Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

How did you end up following the Mighty Dees?

Frosty Demon

1. My dad got off a boat from Italy in the mid fifties, when all the Italians went to Carlton, he liked the MCG and started taking me there in 1969.

2. Very first favourite was probably Gary Hardeman. Just loved his marking and dash across half back. Should never have left us midway through his career and gone to S.A.

3. In Feb 2007, my six and a half year old son was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumour. We asked for the WIZ to come into the RCH. He did. I asked him to dedicate his first goal of 1997 to Joshua.

We played the Kangaroos on the Thursday before Good Friday - round one of that year. Kangaroos coming off a premiership. At the first bounce, Stynes taps the ball, Lyon gathers, handballs to Wiz who goals. Wiz pumps the air like we asked him to. Josh was there with me. Best moment ever. We only won three more games that year, making that round one victory more miraculous. My son is now 24 and follows the Dees

4. Worst moments? I was there for 186 and 148 against Geelong and Essendon. Schwarz's knee, Jimmy's death, getting smashed in two Grand Finals. Hard to pick one, but I'd probably go Brock McLean and the tanking saga.

5. Whatever happens, I am rusted on. A 39 year consecutive member (I will be 52 on Thursday) I will NEVER stop supporting our club

• Like 15

1. Was a mad keen Perth Demons fan in the 1980s. Used to have a soft spot for Richmond (Robert Wiley) and Melbourne (Allen Johnson, Steve Turner and Earl Spalding). By the time the Eagles arrived on the scene I had pretty much decided Melbourne was my team and the Eagles instant success cemented my hatred of that club (has softened slightly over the years).

2. Don't really remember having a favourite player in the early days. The first player I really took a shine to was Adem Yze.

3. Easily the 2000 qualifying final win against Carlton

4. Trying to console my 6 year old boy after we got smashed by the Eagles at Subi last season. There have been many similar moments since then, unfortunately the little fella takes losses very hard and questions his loyalty often. I feel pretty bad for having brainwashed the poor bloke.

5. I look at nearly a lifetime of supporting the Demons as the sleeping giant of emotional investments. At times, I've thought about cashing in the "shares" but when the club finally gets its [censored] together and has some real success, I anticipate that the pay-off is going to be unbelievable.

Edited by leucopogon
  • Like 2

1. How did you start following the Demons?

Born into a family of Demon fans.

2. Who was your very first favourite player and why?

Allen Jackovich. Not sure if anyone else remembers the VHS named ‘Demon Attack’ which showed highlights of the 1994 season. Jackovich was unbelievable. That’s my earliest memory.

3. Best moment as a fan?

2000 QF win vs Carlton

Wizard’s 9 in a half.

Beating West Coast in Perth in 1998.

Second half comeback vs Fremantle in 2008.

4. Worst moment as a fan?

Round 1 and Round 2 of 2013. Losing to Port by 78 points was diabolical (at least it was considered that at the time). The players talked the talk the next week about bringing an improved effort against Essendon. A 148 point defeat followed.

5. Anything else you would like to share?

Because we’ve been so crap for so long, we really do appreciate a win more than any other set of fans. My friend (Hawks supporter) came with me to the Richmond game this year in the wet and couldn’t believe how passionate and jubilant the Dees faithful were getting in the final minutes. I love it.

Edited by Sylvia Saint
  • Like 2

Allen Jackovich. Not sure if anyone else remembers the VHS named Demon Attack which showed highlights of the 1994 season. Jackovich was unbelievable. Thats my earliest memory.

3. Best moment as a fan?

2000 QF win vs Carlton

Wizards 9 in a half.

Round 1 and Round 2 of 2013. Losing to Port by 78 points was diabolical (at least it was considered that at the time). The players talked the talk the next week about bringing an improved effort against Essendon. A 148 point defeat followed.

Because weve been so crap for so long, we really do appreciate a win more than any other set of fans. My friend (Hawks supporter) came with me to the Richmond game this year in the wet and couldnt believe how passionate and jubilant the Dees faithful were getting in the final minutes. I love it.

Demon Attack 1994. Thanks for the reminder and great memory. My copy is hopefully safely stored at my parents house. Will have a look next time I visit. Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 2

1. My family is Collingwood, my uncle played for the pies and my grandfather was on the Collingwood board. The old man saw Ron Baggott play and changed to the Demons, i followed Melbourne because my dad did.

