Potential Trades [Warning: Reading this thread may self-destruct]

Dr evil

His stats after coming back from suspension:

Round 17 v Fremantle: 15 Kicks, 20 Handballs, 7 Marks, 3 Tackles, Goal. 132 Supercoach/Champion Data points.

Round 18 v Geelong: 11 Kicks, 21 Handballs. 107 Supercoach/Champion Data points.

Round 19 v Richmond: 9 Kicks, 18 Handballs, 10 Tackles. 117 Supercoach/Champion Data points.

Round 20 v North: 10 Kicks, 25 Handballs, 9 Marks, 5 Tackles. 161 Supercoach/Champion Data points.

Round 21 v Melbourne: 16 Kicks, 13 Handballs, 9 Marks, 7 tackles. 111 Supercoach/Champion Data points.

Round 22 v Collingwood: 30 Kicks, 12 Handballs, 7 Marks, 5 Tackles, Goal. 141 Supercoach/Champion Data points.

Round 23 v Dogs: 20 Kicks, 12 Handballs, 8 Marks, 5 Tackles, Goal. 131 Supercoach/Champion Data points.

4899429947_b60fb08e94.jpg

Get him.

• Like 2

If we got pick 6 for Howe, Roos would be doing backflips off his hotel balcony.

Technically he owns a house so he would be doing backflips off his own balcony!

Get me thinking...could Howe be the replacement for Trenners in try to trade for another high pick?

For mine I'd love to see him play in a stronger Dees team and use his marking more offensively.

• Like 1

It would be simpler on your scenario to do 3 and 23 for Greene and 4, guaranteeing both Brayshaw and Lever, as GWS would want Petracca and then a Boyd replacement, McCartin or Wright.

Yes 3 and 23 would be simpler from our point of view, but if you are dealing with a bunch of red neck yobo's who love the status of having the first two or 3 draft picks in every draft then you give them the earlier pick to keep them happy as long as they agree to not touch the player we want.

• Like 1

I know we went cold on Merrett but why not Merrett for 23? Another experienced player, wouldn't be too expensive, is very aggressive, takes more pressure off Hogan and stops other teams for double teaming Dawes all year... if that's overs for him, Brisbane could send back a later pick and we secure Frost with it.

We can then take another player with pick 2 in the PSD.

Edited by Lamashtu
  • Like 2

Thank Christ the majority of you lot weren't around in the trenches in WW1 and fighting off the northern invasion in WW2. I have never seen such a group of weak lily livered defeatists.

Oh why me

Every cloud has a silver lining look at Brisbane last season when a large group of their players wanted out

Fair comparison, Japan and Germany have recovered quite well from both of those events. Long live the MFC. Edited by Cards13

MELBOURNE has nixed any suggestion that it is still working on a deal involving its prized No.2 and No.3 picks at next month's NAB AFL National Draft.

Demons football manager Josh Mahoney told NAB Trade Radio on Wednesday that once it became clear that stars such as Adelaide's Patrick Dangerfield could not be lured to the club, the decision was made to hold on to the picks.

"It's not likely to happen," Mahoney said. "There are only a small number of players you would use them for.

"We went hard early, but once we were told 'no' then we decided to use the opportunity to bring in some high-end young talent into the club.

"There will be some good free agents this time next year and we will go hard at those," he said.

This was on the AFL site.

If we have now decided to get some high end talent, then the only deal we may be interested in, is one that gets us a good mid and costs 3 and 23 but, with a pick back that could guarantee the player we want to take at 3. It seems that GWS is the most likely trade partner again in that sort of deal.

If for example we wanted Lever at 3 and you could get say Greene and Frost for 3 and 23 with 4 back and a guarantee to leave Lever, that would get us a good player. The guarantee wouldn't be hard to get, as I think GWS want a tall to replace Boyd meaning McCartin and Wright are the likely target. They would also have 23 to use which is just outside first round.

You could not otherwise get Greene and Frost is done as well. You end up with Brayshaw, Greene, Lever and Frost for 2,3 and 23.

