Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

How did you end up following the Mighty Dees?

Frosty Demon

1. My Dad talked me into going for them when I was 10.

2. The Ox, he was exciting to watch.

3. The build up before the 2000 grand final!!

4. Beings at the game when we lost to Geelong by 186 which I refused to leave.

5. I have three balls

5. I have three balls

Interesting

• Like 3

1. My father in his nineties is still a Demons member and has a red seat which he tries to struggle along to,sometimes.

2. I was impressed as a schoolboy when Brian Keneally was doing a teachers round at my high school.

3. Best moment as a fan is anytime we beat Collingwood.

4. Worst moment as a fan was going to a Final at the "G" in the mid Eighties and watching Collingwood beat us in the Under-Nineteens, the Reserves and the Seniors, all on the same day. (I was with three Demon mates and all our wives were Collingwod supporters.)

5. My great grandfather played for St. Kilda and was the first player ever reported at Princess Park in 1898.

2.) As a post script: as a player, I still enjoyed watching Jurrah and lamented his departure (and demise)!

Edited by CBDees
  • Like 3

1. My father, grandfather, great-grandfather and great-great-grandfather were all Melbourne supporters. My grandfather apologised regularly for subjecting me to the same fate until the day he died, but I'll do the same to my own kids (should I actually have any.)

2. Jeff Farmer. Met him as a 7-year-old and he was really good with me being so young. Was crushed when he went to Freo.

3. Any time we come from nowhere and win a game. High-fiving and hugging complete strangers from the joy of being there and seeing it in person.

4. Round 2, 2013. I don't drink but I wanted to get plastered that night

5. My dog has a dark blue collar with her name and my phone number embroidered in red, as well as a Demons water bowl (Petstock were giving them away lmao.)

• Like 1

5. I have three balls

It's moments like this that make me love Demonland!

• Like 4

1. How did you start following the Demons? No family heritage towards teams as Irish immigrants my dad chose North and mum follows the Swans but I wanted to chose my own side, Sunday nights after countdown "The winners" watching circa 1980 and decided whoever was on I would pick a team, Melbourne vs Fitzroy FMD what a choice chose the Dees and 35 years later still as passionate as I was when I was 8, just swear a hell of a lot more watching footy then I did back then

2. Who was your very first favourite player and why? Todd Viney loved his hardness and attack on the ball, there was a time until he did his knee Chris Connolly was my favourite player but he was cruelled by injury. Robbie was still the best I saw but I was never going to be like him so at least with Todd I had some hope

3. Best moment as a fan? For all those Dees fans who are to young to remember or haven't seen us in finals, I can tell you that feeling of joy when we finally make the finals is something special and I haven't felt it again as a fan, maybe it was my age and innocence at the time. I will never forget round 22 1987 it was surreal and we were used to failure so never thought we would win and up until the Hawks hit the front down at Kardinia it looked like so close but so far, that whole week knowing we'd made it and the journey we went on in 87 was something I would love to go through again

4. Worst moment as a fan? 1987 Prelim I cried my eyes out, and whilst I still haven't gotten over it and the umpire not hearing the siren before Jimmy crossed the mark, I was able to reflect on the joy of the 1987 ride. 2008-14 has had me at my wits end and had me feeling for long periods that we will never get out of this and be any good again,

5. Anything else you would like to share? I have a pact with the big man upstairs that I don't head back up there until I see my Dees win a flag, so on a positive note I have a long and healthy life ahead of me

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 4

THanks Pennant for bits I cant improve on and the many who have recreated so many memories.

1. How did you start following the Demons? Dad a saints supporter took me to the Junction oval to watch Eric the tank Guy his next door neighbour. Tassie Bob was kicking drop kicks from full back over the centre, where Brian Dixon collected it on the bounce and kicked it to big Bob who goaled time after time . It was magnificent

2. Who was your very first favourite player and why? Hassa Mann probably just ahead of Bluey and Robbie. But so many unfortunately unlike RDB who had so little success as they were inconsistent Neiter, GArry, Wiz, Jacko And JAcka Hardemann Roet wells YZe Feebs I dont think Ive ever not enjoyed some aspect of any player who pulled on the jumper

3. Best moment as a fan? "For all those Dees fans who are to young to remember or haven't seen us in finals, I can tell you that feeling of joy when we finally make the finals is something special and I haven't felt it again as a fan, maybe it was my age and innocence at the time. I will never forget round 22 1987 it was surreal and we were used to failure so never thought we would win and up until the Hawks hit the front down at Kardinia it looked like so close but so far, that whole week knowing we'd made it and the journey we went on in 87 was something I would love to go through again" Exactly

4. Worst moment as a fan? "1987 Prelim I cried my eyes out, and whilst I still haven't gotten over it and the umpire not hearing the siren before Jimmy crossed the mark, I was able to reflect on the joy of the 1987 ride. 2008-14 has had me at my wits end and had me feeling for long periods that we will never get out of this and be any good again,"

5. Anything else you would like to share? The delight of communicating with the rest of the crazy buggers on Dland. Probably only we can truly understand the emotional whirlpool that binds us .