2. Robert Flower

3. 1987 Round 22 at the Western Oval

4. 1987 Prelim Final and the passing of Wayne Gordon & Troy Broadbridge

Edited by DavidNeitz9
  • Like 1

Great thread!

1. The choice was either supporting Melbourne with my Mum or Carlton with my Dad. Happy to say I chose the Dees and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

2. When I was a young-un going to my first football games around 1999-2000, it was hard not to like Russell Robertson. Even from a young age, some of his marks had me standing up on my seat and will forever be etched in my memory.

3. Beating Fremantle from absolutely nowhere to chalk up our first win in 2008. Best game I've seen live (well...the second half at least).

4. 186 (2011) or 148 (2013). No further comment...

5. The Dees are on the right track. Our club is in the save hands of Paul Roos and PJ. Saturday was hugely disappointing but we're getting there....one agonisingly short step at a time. I'll be there next Saturday. Go Dees!

• Like 4

My old man.

Garry Lyon. He was the first Melbourne player I watched that had real star quality. I think he's a bit underrated if anything. He was a mighty player in my memories of him.

3. Best moment as a fan?

2000 finals series

Freo comeback of 08

Inflicting Roos worst loss as Swans coach (oh the irony) - "The Dees are gonna be something!"

Salem's sealer against Essendon last year

Wow...how long have you got?

Dad passed away a couple of years back and I wrote about it here. The response to that post was pretty overwhelming. There are alot of good people here who deserve to see their team have some success. Demonland is an invaluable asset for us interstaters who have scarce contact with fellow Demon fans, and I'm very thankful to those who run it.

• Like 7

1 My Uncle's teacher came from a little Wimmera School and played for Melbourne in 1926

2 Robbie Flower

3 Beating Carlton in the last game the year they won the P'ship ( approx 1970+) .

3 When we beat Nth Melbourne and Flower kicked 5 goals in Final

4 When Jimmy went over the mark.

5 Loved Gary Hardeman, Rod Grinter, Gary Lyon, Think I will like Angus (shows heart) and Tommy Mac

• Like 1

Allen Jackovich. Not sure if anyone else remembers the VHS named ‘Demon Attack’ which showed highlights of the 1994 season. Jackovich was unbelievable. That’s my earliest memory.

3. Best moment as a fan?

2000 QF win vs Carlton

Wizard’s 9 in a half.

Because we’ve been so crap for so long, we really do appreciate a win more than any other set of fans. My friend (Hawks supporter) came with me to the Richmond game this year in the wet and couldn’t believe how passionate and jubilant the Dees faithful were getting in the final minutes. I love it.

Used to watch that video on loop as a kid.

• Like 1

1. Ron Barassi's TV segment got me started.

2. Idolised Hassa Mann through the 60s, the only blue blood left from our golden era.

3. Favourite moment/s were our two finals wins in '87.

4. Worst moment by the length of the straight was Simon Eishold's massive choke in the '87 prelim.

5. Still mystified by our sudden fall from greatness. One moment in 1965 we were unbeaten on top of the ladder, next moment Ian Cooper takes a massive speccy, followed by 50 years of football melancholy.

• Like 3

1. My old man, brainwashed all 4 kids into absolute diehards. He still proudly likes to get out my first membership card he bought for me in 1984. He also recently bought my niece one before she could walk.

2. My first was apparentlyTulip, had his number on my guernsey and badge but was so young I unfortunately don't remember watching him play. Chopper Lovell was my other, loved him, still have hopes one day he'll come back to the club in some capacity.

3. Being a country kid we used to go out and collect firewood. I remember just getting home and ready to empty the trailer and stack and we turned on the car radio, would have been about 1993ish, vs the Tiges I think. Chopper and Jakovich (my sister's fav) were going goal for goal. We stopped stacking, sat on the trailer mesmerized as they ended up with 8 apiece. Wish that game was filmed.

4. Seeing the Ox blow his knee. We were at the game, I think it was when he did it the 2nd time, as a kid seeing one of your favourite players go down is shattering.

