Training - Friday 9th January, 2015

The Devil Inside

Absolutely - 100%.

Was rarely beaten last year.

If he stays injury free, will play all games.

I'd put Jetta down as a lock aswell. He was barely beaten last year too and taking on some of the most dangerous forwards.

You are describing a generational FB - one of the best the game has ever seen - a high standard that is unfair to hold any FB to, and you mention a teammate of his that also does it, and Mackie does it, and Enright, and Corey.

Surely it would be easier for a FB/CHB to help set up play if the entire defence is adept at doing so. Perhaps they were able to do so because their teammates were so adept...

I'm not holding any FB to that standard but also making the point it is not raising the white flag.

You make a good point about the teammates and I expect to see more positive attack from Tommy Mc with better players and system around him.

Like you I think his career is going along just fine.

McDonald's ability to run with his man and then run off and run the ball forward is invaluable. He was vital in the passage of play that led to Salem's goal against the bombers. Not all key backmen are sublime kicks and not many at all have McDonald's running ability.

Edited by Brayshaw Self
  • Like 3

McDonald's ability to run with his man and then run off and run the ball forward is invaluable. He was vital in the passage of play that led to Salem's goal against the bombers.

I know it is well off topic and has been covered before but how cool, calm and collected is Salem taking that kick

His kicking action is a thing a beauty

• Like 2

McDonald's ability to run with his man and then run off and run the ball forward is invaluable. He was vital in the passage of play that led to Salem's goal against the bombers. Not all key backmen are sublime kicks and not many at all have McDonald's running ability.

I could watch that all day.

So good.

• Like 2

That is just unreal stuff.

McKenzie was super important in that play, as was Pedo and obviously and Cross.

Zaharakis was on fire in that game.

Went by myself to that game. One of my favorite matches.

Zaharakis almost won it for them single handed. Couldn't believe he was allowed to get that last clearance. Would have been a heartbreaker if a bomber had marked that kick and then kicked truly.

I know, what a stupid thing to say that you'd respect the ones who could say it to their face. They play a professional sport that is funded by supporters who make them more money the more the game is discussed. They have a choice to give it in if they're uncomfortable with being judged on their performance. They're paid handsomely to compensate for the fact we get the chance to critique. As a stakeholder in my team, and this game as a whole I will continue to press forward my opinion on each and every player with no consideration for whether another poster/person 'respects' me. As long as I'm financial backing this team, I'm also entitled to that say.

By TDIs reasoning, if he's a shareholder in a company, any of the bosses who rock up to work and try their asses off, he won't say a bad word about. They can suck but we, as other shareholders can't vote them out because none of us have ever done their job so god forbid us comment on their ability. It doesn't take Einstein to work out which one of us is misguided.

I don't agree with this. Are you saying that you would be happy with external shareholders in the company you work at rocking up and telling you you are too slow or lack the skills to do the job or that you are paid too much and that because they are shareholders you shpuld listen to them?

As supporters we can say what we think to players and coaches because we as supporters are the reason the club exists. Whether we pay a membership or donate to the club does not make a difference.

Being a shareholder of any company means you can vote on the board and can hold the CEO to account but it in no way affords you any say in operational decisions.

• Like 1

:')

Bollocks. You personally attack most times you respond to other poster's comments. Your reply here is evidence of this.

I know, I'm terrible aren't I, don't know how I sleep at night, on a public forum, tsk tsk

Anyway back on topic, as I said clean slate for every player this season, from what I have seen Tommy Mc is improving his skills, hopefyuly with ereybody improving the ball movement from back to front will be a lot better across the board

Edited by The Devil Inside

Isn't it sad that we live on one play for the whole year.

Yes but what a ripper play it is. It was as good as footy gets; desperate defence, super slick ball movement, brilliant decision making, wonderful teamwork and, to cap it off, beautiful finishing skills.

We can play like that. The trick is for Roos to breed the confidence to do it consistently

• Like 2

Isn't it sad that we live on one play for the whole year.

Just re-watched the narrow loss to port. There were a few good plays there too, including some by players regularly bad-mouthed on here. I'm hoping the players just need a bit more self and team confidence and they will deliver that standard regularly.

Arrow, what I am saying is that there are a lot of heroes both on here and sitting at the ground who continually just carp about certain players, if they had the chance to say it to their face they would go to water, I have no respect for anybody that can't say something to somebody's face

That's such a pathetic argument.

As long as the attack isn't personal then we are well within our rights to pot players for certain reasons, whether that be skill level, commitment on the ground, work ethic etc. It's my right as a supporter and as a member of this club. It's no different than sitting in the pub with a few mates dissecting a loss over a couple of beers - we will praise the good moments and bemoan and criticise those that didn't go well. No-one is going to stop me having a crack at Jordie McKenzie for missing a set shot from 15 metres out by going:

"Sorry but I've lost all respect for you now unless you rock up to training and tell him that to his face." That's simply ludicrous.

