Changes v Bulldogs

bandicoot

Maybe he had the flu/illness as other posters have used to excuse their favourite players having a quiet game on the weekend...I thought Michie was ok early and I would give him another go.

Toumpas played well at Etihad against St Kilda and I would bring him in.

by all accounts Toumpas had a shocker in the VFL, i dont want him in if he cant even put up a good performance for Casey

Got to bring Salem in. He's too good to be playing VFL. Wouldn't bring anyone else in from Casey.

Not sure who the unlucky out would be. Grimes and Lumumba aren't in great form but I feel we may as well persist with Grimes for another week. Can't see Roos dropping Lumumba even if he's struggling. Matt Jones did his job on the weekend and will have Murphy this week.

As much as I love him would a week off to play some fringe and kids instead hurt Crossy? Probably silly against his old side so that's a non starter.

ANB and Harmes are going well. Keep them. Michie, well he just needs to play at this stage.

I really think resting Brayshaw might be the smartest move. Should give him a freshen up to take on Carlton, then go across and serve it up to Freo and finally the GWS game.

• Like 1

Based on the VFL reports, the only two players who appear in line for a recall are Bail and Salem.

Both would be good prospects against the Dogs, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them both in.

At a guess, I'd say Michie, Grimes and Harmes are the most in danger of being dropped, though I'm not sure what the exact permutations will end up being.

Agree with your sentiment, but the Saints thriving is the biggest misconception in football at the moment. Media beating up how well they are going relative to Melbourne and other clubs and how they are ahead of expectations. Saints have beaten us twice, but they are hardly thriving and are in a worse position with their list than we are currently. Had we had a legend like Nick Riedwolt who can provide such a presence and win games off his own back we would easily have 8-9 wins.

Media beat up in the worst of ways, St Kildas form is vastly over rated.

Agree entirely.

The Bulldogs are on fire at the moment, especially with their manic, lightening-fast forward spread and a small-ish forward line that is quick and skillful. Therefore, we need players who can run both ways and especially are prepared to spread defensively when there is a turnover (and we are still one of the worst turnover teams in the AFL).

Players like Grimes, Slaem, Dunn, N Jones, Viney, M Jones, Cross, and Brayshaw do this naturally so they must stay in.

We will miss VandenBurg who excels in defensive spread, as does Kent.

Harmes and Neal-Bullen look OK but I am not too sure about their defensive spread.

Players like Lamumba, Garlett, Michie, and Howe are really suspect in this area, although Howe will sprint back if the ball is in the air.

I reckon Salem will come in for Vanders.

And although I am fairly sure that Bail's AFL career is finished they may bring him in because his defensive running is outstanding. So Michie our for Bail.

Both Michie and m jones are not the future of the club. I doubt michie will get a contract next year and jones will play out his career at Casey.

Vandenberg, Salem, toumpas and fitz are all preferable over these 2.

Vandenberg & Salem are no brainers.. Toump is no good & Fitz is too unpredictable..

If you actually watched Michie on Sunday you would of noted it was probably his best game for the club & the run we got from Matt Jones was crucial in 2nd & 3rd quarters, M Jones kicking was better than Watts on the day and Michie's kick to Brayshaw was perfectly weighted..

Edited by Coup Cooper
  • Like 1

Vandenberg & Salem are no brainers.. Toump is no good & Fitz is too unpredictable..

If you actually watched Michie on Sunday you would of noted it was probably his best game for the club & the run we got from Matt Jones was crucial in 2nd & 3rd quarters, M Jones kicking was better than Watts on the day and Michie's kick to Brayshaw was perfectly weighted..

I thought his sprint back to touch the ball in the goal square was pretty good. Must have passed 6 of our players in doing so. It was a terrific effort particularly as we were pretty much cooked.

• Like 1

in. Salem

out. Harmes

jetta Mcdonald dunn

salem garland grimes

lamumba viney m.jones

brayshaw dawes vince

gartlett hogan howe

gawn tyson n.jones

cross nealbullen michie sub.WATTS

Id have Watts in any position on the ground over Grimes.
  • Like 3

Based on the VFL reports, the only two players who appear in line for a recall are Bail and Salem.

Both would be good prospects against the Dogs, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them both in.

At a guess, I'd say Michie, Grimes and Harmes are the most in danger of being dropped, though I'm not sure what the exact permutations will end up being.

Agree entirely.

Pig Dog's form recently could warrant a recall, but for him that form doesn't translate when he plays seniors. JKH also played well, but needs more consistency at that level before we even think about bringing him in. Has been sorely disappointing this year when fit.

Salem to come in for Michie is my bet.

In - Salem

Out - One of Michie, Harmes or ANB

Wouldn't be surprised if Bail is recalled given he played ok in the rd 8 win over Dogs and was BOG for Casey last week.

Is it just me or does anyone else have a good feeling this week.

This Etihad drought has to end eventually. What pro sporting team in the world apart from us, has not won a game at a venue in their own town for 8 years?

Thought it interesting to note how many changes (7) there are between our match last week vs the win over the doggies 11 weeks ago:

OUT: Vandenburg, Toumpas, Newton, Pedersen, Fitzpatrick, Riley, Bail
IN: Viney, Tyson, Dawes, Michie, Gawn, Jetta, Harmes, Neal-Bullen

Of course many of these changes are to do with who is/was injured at the time, but nonetheless the end result is a vastly different side to be taking on the dogs for the 2nd time.

Edited by Curry & Beer