Official - We woz robbed against bullies

daisycutter

All this scrutiny on holding the ball by the umpires means that this week we are going to see another interpretationn of the rules which could mean that they then reinterprete others, i.e. during the doggies game a melbourne players legs legs were taken out by a doggie on the ground resulting in the melbourne player falling on the doggie and him getting a free kick, which is a departure from the taking the legs out paid weeks earlier. players are not going to know how to play the game until they start to see what the umps pull out of their bag.

• Like 3

I say we should live with it. For every mistake made by the umpires, our own players committed half a dozen. If we can reduce or eliminate our mistakes we'll soon start winning - and winning well against similar quality opposition.

While that is true the umpiring has been atrocious this year - I didn't think it could get worse but it has. It is ruining the game as I now get so frustrated watching neutral games I'll switch off before half time most games and switch the last 10 minutes back on if it's close.

Let it go, people.

i've moved on and let it go. No point crying over spilt milk, i've turned over a new page, let bygones begone, put it all behind me, gotten over it, made my peace, turned the other cheek and focussed on the positive things

but............it still makes me want to spew

• Like 2

Yeah, yeah, we shouldn't have got so far behind etc.

But the bulldogs shouldn't have let us back in the way they did.

I'd love to know how many umps from the dogs game will get a run in the VFL this week. I'd say most will be dropped.

A gift goal and 2 shocking holding the balls in the last :90 seconds that are all admitted mistakes. That's the difference in the game. We have a right to feel very disappointed in the umpiring.

• Like 3

What I don't understand is why haven't the AFL done anything about these decisions. It has been going on for a few seasons and every supporter I know hates that holding the ball rule where everyone jumps on them. They need to listen to the supporters who actually keep this sport alive.

What they actually need to start paying is in the back to the player on the bottom. Think about it, it will quickly clear up all these packs

• Like 2

i've moved on and let it go. No point crying over spilt milk, i've turned over a new page, let bygones begone, put it all behind me, gotten over it, made my peace, turned the other cheek and focussed on the positive things

but............it still makes me want to spew

C'mon DC, I am sure there are more cliches out there you can fit in ... :blink:

We've historically been slaughtered against the Bulldogs. We must have walked under their black cat, because the breaks and the umpiring is invariably in their favour. We've been o the wrong end of many howlers.

Alright who didnt pay the tin rattlers, western oval 1985-87, wasnt me1!

NEVER!!!! :)

I still lament the 1958 GF loss that cost us 4 in a row and I was still 24 years from being born.

Er, make that six (6) in a row

The thing you need to understand when looking at the inconsistent performances by umpires in our game is that it is a problem that goes right to the top. The AFL has created a system in which there are virtually no professional standards being maintained in their umpiring ranks because they are terrified that they won't be able to maintain sufficient numbers. The Umpiring administration, training and lack of disciplinary process is laughable. If you look at the truly successful sporting codes around the world, you see that they have real oversight, consistent administration and both rewards for doing well and penalties for not. If the AFL were being run to the standards of the NFL or FIFA not only would we see many of the current batch of umpires not working at AFL level, but most likely the entire administrative arm at AFL house would be removed for sheer ineptitude.

The AFL like to talk themselves up and proclaim themselves world class, but the reality is that they are not even close. Being one of the bog fish in a very small pond has given them a false belief in their own abilities. The reality is that while the business is growing, the sporting administration is largely populated by hacks. In a weird parallel to Melbourne of the past 5-6 years, they don't even understand how far behind the frontrunners they are, much less how to catch up.

• Like 1

Did the umpires do all our bad kicks, handballs and marks and not turn up to play for the MFC until after half-time?

In that case; ROBBED!

good one song.....who'd've thunk that

of course that would be schwabb and neild's fault but

btw, i look forward to the day of the first player-error- free game in afl history

I think we got some revenge on the Bullies in about 2004, in the last round, when Jeff White got a dubious free on the 50m line and duly kicked the winner(round 22, and significant in our final eight position)

Exactly what I was thinking...I remember it clearly

I agree when we are good enough we will win, can't blame the umps all the time.

The game is on our merit,live up to expectations and be true team players then we will have a more positive view of the rules and how the umps dish them out 341d32d9b9dd220838e5ecb2cf4d8d68out.

they have admitted they stuffed up.. the decisions against us directly cost us the game

So why havent we been given the 4 points?

the AFL are a joke

so you expect an unprecedented, landmark ruling where a win is transferred due to a retrospective review of umpiring decisions

that is one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this site

which is a gigantic call

Edited by Curry & Beer
  • Like 1

If we don't win enough clearances we are always on the back foot. Forced to take the hard road to goal, invite pressure and make more errors. Can happen to every team. Errors and dodgy umpiring are cop out excuses for the most part. We are the worst side for clearances. If we were more middle of the road in clearances or broke even more often I am sure we would have won three or four extra games.

Edited by america de cali

What they actually need to start paying is in the back to the player on the bottom. Think about it, it will quickly clear up all these packs

My favourite hobby horse......NO HTB without a perfect tackle. Benefit of doubt ALWAYS to the guy with the ball.

When one consider the soft in the back decisions that are made in marking contests - OMG, it brings back the Dunn / Crameri momentum shifter in our last encounter with the Dogs - how can a pack of players be allowed to pile on the back of the guy wit the mall without being pinged.

Edited by monoccular