Post Match Discussion - Round 18

Demonland

Absolutely gutting.

But yet again we find ourselves having to play catch up footy because of a terrible start and/or lapse in concentration. We play the first half like we did the second and we win this game by a few goals. Same with the Bulldogs game. In the Essendon game at least a few things went our way to get us the win, but that game should have gone the same as the other two.

The Dawes, Jones and Grimes mistakes late were all bad, no denying it, and they indicate a lack of composure which comes from experience, and confidence. But I'm more worried about these periods where we go missing, players fall asleep or don't work hard enough, and our opponent gets a run of goals on. If we take that out of our game we'd have won both Port games, the second Bulldogs game and the St Kilda game, and we'd have 8 wins and be pretty damn happy with ourselves.

Fantastic to see Tyson return to his best. No coincidence that our best performance since May was also his best performance since May.

Watts' third quarter was both highly encouraging and bitterly disappointing. The fact that we have players who play so well in parts but go missing for others is the reason we're losing these games we should be winning. If he can get some damn consistency into his game though (big if), then watch out.

I'll reserve judgment on this until we play Brisbane, but right now I'm tentatively thinking the Fremantle/Geelong fortnight was an aberration of sorts, and that with a freshening up around the edges (e.g. swapping the stale Terlich/Jones for a brighter JKH/Blease) we've brought back a little of what was making us a much better side earlier this year.

• Like 1

Dawes is a hard working forward who is good one on one. He isn't the pea, but he's a lion hearted player who will push up to the ball time after time to provide a target when there isn't anything else on.

As a result, most of Dawes' good work goes unnoticed, because making a contest doesn't get a stat or glory.

Once you put Hogan in there, Dawes will start to get more one on one opportunities.

Don't get me wrong, Dawes is very valuable and does a lot of great things and is immensely important to our structure.

He's just not a great overhead mark.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, Dawes is very valuable and does a lot of great things and is immensely important to our structure.

He's not great overhead, but IMO it's exacerbated by the terrible kicks to him. Some too strong, some too high, some to the wrong side, etc.

He's not in the best form right now, to be fair, but it's not that easy to be a CHF in this side.

• Like 1

Ah Jordie Mc Kenzie? just a park footballer, a sure sign of our lack of depth every time he gets a game!

He's doing a job at the moment. If he keeps doing that, he'll keep getting games.

He kept Boak under 20 possessions today. He had 39 last week.

• Like 6

It depends on how you define 'overhead mark'.

He's not a high flying, spectacular mark. However, one on one, he takes more than his fair share.

It depends on how you define 'overhead mark'.

He's not a high flying, spectacular mark. However, one on one, he takes more than his fair share.

Drops a lot of easy ones though, if he starts taking those then he will be a lot more value to us.

• Like 1

A decent side would've thrashed Port today. They were awful. Unfortunately the stupid decisions continue to cost us especially in the attacking half. We should've won this game, plain and simple.

Two main team positives were the tackling (which was as good as we've seen this season) and the quick hands to get ourselves out of trouble.

One major individual positive was Garland's game. It's taken a while but he just might be getting back into form.

Jetta has been a revelation, nothing short of it.

Tyson has the makings of our next genuine star.

JKH makes us a better side with his willingness to move the ball on quickly.

Watts had a game of two halves. He and Howe are the conundrum. What is their best position? Watts behind the ball changed the complexion of the game.

Blease and Tappy worked themselves into it and should see out the season. Personally I think they are worth persisting with. Blease more than Tappy.

Grimes is going to be the death of me.

I didn't feel we tackled enough, P and the stats reflected that. I felt our tackling against Adelaide earlier in the year was far more ferocious and consistent. Each to their own, I guess.

I am reading these posts from Fiji, frustrated that there is no vision over here just the limited commentary on the AFL app (which essentially only addresses points and goals).