• Like 4

1.Father

2. Robbie Flower. I'm too young to remember Barassi and no-one's come near Flower's artistry, courage and skill since.

3. When we won the then night competition in 1987. It was the first silverwear I'd seen us win.

4. Round 1, 2012. I had thought that Neeld was going to fix the problems of the Bailey years. By the end of that game I knew that was a pipedream. Closely followed by Round 1 2008. I had thought that Bailey was going to fix the problems of the Daniher years. By the end of that game I knew that was a pipedream. Repeat.

5. I love AFL and want it to survive forever. For that reason I don't detest any of the other 17 teams. Rather, I see outside forces (other sports, recreations etc) as threats and the 18 AFL clubs and the AFL as a whole as a "superclub" to which I belong. I just happen to passionately support the classiest club in the competition.

PS Great thread, by the way.

• Like 1

1. I was a stupid child who made bad decisions.

2. Bluey Adams because he was prepared to play kick to kick in the street with a stupid kid who made bad decisions.

3. Watching the 1960 grand final when the opposition could only kick 2 goals.

4. Watching the 1958 grand final.

5. Still stupid and following this poor excuse for a footy club.

Edited by angrydee

1. How did you start following the Demons?

My father got me into them since birth and i never looked back. Sadly he passed away when i was just a boy, and although we have been solidly terrible for most of my life (I am 28 years old) in a way i am ridiculously loyal and infatuated by them, whether that is because of my love for the game, or a subconscious way of filling the void of his loss, i will never know. The day we win a premiership i will shed two tears, one for the joy of finally getting that illusive premiership and the other for him, as i know he'd be shedding the same tears right next to me.

2. Who was your very first favourite player and why?

Todd Viney. Tough, unrelenting, and every part of a player i wanted to be. Absolute joy watching his son Jack go about it, with much the same passion as his father.

3. Best moment as a fan?

ANY game we win. ANY.

4. Worst moment as a fan?

They tend to repeat on themselves. At the moment it is the weekends lost, sometime soon it will be something else. Such is the life of a MFC tragic.

5. Anything else you would like to share?

To those who originally started this blog, thank-you. Demonland is like a an inbred, deformed family from the hills. We fight, kiss, bicker, [censored], occasionally praise and generally act crazy with each other but the love is still there and we will never roam far from the family home, for ultimately we share the same doomed fate: we all barrack for the godforsaken Melbourne Football Club. Thanks for the laughs Demonlanders, you absolute pieces of [censored].

I_love_you_but.gif

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As
  • Like 10

1/ The success in the 60's even allowing for the fact that a brother eventually played at Tigerland in the late 60's.

2/ Robbie by a street ,also Wizz, Ox, AJ, Stinga, Jako, Barrass, Hassa, Big John Lord, Big Bob Johnson, Jimma, Hardeman, Parkes, Carl, Stanley A, Wellsy, Toddy, AJ,

3/ Making the 88 GF.

4/ Jimmy's little over the mark faux pas ! ...............closely followed by our recently improved recruiters.

5/ Just hate the way many are still prepared to never "critique" when it is more than justified. Lets all steer towards a more positive result soon.

• Like 1

5. I have three balls

Footballs? Red and blue?

Wrote the how a little while back here http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2010-08-21/the-team-we-love-how-i-came-to-love-mfc

Jakovich. Kicked 6 in a comeback win in my first game, and was mercurial.

3. Best moment as a fan?

Probably the finals win against the Saints in 06, but Jeff White kicking the winner against the Doggies in 05 to keep us in the finals race gave me goosebumps. Winning for Jimmy in 09 also made me pretty proud.

Schwarz doing his knee for the second time, against the Swans in 1995. The rd 1 loss to Brisbane on the back of Jimmy's passing is thereabouts.

This club's been pretty hard to follow over the last few years. I'll always stick with them, but I'm getting tired of waiting for the day where I don't get a ribbing for the team I support.

• Like 3

The run of wins in 2000 when I was just starting to love footy.. Jumped on board

Yze would be the number 1, but I loved Woey and Tingay too

3. Best moment as a fan?

I think the final against St Kilda when Chopper Carroll took Gehrig to the cleaners.. Young blokes stood up that day

The Semi Final against Adelaide when we fought so hard for the lead and a McLeod led Crows ran over the top of us..

I have a massive love/hate/hate relationship with the Dees.. I love the red and blue too much, that losses hurt so much that I can't stand the sight of us.... For seven days

• Like 1

Great thread.

Those of us lucky enough to cram into the Western Oval Round 22 1987 saw something really special that day.

We all remember it the same way

I remember walking down Dynon Road after the game just thinking "We are there..." as all these Demons scarves flew past me from car windows.

Old men were high 5ing strangers

The week after at the G was beautifully surreal

I want my Demons to play that way again

60 metre kicks straight down the middle...= Goals!!!

• Like 6

1) I started to follow the dees in 1964 when I was 7. They were the best. I think at age 7 you really start to understand footy. Paradoxically now I no longer understand footy( at least our version of it )

2) First favourites Ross Dillon and Greg Parke. I thought Hassa Mann was pretty good too.

