Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

How did you end up following the Mighty Dees?

Frosty Demon

We moved to Collingwood when I was about five and knew nothing of footy at that stage. The local toughs in my street and school all followed Collingwood of course. I hated them and deliberately chose Melbourne who were the arch enemy to follow. Collingwood was a vicious and brutal place at the time. Weekly fights was normal behaviour for kids. Barassi was my favourite player. This was reinforced later when we moved to East Melbourne and lived opposite the MCG. After the 64 GF I was standing on our fence waving a flogger and watching all the fans go past after the game. A jubilant drunk Melbourne supporter gave me and my brother 2 pound notes each as he staggered past. That was a fortune at the time for any kid. In hindsight I should have given him the money back. My brother had more sense and followed Geelong. His patience was rewarded eventually.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 7

Handed down Carlton (mum) without really supporting anyone, the old man (Melb supporter) took me to my first AFL game (Dees v Pies - 86/87), Dees won! Switched on to AFL and the red and blue.

Couldn't imagine the alternate universe were I possibly could have chosen to support the filth.

Edited by 3Dee

Had a saints supporting dad during the very late 80's/early 90's that had lost a fair amount of interest in the footy, so it was up to my best mate to lure me over to the red and blue.

Didn't hurt that his last name was Febey. Told me for years that they were his cousins, and I though he was having me on. Till Matthew Febey showed up at a family BBQ at his place...

• Like 1

PD are we twins?

1. How did you start following the Demons?

I remember 1964 GF I was 7 already a Dees fan because my older brother was - he was at the GF - He has since defected - traitor - Adelaide!

2. Who was your very first favourite player and why?

Hassa Mann then Ross Dillon & Greg Parke - of all time Robbie.

3. Best moment as a fan?

2000 Qualifier V Carltank or 1987 v Footscray last round - wow- I cried.

4. Worst moment as a fan?

1987 Prelim - Poor Jimmy

5. Anything else you would like to share?

I think I would rather die than support another club. After all these years in the doldrums I cannot wait to be that smug [censored] that barracks for the Mighty Dees after 3 flags in a row.

Edit: Correct year

There is every chance Mandee, especially if you used to sit next to the radio as a kid and write down the goals and points as they were kicked. And now go crazy telling the opposition fans through the telly to SHUT UP and drink a whiskey or two after the game to help restore your equilibrium.

There is every chance Mandee, especially if you used to sit next to the radio as a kid and write down the goals and points as they were kicked. And now go crazy telling the opposition fans through the telly to SHUT UP and drink a whiskey or two after the game to help restore your equilibrium.

• Like 1

We were when I started following them.

I envy you.

I have some great memories from the 90's when I was little, although they are intermittent. Consistency has been our enemy for as long as I can remember.

My brother defected to the Roos when we were young. Hard to blame him. Having said that, it's been a lot easier giving him crap since they recruited Jarred Waite.

I think the absolute worst part about being a young(er) Dees supporter is not having seen Robbie play. I started a thread last year where some older posters shared their memories and some found clips. I had no idea until then just how good (or little!) he was.

My 'good times' memories are all of Neitz, Schwartz, Lyon, Farmer etc. They were excellent, but Robbie they were not.

Edited by Choke
  • Like 2

I have the great Norm Smith to thank for becoming a Melbourne supporter.

During the Dees golden period in the late 50's & early 60's Smith arranged for an after-match function to be held at the MCG after games just for the players.

My father was engaged to be the drink steward (and yes beer flowed freely).

Dad recalled asking "Mr Smith" if he'd like a drink. The great man roared back "the name's Norm, son. You call me Norm".

Dad was so impressed with Norm and the calibre of all the Melbourne players that he switched from being an

occasional South Melbourne supporter to the Dees and when I came along naturally I followed suit.

• Like 10

I have the great Norm Smith to thank for becoming a Melbourne supporter.

During the Dees golden period in the late 50's & early 60's Smith arranged for an after-match function to be held at the MCG after games just for the players.

My father was engaged to be the drink steward (and yes beer flowed freely).

Dad recalled asking "Mr Smith" if he'd like a drink. The great man roared back "the name's Norm, son. You call me Norm".

Dad was so impressed with Norm and the calibre of all the Melbourne players that he switched from being an

occasional South Melbourne supporter to the Dees and when I came along naturally I followed suit.

And so alcohol ruins another life...

• Like 5

When the footy is on TV, Melbourne V Anyone my wife always goes gardening. She has a happy knack of coming back in just before the final siren, she walks over looks at the score then if we are in front she says " that's exciting" then she sits and watches the end with me. If as is more usual we are getting thrashed she quietly goes back outside until about 15 minutes after the match.

It's bad for us Melb supporters but what about our long suffering spouses? You have to admire them for putting up with us.

As for writing down the scores I was a more play in the yard and kick the goals myself kind of kid doing my own commentary. Not so much fun when we are losing.

• Like 1

I envy you.

I have some great memories from the 90's when I was little, although they are intermittent. Consistency has been our enemy for as long as I can remember.

My brother defected to the Roos when we were young. Hard to blame him. Having said that, it's been a lot easier giving him crap since they recruited Jarred Waite.