As regards the upcoming Brisbane 'home' game at Etihad, do you think it is too late to ask the AFL to transfer it to Adelaide Oval for us? It certainly is a more productive home game venue for us than ES!

• Like 7

COMPOSURE by The Oracle

It was the second time this year that Melbourne held the lead half way through the final quarter against Port Adelaide and yet it lost the game. Earlier in the year, it was a case of a young club simply running out of legs against fitter opposition but this time, it was a case of running out of composure when the time came to hold strong when a game was in the balance.

The other comparison with their earlier encounter at Alice Springs was the fact that the Demons leaked goals in conceding an early run on and then had to work hard to rein in the Power. It was hard enough doing that in Alice Springs but it was even more difficult at the "Portress".

Melbourne surprised its fans with the opening goal through Luke Tapscott but the Power answered and the game was evenly balanced until Dom Tyson broke through for his team's second goal and a six point lead. The next half hour's play was the low point for Melbourne with the home side kicking three consecutive majors on both sides of the first break to go to a 30-point lead.

Twenty minutes into the second quarter, Port had all the momentum, leading 7.4.46 to 2.4.16 and all thoughts of Melbourne fans were about where was the next goal going to come from and how could the damage best be controlled. Somehow, the Demons found the inspiration to take the game on and returned the favour to their hosts by kicking three goals on either side of the break. In the early part of the third quarter the goals came through speedsters Sam Blease and Jay Kennedy-Harris while Jack Watts, who had been quiet early but dominant in this term, goaled at the 16-minute mark to give his side the lead. The question that Melbourne fans were asking now was why had it taken so long for the team to start using some run and to take a game on in the way it was doing now?

It didn't last long as the game turned into an arm wrestle for the remainder of the term and it was almost inevitable that the Power would regain the ascendancy, which it did right on three quarter time with the aid of a fortunate free kick paid against Watts for interference - ironically because he had been crunched once or twice earlier in the game without gaining the benefit of a free.

The Demons refused to allow the game to slip and goals to Rohan Bail and Tyson's second restored the lead until a late forward thrust by Melbourne was cut off and Port Adelaide moved the ball virtually the length of the ground to where Port's Jay Schulz was paid a mark against a protesting Lynden Dunn to score the winning goal with less than two minutes remaining on the clock. The Demons last roll of the dice came to nothing when a clearing kick from Jack Grimes to Tyson who was in the clear and had support, went out of bounds on the full. Thirty seconds later, the game was over.

Dom Tyson with 32 touches was Melbourne's best and he was well backed up by skipper Nathan Jones who was subjected to some close treatment early in the game. It was a much better performance for the Demons but, having twice had chances against a top four club in Port Adelaide it still needs to learn how to beat the top sides.

Melbourne 2.3.15 5.5.35 8.7.55 10.9.69

Port Adelaide 4.4.28 7.6.48 8.9.57 10.12.72

Goals

Melbourne Tyson 2 Bail Blease Frawley Kennedy-Harris Pedersen Tapscott Vince Pedersen Watts

Port Adelaide Schulz Stewart Westhoff 2 Boak Pittard Wingard Young

Best

Melbourne Tyson Jamar N Jones Garland Watts Frawley

Port Adelaide Westhoff Gray Wines Cornes O'Shea Schulz Ebert

Changes

Melbourne Nil

Port Adelaide Nil

Injuries

Melbourne Tapscott (knee)

Port Adelaide Hartlett (ankle)

Reports

Melbourne Nil

Port Adelaide Nil

Umpires Jeff Dalgleish, Dean Margetts, David Harris

Crowd 37,894 at Adelaide Oval.

• Like 2

My big question is how Riley was chosen to be subbed off.

He'd laid seven tackles, had 19 pressure acts in just 51 per cent game time.

Got to remember, Riley had no pre-season, and his fitness/tank will be somewhat compromised as a result.

Whether that's it, can't say, but feel it was pretty much eeny meeny miny mo between him and the players you mentioned.

