Post Match Discussion, Pontification and Prayer

Demonland

Anyone feeling bad about our loss today can take some solace from tonight's match in the west.

It's only 3QT and Gold Coast are already losing by more than we were at FT. What in God's name has happened to that club? Suffice to say, I feel no sympathy for them after all the draft concessions they got (not dissimilar to how other team's supporters probably view us after all our butchered draft picks).

Just looked at the scores, gave me a much needed laugh.

120-18 in the 4th, wow.

Haven't seen any of the game, but let me guess, as soon as Hawthorn asserted themselves we collectively went into our shells.

Haven't seen any of the game, but let me guess, as soon as Hawthorn asserted themselves we collectively went into our shells.

There were lots of things, but what really stood out to me was we tackled them and they could still dispose of the ball. They tackled us and we just coughed it up or fell over.

Edited by Clint Bizkit
  • Like 1

Jeff Kennett on Twitter

Does he mean during church?

If he wants them to retire all together then that would be "en masse".

Big nosed old c.

The selection for the game was the least of our problems. With the injuries we had there was no choice but to select the fringe players we didn't want to see. Couple that with some poor efforts from the week before and Roos' hands are tied. He has been trying to send the message that if you go back to Casey and play well to the structures and instructions over several weeks then you play - if he then doesn't do that it goes against the culture of hard work he is trying to create and instill in our players.

The problem, as many has mentioned, is our complete lack of depth. We can bemoan the usual players all we like and no-one would be incorrect, but it is further proof that another major cull through delisting and trading is required. We still lack quality in so many areas across the ground and tough decisions need to be made. Does Roos finally try and trade Watts for something we need? Do we look at trading Dawes?

And if you have a look at our two wins this season you'll notice that we took on teams with midfields comparable to ours. GC with an injured Ablett and the soft underbelly of the Tigers are midfields we can match. We've just played three of the best midfield combinations in the competition and been smacked from pillar to post. We need to get lucky and work some magic to get further depth in there because, if we don't, these types of losses will continue no matter who is in charge.

• Like 5

Looking forward to the return of Frost, Kent and Viney.

We are missing their tackling and aggression.

Add Jetta to that list as well. Really missing him in defence at the moment.

With the players we have out & our current lack of depth the result was hardly a surprise. Whilst it was bad to watch, we haven't found out anything we didn't already know. There's still half a list to turn over & we desperately need a couple of true A grade midfielders & a dependable ruckman. My concern about the loss is more about how it effects the younger players belief & morale. From that perspective I can understand why Roos would give players time away from the club. The challenge for this group is to maintain belief in themselves & to continue to try execute what they have been trying to implement when they are up against it. After Garland coughed up the ball when we were two goals up & the Hawks kicked an easy goal the momentum switch was almost like an avalanche.

• Like 1

The selection for the game was the least of our problems. With the injuries we had there was no choice but to select the fringe players we didn't want to see. Couple that with some poor efforts from the week before and Roos' hands are tied. He has been trying to send the message that if you go back to Casey and play well to the structures and instructions over several weeks then you play - if he then doesn't do that it goes against the culture of hard work he is trying to create and instill in our players.

The problem, as many has mentioned, is our complete lack of depth. We can bemoan the usual players all we like and no-one would be incorrect, but it is further proof that another major cull through delisting and trading is required. We still lack quality in so many areas across the ground and tough decisions need to be made. Does Roos finally try and trade Watts for something we need? Do we look at trading Dawes?

And if you have a look at our two wins this season you'll notice that we took on teams with midfields comparable to ours. GC with an injured Ablett and the soft underbelly of the Tigers are midfields we can match. We've just played three of the best midfield combinations in the competition and been smacked from pillar to post. We need to get lucky and work some magic to get further depth in there because, if we don't, these types of losses will continue no matter who is in charge.

What's Dawes contract status? I would gladly see him go, limited ability.

Keep Watts, he's only 24, it's all between the ears.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the return of Frost, Kent and Viney.

We are missing their tackling and aggression.

The players we have out are just about the ones we can least afford to lose after T Mac, Jonesy and Hogan (who missed today anywa)

Jetta, Kent, Frost, Viney... all of them are warriors and hard as hell and are just so crucial.

If we had our best 22 or close to it we could compete just about every week.... but as has been noted many times once we lose 5, 6, 7 guys from our best 22 we have no choice but to replace them with VFL level players cos thats all we have as back up

• Like 1

To be honest, I thought Grimes showed some improvement since his last game. He looked to take the game on a lot more and didn't resort to his usual first instinct which is to look backwards and sideways.

Howe at his best is really important to this club, but unfortunately at his worst he is an embarrassing, disinterested, selfish [censored]. He's twice as bad as Frawley was last year.

