Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

GOODBYE MITCH CLARK

Watching Clark last night, he is very vulnerable, still, atmo.

I'd say its highly Unlikely he will be able to make it back to AFL. the pressure will be too much IMO.

you are floundering in the dark d-l. you have no more idea than any of us

some sportsmen with depression have made it back in the past, many others haven't

only time will tell and all this postulating is just an ignorant waste of time

one thing we can agree on is we all hope he gets well and if that means he resumes his career then great

• Like 1

People do not "recover" from depression. They learn to manage it with specific medication in most cases.

Mitch getting the help he needs is the big step.

He could play again. I hope it is not against us!

• Like 1

People do not "recover" from depression. They learn to manage it with specific medication in most cases.

Mitch getting the help he needs is the big step.

He could play again. I hope it is not against us!

Environmental and family/friends support is a big help. He will definitely get more of that over there than over here.

So they just showed some of the interview on 9 news and said couldn't rule out a comeback... That's enough for me.

this is the thing with a serious depression, you just don't know what level of functionality you've get back. and I know from experience, that the tolerance to pressure/stress was lowered, & are more prone to it in future circumstances.

I'd say 90/10 against him returning successfully.

Yes I picked that up to. Didn't realise it had got to that.

I'm sure, he didn't either, until it hit him on the scone. it sneaks up on you. some don't ever get to realise this. instinct can be bad sometimes.

some sportsmen with depression have made it back in the past, many others haven't

one thing we can agree on is we all hope he gets well and if that means he resumes his career then great

I know very well daisy. I've spent a lifetime knowing it. & been around all the teachers coaches doctors, & others in groups, & was even asked to help facilitate, in the mens groups.

So yes I know extremely well.

I was doing this stuff well before Jimma ever did, & for much longer.

Edited by dee-luded

I know very well daisy. I've spent a lifetime knowing it. & been around all the teachers coaches doctors, & others in groups, & was even asked to help facilitate, in the mens groups.

So yes I know extremely well.

I was doing this stuff well before Jimma ever did, & for much longer.

d-l you have no special insight into mitch's particular situation.....none of us do

you just can't draw realistic conclusions from watching a few minutes of video

So this is where Mitch is at.

Since getting help his mental state has dramatically improved. This is clear for all to see. However, as others have pointed out clinical depression is a difficult beast that is not cured rather it is managed. We all hope Mitch learns to manage his depression so as he never falls to the depth of despair he did earlier this year. Getting professional help and reliving himself of the pressure of AFL football while he heals was the best thing he could have done.

Mitch has let the MFC know that he still harbours the desire to play AFL football in fact he never ruled it out, but he is under no illusion of how far he must come to get back to an AFL level and that he may for both physical and mental reasons never make it. Mitch has asked Misson to put him on long term program to condition his body back for a possible return to football at some level. Mitch has begun this training. It is a slow conditioning 12 month program. If things are going well both physically and mentally Mitch will consider making himself available for a rookie list position at the end of the year. However, he may decide he would prefer no pressure and decide to play local football next season. He may be unable to condition his body, he may relapse into depression in which case his retirement is permanent.

Only one thing is certain, if he does decide to pursue AFL ambitions again it will only be for the MFC. He will not be returning to WA, he does not want to play for any other club.

Edited by Grand New Flag
  • Like 21

d-l you have no special insight into mitch's particular situation.....none of us do

you just can't draw realistic conclusions from watching a few minutes of video

oh really, I think you have a lot to learn DC.

when the teachers/doctors were teaching me, I was studying them. Unbeknown to me at that time, I learned from them, and about them, to their surprise. a little bit like profiling I guess.

after 20 years of learning, you start to learn a lot more than just the lesson. I learn more so subconsciously, I've discovered, because my damage hinders my conscious.

Like a child learns without realising it. It seeps thru into the subconscious. And the inquiring type mind queries internally everything, & analyses Everything to a point of deep understanding.

