Which player positively suprised you against GC

The whole team surprised me. Every individual played their part. Pleased to see the older players exceeding past performances but I was surprised with Newton, Brayshaw, and Vandenberg. All 3 were so composed and looked like they belong Day 1. I cannot remember 3 first gamers looking so polished and assured.

• Like 3

The player which suprised me the most was Garland, I have been such a critic of him, but he hardly made an error, whether tagging Ablett and he moved the ball quickly when he had it, none of this stop and prop stuff and he kicked a goal!!

Yep, played the best game he has played in quite a long time

Leigh Matthews was impressed by Hogan and Brayshaw - bit different to his initial observations on Jack Watts

Did he have an observation on Watts?

Delighted to see Col back again. Have always enjoyed his quirky approach.

All the new guys were really important and give cause for optimism.

Thus far good times!

I'm glad to see Melbourne's faith in Newton has finally paid dividends. I know we all thought after that Mark of the Year that it would all click for him, but it's been a while. Now we're all seeing the results we thought we would.

What? Wrong Newton? Oh...

• Like 3

Howe definitely. I had the golden ticket ready.

No surprises regarding Garland at all here. It was fun arguing with so many about this over the pre-season, though :)

The golden ticket might come out later in this long season...

I am pleased with what Howe and Garland were able to do. But agree that we have seen it before.

Brayshaw and his tackling instincts were predatory. And Kent being in and out of the NAB teams tell me they rate him so highly that they nursed him through to Rd 1.

But Jeff Garlett getting 20 touches and what should have been 5 goals was the most positively surprising thing. He ran through the middle and gave, for lack of a better word, spark whenever forward.

• Like 3

I would have to say Jeremy Howe. In the first instance because he had no match practice at all over the pre season after doing his hammy on Australia Day and secondly, because he seems to be taking his game to a higher level in all facets. If he keeps this up, the sky's the limit for him (and his next contract).

• Like 2

Watts.

It's amazing how much [censored] he still gets from supporters. I hear Melbourne supporters call him weak and stuff if he gets tackled or can't hold a tackle.

I think personally I was happiest about Garland.

I've always had a soft spot for him, I think because of his posture: he often looks like he is about to apologise to his mum for being out so late.

Loved Tom McDonald going nuts - especially because it gave a 'told you so' supercoach moment.

• Like 3

Watts.

It's amazing how much [censored] he still gets from supporters. I hear Melbourne supporters call him weak and stuff if he gets tackled or can't hold a tackle.

I heard a few people moaning when he got the ball, apparently he can't kick!

Watts.

I heard a few people moaning when he got the ball, apparently he can't kick!

I can't stand it either.

He is just the prototypical scapegoat for any fan to attack for any reason, with little regard for what he just did or is about to do.

In fact, it takes away from the legitimate concerns over Watts' progress when Melbourne fans just sit there apoplectic, gnashing their teeth at Watts whether he was at fault in the particular contest or not.

• Like 2

In fact, it takes away from the legitimate concerns over Watts' progress when Melbourne fans just sit there apoplectic, gnashing their teeth at Watts whether he was at fault in the particular contest or not.

Well articulated, he is a kind of barometer for objective thinking.

It is also easy to overlook things Watts does like at the 1.27 mark of this vid. Work out how the ball gets to Garlett for him to kick the goal from the centre clearance. Gold Coast had just kicked two on the trot and it was looking distinctly like we may fold as we have done so many times of late. And then along comes this little bit of magic

rd-1-watch-all-the-goals

Jack will never be a Leigh Matthews tough guy clone but I do see bits of James Hird brilliance in him. He can see the game unfold in a different way to most

• Like 1

It is also easy to overlook things Watts does like at the 1.27 mark of this vid. Work out how the ball gets to Garlett for him to kick the goal from the centre clearance. Gold Coast had just kicked two on the trot and it was looking distinctly like we may fold as we have done so many times of late. And then along comes this little bit of magic

rd-1-watch-all-the-goals

Jack will never be a Leigh Matthews tough guy clone but I do see bits of James Hird brilliance in him. He can see the game unfold in a different way to most

Good get fndee. I hadn't noticed that at the game or on the replay.

rd-1-watch-all-the-goals

If he meant that he is a footballing savant!

Not sure he knew much about it but I would take the credit for the goal assist if I was him...

I can't stand it either.

He is just the prototypical scapegoat for any fan to attack for any reason, with little regard for what he just did or is about to do.

Don't worry I have a feeling the supporters are starting to turn - their hatred is now being directed towards Toumpas instead.

• Like 1

Don't worry I have a feeling the supporters are starting to turn - their hatred is now being directed towards Toumpas instead.

I think that is a shame as I suspect that he will similarly surprise when he hits his straps.

Yes, I can feel it too.

We always need someone to spew the vitriol at...

Not sure about 'hatred' Gonzo but I can see your point.

The Australian cricket team nearly always has a scapegoat/whipping boy. At various times in the last few years it's been Johnson, Clarke, Haddin, Hughes, Warner and now it's Watto's turn (he was even booed when he came onto bowl in the WC final)

Back to footy - the high draft pick number is a huge factor too. People mistakenly believe that a top end draft pick is 'supposed' to be a good player when that is just another myth. Because of those subsequent expectations, young draftees are judged too early and often unfairly.

We've got a stack of players who have been in the system for 4+ years who haven't really done a great deal - the high scrutiny is not spread in a fair and balanced way

Edited by Macca

The debutants, Hogan, Brayshaw, vandenBerg and how they handled the situation and left me looking forward to watching their future development.

In regards to a previous post regarding Toumpas becoming the whipping boy. Toumpas would benefit from a few lessons from Jack Watts. Toumpas has the skills, however at the moment, whilst he is trying to do the team things, he is rushing, which is resulting in skill and decision making errors. Watts was similar in his early days.

rd-1-watch-all-the-goals

Pretty sure it came off his knee there.