Why is he important? Because he can take a hanger and get on the highlight reels? He's [censored], we'll be lucky to get a 4th round pick for him, so annoyed we didn't snap up pick 6 from GWS when we had the chance.

To any [censored] wit that thought Matt jones and Rohan bail were decent players, pleasantly stick a rod up ya clacker. What a disgrace. Bail is a fkn joke. I could carry on, but I am too [censored]. I called it early this week in a thread that was deleted

. Lost the game at the selection table. Never again

But... but... the training reports said they've never looked better!

Shouldn't have dropped Watts... who gets the blame now?

Thats exactly what i've been thinking, Watts can't be blamed by all the 'supporters' now

What's Dawes contract status? I would gladly see him go, limited ability.

Keep Watts, he's only 24, it's all between the ears.

I'm under the impression that he is contracted until the end of 2016. '

And how long do we wait for Watts to get it? I'm not against keeping him, but do we look to move him on while we can still get something for him? Would have to be something good, but if the offer was there then I would look at it.

But... but... the training reports said they've never looked better!

Yeah, apparently Matt Jones was best 22 according to those reports. Just further proof for anyone reading these forums that, outside of injuries and the game plan stuff they may be doing, training reports are worthless.

• Like 2

We are there abouts each week with the opposition in tackling contested possession and inside fifties counts . It's the quality of our ball use -.finishing slow play and bloody turnovers usually by foot that kill us . Today we were taught a lesson by a very good team .

Don't look at the numbers have a look at the tape.

Hawthorn were tackling today, preventing us from getting an effective disposal away.

We were cuddling the opposition, giving them a hug while they either pushed us off or just kept running right through us and gave the ball off to a team-mate.

• Like 1

With the players we have out & our current lack of depth the result was hardly a surprise. Whilst it was bad to watch, we haven't found out anything we didn't already know. There's still half a list to turn over & we desperately need a couple of true A grade midfielders & a dependable ruckman. My concern about the loss is more about how it effects the younger players belief & morale. From that perspective I can understand why Roos would give players time away from the club. The challenge for this group is to maintain belief in themselves & to continue to try execute what they have been trying to implement when they are up against it. After Garland coughed up the ball when we were two goals up & the Hawks kicked an easy goal the momentum switch was almost like an avalanche.

Agree Bonkers. A thrashing was always on the cards. We just have zero, zip, nada of outside run and spread and it showed up today horribly.

The players we have out are just about the ones we can least afford to lose after T Mac, Jonesy and Hogan (who missed today anywa)

Jetta, Kent, Frost, Viney... all of them are warriors and hard as hell and are just so crucial.

If we had our best 22 or close to it we could compete just about every week.... but as has been noted many times once we lose 5, 6, 7 guys from our best 22 we have no choice but to replace them with VFL level players cos thats all we have as back up

Wait, I thought it was all Roos' fault?

Why is he important? Because he can take a hanger and get on the highlight reels? He's [censored], we'll be lucky to get a 4th round pick for him, so annoyed we didn't snap up pick 6 from GWS when we had the chance.

At his best he takes repeated intercept marks, cutting off opposition inside 50s, and he provides strong rebound from the half-back flank. When he cares about playing, and he gets on his bike, he can break the lines through the middle, and while his goalkicking is crap, his field kicking is good and he can hit a target moving forward.

His best is valuable, but he doesn't really care much about producing it at the moment.

Can't imagine Watts would have much currency.

There is no silver bullet, no-one's going to come over the hill on a white horse, no single player is going to turn the club around. The only way to improve is to put in the hard yards, from the Board down to the boot studder, accept that there will be setbacks along the way, and build the kind of team and culture that we've seen at clubs like Hawthorn and the Swans.

Which will take time.

• Like 3

We are there abouts each week with the opposition in tackling contested possession and inside fifties counts . It's the quality of our ball use -.finishing slow play and bloody turnovers usually by foot that kill us . Today we were taught a lesson by a very good team .

Don't look at the numbers have a look at the tape.

Hawthorn were tackling today, preventing us from getting an effective disposal away.

We were cuddling the opposition, giving them a hug while they either pushed us off or just kept running right through us and gave the ball off to a team-mate.

That was absolutely putrid.

I didn't expect to win, but I expected a far better performance than that.

Yes we had injuries and yes we had a team full of VFL talent, underdone youth and poor performing senior players, but that does not excuse such a meek and insipid effort from the side. It does not excuse the majority of senior players failing to lead. It does not excuse turning up your toes halfway through the first quarter and showing no desire or passion to fight the game out. It does not excuse letting a team that has dominated us for a decade to walk all over us yet again and treat us with absolute contempt. It does not excuse letting Hawthorn players repeatedly walk through our tackles and find open players streaming inside 50m.

That was a disgusting effort and the only reason it won't rank as one of our worst in recent times is because this club has set the bar so low that only a 150-point loss could attain that status.

• Like 4