That would be a great outcome.

Then you could go after someone like Merrett for example in the PSD, if you could convince Lions to let him go to PSD for salary cap relief, on the agreement we honour his contract and maybe give him a bit more as a sweetener.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 2

MELBOURNE has nixed any suggestion that it is still working on a deal involving its prized No.2 and No.3 picks at next month's NAB AFL National Draft.

Demons football manager Josh Mahoney told NAB Trade Radio on Wednesday that once it became clear that stars such as Adelaide's Patrick Dangerfield could not be lured to the club, the decision was made to hold on to the picks.

"It's not likely to happen," Mahoney said. "There are only a small number of players you would use them for.

"We went hard early, but once we were told 'no' then we decided to use the opportunity to bring in some high-end young talent into the club.

"There will be some good free agents this time next year and we will go hard at those," he said.

This was on the AFL site.

If we have now decided to get some high end talent, then the only deal we may be interested in, is one that gets us a good mid and costs 3 and 23 but, with a pick back that could guarantee the player we want to take at 3. It seems that GWS is the most likely trade partner again in that sort of deal.

If for example we wanted Lever at 3 and you could get say Greene and Frost for 3 and 23 with 4 back and a guarantee to leave Lever, that would get us a good player. The guarantee wouldn't be hard to get, as I think GWS want a tall to replace Boyd meaning McCartin and Wright are the likely target. They would also have 23 to use which is just outside first round.

You could not otherwise get Greene and Frost is done as well. You end up with Brayshaw, Greene, Lever and Frost for 2,3 and 23.

That would be a great outcome.

Then you could go after someone like Merrett for example in the PSD, if you could convince Lions to let him go to PSD for salary cap relief, on the agreement we honour his contract and maybe give him a bit more as a sweetener.

I can see them saying, so you wanted Lever at 3 hey? Great, well knowing that we'll just keep Greene (who's probably worth a mid to late 1st rounder on football talent, despite off field dramas that happened in Melbourne) & you keep 23 & take Frost in the PSD. Cause that's all it essentially is, Greene & Frost for 23.

Not sure it's all done with yet.

A number of clubs may want to try to trade into the top end of the draft and even pick 23 would be valuable to at least a few clubs.

If we end up hanging on to picks 2, 3 & 23 I'll be a bit surprised. Preliminary discussions may have been had quite some time ago based on the current scenario eventuating.

GWS seems the most likely suitor given they've traded with us in the 2 previous off seasons but we could end up trading with any number of clubs.

We've done some chasing now the clubs might come to us. In fact, I feel sure they will, but much will depend on what they're offering. Clubs know that we're in the market for some experienced & talented midfielders and there might just be an eleventh hour deal.

Mahoney saying "It's not likely to happen" leaves the door open.

Indicative order for 2014 NAB AFL Draft

If we got pick 6 for Howe, Roos would be doing backflips off his hotel balcony.

It easily gets you Dangerfield too, if we're to believe that another early first rounder is all it would have taken to secure his services (doubtful).

We should have traded Howe last year anyway.

• Like 1

The quote I thought was the most interesting from the Josh Mahoney interview:

""He has developed well at GWS and if we can get a deal tomorrow that is a priority for us, otherwise we will use the pre-season draft to get him," Mahoney said."

It may be the conspiracy theorist in me, but if we don't rate him at pick 23, how would we get a deal done? Especially when he sounds so confident of getting him through the PSD?

GWS's list contracts by 2 and you have to use 3 picks in the ND(5 players out minimum). They've brought in 2(7 players out minimum). They've gotten rid of 6 and Frost will make 7. Interesting part is they've committed to Jack Steele at 24 and Jeremy Finlayson with their last pick. With picks 4,6,7 Steele and Finlayson in the draft they will need to get rid of 2 more players. Possibility of turning pick 2 (Petracca) & 23 in to 6,7 and Frost, while retaining pick 3 for Brayshaw?

