Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Anyone remember 1987?

Dees2014

I will never forget the tears of joy streaming down the faces of our supporters that day in the outer at the Western oval when the Hawks won at Geelong and we were in the finals.

What a great run we had that year and to think we might have another Lovett at the club in a couple of seasons.

I will never forget the tears of joy streaming down the faces of our supporters that day in the outer at the Western oval when the Hawks won at Geelong and we were in the finals.

What a great run we had that year and to think we might have another Lovett at the club in a couple of seasons.

I was there-on the wing.

I remember Peter Foster,Dougie Hawkins,Chocco Royal,Simon Beasley from them .

Tony Campbell ,Young Lyon,Tulip,Sean Wight for us.

The trannies were very loud in the crowd.(radios)

Standing room only-the smell of ciggies,beer and Victory!

I was still playing footy at that stage, and was in the rooms, 10 seconds after a win in a final. My girlfriend at the time rushed in and told me that the Demons were in the finals. I have never sang a song with such gusto. With finals scheduled for the correct days for the next 2 weeks, we won the flag, AND I got to see the Demons play 3 finals. Talk about paradise!!

• Like 2

I too went to that Doggies match at Western Oval. Most exciting H&A match I've ever been to, especially as the other game came to an end and I realised we were finals bound.

It was a pretty surreal day there . As many eyes to the scoreboard for the other games as were peeled to the action in front. All ears to the 'trannies' .

Amazing day :)

Sounds awesome. The only things I remember about 1987 are the Toronto Blue Jays choking, spandex, flourescent colours, and shoulder pads. That and my brother saying bithchin' to describe something as cool. Reading everyone's recollections makes me wish I'dknown about the Demons back then.

• Like 1

How about Warren Dean kicking that long goal with a torpedo that just made it above fingertips?

Garry Lyon's leg?

Robbie Flower's mark?

The outer wing pulsing in red and blue.

Surrounding the only guy nearby with a transistor radio until Hawks got up.

Huge wins against North and South.

Having the wind for 3 quarters against Hawthorn.

Rod Grinter shirtfront on Chris Mew. The thud from that shook you to the core.

Up to then we had not lost a game that Dean Chiron played in according to Swooper. I think they had a mid season draft then.

We would have beaten Carlton even after the damage inflicted by Dipper.

• Like 2

87 was the one that got away :(

• Like 1

I was 7. I have no family history or allegiance in VFL/AFL footy, and that year was the year I fell in love with the Dees. It's not impossible that we could make it this year, but it is highly unlikely! That said, Port Adelaides turnaround last year, from finishing 2 places above us with one extra win in 2012, to playi ng finals last year, and now this year they are on top of the ladder and playing an exceptional brand of footy. A couple years ago, I would've said we had more talent in our list than them, so I see no reason whatsoever that our turnaround cannot be a quick one.

I was only one at the time but every Melbourne fan I know that was alive at the time relives the year with a glow in their eyes.

I've watched a few games from that year. Seemed like a great time to be a fan.

That said, the standards are higher, and the team is coming from a considerably further way back. I think the team is now in the 5-16 range in that they can beat anyone within that range, which is obviously very broad, but I'd say they're still towards the bottom of that list. They can beat anyone from 5th to 18th imo. But considering how on par 10-11 teams are on game day, it makes it a lot harder to make finals.

I tipped 6 wins at the start of the year, they can probably win upwards of 10, but there are still some very good teams to play (Hawks, Cats, Power, North, Freo, Pies), as well as away games against the Suns, Eagles, Power.

Can beat Bombers, Roos, Dogs, Lions, Giants. Reality kicks in and I'm just looking forward to seeing this team compete every week.

Not sure I agree with this. Here are the teams for that famous match and the relative performances

