Melbourne asks for draft assistance

dees189227

Yeah no chance of getting one now.

Good to see the afl ignoring their own criteria.

My reading of rule 19 is that it goes to the commission for recommendation NOT the head of football ops.

Also, no mention is made of games that could have been won...you know, 22 every season.

Just ridiculous. Afl making sure we won't get one.

No one will ever again I believe based upon this.

We won 4 ... should have won 2. Bombers and Crows games we stole. They both had many many more possessions and inside 50s abd scoring shots. We have been thrashed and often in damage control. The only club not to score 100 points in a game for a season for over 20 years. We have been bottom 4 in 6 of the 8 years and last Victorian team for 7/8 years.

We are now 8 years in drought. A whole generation is walking away from AFL and the Demons. My kids love AFL but follow Melbourne Victory and Melbourne Storm and of course the EPL with Liverpool the current favorite.

The Schwab/Connolly/Bailey/Prendergast regine screwed up 2007-10.

Why are we suffering for Clark and Jurrahs unexpected departure from footy. Free agency has seen us lose Moloney and Rivers and Sylvia and Frawley likely.

We need a pick at the end of the 1st round, pick 20 which must be traded. I agree not pick 1. This is equalisation. Why ask other clubs. It is dog v dog.

I've got no issue not getting a pp so long as Frawley's compo pick is 3.

Mike Sheahan on the couch said he believed deal is done with Cats for 5 years at $500k per year or $2.5m total.

Garry hinted at same on FC a couple of weeks ago.

Looking like Cats.

That figure and duration and his age ensure a first round compo pick.

Evans will say 2 and 3 will take away need for a PP with Hogan back and young players improving, completely ignoring the AFL's own criteria and University Professor who was to assess need.

Mike Sheahan on the couch said he believed deal is done with Cats for 5 years at $500k per year or $2.5m total.

Looking like Cats.

Evans will say 2 and 3 will take away need for a PP with Hogan back and young players improving, completely ignoring the AFL's own criteria and University Professor who was to assess need.

they rolled the ..Hogan is on line next season line already...Bit rich to roll it out again Id have thought ( not that they mightnt)

Looking like Cats.

Who is this professor by the way. Mark Evans dressed up as Professor Ratbaggy? Edited by Earl Hood
  • Like 1

Gil is just vague...period

What you guys don't realise is that you don't get to the top of a big organisation without delegating these tasks. If the shiite hits the fan you shoot the messenger. That's how you stay in the top job.

Lesson over,

• Like 1

Looking like Cats.

I think it's a fair compromise. Frawley is only worth an end of first round compo pick in my opinion, but the AFL will ensure it's pick 3.

Would everyone prefer picks 2, 19 (Frawley) and 20 (Priority Pick)? I'd take picks 2 & 3 (Frawley and PP rolled together) any day. Arguably Roos can turn pick 3 into two top 10 picks if he's clever.

Yeah, in a perfect world the AFL would follow its own stupid rules and give us both, but we all know that won't happen. We all know by now the priorities of the AFL are elsewhere, for a certain four teams a little north of Victoria. Indeed, how abhorrent of us to ask for a priority pick, yet totally fine that in any given year the Swans have exclusive access to some of the best players in the country regardless of where they finish on the ladder? This year they'll nab a player with pick 18 who would otherwise go in the top 5.

Edited by Lamashtu
  • Like 2

I wonder how many people actually know how many priority picks Melbourne has received since 2007. I reckon the footy world thinks we have have 4+ the fact is we have had 2, one end of first round and one before first round. Through the Hawthorn rebuild they got 3 before round 1 picks from 2001-2005, Carlton got 4 before first round picks between 2003-2007. Most clubs have been able over a 4 year period point it in the right direction, we are now entering into 5 years since our last Priority pick, 8 years of bad football and our 3rd season in a row with less than 4.5 wins. Thats 5 years of the 8 we have won less that 4.5 games, with one year, 2007 we won 5.

Carlton was suspended from the draft for Cheating the salary cap and still got Priority picks.

Others have already commented, but just wanted to say thanks drdrake for a very clear (albeit depressing) summary of the situation.

Wish somebody could get that message home to the morons in the media. Trouble is most of them - not to mention other clubs CEOs - are quite happy to let us stew down in the pits. They justify their position by saying its all our own fault.

Frawley compo is a completely separate matter. If he offered as is being floated 5 years at $500k by the Cats, at his age he is worth pick 3 in his own right under the FA compensation rules. We don't need to thank the AFL for losing our 4th free agent and being compensated for it under a pre determined formula.

It also can't be forgotten we get pick 2 because we are a poor side and came second last in the comp. Those that say we are already getting pick 2 and 3 usually ignore why.

• Like 4

The argument about wasted picks in the past is baloney - Jackson and Roos are better credentialed - the Tyson and pick 9 for pick 2 last year is a winner re Tyson - time will tell re Salem.

The argument about "tanking" is baloney - MFC have been penalised and so many other clubs did it without penalty.

MFC's win loss ratio over the last 8 years, the recent Lions and GWS debacles and the pain of sitting thru the Eagles game on Sat nite make me certain that if MFC don't qualify for assistance by way of a priority pick - NO-ONE will ever qualify for a priority pick.

(do the idiots at the AFL seriously want Melb consistently being thrashed on T V and only masochists like us not switching over to a rubbish movie?)

