GOODBYE MITCH CLARK

Mods - Can this thread be locked. The sensitive nature of Mitch's illness and retirement should be respected, as the media have done, and while it is a valid question much of the speculation on here is unhelpful.

• Like 6

The only thing I found interesting was that he was advised to stay in Melbourne for the best treatment, rather than going back to Western Australia.

With the exposure to mental illness that I've had, I wouldn't have thought this would be the case.

Given I know nothing of Mitch's personal circumstances, I'm not contributing anything to this thread (one of few that can admit that!), but just thought that part of this story was interesting.

I am told he has not ruled out playing AFL next year, and if he does he is a delisted free agent and will nominate Melbourne. I am told he is not considering playing for any other team. Don't get excited this is still a long shot.

• Like 17

As much I would love the great man back in the red and blue I don't think it's worth the risk of him trying.

If he was put back on a list the media would be relentless around him placing him in an awful environment.

Furthermore, if he got through that, busted a gut getting through pre-season and then hurt himself badly round 1 can anyone imagine how distraught he would be??

I've put him in the Jacko, Jurrah, Schwartz category. Bright flames that burnt to quickly.

I s'pose we should all just stay in bed all day then.

That's not quite the thought process I was aiming at Chook.

I'd say the awful head space Mitch found himself in is due to the scrutiny, media and Mitch's own pressure that he puts upon himself to perform. The dark place it put him in gave him no other option than retiring.

A bit of leave, or continuing on the LTI I could understand us all having faith he would return but the extremity to actually retire and walk away from the game to improve ones mental health I just wonder why someone would entertain the thought of a comeback.

I still hold hope he will be back but I don't believe it will happen.

If his plan was to go to Freo, it makes zero sense for him to come to us begging to reneg on his contract and retire. He'd find an amicable way to get a trade out west, so we end up getting something out of it.

It would be the dog act of the century and he'd probably go down as one of the most despised players of all time. That isn't Mitch Clark.

IF he decided he wanted to play for Freo then surely he would have wanted to remain on our list and be part of a trade. - a potential win win win for all involved.

As it stands (I believe) his only option would be to go into a draft and risk having to play at Blacktown with $cully

IF he decided he wanted to play for Freo then surely he would have wanted to remain on our list and be part of a trade. - a potential win win win for all involved.

As it stands (I believe) his only option would be to go into a draft and risk having to play at Blacktown with $cully

He will be a delisted free agent and able to sign with whoever he chooses.

There could be some sort of agreement between him and the club. Perhaps its something along the lines of if he does decide to have another crack, he nominates us.
Otherwise, we might have opted to keep him on the list and trade him if thats what he wanted.

or, the club did the right thing for mitch's illness, which may have required a complete departure from the club in order for his rehab to be most effective.

Highest bidder?

Probably. And I don't begrudge him if that's the case. He'd get the same questions anywhere really. They might just be more succinct somewhere else!

just saw a commercial saying Mitch Clark will break his silence on the footy show this week...

Possibly part of his exit package, just like the Ultra Tune (?) ad looked part of his entry package.

Does he need the money? He should have plenty in the bank after all and he is building a new career in photography I believe.

I find this strange.

Retires , with depression to get his head right , yet goes on the Footy show Two months later?

Does he need the money? He should have plenty in the bank after all and he is building a new career in photography I believe.

I find this strange.

Retires , with depression to get his head right , yet goes on the Footy show Two months later?

As I said earlier, I would think it's part of the exit package for him in not only paying him but giving him opportunities to earn, like the ad he did when he first came over.

Also, maybe he wants to share his experience to help others with similar problems? He doesn't have to disappear forever now.

• Like 3

I find this strange.

Maybe he is feeling in a far better place now mentally , and wishes to thank the footy world for their support, and / or to help raise awareness of the issues. .

• Like 6

I find this strange.

Maybe he is feeling in a far better place now mentally , and wishes to thank the footy world for their support, and / or to help raise awareness of the issues. .

• Like 1

Yeah, possible.

I guess we will all have to tune in and see.

Wouldnt you love him to say that he hasnt completely given up hope of playing for the Dees again one day.

Mitch Clark would absolutely thrive in this current team with the way they're starting to play.

• Like 2