Training - Friday 30th January 2015

DirtyDees DDC

The kicking was good across the whole squad today, Roos has got runners everywhere, so there are easy options, and players are 'encouraged' to take them, the 'poor kicks 'supposedly' are getting better each time I watch the match sim,

Geez, not the best sounding write up.

Would be much happier reading that the poor kicks are actually getting better as opposed to supposedly getting better.

Keep up the great reports though mate, bit far for me to travel nowadays

Geez, not the best sounding write up.

Would be much happier reading that the poor kicks are actually getting better as opposed to supposedly getting better.

Keep up the great reports though mate, bit far for me to travel nowadays

Getting better and better, it meant the supposedly poor kicks, you know the usual suspects the hair shirt wearing lemon suckers pick on here, Tommy Mc did not miss a target today, neither did Matt Jones, only one who badly fluffed a kick was Dean Terlich who got a real ear bashing from Nathan Jones for not taking the simple option, his next kick was down the throat

Getting better and better, it meant the supposedly poor kicks, you know the usual suspects the hair shirt wearing lemon suckers pick on here, Tommy Mc did not miss a target today, neither did Matt Jones, only one who badly fluffed a kick was Dean Terlich who got a real ear bashing from Nathan Jones for not taking the simple option, his next kick was down the throat

I knew what you meant, just having some fun

And you reckon I get too close to the players, do you have actual proof of that statement, and if so, how?

No proof but I would appreciate it if you asked at next training.

Cheers.

Are they under real pressure when they are kicking ? By that I mean similar to match day Devil cause this is my main concern is that we look a million dollars at training and when it comes to the real stuff we go to water.

• Like 1

I'm sure in recent times a lot of the poor kicking came from uncertainty and lack of confidence. if the game plan isn't crystal clear there is hesitation and when that happens you're gone. Confidence in yourself and those around you also come in to it.

I can't see why most of the list can't improve their disposal this year.

• Like 1

Those portrait shots of Watts are awful - he looks like an 11 year old runt.

I just hope it's a combination of lighting, angle, whatever.

Looks horrendous doesn't it..

Sad to say Jack will never be that big hulking forward we all expected him to be as a number 1 draft pick. Best option is to settle for a Jack Gunston type floating across half forward..

Hopefully he grows a set this year aswell.

Or, for an alternative view for all those out there asking about skills...

It's a training session. It's not a pressure cooker situation. Anyone attending training will see some surprisingly good kicking skills from players who are more often associated with having questionable footskills. Of that I'm sure.

Getting better as Saty says? I'm not so sure. Perhaps. But it's training so really, it's hard to tell.

Matt Jones and McDonald will never be fantastic kicks of the footy.

I prefer to accept that, knowing that minimal improvement might come but nothing more.

It's more about raising the standard around these guys as they have other qualities and attributes that the side need at the moment.

The ultimate goal eventually would be to upgrade individuals. For example, Bradley Hill from Hawthorn is as good a runner as Matt Jones, but also has silky skills.

I know Saty would love for all MFC listed players to 'make it'. But it ain't realistic, and it certainly isn't going to help the side improve. Continuing to add quality to our list will though.

Means you'll just have to sit at home and sledge players via twitter

https://twitter.com/bvince23/status/560725316440563712

this is apt though:

Sam Jacobs@samjacobs24 Jan 29

@bvince23 just keep kicking it as wide and long as you can out of defence!! #herbie'sgameplan #2003GF

0 replies0 retweets2 favorites
Retweet
Favorite2

It's a training session. It's not a pressure cooker situation. Anyone attending training will see some surprisingly good kicking skills from players who are more often associated with having questionable footskills. Of that I'm sure.

Getting better as Saty says? I'm not so sure. Perhaps. But it's training so really, it's hard to tell.

I prefer to accept that, knowing that minimal improvement might come but nothing more.

It's more about raising the standard around these guys as they have other qualities and attributes that the side need at the moment.

The ultimate goal eventually would be to upgrade individuals. For example, Bradley Hill from Hawthorn is as good a runner as Matt Jones, but also has silky skills.