I think the absolute worst part about being a young(er) Dees supporter is not having seen Robbie play. I started a thread last year where some older posters shared their memories and some found clips. I had no idea until then just how good (or little!) he was.

My 'good times' memories are all of Neitz, Schwartz, Lyon, Farmer etc. They were excellent, but Robbie they were not.

There was certainly something special about him. He owned the Southern wing. I really can't recall seeing him lower his colours to anyone, and he played in a time of some great traditional wingers. Keith Greig, Dougie Hawkins,

Wayne Schimmelbusch to name a few

• Like 3

I envy you.

Neitz Schwartz Lyon and Farmer were all pretty amazing too Choke.

We will have our time again.

• Like 1

Was a bombers fan up until grade 5.. so until about 11 years old..

then was at grand parents house watching my cousin David Cordner play for the dees and was convinsingly told about the need to switch too the Dees.. the rest is history!

My other cousin is still a bombers fan and was smart enough not to switch haha

Was a bombers fan up until grade 5.. so until about 11 years old..

then was at grand parents house watching my cousin David Cordner play for the dees and was convinsingly told about the need to switch too the Dees.. the rest is history!

My other cousin is still a bombers fan and was idiotic enough not to switch haha

FIFY

My late father took me as an 8 year old in 1973 to watch a Vic V Sa match at the Adelaide Oval, Greg Wells had a field day.

As above, my name is Greg and when I saw Wellsy running around, I thought he was fantastic.

3. Best moment as a fan?

Watching the comeback against Freo in 08. Watching Jurrah, wondering what could have been. Jakovich, Robbie Flower doing everything with ease and grace.

1987 Preliminary Final...........Have absolutely hated Hawthorn ever since.

Would just like some more consistency with the team at the moment. There have been so many false dawns with this club its hard not to be jaded and cynical but I think we are on the right track. After following this mob for 42 years I hope to see at least one premiership.

Edited by bd
  • Like 1

I can't believe that a disreputable fellow like yourself Frosty has hosted a five page thread!! FMD!! What does that say?

Im also very surprised Bitter. So much love to be shared on Demonland. Also had to reply however to take it over to page six. :)

• Like 1

Ha! That describes me. If it was a wet day I'd kick a matchbox around the living room to the commentary. While writing down the scores.

On a dry day would play with a real ball (such a prize) in the empty block next door with a mate and we'd make the crowd roar noise as we played epic matches into the darkness of evening ...

As above, my name is Greg and when I saw Wellsy running around, I thought he was fantastic.

Yes, used to love Wellsy. Had his number on my jumper for a while. Was very disappointed when he jumped ship. But survived coz we still had Robbie.

• Like 1

Mum & Dad were one eyed bombers.

I was 5 when they took me to see Essendon v Melbourne at Windy Hill.

My Brother was 10 and supported Melbourne.

Melbourne beat Essendon that day, so my brother started taking me to all the Melbourne games.

6 premierships and 60 years later I am still a sad individual.

• Like 1

Worst memory 1965 sacking of Norm Smith for one week. The soul of the club never recovered.

Richmond becoming co tenants.

• Like 2

Yes, used to love Wellsy. Had his number on my jumper for a while. Was very disappointed when he jumped ship. But survived coz we still had Robbie.

Yep, Number 11 proudly on my jumper too. I too was very upset when he went to Carlton but Cest' La Vie. Still love my Dee's but jeez, they wear you down :rolleyes:

Edited by bd
  • Like 1

Loved reading how you all began following Melbourne!

My mum followed Geelong, but she was cunning. She and dad each led separate music groups. They'd work Friday & Sat nights plus Sat arvo..

Needing somewhere safe my bro & I could go unsupervised, in '54 she began taking us by train from Mentone to Richmond, walk across to the G for our game, then home. By '56 we were mad Demon fans, she thought it safe enough for a responsible 7 year old and an almost 5 year old to go on their own, so off we went.

The first time i paid for us to enter: Chap running the gate said, "where are your parents, you can't come in with a child, you're too young yourself! We spoke well to the supervisor & they let us in as long as he stayed with me all the time. And a great time it was at most home games for years! Good times.

2. first favourite player? I idolized the coach, heard Norm Smith speak, met him, was so impressed with how he got such a team effort. Tunbridge, Thorogood, Laidlaw, Ridley, Bluey, Hassa, Dixon, Barassi, Tassie & Bob Johnson, John Lord and others.

3. Best moment: Those premierships were hard to beat!

4. Worst moment: Smiths sacking & RDB's leaving.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

3. Best moment as a fan?

Okay lets see what you got.

Nice topic.

1. Ex Fitzroy supporter, couldn't barrack for an interstate club (even when winning). Melbourne born and bred, so the Dees it was. Old lady is an Essendrugs supporter so i could have gone that way!

2. Brad Green, but there is a certain #7 that is creeping past him.

3. Terrible times but the comeback against Freo at the MCG Round 7 2008 was amazing. Shared it with the old man. ( also ex Fitzroy now support no one)

4. 186

5. Even tho i chose to support the team in my mid twenties, it does not take away the love i have for this great club and the fact that my blood is red and blue.

• Like 1