Time is up for some players

All the Jacks

Do you think we will ever get to Mid July and be enjoying the last six weeks of the season

hang in there g O D, the wheel is turning, the revolution hasn't completed its first 360 yet. it'll speed up, thru the excitement that will drive it.

Yep,and the problem also magnifies when after 89 so called games,how many great games does he now have to play to make up for the amount of time put into him by coaches/teammates/development coaches etc etc.

We are throwing so called good money after bad.We must have blokes like dunny on our list who are heartbroken to see the amount of chances this fella gets.Some players at our club{like every club}must spew when they see his output in games.

Doesnt help the club and so far the gig hasnt worked.

This line of thinking is ridiculous IMO. We waste no more time on Watts than we do into Bail or Matt Jones or Nicholson or McKenzie or Strauss and he performs well ahead of all of them and is probably in our best 6-10 players. Not great for a number 1 pick but not a complete disaster either. And I also get the impression from Roos' comments that Watts is doing exactly what is asked of him, unlike a number of others. The fact that we don't know exactly what he is being asked to do week to week is our problem, not his.

I agree with jnrmac that Watts' skills make him tradeable unlike many others on the list but, as always, it's a question of whether the benefit would outweigh the cost. Given our team is muched improved in winning the ball but fundamentally incapable of retaining it, I doubt we would be taking any quantum leaps forward by trading him.

You might also recall that Dunn, who you reference, was an undisciplined waste of space for about 6 or 7 seasons before coming into his own just last year.

Edited by Radar Detector
  • Like 1

This line of thinking is ridiculous IMO. We waste no more time on Watts than we do into Bail or Matt Jones or Nicholson or McKenzie or Strauss and he performs well ahead of all of them and is probably in our best 6-10 players. Not great for a number 1 pick but not a complete disaster either. And I also get the impression from Roos' comments that Watts is doing exactly what is asked of him, unlike a number of others. The fact that we don't know exactly what he is being asked to do week to week is our problem, not his.

I agree with jnrmac that Watts' skills make him tradeable unlike many others on the list but, as always, it's a question of whether the benefit would outweigh the cost. Given our team is muched improved in winning the ball but fundamentally incapable of retaining it, I doubt we would be taking any quantum leaps forward by trading him.

You might also recall that Dunn, who you reference, was an undisciplined waste of space for about 6 or 7 seasons before coming into his own just last year.

Valid point re: Dunn, Interesting to note that Watts and Dunn have very similar career stats. Very interesting to note that based on those very similar stats, a large number of people were calling for Dunn to be delisted and yet based on the same stats, Watts is considered to probably be in the top 6-10 players at the club.

IMO Watts is the 9th to 13th best player at the club:

N.Jones

Tyson

Vince

Dawes

Dunn

Mcdonald

Frawley

Howe

M.Jones

Grimes

Pedersen

• Like 1

Quite happy to take dunn out of conversation.

Bottom line,How many good/great games does he have to play to outweigh the chit,no body on body, games hes played?

At least dunn so far this year has earnt his ranking and place in the team.

Bottom line,How many good/great games does he have to play to outweigh the chit,no body on body, games hes played?

At least dunn so far this year has earnt his ranking and place in the team.

Whatever else Dunn did not do body on body was never a problem

Beats... if Jack is 9/13 th best...what does that tell you about the list !!

• Like 1

How many good/great games does he have to play to outweigh the chit,no body on body, games hes played?

This is the nonsense. If he starts producing consistently good games then the previous games, however many of them there are, are irrelevant. A sunk cost.

Dunn is a good example. Not even a full season of being very good and he became "our most important signing" according to many. On that evidence, about 18 good games erases 7 or 8 seasons of crap.

As I have said repeatedly, the issue with getting rid of Watts is that he is currently in our best dozen so delisting makes no sense. Therefore, a trade is the only way he will leave and I doubt we will get in a trade what his worth is to our side specifically. Take him out of the team and who exactly other than Vince can hit a target regularly?

And yes BB, this does speak to the quality of our list at present.

This is the nonsense. If he starts producing consistently good games then the previous games, however many of them there are, are irrelevant. A sunk cost.

Dunn is a good example. Not even a full season of being very good and he became "our most important signing" according to many. On that evidence, about 18 good games erases 7 or 8 seasons of crap.

As I have said repeatedly, the issue with getting rid of Watts is that he is currently in our best dozen so delisting makes no sense. Therefore, a trade is the only way he will leave and I doubt we will get in a trade what his worth is to our side specifically. Take him out of the team and who exactly other than Vince can hit a target regularly?

And yes BB, this does speak to the quality of our list at present.

I think you are wrong about Dunn. His B&F results aren't all bad.

2013 6th

2013 10th

2011 24th

2010 13th

I think you are wrong about Dunn. His B&F results aren't all bad.

2013 6th

2013 10th

2011 24th

2010 13th

I'm not going to keep this up but neither are Watts' and Dunn is much further into his career.

2013 11th

2013 16th (injured from round 15)

2011 9th

In any event, I find myself arguing a position I don't feel passionately about so happy to tap out from here. I think we both essentially think the same thing about Watts.

Watts has maybe the best skill set in the squad and potentially could be our best player.......it's just as so many experts and supporters have noted, he just doesn't have the drive.

I recall seeing much better players than watts dropped to the twos - both montagna & dal santo were dropped within a year or 2 of playing in a series of big finals. Playing a few games in the twos might cause jack to reflect on how lucky he is to be paid big dollars for such limited performances.

I agree with Matthews could be a good basketballer.Move on !JW will not play a major role in the future of the footy club

Watts has maybe the best skill set in the squad and potentially could be our best player.......it's just as so many experts and supporters have noted, he just doesn't have the drive.

I recall seeing much better players than watts dropped to the twos - both montagna & dal santo were dropped within a year or 2 of playing in a series of big finals. Playing a few games in the twos might cause jack to reflect on how lucky he is to be paid big dollars for such limited performances.

Cause that hasn't been tried before..

Have to accept Watts for what he is. A skilled player with as much appetite for the hard stuff as a shy kitten. When others are getting their hands dirty, he can excel. When the chips are down, he's near on useless.

Roosy is happy with his output, for some reason, so in Roos I trust.

If JW goes to a team that moves the ball quickly with no hiccups, he'll finish top 10 in the Brownlow.

Sorry JR but I reckon there's a top line from The Castle about that.

To be top 10 in the Brownlow in that sort of team, JW would have to WANT to be on the receiving end, consistently, work really hard to GET THERE, consistently, and WIN the ball, consistently. All while being respected enough by his team mates to bring him into the game because he rarely gets himself into it.

• Like 2

If JW goes to a team that moves the ball quickly with no hiccups, he'll finish top 10 in the Brownlow.

Agree would be very good in the Hawks side, quick ball movement would find him in space because he actually knows where to run. He doesn't waste the ball by foot and with the Hawks players ability to run hard to space he would be the perfect link in the quick transition from defence to forward.

Roosy has a different view of watts to the demonland posters.

What would a premiership coach know

Publicly

• Like 1

We oscillate between loving, liking, loathing, and hating this kid over the course of the last 5 seasons.

The sad fact is that it is missing the point.

As a 195cm HFF with damaging skills - he needs others to get him the footy.

We don't have those players.

Watts is just a role player in a list with about 15 AFL calibre players (some of whom are also just role players).

• Like 1