Hawthorn Match Statistics (Sorted by Disposals) Coach: Allan Jeans

Player K HB D M G B T HO FF FA

Peter Schwab 18 9 27 4 0 0 3 0 4 1

Peter Russo 19 8 27 6 0 0 1 0 1 1

John Platten 15 6 21 2 0 1 0 0 2 1

Gary Buckenara 18 3 21 4 5 2 0 0 5 1

Michael Tuck 15 5 20 2 0 1 3 0 4 3

Russell Greene 8 12 20 6 0 0 1 0 0 0

Darrin Pritchard 11 7 18 1 1 0 0 0 0 1

Chris Langford 13 5 18 4 0 0 1 0 2 2

Russell Morris 11 6 17 6 1 2 3 0 1 2

Gary Ayres 10 7 17 3 0 1 4 0 2 2

Ray Jencke 7 8 15 5 1 0 0 0 0 2

Peter Curran 11 4 15 8 1 2 0 0 0 1

Dermott Brereton 9 5 14 5 1 1 3 0 3 2

John Kennedy 7 7 14 5 1 0 2 0 1 4

Chris Mew 12 1 13 4 0 0 0 0 3 1

Richard Loveridge 9 4 13 2 0 0 0 0 0 0

Robert DiPierdomen 9 2 1 1 3 0 3 0 0 1

Greg Dear 3 7 10 0 0 0 1 11 0 2

Paul Dear 3 7 10 5 0 2 0 0 0 0

Paul Abbott 5 5 10 1 0 0 1 2 0 0

Melbourne Match Statistics (Sorted by Disposals) Coach: John Northey

Bret Bailey 10 10 20 2 0 0 0 0 2 2

Greg Healy 12 7 19 1 0 2 1 0 1 0

Ricky Jackson 16 3 19 2 3 3 2 0 1 2

Todd Viney 11 7 18 5 1 0 4 0 3 1

Brian Wilson 11 7 18 1 2 1 0 0 1 5

Brett Lovett 12 5 17 7 0 0 1 0 0 1

Rodney Grinter 12 4 16 5 2 1 1 0 3 2

Stephen Newport 13 3 16 3 0 0 1 0 2 0

Graeme Yeats 8 7 15 2 0 1 2 0 0 1

Steven Stretch 10 5 15 3 0 0 0 1 1 2

Danny Hughes 14 1 15 4 0 0 1 0 3 4

Earl Spalding 7 7 14 3 0 0 4 0 3 0

Warren Dean 13 1 14 2 1 1 2 0 3 2

Jim Stynes 10 3 13 3 1 0 1 16 1 0

Sean Wight 9 2 11 2 0 0 0 0 0 3

Dean Chiron 6 3 9 3 0 0 1 0 0 0

Tony Campbell 6 1 7 2 0 1 0 0 0 0

Simon Eishold 5 2 7 1 0 2 0 0 1 2

Robert Flower 3 2 5 3 0 2 0 0 1 0

Steven O'Dwyer 3 1 4 1 0 0 1 7 1 1

When you look through both teams, on paper we should not have been within a bull's roar of the Hawks. I think it is a testimony to Northey's coaching skill that we did. He has much of the same driven nature of Roos although i think Roos is a much better people manager and considerably more personally charming. I think we underestimate what advantage Roos as a coach gives us together with his senior assistants. I would also venture to say that today's side is potentially much more talented than 1987, and so if anything can improve quicker.

I agree the AFL is very different now than then, but there were 22 rounds then, 14 teams, but there was a top 5 - far more difficult to break into than the current top 8.

I still think we will surprise a number of people over the next 4 months and exceed everyone's expectations!

Edited by Dees2014

Was 15 years old, the only time my Pie supporting father ever took me to the footy. Remember standing on a bin in the outer watching my boy hood idol desperately trying to keep not only his season alive but also extending his career by a game and his first finals birth. Through all the gloom that 42 years of supporting the dees has bought, it was this moment, this day that has always kept the ledger firmly in the positive. Nice to remember!

Not sure I agree with this. Here are the teams for that famous match and the relative performances