5. My dad loved Mark 'Jacko' Jackson. My sister's 3rd word after Mum and Dad was Jacko. Allegedly when mum was out dad would stick his footy card on the fridge, pop the highchair in front and repeat Jacko and point to the card.

• Like 5

1. My great uncle Artie Cambridge played 2 games for Melbourne in 1922.My dad followed Melbourne for that reason.My mum is a Hawthorn supporter and when I was about 2 or 3 years old she decided to knit me a footy scarf and asked me what colours I wanted,red and blue or brown and yellow? Back then I obviously had the good fashion taste to reject the poo and wee colours.Even though that decision has caused me much pain and suffering over the years,I do not regret it.

2. Robbie,the only time I cried when a footballer passed was his last year,I'm still gutted now.

3. Seeing Robbie win the Elimination final in 1987.

4. Preliminary final 1987,I still have not got over it.

5. Despite everything I still love the red and blue.

Edited by Emerald
  • Like 1

2. Idolised Hassa Mann through the 60s, the only blue blood left from our golden era.

Not arguing with your choice, BD, but the second bit's a little harsh on the fabulous Don Williams.

1. Ron Barassi's TV segment got me started.

3. Favourite moment/s were our two finals wins in '87.

4. Worst moment by the length of the straight was Simon Eishold's massive choke in the '87 prelim.

5. Still mystified by our sudden fall from greatness. One moment in 1965 we were unbeaten on top of the ladder, next moment Ian Cooper takes a massive speccy, followed by 50 years of football melancholy.

Once heard a commentator refer to Simon Eishold as seen out in the car park contemplating a bottle of weed killer. A sad miss for him and us all

Loved reading everyone's stories about life and the MFC. We've covered everything from regulation brainwashing, to "my parents immigrated and didn't follow the herd" to "I was supposed to be a Collingwood supporter but got lost", to "how could I not be? We were awesome in the 50s/60s". So many different avenues in, but here we all are.

Gotta say this thread has cheered me up a lot. It's nice to know that there's so many others out there feeling tortured in the same way I do at times.

Ready for the MFC to break my heart again next week now!

• Like 6

Loved reading everyone's stories about life and the MFC. We've covered everything from regulation brainwashing, to "my parents immigrated and didn't follow the herd" to "I was supposed to be a Collingwood supporter but got lost", to "how could I not be? We were awesome in the 50s/60s". So many different avenues in, but here we all are.

Gotta say this thread has cheered me up a lot. It's nice to know that there's so many others out there feeling tortured in the same way I do at times.

Give yourself a jolly good flo gging Nashor. You'll be a better man for it!

Started supporting the Dees in 1965! Grandparents, Mother and Uncles were fans and went most weeks with them.

Would sit each week near the race, often with Stan Alves family and Max Walker was often there watching the reserves prior to the game. Went to school with the Ritterman twins and Ross Dillon - Melbourne High.

Early heroes were Hassa. Tassie Bob, Donny Williams, Ross Dillon, Gary Hardeman and Greg Wells.

Then came the greatest of them all Tulip. He was the most artistic of players. Balanced, clean hands, great vision and sublime skills. In some ways more like a dancer than a footballer. Had the pleasure of seeing him play his first game and watched him in the reserves playing in spectacles. No one at the time would have thought he would become a legend.

It has been worth all the years of pain being a Dees supporter to have been able to see him play for the team I have loved over the years.

Greatest moments - seeing the side get into 2 grand finals.

Worst moments - those 2 grand finals.

Special mention to Ox doing his knee for the third time and seeing Jeff White kicked in the face by King of Geelong- still seething that he was never reported.

Edited by chook fowler
  • Like 3

1. Just did.

2. Robbie Flower, who else.

3. round 22, Western Oval 1987. I was there. The next 2 finals were fantastic.

4. 1988/2000 grand finals. They were horrendous. 1987 Preliminary Final was a nightmare. But the team would have got thrashed by Carlton the following week even had we won.

5. I loved the Johnny Northey era. He got the "us against them" mentality working beautifully. So many battlers did so well under his tutelage, e.g Jamie Duursma, Doug Koop, Dean Chiron.

Edited by bingers
  • Like 1

I nominate that a non-game/current team-related distraction thread be started after every loss.

• Like 1