Does Brayshaw play round 1?

Wrecker45

Nothing changes with this club

Haven't any of you learnt from our disastrous recent history?

It is so short-sighted, impatient and just plain selfish to demand he be selected simply because he exists

We have had such a tough time supporting this club you are just utterly desperate to see some kid, maybe he does something special, then you get to feel hopeful maybe we finally have a star

FCS what is the hurry

There will be 8 under-22 aged players with hardly any games between them out for you to feast on. Is that not enough? This is why we lose games BTW. We march out a side with 2-3 years of development less than our opponent every single week every single year. By coincidence, I have done the numbers and will post it shortly, the average number of games your best 22 has is essentially your ladder position. Deadset. All we do is delist our older players and replace them with babies so we never field a mature side and finish in the bottom bloody 3 every year. And here we see demands of the masses to play another zero gamer for no good reason at all. Bail and MJones are rubbish footballers but they increase our chances of winning the football game as opposed to fielding a zero gamer.

I thought most of us were on the same page, that he should show consistent, dominant form at Casey and be given his chance once he is totally starving for it, not just waltzed in

It is what the best clubs do, but that's not us, we're Melbourne, so let's F it up again

This is exactly what you said before the Essendon game and look at the result, I would prefer him in the team compared to Bail or Jones or Mckenzie... Wouldn't you? Get some new blood in there someone who hasn't been apart of the past 8 years.

Mainly because the majority of the Casey players are inexperienced as well, and you would expect Brayshaw to stand out as to where he was drafted

Brayshaw has also not done a full pre season, he started a month after everybody else, and has had a couple of light weeks because of concussion

MIchie was the best MFC player last Saturday against Willy, didn't make an error, but everybody only sees Brayshaw

He is going to be a really good player, but let him earn his place in the team from 3 or 4 BOG at Casey in the real stuff

Brayshaw kicked 2 goals and found more footy. Even if he made more mistakes I think he was more effective than Michie and I can say that without even seeing the game. Michie might be handy in close and reliable with the ball but until he busts a gut and gets involved away from the packs and running both ways he won't make an impact at AFL level.

Mainly because the majority of the Casey players are inexperienced as well, and you would expect Brayshaw to stand out as to where he was drafted

Brayshaw has also not done a full pre season, he started a month after everybody else, and has had a couple of light weeks because of concussion

MIchie was the best MFC player last Saturday against Willy, didn't make an error, but everybody only sees Brayshaw

He is going to be a really good player, but let him earn his place in the team from 3 or 4 BOG at Casey in the real stuff

In your opinion Michie was best on ground, but the club named Brayshaw BOG and JKH was after that. I know who I'd trust.

The point is that the kid has been excellent and done everything asked of him, and if Roos thinks he is up to it then he'll pick him.

• Like 1

Natural talent - you mean he can turn water into wine? or Wines

He made quite a few basic skill and decision errors on Saturday in a VFL praccy game

If him missing was the reason we lost against Essendon, then we are in big trouble

Also sees my answer to HH

Get on the Brayshaw bus TDI, this kid is going to be awesome lets get 50 games into him as quick as possible.
  • Like 2

Get on the Brayshaw bus TDI, this kid is going to be awesome lets get 50 games into him as quick as possible.

Nah, doesn't work like that.

We are the baseline experiment for 'Just Get Games Into Them' and it was such a massive failure that it would be funny if my sense of humour had survived the disaster...

• Like 5

Brayshaw wasn't pick 3 for nothing, and given that he's tracking OK, I'm sure we'll see him sooner rather than later - spots permitting. I think the biggest question mark wouldn't be over his ability, but his tank - it takes years to build up to full AFL fitness, but none of us know how far off the pace he might be.

Happy to let the selection committee decide, but not going to be jumping off any tall buildings if he's not included.

• Like 2

Nah, doesn't work like that.

We are the baseline experiment for 'Just Get Games Into Them' and it was such a massive failure that it would be funny if my sense of humour had survived the disaster...

That's almost a moot point now.

It's a different club.

Brayshaw wasn't pick 3 for nothing, and given that he's tracking OK, I'm sure we'll see him sooner rather than later - spots permitting. I think the biggest question mark wouldn't be over his ability, but his tank - it takes years to build up to full AFL fitness, but none of us know how far off the pace he might be.

Happy to let the selection committee decide, but not going to be jumping off any tall buildings if he's not included.

I'd say he's 3/4 fit, can play midfield for some minutes but has to play half back or half forward for other times. He's not speedy so I'm not sold on him on a wing.

Wines probably wasn't much fitter. But was a bit stronger. He played a bit midfield and a bit forward.

It might not suit him perfectly but I'd love him in Grimes' spot at half back. He might not even be that successful but he'd get a really good footy education and it would suit his fitness and body compared to the midfield.

I feel the 22nd player picked will be out of Brayshaw and Michie.....and if that player is to be the sub, which would be Roos way of easing in the first gamer it has to be Brayshaw , not only because of that, but because he is more likely to be an impact player than Michie who just sort of accumulates possessions and is more of a link man.