• Like 1

Not pleased to lose but pleased with progress and fight

Frawley not a swing player if kicks out on the full kickable goals agent would be ripping hair out

It could have gone either way. Great game I thought. Ultimately, Port composure at the right time got them over the line.

1. We were up for 4 points, get a free in the middle and Jones plays on while surrounded by Port players. Whyyyy?

2. Dawes has the ball on the forward flank while up by 4 points. He kicks it forward to a Melbourne player surrounded by 4 Port players. Whyyyy?

3. After Port hit the front, Melbourne had four players on along the wing. Grimes has the ball on the back flank...and kicks it out on the full.

Three moments that lacked composure in the final moments and Port capitalised. Each of Melbourne's losses by less than 20 points have all been a product of just lacking composure. Errors at the worst possible moments.

The first game Port and Melbourne played, Port just had that extra leg speed in the end. This is what separates the top 8 from the bottom 8.
  • Like 1

Umps cost us at least 5 goals. The commentators are so gutless for not pointing it out. How was the HTB against Viney in the first qtr?

I'm going to make a highlights video of this game and point out all the garbage.

Grimes should be beheaded

Had a gutfull of Dawes, he gets about 3 touches a game and then fluffs simple set shots with them

Watts what in the name of God is wrong with this bloke's head? He can play an absolute blinder of a qtr and do zero for the other 3

Massive error having Kent as the sub

That's SIX losses by 20 points or less, had we won them all we'd be 6th on the ladder. FMD.

I know that before this season started I would have jumped at the chance to accept by Round 17 four wins AND had six other games where we lost by 20 points or fewer. It's even better that our expectations have lifted so much we are now disappointed to be in that position.

Blease???? Why cant this bloke get a game. His pace and attack are what we desperately need. He obvioulsy hasa flaw in his game that every coach has highlighted but he does add a fair bit whe he comes in.

I cant wait to see the effect of another preseason into JKH. This bloke may be the answer to our small forward problem we have had for years. The new Whiz???

I thought Kent was also quite handy. Kent, Blease and JKH in the side make us look sharp and dangerous.

Love Pig Dog. A preseason into this bloke and I would not want to be an opposition player taking posassion anywhere near him.

All in all I thought we do okay playing away against a good side down on form.

Umpiring ($#&^# %#^%#$ *%^%# $#&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). We were unlucky not to win with a couple of posters and some dodgy free kicks paid that cost us easy goals. I though Viney was stiff on Schultz. Can anyone enlighten me on the holding the ball rule? The one where a player takes posession without prior oppportunity and gets smothered on the deck. My wife, father in law and myself have no idea why one is paid and others are not. When ever this situation occurs we all wait and the longer it goes before a whistle is heard the more we suspect a free will be paid. But we have absolutely no idea how most of the ones paid are different from the others. We are not idiots and have watched the game for many years and have a reasonable grab of the rules but we all sit there and shake our heads and cant work it out.

I dont blame the Umpires but I think the rules need to be addressed so that fans like us can work out what is a free and what is not. There is not point marketng the game in NSW, Qld and NZ is the rules are so grey that even footy tragics like my family cant work it out.

• Like 2

Blease???? Why cant this bloke get a game. His pace and attack are what we desperately need. He obvioulsy hasa flaw in his game that every coach has highlighted but he does add a fair bit whe he comes in.

I cant wait to see the effect of another preseason into JKH. This bloke may be the answer to our small forward problem we have had for years. The new Whiz???

I thought Kent was also quite handy. Kent, Blease and JKH in the side make us look sharp and dangerous.

Love Pig Dog. A preseason into this bloke and I would not want to be an opposition player taking posassion anywhere near him.

All in all I thought we do okay playing away against a good side down on form.

