Dunn Deal!

Demonland

Very good result IMO he was more important to retain than Frawley.

having said that I want Frwley to stay.

Saty I can say with confidence that I do not haver to eat humble pie on Dunn.

Have always been a supporter even in his darkest hours.

I don,t believe I have ever uttered a bad word about him.

He has always had one very big thing going for him.

His kick, accurate and long when needed, seldom wastes the ball.

Great news for the club. The question is why did he sign so soon? The club is in a stronger position and rewards players with contracts that reflect their true worth. Getting back to a position where the club calls the shots and not the players.

One reason for not delaying is that the pool of available funds under the cap can shrink if he waits. Should a player seek more than the MFC thought they might have to pay, and the club agrees to those demands, the space available under the cap shrinks for everyone else who hasn't yet signed. By getting in earlier, he reduces the risk to himself...and increases it for those yet to sign.

On ya Dunny.

Especially like this "“I love the club and the boys and where the club’s going and where we've come from... now I just want to play finals" – Dunn"

Wonder if any of the other OOC players are thinking this.

We can only hope.

• Like 1

Very happy to keep him.

Wouldn't be surprised if sides like gws, Carlton or the Saints - all of whom need key defenders - didn't offer him deals too. A cheaper option than Chip, but I'd argue is currently having a better year.

I would be suprised if they didn't.

Very happy to say I was wrong about Dunn!

Thought he was a lazy and uncompetitive footballer, under Roos he's turned himself in to Mr Reliable and Mr Versatile.

Keep up the good work Lynden well deserved

Dunn was one of few players who improved during 2012 and 2013. Full credit to him for stepping up during our darkest years and hopefully becomes a 200+ gamer.

• Like 6

Unsure what point you're trying to make. Presumably he signed so soon because he wanted to. Not all players want to 'hold out' for the best possible deal; some players land on a deal they're happy with early in the piece and just want to get it out of the way so they can concentrate on footy.

My point is hopefully we have eliminated to certain extent the game playing aspect of contract negotiations. If you perform consistently you will be offered a contract that reflects that performance. It all starts with players having to earn their spot in the side and not being gifted games like we have done in the past.

Please don't ever let that mo grow again though....

+1

Very happy, reward for effort has been clearly demonstrated.

• Like 1

I didn't appreciate just how good a leader this bloke is/was, really comfortable with the prospect of he, Mcdonald, Garland and frawley in the backline together, shaping as one of the best in the comp

• Like 1

One reason for not delaying is that the pool of available funds under the cap can shrink if he waits. Should a player seek more than the MFC thought they might have to pay, and the club agrees to those demands, the space available under the cap shrinks for everyone else who hasn't yet signed. By getting in earlier, he reduces the risk to himself...and increases it for those yet to sign.

Good point, I would like to think that Roos has mapped out the next couple of years in terms of types of players and the size of contracts.

I don't think we should turn this thread in to a pissing contest about who backed Dunn last year and who didn't. I've deleted all the posts that attempted to turn this in to such a contest and will delete future posts as such as well.

Bravo. More of this please.

yeah Tommy has to re-sign as well. Shocking kick but a great defender and spoiler. If we can get him and chip to tay then our backline will be very stable down the track. I have no doubt Jade has been great for him and just having Roosy there helping him out with things has been enormous.

Well done Lynden and its nice to see him backing the club in.

Disagree - He is an unrestricted free agent and holds all the cards. I suggest 3 things have happened - he has told his manager he wants to stay, his manager has told him what he can get outside the MFC, we have given either more, the same or slightly less but not enough to make him change clubs.

When it comes to free agents within our club, the club is certainly not calling the shots ( except to the extent of telling players - here is the offer - take it or leave)

What I mean by "holding the cards" is Roos won't be held to ransom by anyone. Previous coaches would have buckled to demands of the likes of Sylvia and co. Successful clubs have the ability to say here's you're offer, it's a fair one, over to you.

What I mean by "holding the cards" is Roos won't be held to ransom by anyone. Previous coaches would have buckled to demands of the likes of Sylvia and co. Successful clubs have the ability to say here's you're offer, it's a fair one, over to you.

We have no idea what he was offered.

I'm happy to eat my words. 18 months ago I thought he was only on the list because you can only clear out so many at a time, and he wouldn't have been worth anything on the market anyway.

Then last year I saw him start playing good football, but I was pretty sceptical about how long that would last.

This year has been a very big step forward for him, and I'm very happy for him. If he ever stands on the podium on the greatest day I get the feeling he'll get a bigger cheer than most because will know where he came from and what a sea change it was for him to turn it around.

• Like 1

Hopefully we announce Tommy Mcdonald has signed for 4 years soon, that would be a great result

Situation with McDonald is a little different to Dunn and Frawley unlike them he is not a free agent.

It would be harder for him to leave as he would need to be traded.

I think he will stay , his agent may have been waiting for the new AFL funding situation to become clear.

Now both Him and the club now know how much money is in the pool.

I went to training today, if this guy was a good kick he would be all Australian he does everything else very well.

• Like 2

Situation with McDonald is a little different to Dunn and Frawley unlike them he is not a free agent.

It would be harder for him to leave as he would need to be traded.

I think he will stay , his agent may have been waiting for the new AFL funding situation to become clear.

Now both Him and the club now know how much money is in the pool.

I went to training today, if this guy was a good kick he would be all Australian he does everything else very well.

still plenty of time to improve that, looks very robotic imo, not a natural kick like Salem

No we don't, and as much as I don't like assumptions we can only assume the club thought it was fair as did Dunn.

correct - but we cant assume anyone had the whip hand. And in free agency the player absolutely has the upper hand.