Nothing changes with this club

Haven't any of you learnt from our disastrous recent history?

It is so short-sighted, impatient and just plain selfish to demand he be selected simply because he exists

We have had such a tough time supporting this club you are just utterly desperate to see some kid, maybe he does something special, then you get to feel hopeful maybe we finally have a star

FCS what is the hurry

There will be 8 under-22 aged players with hardly any games between them out for you to feast on. Is that not enough? This is why we lose games BTW. We march out a side with 2-3 years of development less than our opponent every single week every single year. By coincidence, I have done the numbers and will post it shortly, the average number of games your best 22 has is essentially your ladder position. Deadset. All we do is delist our older players and replace them with babies so we never field a mature side and finish in the bottom bloody 3 every year. And here we see demands of the masses to play another zero gamer for no good reason at all. Bail and MJones are rubbish footballers but they increase our chances of winning the football game as opposed to fielding a zero gamer.

I thought most of us were on the same page, that he should show consistent, dominant form at Casey and be given his chance once he is totally starving for it, not just waltzed in

It is what the best clubs do, but that's not us, we're Melbourne, so let's F it up again

You'll forgive me for suggesting this is a very shallow view. I wouldn't advocate Stretch playing because he's not ready, but a 19 year old brayshaw is.

But for interests sake, tell me why Aish, Lewis Taylor, Wines, Macrae, Dunstan, MacDonald (North), Mayes, O'Meara, Bontempelli, Ellis, Vlastuin, and countless others were staples from the get-go, but it's asking too much of Brayshaw. I'm fascinated to know.

In your opinion Michie was best on ground, but the club named Brayshaw BOG and JKH was after that. I know who I'd trust.

The point is that the kid has been excellent and done everything asked of him, and if Roos thinks he is up to it then he'll pick him.

I was there and want Brayshaw to play in round 1, but I didn't think he was BOG. He was OK, but the superlatives of his game are exaggerated. I thought Mitchie was as good, but he didn't get the chain of 3-4 nothing possessions that Brayshaw did in a 5 metre radius that inflated his numbers. I've seen the last 2 weeks and Brayshaw didn't dominate in either game. But he played well in both. Mitchie was better this week compared to last week.

Draftees do get talked up in the media.

EDIT: I see that Casey named Brayshaw best, so who am I to disagree. I studied him and saw his every involvement but perhaps I'm too quick to find fault. I love him as a player, which can sometimes lead to one becoming overly critical.

Edited by ProDee

I was there and want Brayshaw to play in round 1, but I didn't think he was BOG. He was OK, but the superlatives of his game are exaggerated. I thought Mitchie was as good, but he didn't get the chain of 3-4 nothing possessions that Brayshaw did in a 5 metre radius that inflated his numbers. I've seen the last 2 weeks and Brayshaw didn't dominate in either game. But he played well in both. Mitchie was better this week compared to last week.

Draftees do get talked up in the media.

EDIT: I see that Casey named Brayshaw best, so who am I to disagree. I studied him and saw his every involvement but perhaps I'm too quick to find fault. I love him as a player, which can sometimes lead to one becoming overly critical.

Thanks , you are not overly critical

The best are named by Casey, not even the coach

Brayshaw did not dominate, if he did, I would be clamouring for his inclusion as well

I am on the Brayshaw bus, but I want it parked at Casey for a few rounds so he starts to dominate and comes in in top form and confident

Yes, JKH and Salem got chances early last year as a sub, but what alternatives did Roos have, players he had no faith in, Clisby, Blease, Strauss, Tapscott, besides which Salem who is now the half back saviour, was horrible for most part, but did a couple of exciting things, he was better towards the tail end of the season, same with JKH, a full preseason into both and I expect them to feature heavily

Personally from what I have seen, I reckon you can also get excited about ANB, but want the same for him, has been out for over a month with his knee, did the whole session and didn't miss one kick or handball today

Edited by The Devil Inside
  • Like 1

But for interests sake, tell me why Aish, Lewis Taylor, Wines, Macrae, Dunstan, MacDonald (North), Mayes, O'Meara, Bontempelli, Ellis, Vlastuin, and countless others were staples from the get-go, but it's asking too much of Brayshaw. I'm fascinated to know.

My god, you're big on the sweeping generalisations. From "bevy" to "a gaggle" we now have "countless others".

The only "countless others" in regards to 18 year old draftees playing solid AFL games concerns the 95% (or more) who do NOT have the fitness to consistently play first-22 football.

Whether Brayshaw is in the 5% or the 95%, we shall find out soon enough.

• Like 2

Not sure if serious...

He has been Caseys best player the last 3 weeks champ.

"Champ"

What 21 year old footy fans call people on the internet in the hopes of sounding like a condescending w@nker, and succeeding.

Edited by autocol

Bail and MJones are rubbish footballers but they increase our chances of winning the football game as opposed to fielding a zero gamer.

I understand what your saying except for this line, really clutching at straws with that one.

