Jack Grimes

Soidee

He suffers in supporters' eyes because he is being forced to play an offensive role that he isn't suited to. Why? Because we don't have anyone else who can do it.

He is a very good defensive backman, because he's fast, strong, a good size, strong overhead, selfless and does all of the one percenters that make a good defender.

But he is being forced to run the ball out of defence as one of our primary defensive ball users. That's not his best role, but he fills that role as the selfless leader he is.

He would play in any team.

youre kidding yourself.

i for one suggest he has a good backmans thinking but he doesnt deliver on it.

IF he did a lot of mids and half forwards would probably kiss his boots

he cant kick for shlt...a lot of our team cant kick for shlt

smell the flowers

youre kidding yourself.

smell the flowers

You post a lot.

That said, I usually only read them when you directly quote me.

I regret my latest decision.

• Like 1

youre kidding yourself.

smell the flowers

His DE for the season isn't that bad, it's just that he makes a couple of errors each game that we analyse more than others because he is the current target of the board.

He is good in one on one situations, has a good pair of hands and will give 100% every time. He makes mistakes, no arguing that, but no team is full to the brim of players who are perfect.

grimes has moments,,,,,good ones

he has massive lapses.

hes a problem because he has ability ( where have we heard that b4) it about what happens on game day and its far from 100%

Im not saying this to be critical...its just obsevational

• Like 1

You post a lot.

That said, I usually only read them when you directly quote me.

I regret my latest decision.

what was your point

is there one

Is harshly treated on Demonland.

Reads the play better than the majority of our players.

Yet another player who can't kick to a target to save himself.

Actually, the majority of Demonland has had a blindspot where Grimes is concerned, until recently. Some people are now beginning to realise that Jack was massively overhyped and this was most probably off the back of his undoubted excellent leadership off field.

Jack used to be able to get the ball, but he's never been a good user at AFL level. Now he rarely wins his own ball and his disposal and decision making haven't improved. I'd argue he's gone backwards. Roos clearly wants players who are versatile. He has played a few positions, but to detriment of the team. Strength is apparently one of his assets, but he gets consistently beaten in one-on-ones. However, when Grimes is on song, he can read the play well in front of him and chop off opposition forward thrusts with intercept marks.

Finally, he plays in arguably one of the most important roles in a modern AFL team. As a half back flanker, he should be setting up the play, but he's simply not a good disposer and struggles one-on-one. His worth to the team is minimal. I love that he loves the club, but when his contract is up, he should be put up for trade or delisted. He's played over 80 games now. We know what we get with him and we've seen him go backwards under Roos. Time's up soon.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 2

When Grimes first played for us he was very quick running off Half Back and he definitely got to the ball in flight quicker to cut it off.Several injuries seem to have really curtailed his ability, much the same as it has done to Jack Trengove. Many players in the AFL do not make it for moe than a few years due to injury. Jack Grimes has done well to play as long as he has considering his past injuries.

He suffers in supporters' eyes because he is being forced to play an offensive role that he isn't suited to. Why? Because we don't have anyone else who can do it.

He is a very good defensive backman, because he's fast, strong, a good size, strong overhead, selfless and does all of the one percenters that make a good defender.

But he is being forced to run the ball out of defence as one of our primary defensive ball users. That's not his best role, but he fills that role as the selfless leader he is.

He would play in any team.

I agree with some of what you say however have to disagree when you comment on his size.

He looks incredibly skinny with next to no muscle mass.

His arms are incredibly small and shoulders are non existent.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

I agree with some of what you say however have to disagree when you comment on his size.

He looks incredibly skinny with next to no muscle mass.

His arms are incredibly small and shoulders are non existent.

He is about 6'2, so he's a good size. He's also strong, so whether he "looks skinny" (according to you) doesn't actually affect his performance.

He is about 6'2, so he's a good size. He's also strong, so whether he "looks skinny" (according to you) doesn't actually affect his performance.

I'd agree he's a good height at 6'2". However you said size which refers to overall mass, hence the reason I disagreed.

I also haven't seen much which would indicate he is strong, especially when it comes to one on ones and the like.

I never said his size affected his performance...

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

top 8 ?? seriously

Don't want to sound like an apologist for Grimes he needs to improve but there are plenty of ordinary players in Top 8 sides always has been always will be.

Dawson, Spanghar, Laidler, Clancee Pearce, Kane Mitchell, Cheney, Dell Olio, Tom Logan

It's a lot easier to play with good players

• Like 3

Agree with you BB. To add, Grimes waved off Bernie from taking a kick out yesterday and I thought, is he serious. Know your limitations, be a leader, and give one of the best players in our team the ball.

is that the same Bernie Vince who kicking out from the city end shanked it straight to a cats player who kicked a goal.
  • Like 1

Everyone is ignoring the blatant issue regarding Grimes, a few people have alluded to it through comments about his strength/ size etc and although I have not conducted extensive research, I believe that this is it: He's a vegan.

Now I'll be waiting for someone to prove me wrong, but I believe that this was a change he made in the last few years - I don't believe he was a vegan when he started with us. 15 bananas a day? That's the reason for all the clangers right there.

Everyone is ignoring the blatant issue regarding Grimes, a few people have alluded to it through comments about his strength/ size etc and although I have not conducted extensive research, I believe that this is it: He's a vegan.

Now I'll be waiting for someone to prove me wrong, but I believe that this was a change he made in the last few years - I don't believe he was a vegan when he started with us. 15 bananas a day? That's the reason for all the clangers right there.

you were going along fine there beats......................until you blamed bananas...........sacrilege!

• Like 3

you were going along fine there beats......................until you blamed bananas...........sacrilege!

He slipped up eh !! :rolleyes:

Yeah he is, think he might even be a vegan - he cops a bit about it from the other players in the club videos

Vegan!

That might explain why he has kicking problems the footy is made of leather.

Also hope his boots are synthetic!

He was good earlier in the year when he was used solely as a defender, he then was moved up to tagging roles in the middle which he isn't good at. He is a pure defender and reads the play really well. I think his just down on confidence atm as a result of been used as a defensive mid which is not his go.

I don't think we would be a better side without Grimes in it.

If he had been out of the team for the last 6 weeks at Casey, the same people who currently want him out would probably have already started a thread saying get Grimes into the side!

He's not a superstar captain or player but he at least has a crack every week which is more then what can be said about a number or other players out there. Even when he gets beaten in a contest, at least he makes it one

• Like 1

I don't think we would be a better side without Grimes in it.

If he had been out of the team for the last 6 weeks at Casey, the same people who currently want him out would probably have already started a thread saying get Grimes into the side!

He's not a superstar captain or player but he at least has a crack every week which is more then what can be said about a number or other players out there. Even when he gets beaten in a contest, at least he makes it one

That probably covers him won't win any major awards but he is in front of 30 others on the list.