I know Saty would love for all MFC listed players to 'make it'. But it ain't realistic, and it certainly isn't going to help the side improve. Continuing to add quality to our list will though.

McDonald is not a great kick but more so it's his decision making that brings him unstuck. I like that there seems to be a real emphasis on creating options and for players to take the first option.

I still believe that a big part of good skills is having many good options to kick it to.

Agree and it's good they are working on this at training. Hopefully we see it game day.

Got to upgrade all the other attributes as well. Hill's not only as good a runner as Jones but better and has Isaac Smith on the other wing creating space that way, has Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis feeding the ball out from the clearances and a number of half backs running to provide options and that's not even mentioning the forward line.

What I hope happens this year is that we at least have the run to take the game on more otherwise we wont ever improve our kicking.

Even if we are taking safe options and retaining possession we need to working much harder and playing with much more confidence in the way we move the ball.

No, nor exactly, some always covet other teams players, get over it

We have one example last year of a players who was supposedly no good, Nev Jetta, getting fit, doing a full preseason and being played in a position he likes to play in, so let's wait and see shall we

Some others have seen what I am seeing, Ross getting them to perform the same thing over and over again, creating multiple options and taking the simple one, till it becomes second nature, the two incidents, Roos with Tyson and Jones and Terlich were because they didn't do it.

A lot of the so called kicking errors come from the actual decision making rather than the kicking, you can't be on an AFL list if you can't kick .

If Tommy Mc is coming out of defence and he looks up and has the runner(s) exactly where he/they should be coz they have practiced it so many times, he does what is now second nature and kick perfectly to him, like he did yesterday

On match days it will be the same, coz everybody is on the same page, and Roos will be only playing those players who do exactly what they are supposed to do, so we won't have Tommy Mc looking downfield to one on three or four and have no alterhatives and then turning it over because of panic

In answer to the frills and the opposition for the drills, Roos varies it, from witches hats to actual contesting and tackling

Edited by The Devil Inside

No, nor exactly, some always covet other teams players, get over it

We have one example last year of a players who was supposedly no good, Nev Jetta, getting fit, doing a full preseason and being played in a position he likes to play in, so let's wait and see shall we

Some others have seen what I am seeing, Ross getting them to perform the same thing over and over again, creating multiple options and taking the simple one, till it becomes second nature, the two incidents, Roos with Tyson and Jones and Terlich were because they didn't do it.

A lot of the so called kicking errors come from the actual decision making rather than the kicking, you can't be on an AFL list if you can't kick .

If Tommy Mc is coming out of defence and he looks up and has the runner(s) exactly where he/they should be coz they have practiced it so many times, he does what is now second nature and kick perfectly to him, like he did yesterday

On match days it will be the same, coz everybody is on the same page, and Roos will be only playing those players who do exactly what they are supposed to do, so we won't have Tommy Mc looking downfield to one on three or four and have no alterhatives and then turning it over because of panic

In answer to the frills and the opposition for the drills, Roos varies it, from witches hats to actual contesting and tackling

Wrong

Daniel Nicholson, Simon Godfrey, Clint Bartram, Jack Grimes, Jordie Mckenzie come to my mind as very ordinary kicks in general. These guys would struggle to hit a target literally 20m away. Their determination and grit is what got them games.

Decision making contributes to that aswell as you said but these guys are drafted purely that they are hard workers and will put in the time and effort in working on their kicking along the way.

• Like 1

Wrong

Daniel Nicholson, Simon Godfrey, Clint Bartram, Jack Grimes, Jordie Mckenzie come to my mind as very ordinary kicks in general. These guys would struggle to hit a target literally 20m away. Their determination and grit is what got them games.

Decision making contributes to that aswell as you said but these guys are drafted purely that they are hard workers and will put in the time and effort in working on their kicking along the way.

Spencil is an appalling kick as well. Doesn't matter how it's painted, the guy can't kick.

I'm not much of a photographer but what they've tried to do with the lighting in the photos of all players is bloody terrible in my opinion.

The photos are carp

There was a bloke from geelong that they had lined up to do some arty black and white shots but he pulled out.

• Like 8