The fact is we are a poor team, if we were a good team Brayshaw wouldn't get considered. Playing rubbish players ahead of zero gamers won't magically make us a better side, playing 22 players that can actually play will make us a better side.

It will be interesting to see which way they go with Brayshaw, it will tell us what they really thought of the Essendon game.

Will they put a line through some players like they done with Pedersen after his poor showing against Freo? Bail was named in the Casey squad a few weeks ago, that could be a indication that he could be the first casualty.

How long will they persist with M.Jones?

What do they do with a confidence player like Toumpas?

Have JKH and Kent done enough?

Will Vince and Howe be fit enough?

I think the Willy game might have put Brayshaw ahead of vandenBerg but it's hard to tell if he is ahead of Toumpas, Bail and M.Jones as they weren't allowed to redeem themselves in the VFL.

We have plenty of selection headaches, unfortunately it's due to players lack of fitness and poor form instead of what we really need which is players knocking down the door due to their great form.

• Like 2

I'd much rather see brayshaw play than some of the guys who have been around a while like Jordie.

He already has a pretty solid frame, is dominating vfl level and I reckon he's ready to go, there is a fine line between protecting kids and holding them back and I reckon Angus is ready to play and make an impact right now.

I'll defer to the football department on this one.

Based in the reports I've read here, he certainly seems to have shown enough to be named.

But I want the club develop him into the 300 gamer for this club (not hyperbole this time) that I reckon he might become. Round one, whilst tempting, is only one very small step on that journey. His development is key.

There is an argument here to say that not playing him purely because he's a young(ish) high draft pick is being bogged down in the past.

Plenty of draftees play seniors from the get go. It is not in principle a bad thing, if the player is ready to compete. Just because the club has prematurely gifted games to high draft picks in the past and paid the price shouldn't forever restrict the club from playing its younger players, if they are ready.

Selectors will hopefully make the right call, but the weight of evidence, which includes our resident Casey expert deeming him ready, is leaning one way.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 3

You'll forgive me for suggesting this is a very shallow view. I wouldn't advocate Stretch playing because he's not ready, but a 19 year old brayshaw is.

as bing181 has pointed out, the players you have named form a tiny fraction of the wider pool

furthermore, I'm sure you noticed that none of the players you mentioned are Melbourne players

why? because our d'ment sucks, for one thing, but more importantly, it is because when we play zero gamers they join a pack of other under-50 gamers that are already in the side. There is a big difference between an experienced senior side carrying one kid vs just playing all kids. It is exactly what happened when the Bailey/Neeld sides were 'thrown to the wolves'.

You have to go all the way back to N.Jones to find an MFC player who hit the ground running - and even he came in mid-season, and was average at best in his early days. The difference was we had Neitz, McDonald, White, Bruce, Green, Yze, Brown, Whelan etc a proper group of experienced senior players around him. It is no coincidence that this was also the last moment we qualified as a semi-decent football club. THAT's when you can afford to carry zero gamers.

We will once again field a side that is in the bottom 2-3 for games played, it is why we lose. We should be trying to RAISE that average, not reduce it further by increasing the amount of kids out there

ps you yourself said, immediately after making this post, that AB's form has been largely exaggerated. It seems to me that the handful of posters in this thread who have actually SEEN Casey play this year agree with that assessment. Others are just deciding to say 'he has dominated every week' which appears to be total garbage. Even if it were the case, it has been 2-3 practice matches at VFL level, in no way is that considered a consistent output worthy of promotion if we are a serious football club.

I understand what your saying except for this line, really clutching at straws with that one.

The fact is we are a poor team, if we were a good team Brayshaw wouldn't get considered. Playing rubbish players ahead of zero gamers won't magically make us a better side, playing 22 players that can actually play will make us a better side.

It will be interesting to see which way they go with Brayshaw, it will tell us what they really thought of the Essendon game.

Will they put a line through some players like they done with Pedersen after his poor showing against Freo? Bail was named in the Casey squad a few weeks ago, that could be a indication that he could be the first casualty.

How long will they persist with M.Jones?

What do they do with a confidence player like Toumpas?

Have JKH and Kent done enough?

Will Vince and Howe be fit enough?

I think the Willy game might have put Brayshaw ahead of vandenBerg but it's hard to tell if he is ahead of Toumpas, Bail and M.Jones as they weren't allowed to redeem themselves in the VFL.

We have plenty of selection headaches, unfortunately it's due to players lack of fitness and poor form instead of what we really need which is players knocking down the door due to their great form.

Good point - but as I just posted, for me it is about having too many kids out there. Salem, Hogan, Toumpas, Kent etc all of these guys are every chance to have nil impact on Saturday. It is just the way it goes. Brayshaw would be another. Bail and MJones have played decent games before (not many) but as more experienced/bigger bodies they stand a greater chance of doing something when the heat is on against the big boys. As I said, I've done the figures on this. Your ladder position equals how many average games your 22 has played, for the very obvious reason that kids generally get outmuscled and outclassed by their senior opponents.