Hawthorn Match Statistics (Sorted by Disposals) Coach: Allan Jeans

Peter Schwab 18 9 27 4 0 0 3 0 4 1

Peter Russo 19 8 27 6 0 0 1 0 1 1

John Platten 15 6 21 2 0 1 0 0 2 1

Gary Buckenara 18 3 21 4 5 2 0 0 5 1

Michael Tuck 15 5 20 2 0 1 3 0 4 3

Russell Greene 8 12 20 6 0 0 1 0 0 0

Darrin Pritchard 11 7 18 1 1 0 0 0 0 1

Chris Langford 13 5 18 4 0 0 1 0 2 2

Russell Morris 11 6 17 6 1 2 3 0 1 2

Gary Ayres 10 7 17 3 0 1 4 0 2 2

Ray Jencke 7 8 15 5 1 0 0 0 0 2

Peter Curran 11 4 15 8 1 2 0 0 0 1

Dermott Brereton 9 5 14 5 1 1 3 0 3 2

John Kennedy 7 7 14 5 1 0 2 0 1 4

Chris Mew 12 1 13 4 0 0 0 0 3 1

Richard Loveridge 9 4 13 2 0 0 0 0 0 0

Robert DiPierdomen 9 2 1 1 3 0 3 0 0 1

Greg Dear 3 7 10 0 0 0 1 11 0 2

Paul Dear 3 7 10 5 0 2 0 0 0 0

Paul Abbott 5 5 10 1 0 0 1 2 0 0

Melbourne Match Statistics (Sorted by Disposals) Coach: John Northey

Bret Bailey 10 10 20 2 0 0 0 0 2 2 - 4th year

Greg Healy 12 7 19 1 0 2 1 0 1 0 - 4th year

Ricky Jackson 16 3 19 2 3 3 2 0 1 2 - 2nd year

Todd Viney 11 7 18 5 1 0 4 0 3 1 - Rookie

Brian Wilson 11 7 18 1 2 1 0 0 1 5 -

Brett Lovett 12 5 17 7 0 0 1 0 0 1 - 2nd year

Rodney Grinter 12 4 16 5 2 1 1 0 3 2 - 3rd year

Stephen Newport 13 3 16 3 0 0 1 0 2 0 - 3rd year

Graeme Yeats 8 7 15 2 0 1 2 0 0 1 - 4th year

Steven Stretch 10 5 15 3 0 0 0 1 1 2 - 2nd year

Danny Hughes 14 1 15 4 0 0 1 0 3 4 - 4th year

Earl Spalding 7 7 14 3 0 0 4 0 3 0 - Rookie

Warren Dean 13 1 14 2 1 1 2 0 3 2 - Rookie

Jim Stynes 10 3 13 3 1 0 1 16 1 0 - Rookie

Sean Wight 9 2 11 2 0 0 0 0 0 3 - 3rd year

Dean Chiron 6 3 9 3 0 0 1 0 0 0 - Rookie

Tony Campbell 6 1 7 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 - 2nd year

Simon Eishold 5 2 7 1 0 2 0 0 1 2 - 2nd year

Robert Flower 3 2 5 3 0 2 0 0 1 0 - 15th year

Steven O'Dwyer 3 1 4 1 0 0 1 7 1 1 - Rookie

When you look through both teams, on paper we should not have been within a bull's roar of the Hawks. I think it is a testimony to Northey's coaching skill that we did. He has much of the same driven nature of Roos although i think Roos is a much better people manager and considerably more personally charming. I think we underestimate what advantage Roos as a coach gives us together with his senior assistants. I would also venture to say that today's side is potentially much more talented than 1987, and so if anything can improve quicker.

I agree the AFL is very different now than then, but there were 22 rounds then, 14 teams, but there was a top 5 - far more difficult to break into than the current top 8.

I still think we will surprise a number of people over the next 4 months and exceed everyone's expectations!

I've added the years on the list (or at least since debut) in the far right column next to the names of each Melbourne player there. Only Brian Wilson and Robbie Flower had more than 4 years experience. Not to mention Garry Lyon missing the finals series with injury in his second season. What a remarkable run with such a young team. That game still burns though.

• Like 2

I was at the Western Oval that day. There was a "myth" that Demons supporters hugged complete strangers when the siren went. No myth!! Guilty as charged!!!

I was at the G for the first 2 finals; thumped North by 115 points and Swans by 75 points. I remember in the gents (at 3/4 time) someone starting singing Its a Grand old Flag. Then everyone joined in. A memorable moment.

As for the famous Stynes final. I was there too. I think there was a fair chance that even without the 15 metre penalty, Buccanara may have kicked it anyway. He was an absolute gun. Had the Demons won, would have got thrashed by Carlton in the GF. The Preliminary Final was a bruising match; players would have been stuffed. Hawthorn were.

It was a great ride that year. Johnny Northey was a coach who got the absolute most of some very average players. Jamie Duursma, Dean Chiron, Doug Koop etc. Although he had a few champions too, Robbie Flower, a young Garry Lyon, Viney etc. I loved those Johnny Northey sides. They absolutely gave their all. And they had a great record in close matches.

Edited by bingers
  • Like 1

87 was the one that got away :(

Looking back Id have to agree. As a 12yr old i was devistated seeing Buckanara kick that goal.

Now that moment is part of the AFL/VFL History.

The last 2 months of '87 were incredible ...

I too was at the the Western Oval for that last H&A game of 1987 and the day was memorable, joyous and unforgettable. In the same round, we needed the Hawks to defeat the Cats at Geelong for us to have a chance to play finals. From memory, Hawthorn were 3 goals down against Geelong entering the time on period.

Great day, great game.

Apparently one of the trainers ran out to the 3/4 time huddle and gave the players the misinformation that the Hawks were in front.