It is not only in the draft that the new franchises have hurt us.

GCS have hosted home games at MS for nearly all the big Vic clubs: Richmond, Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood, Carlton. This means they are getting packed houses and great game day revenue from the gate etc. This is also great for their sponsors and of course good for membership. Of the big Vic clubs we hosted only Collingwood (and even that is considered a gratuity by some) and Geelong.

The result is revenue that we may have and exposure that our sponsors may have is going to GSC (and probably GWS). Not to mention the impact on membership.

We all know that off-field fixturing etc will only improve when on-field does but the AFL has done us no favours by taking home games against the big Vic teams away and givent them to the new teams. I hope they look at this when deciding a pp.

• Like 1

The argument about wasted picks in the past is baloney - Jackson and Roos are better credentialed - the Tyson and pick 9 for pick 2 last year is a winner re Tyson - time will tell re Salem.

The argument about "tanking" is baloney - MFC have been penalised and so many other clubs did it without penalty.

MFC's win loss ratio over the last 8 years, the recent Lions and GWS debacles and the pain of sitting thru the Eagles game on Sat nite make me certain that if MFC don't qualify for assistance by way of a priority pick - NO-ONE will ever qualify for a priority pick.

(do the idiots at the AFL seriously want Melb consistently being thrashed on T V and only masochists like us not switching over to a rubbish movie?)

I'm sure the next time one of the Big Boys find themselves down in the cellar they'll be demanding (and getting) a PP.

It's just the riff raff who don't deserve it (my god, as I write this, it seems like something out of Evelyn Waugh - I suppose there's not much point in being a member of the elite if you haven't got a peasant or two bowing and scraping before you)

What you guys don't realise is that you don't get to the top of a big organisation without delegating these tasks. If the shiite hits the fan you shoot the messenger. That's how you stay in the top job.

Lesson over,

Hear you...but he's REALLY vague. Im not convinced he's nearly across much of these things as he ought to be..

Frawley compo is a completely separate matter. If he offered as is being floated 5 years at $500k by the Cats, at his age he is worth pick 3 in his own right under the FA compensation rules. We don't need to thank the AFL for losing our 4th free agent and being compensated for it under a pre determined formula.

It also can't be forgotten we get pick 2 because we are a poor side and came second last in the comp. Those that say we are already getting pick 2 and 3 usually ignore why.

correct - connecting a free agent compensation pick with a priority pick is a nonsense.

We will get whatever pick we get for Frawley because the market has determined his worth. If we get pick 3 for Frawley then by the AFL's own formula it has been determined that we are losing a top 10 pick footballer. We are not being gifted a pick for nothing - we are losing a valuable footballer.

Whether you want to keep or are happy to see him go - we are losing a footballer that has taken the 4th most marks in the league.

What needs to be factored into compensation for a free agency pick is that unless you can trade it for a ready made footballer - ( not always the case) - you are usually trading a footballer that can make an immediate impact ( Frawley/Franklin/Thomas etc) for a draft pick that in most cases will need 3 seasons plus to be playing consistent top level football. You are losing a known for a series of unknowns.

• Like 2

Hear you...but he's REALLY vague. Im not convinced he's nearly across much of these things as he ought to be..

Don't be fooled. Gill did the last two TV rights deal and is by all reports a very cool and tough negotiator. He was handed a c rapola sandwhich over the melb tanking debacle by Demetriou.

He might come across as vague but I suspect its because he's new in the job and is trying to ensure he doesn't put a foot wrong...

Don't be fooled. Gill did the last two TV rights deal and is by all reports a very cool and tough negotiator. He was handed a c rapola sandwhich over the melb tanking debacle by Demetriou.

He might come across as vague but I suspect its because he's new in the job and is trying to ensure he doesn't put a foot wrong...

Still looks like twit to me jnr.

• Like 3

I wonder how many people actually know how many priority picks Melbourne has received since 2007. I reckon the footy world thinks we have have 4+ the fact is we have had 2, one end of first round and one before first round. Through the Hawthorn rebuild they got 3 before round 1 picks from 2001-2005, Carlton got 4 before first round picks between 2003-2007. Most clubs have been able over a 4 year period point it in the right direction, we are now entering into 5 years since our last Priority pick, 8 years of bad football and our 3rd season in a row with less than 4.5 wins. Thats 5 years of the 8 we have won less that 4.5 games, with one year, 2007 we won 5.

Carlton was suspended from the draft for Cheating the salary cap and still got Priority picks.

Melb has received 3 PP. 2 Before first round, 1 after 1st round. - Sylvia, Blease Scully

Haw has received 2 PP. Both before first round. Roughead, Ellis.

Melb has received 3 PP. 2 Before first round, 1 after 1st round. - Sylvia, Blease Scully

Seems they pick way better

I'm pretty sure Hodge was also a priority pick in 2001.

I was looking at the rebuild periods of clubs, thats why I didn't include Sylvia, I based it from 2007

I was looking at the rebuild periods of clubs, thats why I didn't include Sylvia, I based it from 2007

think he was pick 1 not a PP

correction...WAS a pp

Edited by beelzebub

Hawks got pick 1 (and pick 20 – Daniel Elstone & 36 – Sam Mitchell) that year in a trade with Fremantle for Trent Croad.

Two years later Croad absconded back to Hawthorn. Not Fremantle’s best work.

• Like 1