's game is more free flowing than the men's, less of a keepings-off style. Leads to better viewing and a better contest IMO.

Oh no don't get me wrong their skills are fantastic but limited as in there is not enough talent to make 18 teams like men. As years go on and more concentrate on footy the more skills will be natural to women. Not taking away skills from women as I'm a woman that has put a lot of time into footy since I was little and involved in coaching in the vfl Edited by armstrong35

The game wont get much TV time and not more than a few hundred people will attend the matches.

Without financial support from TV or crowds the game will never be more than a novelty.

I for one have no interest seeing woman play AFL. I have limited time now as it is to watch the men's game

• Like 1

The game wont get much TV time and not more than a few hundred people will attend the matches.

Without financial support from TV or crowds the game will never be more than a novelty.

I for one have no interest seeing woman play AFL. I have limited time now as it is to watch the men's game

I agree. We all know women don't watch TV, and there's no way men will ever watch a woman playing a MAN's game!

Agreed on the attendance as well. As previously stated, men just won't go, and all the good moral men wouldn't allow their women to go outside and attend anyway. They need to be in the kitchen making sandwiches, not on the field kicking goals.

There will be no financial support because as we established, women don't watch TV and advertisers never target them ever. Their smaller brains simply do not allow them to make purchasing decisions, and they must be closely monitored.

And of course, your final point is probably the most important. Since the prospect of watching women play AFL does not appeal directly to you, the whole idea must of course be shelved immediately.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Like 3

I agree. We all know women don't watch TV, and there's no way men will ever watch a woman playing a MAN's game!

Agreed on the attendance as well. As previously stated, men just won't go, and all the good moral men wouldn't allow their women to go outside and attend anyway. They need to be in the kitchen making sandwiches, not on the field kicking goals.

There will be no financial support because as we established, women don't watch TV and advertisers never target them ever. Their smaller brains simply do not allow them to make purchasing decisions, and they must be closely monitored.

And of course, your final point is probably the most important. Since the prospect of watching women play AFL does not appeal directly to you, the whole idea must of course be shelved immediately.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

I'm sorry for bursting you bubble. You can continue living in your fantasy land thinking that there is a market for a woman's game.

Have a look at the woman's soccer league.

Average attendance is the the hundreds and the only reason they are shown on TV is due to the ABC's equal representation policy.

I'm all for woman playing whatever sport they want but I'm not deluded with thinking that there's is a viable market out there for them.

• Like 1

I'm sorry for bursting you bubble. You can continue living in your fantasy land thinking that there is a market for a woman's game.

Average attendance is the the hundreds and the only reason they are shown on TV is due to the ABC's equal representation policy.

I'm all for woman playing whatever sport they want but I'm not deluded with thinking that there's is a viable market out there for them.

This of course means we shouldn't try.

Maybe for you it's a novelty but it isn't to the close to 300,000 women playing footy at the moment. There's national comps for women's basketball, netball, soccer, cricket and probably more so why not footy?

• Like 3

Are some missing the point here? Women's footy is in a developmental stage. Support it! Embrace it so that more more resources and money are tipped into it. Until recent years the corporate/financial/media support for netball has been [censored] weak. The Matildas are struggling for a quid. Unless women have financial support they will not be able to participate. Without widespread participation no women's sport will flourish.

So yes - get behind it!

• Like 6

Further to the above. Is there a poster available of that magnificent shot of Tayla Harris kicking? There should be. And, I'd pay for an autographed one.

Dead right BBO. That poster would probably out sell most others. Do yourself a favour and go watch Darebin Falcons one Sunday, Daisy, Tayla and Aastra from the Bulldogs plus a few others put on a terrific show and you would be surprised just how many get along to the games. I realise that its a fair hike but get your chauffeur to drive and there are plenty of wines to be had. Great bunch of people.

• Like 1

Are some missing the point here? Women's footy is in a developmental stage. Support it! Embrace it so that more more resources and money are tipped into it. Until recent years the corporate/financial/media support for netball has been [censored] weak. The Matildas are struggling for a quid. Unless women have financial support they will not be able to participate. Without widespread participation no women's sport will flourish.