You don't have to agree with the criticism of certain players, just as we don't have to agree with your bias towards many. But to say that you don't respect us because we can't say it to their face is childish and short sighted in the extreme.

• Like 12

I find it funny that posters attack saty for the relationships he has with the players.....He loves it and good on him....It is not my cup of tea as I have no wish to know the players or what they are like in their personal lives.

Many years ago my best mate and his family were heavly involved with the StKilda footy club and as we lived near the Moorabbin ground we used to go and watch training and go into the rooms....I met some of their greats..Darryl Baldock,Big Carl, Ian Cooper, Ian Synman....

I even had my photo in the Herald with Ian Steward when he received his 2nd Brownlow. During all this time I had never met a Melbourne player yet still supported them with all my heart and had no wish to change teams because I knew the saints players.

I guess it is each to his own, I will read saty's training reports because I like to know what is happening from afar.

Keep going saty..

• Like 1

I find it funny that posters attack saty for the relationships he has with the players.....He loves it and good on him....It is not my cup of tea as I have no wish to know the players or what they are like in their personal lives.

Many years ago my best mate and his family were heavly involved with the StKilda footy club and as we lived near the Moorabbin ground we used to go and watch training and go into the rooms....I met some of their greats..Darryl Baldock,Big Carl, Ian Cooper, Ian Synman....

I even had my photo in the Herald with Ian Steward when he received his 2nd Brownlow. During all this time I had never met a Melbourne player yet still supported them with all my heart and had no wish to change teams because I knew the saints players.

I guess it is each to his own, I will read saty's training reports because I like to know what is happening from afar.

Keep going saty..

Just don't go discussing any of the players' flaws if you're not prepared to let them know personally. You hero.

• Like 3

As long as the attack isn't personal then we are well within our rights to pot players for certain reasons, whether that be skill level, commitment on the ground, work ethic etc. It's my right as a supporter and as a member of this club. It's no different than sitting in the pub with a few mates dissecting a loss over a couple of beers - we will praise the good moments and bemoan and criticise those that didn't go well. No-one is going to stop me having a crack at Jordie McKenzie for missing a set shot from 15 metres out by going:

"Sorry but I've lost all respect for you now unless you rock up to training and tell him that to his face." That's simply ludicrous.

You don't have to agree with the criticism of certain players, just as we don't have to agree with your bias towards many. But to say that you don't respect us because we can't say it to their face is childish and short sighted in the extreme.

I equate critiquing players with reviewing a movie. Actors/Directors are paid to produce entertainment that we the public pay good money to see. We discuss, criticise and applaud individuals and a performance as a whole. Football is no different.

For me it is all about being constructive.

Calling players wimps, spuds and hacks to me is unnecessary and serves no purpose.

To suggest that Jack Watts impose himself more physically at a contest or McKenzie/Terlich improve their disposal worded respectfully is something footballer should expect as they are being paid to perform and "put on a show".

I do like balance in criticism and also prefer posters who criticise but also praise when praise is earned.

• Like 10

Living in Sydney, I look forward to reading all of Saty's training reports including football-related conversations he has with the players.

That said, I agree with Wiseblood - that someone's not prepared to criticise a player to his face doesn't make that criticism unworthy or mean that it should not be stated here.

• Like 4

Living in Sydney, I look forward to reading all of Saty's training reports including football-related conversations he has with the players.

That said, I agree with Wiseblood - that someone's not prepared to criticise a player to his face doesn't make that criticism unworthy or mean that it should not be stated here.

You'd be interviewing star players all the time as part of your line of work, hey Ron?

;)

• Like 1

at th

I am not biased old chap, I have my opinions on players, I prefer to keep them to myself (no humble pie on my menu), or discuss it with the actual player, they do know their shortcomings.

I just get a bit bored with the sweeping statements without any foundation, eg McKenzie's disposal efficiency from a couple of days ago

I am glad you can sit in the pub, and not be 15 metres out at the G, you ever been in that position?

He was absolutely devastated with that incident, I know because I spoke to him about it, face to face, and he was willing to talk about it

I really don't care what you think, as you only post on a public forum, so like me you don't really matter

• Like 1

Just don't go discussing any of the players' flaws if you're not prepared to let them know personally. You hero.

I get your opinion......."You hero"....I don't get why you added that....Care to explain why I am a hero?????for having an opinion?.......Wow....
  • Like 1

I get your opinion......."You hero"....I don't get why you added that....Care to explain why I am a hero?????for having an opinion?.......Wow....

It just seems some people are unable to have a discussion without personal abuse Bossdog.

You would think we would be used to it by now.

I guess the surprising thing is I am still surprised!

• Like 2

You are my hero... :wub:

• Like 2