3) Beating Carlton in that 2000 Qualifying Final with Schwarz on fire and Cam Bruce kicking the sealer. Never had so much joy in seeing opposition fans suffer.

4) Having Essendon peg back a 51 point lead from 6 minutes into the last quarter to beat us in a canter.

5) in 1965 I watched Melbourne lose their first match that season after 8 straight wins. I thought us unbeatable that day. I had the same thought as I walked into the G yesterday against guess who.

PD are we twins?

I remember 1964 GF I was 7 already a Dees fan because my older brother was - he was at the GF - He has since defected - traitor - Adelaide!

Hassa Mann then Ross Dillon & Greg Parke - of all time Robbie.

3. Best moment as a fan?

2000 Qualifier V Carltank or 1987 v Footscray last round - wow- I cried.

1987 Prelim - Poor Jimmy

I think I would rather die than support another club. After all these years in the doldrums I cannot wait to be that smug [censored] that barracks for the Mighty Dees after 3 flags in a row.

Edit: Correct year.

Edited by ManDee
  • Like 4

My old man grew up a Demon after being a youngster during the successful period of the 50's and 60's. I was born in '72 and basically didn't have an option. Dad tells me the story that in the early 80's when we were very ordinary, I asked to swap teams to Richmond. He said if I did that he'd kick my arse so hard I'd land over the other side of the cattle pit.

The track leading up to our farm house was 200m long.

Robbie Flower, along with my old man was the reason I stayed a Demon.

3. Best moment as a fan?

Each time we beat Richmond (how the wheel has turned).

Getting slaughtered by the Bummers in 2000 and '87 prelim.

Losses aside, we have had a very good reversal of fortunes since Jackson and Roos have arrived. The whole FD appears to be functioning very well compared to the last decade. To give up on our Club now would be foolish.

Success is only a couple of years away.

• Like 5

My old man grew up a Demon after being a youngster during the successful period of the 50's and 60's. I was born in '72 and basically didn't have an option. Dad tells me the story that in the early 80's when we were very ordinary, I asked to swap teams to Richmond. He said if I did that he'd kick my arse so hard I'd land over the other side of the cattle pit.

The track leading up to our farm house was 200m long.

Robbie Flower, along with my old man was the reason I stayed a Demon.

3. Best moment as a fan?

Each time we beat Richmond (how the wheel has turned).

Getting slaughtered by the Bummers in 2000 and '87 prelim.

Losses aside, we have had a very good reversal of fortunes since Jackson and Roos have arrived. The whole FD appears to be functioning very well compared to the last decade. To give up on our Club now would be foolish.

Success is only a couple of years away.

Born in a good year Mcqueen

My Dad's side have been Dees supporters for generations. Unfortunately I'm the first one to have not yet seen a premiership. Surely...soon.

The Ox. He was an absolute freak of nature before he did his knees. Jeff Farmer was next; his ability to create something from nothing was something that perhaps only Liam Jurrah could replicate.

3. Best moment as a fan?
Seeing us obliterate Adelaide in the 1998 qualifying final after they'd won the flag and we'd won the spoon the year before. 1998 should've been our year.

The Neeld years.

Every offseason I fall into the trap of becoming overly optimistic about our prospects for the upcoming season, and most years my hopes are dashed by half time in round one. Something feels different about the club since Roos took over, and my optimism seems to be well-founded this time. It's mid-season and I still look forward to each game, whereas in years past I'd be looking forward to the draft.

• Like 2

1. In the early 60's I and my family lived in Hawthorn. After many visits to Glenferrie Oval watching the Hawks getting beaten I incurred the wrath of all and sundry by announcing I was going to follow the Dees. What can I say? It seemed like a good idea at the time. I figure I deserve everything I've had to endure from that time on. Would I change it? Probably not. My children have all grown up Melbourne supporters and say it's made them stronger. A gym membership would have been cheaper and far less painful methinks.
  2. John Lord, because I could always pick his bald head from anywhere around the ground. He was later replaced by Hassa Mann and then Robbie Flower who gave me as much pleasure as anybody deserves.

3. Making the finals in 87 and seeing Robbie Flower run on the G to play finals.

4. Losing to Hawthorn in the 87 Prelim

5. I believe that we will rise to the heights of finals and a premiership in the next five years. Having said that, If we don't I am refusing to die until we do. I'll be 63 next month and will be running my 17th marathon in October. Running has given me a resting heart rate of 50 bpm and my doctor describes me as "a heart with legs". I'm convinced I can live to 150 if that's how long it's going to take. Go Dees!

• Like 5

This probably isn't really relevant to the thread exactly, but it's a story that I've been wanting to share for a while now.

My better half is a primary school teacher and after the Geelong win the kids were doing some free drawing as it was near the end of term. My missus noticed that one little boy was drawing a Melbourne jumper, so she asked him why he was drawing this.

He looked up and with a big grin said "Because we won."

At this same school there are over 700 students and each year when everyone dresses up in their footy team colours you will be lucky to see 10 wearing red and blue. This includes kids who wear their local team colours which happen to be Melbourne's.

I just hope that sooner rather than later we can start attracting more supporters through winning and playing well as opposed to just relying on family.

• Like 8