Edited by Beats

I know we went cold on Merrett but why not Merrett for 23? Another experienced player, wouldn't be too expensive, is very aggressive, takes more pressure off Hogan and stops other teams for double teaming Dawes all year... if that's overs for him, Brisbane could send back a later pick and we secure Frost with it.

We can then take another player with pick 2 in the PSD.

Overs. No, thanks.

Can't understand the anti Howe sentiment. Thought he had a good year overall in defence.

I believe the plan is to return him up forward next season now that Lamumba is available to play across half back.

He has been one of the few players to provide any highlights and make watching enjoyable the past few years.

I would hate to see him traded.

• Like 3

just read the comments you big wuss.

lol yeah I should....but rather just fire off half cocked all scatter gun like, at the horrible situation we are in as a football club. Then I think at least we aren't Essendon! With all the stuff that's coming there ways and I feel decidedly better.

Can't understand the anti Howe sentiment. Thought he had a good year overall in defence.

I believe the plan is to return him up forward next season now that Lamumba is available to play across half back.

He has been one of the few players to provide any highlights and make watching enjoyable the past few years.

I concur. His tweet did raise an eyebrow. His marking should be a great attacking weapon half forward in a much improved Dees outfit.

I love Howe, but for pick 5/6 that could help land a big star I would trade him everyday of the week and twice tomorrow.

• Like 1

I love Howe, but for pick 5/6 that could help land a big star I would trade him everyday of the week and twice tomorrow.

Be very surprised to be offered 5/6 for him. I like him but he's not that good so I don't see the point in trying to trade him.

We would probably get a second round pick and for that he's a keep.

...or shyt happens and the trades they wanted just couldn't get done. It doesn't mean they didn't do their jobs properly.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. However it doesn't change the fact that we haven't achieved what we were hoping for.

Part of the angst felt by people like myself is the hope that a spike in performance to stop the bleeding from FA. I fear for our ability to keep Hogan for example. And in reality, we don't just need to stop the exodus, we need to become a destination club. Long, long way to go.

Edited by Radar Detector
  • Like 1

I've never rated him. But that's just me. Each to their own. He's courageous and has a great pair of hands, but goes missing too easily and often.

• Like 2

Be very surprised to be offered 5/6 for him. I like him but he's not that good so I don't see the point in trying to trade him.

We would probably get a second round pick and for that he's a keep.

I've been saying the last 2 seasons Howey is worth more than his AFL trade pick value to GWS out in Western Sydney, for his crowd wowing feats.

we need new hard headed kids to teach, as our real future Leaders under the Roos/Stone team. most of our players who've been here more than 3 season have been tainted with our old cultural virus.

Hogan Tyson Viney toumpas etc will be fine, as will our new Mature group of Dawes Crossy, Vince, etc.

players like Howey & Watts need a fresh change to lose the virus.

To get this new band of future leaders, we need to trade some with ability to get the change happening.

We must stop stalling the change, & get it into full swing. If we can get P-6 for Howey, we should go for it.... Howe for P-6 + Frost?

Edited by dee-luded

Thank Christ the majority of you lot weren't around in the trenches in WW1 and fighting off the northern invasion in WW2. I have never seen such a group of weak lily livered defeatists.

Thank Christ only true supporters were allowed to fight in those wars. My grandfather had to produce evidence of ten consecutive years as a member of a VFL team before he was allowed to go bayoneting the Japanese.

That's what made us great. Membership of a football club and 18 inches of sharpened steel.

• Like 1

Thank Christ only true supporters were allowed to fight in those wars. My grandfather had to produce evidence of ten consecutive years as a member of a VFL team before he was allowed to go bayoneting the Japanese.

That's what made us great. Membership of a football club and 18 inches of sharpened steel.

They had a lot worse things to worry about then missing out on the messiah who was going to catapult the club into the finals, you face adversity and when things don't go your way you pick yourself up and go again.

But no lets whinge about our woes which in the big scheme of things are not life threatening