That last quarter was electrifying. And Robert Flower in front of goal - wow!

And when the Hawks hit the front the noise was so great all the players at the Western Oval thought our game had finished: I think it was Steve Newport who had ball in hand at the time and just threw it up in the air.

Great day, great game!!!

• Like 1

It was a round for the VFL management to dream of.

Not only were the Dees/Dogs and Hawks/Cats games vital but the final make up of the final five relied on a game at the "G" between Carlton and North. I still remember the joy on the train trip home from the Western Oval and getting off at Flinders Street to watch the end of the Blues Roos game with a few more frothies. It may have been a replay as to why it was so late but I certainly dont remember the final trip home.

On another tack, no wonder Demonland is dying if 90% of us are old enough to have been at the game that day.

Unfortunately that game at the Western Oval is still my footy watching highlight. Everything everyone else has said. I was jumping up and down and carrying on so much when the final siren blew that I lost my very expensive glasses, never to be seen again. No pun intended.

My highlights of that season besides that game were the run of six wins we had to have to get into the finals. No one thought we'd be there that year. I was invited into the Pies Social Club at Victoria Park by a Pies supporting friend who invited me assuming we would lose. Oh how sweet that win was. Then the momentum kept building. We were major underdogs for all those games and the finals. I kept going to every game thinking it would probably be the end of the finals dream and week after week we kept winning against the odds and the momentum kept building and building and the dream got a little more real week by week.

My other biggest memory of that series was the noise each time the team ran out onto the G against North and the Swans. Deafening. Everyone there who wasn't an opposition supporter was supporting the mighty Dees. The Swans were looking invincible that year. They kicked three scores of over 30goals in a row and everyone thought they'd be unstoppable and we flogged them. It was like a dream.

I went to all the training sessions at the Junction Oval during the finals. I couldn't believe how scrawny Robbie was with his shirt off. Almost anorexic. Couldn't believe that was the body that did so much magic. The feeling at those training sessions was unreal. There were several thousand to each session.

I have no doubt we would have been flogged if we'd made it through. Brian Wilson, Ricky Jackson, Robby Flower and someone else were injured and wouldn't have played. We were bashed up and exhausted and Grand Final day was a freakish 32oC. They were cruel conditions for the team that had played the PF and a huge advantage to the team that had had the week off. It would have been ugly.

The last five minutes of the Footscray game are on youtube. The 4.40 mark is when Hawthorn hit the front. Even now it's electrifying.

lol check out the guy tapping Flower on the back at 5:51 with the radio glued to his ear.

• Like 1

I have no doubt we would have been flogged if we'd made it through. Brian Wilson, Ricky Jackson, Robby Flower and someone else were injured and wouldn't have played. We were bashed up and exhausted and Grand Final day was a freakish 32oC. They were cruel conditions for the team that had played the PF and a huge advantage to the team that had had the week off. It would have been ugly.

I agree, But we did give the Hawks a thorough working over that they were crippled and were never in the game against Carlton. One of the most lacklustre GF's I could remember aside from our last two pathetic efforts for the flag. It irks me that we were good for Carlton. Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

I sure do remember the Footscray game. It was one of the best feelings and reward for all of the supporters that had stuck with them for the prior 23 years.

It was followed by two of our most dominant finals games against North and Sydney. In the latter we were able to stick it up Gerard Healy who had chased the money.

The tragic end of the preliminary final is memorable for all the wrong reasons. Imagine how Yeats and co have to replay their shots at goal in their minds. As a matter of interest, George Stone was Hawthorns runner that day. He was my boss at the time and I remember his reaction when I first saw him on Monday morning. He said that it was justice (Hawthorn winning) because Melbourne had kicked with wind for three quarters that day. Now he's doing great work with us.

Most remarkable month of footy ever for a Dees fan born in the 60's. My only ever trip to the western oval, and the next two weeks were even better. The self belief in that team was the thing that allowed very average footballers like Dean Chiron, Bret Bailey, simon Eishold, Tony Campbell to be part of a 19 goal!!! thumping of North the next week. But we, and John Northey loved those journeymen as much as we did our stars. I can still see Robbie Flower floating across the pack at the city end goal square against the Swans, a la Jeremy Howe, to the manic delight of the cheer squad. What I mean is that it's burned onto my retina. Happy Days!

Best ever year as a Demon supporter, especially the last game when we beat the Doggies , and Hawthorn beat the Cats ,to propel us into the finals.

I cried after the Footscray match. Tears of joy!