I am not a good student, as I don't read very well & listen with difficulty to long winded messages, & my mind wants to explore everything on all angles at the once I get the info, distracting from my focus. So the focus happens in the background, studying it all thoroughly. but slower than other good students, who think more quickly, but more narrowly.

So yes I do understand & I can no doubt see a lot more in that video than you DC. I see lots in images & body language. I had to learn to, in my intimidated/terrified upbringing.

*I don't know Mitch's details obviously, but I can see very well, he is know where near playing again; & even his gym work will need to be easy & fun, & not competative. No strain of competition of any sort or he will flop.

Edited by dee-luded

oh really, I think you have a lot to learn DC.

don't be so bloody presumptuous d-l

just because i don't advertise my exposure/experiences with depression doesn't give you the right to judge it (especially erroneously in this case)

Since getting help his mental state has dramatically improved. This is clear for all to see. However, as others have pointed out clinical depression is a difficult beast that is not cured rather it is managed. We all hope Mitch learns to manage his depression so as he never falls to the depth of despair he did earlier this year. Getting professional help and reliving himself of the pressure of AFL football while he heals was the best thing he could have done.

Mitch has let the MFC know that he still harbours the desire to play AFL football in fact he never ruled it out, but he is under no illusion of how far he must come to get back to an AFL level and that he may for both physical and mental reasons never make it. Mitch has asked Minnson to put him on long term program to condition his body back for a possible return to football at some level. Mitch has begun this training. It is a slow conditioning 12 month program. If things are going well both physically and mentally Mitch will consider making himself available for a rookie list position at the end of the year. However, he may decide he would prefer no pressure and decide to play local football next season. He may be unable to condition his body, he may relapse into depression in which case his retirement is permanent.

Only one thing is certain, if he does decide to pursue AFL ambitions again it will only be for the MFC. He will not be returning to WA, he does not want to play for any other club.

Just one minor comment (and I love your stuff GNF!) about depression.

"Clinical depression" is just "depression" - if depression is not at a "clinical" level, then it is not depression. Depression is episodic - it comes and goes. Around about 20 - 30% of people with depression on a waiting list for treatment recover spontaneously. Repeated depressive episodes create a vulnerability to relapse (just like people suffering repeated injuries can keep doing them). Depression can be treated successfully in the majority of cases. There are a number of treatments with high quality evidence about their efficacy. And finally, depression is influenced by variables such as situation, personality, levels of social support etc.

I want to be completely clear that depression in the majority of cases can be treated successfully and be resolved. Completely. Yes the person is marked by the experience, but that does not mean that they are some vulnerable emotional egg-shell waiting for life to crack them. Treatments work and recovery is commonplace. Yes, it is bloody hard, but this happens and happens routinely.

• Like 11

don't be so bloody presumptuous d-l

just because i don't advertise my exposure/experiences with depression doesn't give you the right to judge it (especially erroneously in this case)

just responding to yours mate.

you have no idea of the things I've learn't, nor the depth of my learning, & the length & breadth of my study. over the years.

so you were being presumptuous & dismissive in your early post.

# edit & it just dawned on me, your word "advertise", how insulting & narrow your skeptical view.

I don't "advertise" my issues, I volunteer them; in a hope people will learn from & understand better about the mental illness of Anxiety/Depression, & in a deep hope to aid in some way, the breaking down of the so-called stigma's that some of the public have of an ordinary & common, but very difficult illness.

so my 'aim', is out of a generous spirit and a defiance of the misguided negativity, to put my experiences out there in view. no skeletons here from me.

Edited by dee-luded

Watching Clark last night, he is very vulnerable, still, atmo.

I'd say its highly Unlikely he will be able to make it back to AFL. the pressure will be too much IMO.

... and my idea of posting this Is because my thinking is that Mitch would be better off without all this speculating about a possible comeback.

He is better off in obscurity without any people querying him about it. just relaxing & enjoying things without any stress. getting the chemical balance back to normal a possible.

luckily imo its not been a really long time in his health.

• Like 1

... and my idea of posting this Is because my thinking is that Mitch would be better off without all this speculating about a possible comeback.