So yes - get behind it!

I think you nailed it, the fact of the matter is it is in the very early stages. A while ago I had an argument with a friend of mine (female) who was talking about the lack of a woman's competition and that the reason was because the media networks/sponsors won't give it coverage. I pointed out to her that it's a chicken or the egg argument, for there to be media coverage and sponsorship there has to be a market and people to market to so the tv channels and papers aren't wasting their reporting on something no ones supporting.

I think this years game provided the early platforms for support; the game rated quite well, the standard has improved and I think Melbourne in particular are making important inroads to help the game. Next year needs to be the launchpad for the proper competition, there should be two games shown live (Melbourne v Bulldogs again) us Melbourne fans should really try to get around the ladies team.

On the team licenses, while I would really like us to own the Victorian woman's team (or one if there are multiples) I do wonder about the cost vs benefit. Really the AFL should actually subsidise the first couple of years to grow the game without the clubs being constrained. One possible idea is that we go into a partnership with the Bulldogs to have the team costs divided between the two, just spitballing they could calls themselves the Western Melbourne Hell Hounds! :P If they play them as curtain raisers again split the games up between the two clubs.

Edited by Pates

Sadly true. Our Women's league is world class (as opposed to the A-League which is ranked around 100 in the world) and deserves far more support than it gets. The players are paid below minimum wage and nobody ever shows up to the games and this is entirely due to the prevalent bias against women's sport. It sucks, but I don't see it changing any time soon.

• 3 weeks later...

When Neeld was coach I would definitely support a women side,after round one the season was over for the men's team.The women's side would guarantee us a top two finish in a two team comp. The mens team could be used a a backup there standard was on par with the women. At demonland we must have a distraction when things go bad. I did watch a female soccer match years ago, there tops were painted on,definitely no torn tops I suppose. More womens teams should be encouraged perhaps they can be included in the salary cap. Lets destroy a quality show by introducing equality.

• Like 1

When Neeld was coach I would definitely support a women side,after round one the season was over for the men's team.The women's side would guarantee us a top two finish in a two team comp. The mens team could be used a a backup there standard was on par with the women. At demonland we must have a distraction when things go bad. I did watch a female soccer match years ago, there tops were painted on,definitely no torn tops I suppose. More womens teams should be encouraged perhaps they can be included in the salary cap. Lets destroy a quality show by introducing equality.

Can't argue with this!

We should fully support women's sport including Aussie Rules. At Olympic Games and World Champs women's sport is fantastic. Over 60 years we have seen Australian women outperform Australian men . Swimmers, athletes, hockey players , basketball. Women's sport has only been held back by the power elites of men across all sport and male dominated media. For Christ sake women make up half the population. They deserve equal coverage. It's a sleeping giant but when people wake up there will be no stopping women's sport. The interesting thing is that at Olympic level they are regarded as equals despite the lower funding and support structure . I recognise my own bias as I love women in every way. i see them as superior in every way. I would love a world ruled by women. Angela Merkel is my pin up girl.

We should fully support women's sport including Aussie Rules. At Olympic Games and World Champs women's sport is fantastic. Over 60 years we have seen Australian women outperform Australian men . Swimmers, athletes, hockey players , basketball. Women's sport has only been held back by the power elites of men across all sport and male dominated media. For Christ sake women make up half the population. They deserve equal coverage. It's a sleeping giant but when people wake up there will be no stopping women's sport. The interesting thing is that at Olympic level they are regarded as equals despite the lower funding and support structure . I recognise my own bias as I love women in every way. i see them as superior in every way. I would love a world ruled by women. Angela Merkel is my pin up girl.

Steady on Ernest-"Angela Merkel is my pin up girl".

I'm told she'll let anyone in.She could be more careful in her selection,and so could you.

• Like 1

There is no more important inclusion in the Demonland banner for 2016 then Daisy if you ask me, she's right up there with Jesse and Chunk as the most marketable and passionate demons out there.

• Like 1