Umpiring ($#&^# %#^%#$ *%^%# $#&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). We were unlucky not to win with a couple of posters and some dodgy free kicks paid that cost us easy goals. I though Viney was stiff on Schultz. Can anyone enlighten me on the holding the ball rule? The one where a player takes posession without prior oppportunity and gets smothered on the deck. My wife, father in law and myself have no idea why one is paid and others are not. When ever this situation occurs we all wait and the longer it goes before a whistle is heard the more we suspect a free will be paid. But we have absolutely no idea how most of the ones paid are different from the others. We are not idiots and have watched the game for many years and have a reasonable grab of the rules but we all sit there and shake our heads and cant work it out.

I dont blame the Umpires but I think the rules need to be addressed so that fans like us can work out what is a free and what is not. There is not point marketng the game in NSW, Qld and NZ is the rules are so grey that even footy tragics like my family cant work it out.

Really, really good point.

Not sure why all the hand wringing over the free against Watts at the end of the 3rd. He spoilt the ball cleanly but unfortunately collected Wingard in the face on the follow through. A free every day of the week

Thats not what the free was paid for. It was paid for front on contact. As it occurred after he hot the ball its play on. Apalling decision.

Either the ump didn't see it and guessed. or he applied the rule incorrectly.

• Like 2

There won't be any unforced changes forthe next couple of games. Reckon Strauss will be given a chance at some stage though.

Think the side was better balanced this week - looked slow and top heavy during the previous games.

Id be happy to swap Grimes for Strauss for the last few weeks.

• Like 2

I think he's valuable from an effort and 2nd effort point of view Jaded... but im not convinced he does 'alot' of great things. One of many NQR players on the MFC list.

At best a decoy to a better forward as he was at the Pies. Unfortunately our better forward departed with depression and the new kid on the block hasn't put foot to leather in the red and blue yet.

Thats not what the free was paid for. It was paid for front on contact. As it occurred after he hot the ball its play on. Apalling decision.

Either the ump didn't see it and guessed. or he applied the rule incorrectly.

Angle that ump was on,I can see what the attempt wouldve seemed to be,and the ump paid the free.

I dont knock umps and never have,From the umps point of view{not the tellys] i can understand the free.

Didnt like it,but could understand it

I was at the game and I've only read the first 4 or 5 pages of this thread.

My first observation is that we have progressed from a team that was regularly beaten by 100 points to a team that is now fairly competitive most of the time. We still get bashed up by the really good big bodied teams (Freo, Geel) but rarely at other times. We have learned to get ourselves to a position where we can win but not surprisingly for a team that won so few games in the last few years we don't yet know how to win. We are getting some real time training in that this year and will get better at winning games when the opportunity arises.

Secondly I just can't stand the Grimes bashing. For those that weren't at the ground you may have missed the number of times he ran and supported team mates, spoilt and literally put his body on the line countless times. He is a player that will make skill errors but to want to blame him or even single him out for our failure is just silly. How about you look at Howe's kick out to a two on one contest when the majority of our players were on the other flank and the complete inability of Tapscott and Blease to show anything other than one or two cameo's for the day. We had some shocking non contributors but I've not read much about them, probably because they didn't get the ball often enough to make a mistake.

A word of praise for Ro Bail. Unless you watch him you just can't believe how much running he does. The goal he kicked in the last when he started the forward thrust on the defensive side of the wing and ended up kicking the goal was an example of how he is able to bring numbers around the ball. He's limited as a player but his application and gut running courage is something to be admired.

Jack Watts was sensational in the third and Hinkley may well have won the game when he took Kane Cornes from Jones and put him on Watts in the last. You'd have to think Watts should play that third quarter role for the rest of the season.

No love for Jordie? Kept Boak to a mediocre contribution and the only goal Boak got was when Jordie wasn't on him. There is undoubtedly a place in the team for a good tagger.

Lastly we looked spent in the last. When we had the ball from a mark there was often no movement. None, and so often we just kicked it to a stagnant situation. Roos game plan is very physically intensive and our young bodies are tiring.

Very disappointing to lose, very encouraging for the future.

• Like 15