He is better off in obscurity without any people querying him about it. just relaxing & enjoying things without any stress. getting the chemical balance back to normal a possible.

luckily imo its not been a really long time in his health.

ok d-l. you are psychic. you can make judgements from a 2 minute video. i'm impressed.

Mitch has let the MFC know that he still harbours the desire to play AFL football in fact he never ruled it out, but he is under no illusion of how far he must come to get back to an AFL level and that he may for both physical and mental reasons never make it. Mitch has asked Misson to put him on long term program to condition his body back for a possible return to football at some level. Mitch has begun this training. It is a slow conditioning 12 month program. If things are going well both physically and mentally Mitch will consider making himself available for a rookie list position at the end of the year. However, he may decide he would prefer no pressure and decide to play local football next season. He may be unable to condition his body, he may relapse into depression in which case his retirement is permanent.

Black Rock is looking for a full forward Mitch, you are more than welcome. In fact the gala ball is on tonight in Sandy, come in down.

ok d-l. you are psychic. you can make judgements from a 2 minute video. i'm impressed.

no, daisy... not psychic... nothing to do with it. people who can read body language aren't psychics. & I'm not a body language expert.

but I can see the people who are hiding things, & I can deduce subconsciously when they aren't well, via their Bodylanguage/Words/Tone/Expression etc...

I can tell straight off from that Vid', that Clarky is still just beginning, & is NoWhere near any sort of return. he needs peace & recovery time. I would be surprised if anything inside 2 years.

part of recovery is learning about the illness mechanics, & about your own areas causing the stress & inner negative pressure. most won't be aware they have these inner negatives.

.... you don't have to be competative about who can do what DC. I'm not putting you down, & I have absolutely No doubt that you will be far better than me At many things in life. And I'm happy with, & about that.

I no longer have to be the best against others At anything. Just want to be happy with what I do, & be able to be helpful, to anyone, & all.

I've got to a point where I don't wish to compete with others. I just want to put the things I've learned, to good & free use, to others.

no, daisy... not psychic... nothing to do with it. people who can read body language aren't psychics. & I'm not a body language expert.

but I can see the people who are hiding things, & I can deduce subconsciously when they aren't well, via their Bodylanguage/Words/Tone/Expression etc...

I can tell straight off from that Vid', that Clarky is still just beginning, & is NoWhere near any sort of return. he needs peace & recovery time. I would be surprised if anything inside 2 years.

part of recovery is learning about the illness mechanics, & about your own areas causing the stress & inner negative pressure. most won't be aware they have these inner negatives.

.... you don't have to be competative about who can do what DC. I'm not putting you down, & I have absolutely No doubt that you will be far better than me At many things in life. And I'm happy with, & about that.

I no longer have to be the best against others At anything. Just want to be happy with what I do, & be able to be helpful, to anyone, & all.

I've got to a point where I don't wish to compete with others. I just want to put the things I've learned, to good & free use, to others.

Black Rock is looking for a full forward Mitch, you are more than welcome. In fact the gala ball is on tonight in Sandy, come in down.

hows the O'Keefes & Dunns?

say hello to Leo if he's there. (sorry about his young brother).

don't ask who.

Edited by dee-luded

Personally I just live in hope he'll play for us again.

Me too.

Both because it means he's fit & healthy both physically and emotionally, and because he is a gun forward who will make us significantly better.

If Mitch is back in red & blue it is a massive win for absolutely everyone!

• Like 1

Umm ...yes.. yes they do recover. And in many (most) cases it is temporary and ongoing medication is not required.

However in some cases it can be re-occurring and triggers need to be carefully monitored. In more severe cases as you point out there is life long management with medication.

Depression has a very wide scale and breadths of severity.

• Like 2

My depression cost me a job that I really loved. Whilst I can empathise with Mitch's predicament I would never presume to understand it. Depression is different for each individual. It has some common elements but the experience and outcomes vary so widely that it's dangerous to try and make definitive statements. I'm back in a job that I enjoy but I'm never sure when I'm going to be bitten by the black dog. Maybe we should all just wish him well and move on.

• Like 18