The GW$ Debacle...

We lost to them because we hadn't found ourselves as a side yet.

We'd beat them by 100+ easy now.

We don't score enough. Maybe 8-10 goals.

Aah yes. It all comes down to a social club. I forgot.

WYL, we have only half a supporter base, after all the rebel raisers gave up on the club probably 30 years back.

.... So the conservatives supporters wouldn't use a Social Club, unless it was collar & tie up in the Northern Stand. Well guess what, there are more supporters around footy clubs, than just conservative supporter types, who sit & clap. Our club is missing out on those types who would go to to a Social Club around the training facilities, & spend up, & party, and make friends, & have a wow of a time.

So the conservatives types try to stop the Mexican waves, the yelling, & jumping up & screaming for the team, & they employ the fun police to keep them all in check.

Any wonder we've nearly gone broke, twice inside the past 20 years. Most people do not want to go to the footy in a collar & tie or Jacket. We are losing all those normal folk. And they are missing an involvement with a club they'd like to belong to, casually.

Now, who are the power teams again? Collingwood, normal & huge fan base. Carlton, normal & huge fan base. Essendon, normal & huge fan base. Hawthorn, normal & huge fan base. WestCoast, Freo growing, Adelaide.. All have had a social club where the supporters/members can congregate together, casually before or after games, & thru the week.

And these teams have maintained their numbers thru high times & low times, & they climb back up quickly when they've been down. And they make a Big Noise. see Port Adelaide.

• Like 1

WYL, we have only half a supporter base, after all the rebel raisers gave up on the club probably 30 years back.

.... So the conservatives supporters wouldn't use a Social Club, unless it was collar & tie up in the Northern Stand. Well guess what, there are more supporters around footy clubs, than just conservative supporter types, who sit & clap. Our club is missing out on those types who would go to to a Social Club around the training facilities, & spend up, & party, and make friends, & have a wow of a time.

So the conservatives types try to stop the Mexican waves, the yelling, & jumping up & screaming for the team, & they employ the fun police to keep them all in check.

Any wonder we've nearly gone broke, twice inside the past 20 years. Most people do not want to go to the footy in a collar & tie or Jacket. We are losing all those normal folk. And they are missing an involvement with a club they'd like to belong to, casually.

Now, who are the power teams again? Collingwood, normal & huge fan base. Carlton, normal & huge fan base. Essendon, normal & huge fan base. Hawthorn, normal & huge fan base. WestCoast, Freo growing, Adelaide.. All have had a social club where the supporters/members can congregate together, casually before or after games, & thru the week.

And these teams have maintained their numbers thru high times & low times, & they climb back up quickly when they've been down. And they make a Big Noise. see Port Adelaide.

It's built on success. Stuff social clubs. Hawthorn were rubbish for years and then became a power side during the 80s. That's where their supporters have come from. They were never traditionally a 'big' club, but they've made some great moves since '96. The lucky factor for them was that they'd had great success in the recent past and thus had supporters to tap into when memberships became an integral part of the AFL business.

• Like 3

The biggest mistake they made is not controlling the club from the start. They put way too much faith in Gubby Allen and he had a different agenda. He sold snake oil to the AFL and they took it by the gallon. They sacked the CEO and put in their own man when things were going backwards but they only did half the job.

If they wanted a presence then they needed it to be a good solid one, the recruiting strategy was aiming to win a flag early and it was wrong. They needed to bring in quality AFL level players and they didn't do it.

The coaching appointments have also been a disaster to date. GC have gone about things with a solid strategy with Clayton from day 1 and you can't undersell the benefits they got from playing a year of VFL footy before coming into the competition. Also McKenna, even though he has had some tough times, is a really solid appointment. They also had Hinkley up there early in the piece.

GWS have had 2 nut cases followed by a guy who thought he would get an armchair ride to the flag. The coaching appointment of Cameron was too smart by half.

Echoing and elaborating on my thoughts perfectly. Except I'm not against Leon Cameron just think he needs some experienced help. Cameron was also highly rated and worked under Eade and Clarkson who both pumped him up. I think the first 2 rounds showed what he wanted works.

As you said McKenna had Hinkley, but also Primus and MFC's own Bomber Reilly who had been at Carlton as a senior assistant as well as our interim coach. A lot of old school coaching experience and even if Primus couldn't be a senior coach he must've learnt something at Port.

Their good news is for every Jack Viney and Dom Tyson we have they have 5! So they have currency. Callan Ward isn't a bad version of Nath Jones. Jeremy Cameron is having a rough year but the talent is there. I'd suggest if they found a key defender (remember Davis is hopefully back next year but you shouldn't expect much from him) and 2 solid experienced midfielders they'd be back on track. They just have to scour the league for Daniel Cross and Bernie Vince types. Plus they have so much to trade they can get these guys easily.

Of course they need better assistant coaches and a footy department who understands these things. So if they can't see the problems in front of them the AFL should step in.

DL its got F$&@@k all to do with having a social club.

Will you ever learn???

The Coach of the club sets the Agenda.

The rest follows in line.

Echoing and elaborating on my thoughts perfectly. Except I'm not against Leon Cameron just think he needs some experienced help. Cameron was also highly rated and worked under Eade and Clarkson who both pumped him up. I think the first 2 rounds showed what he wanted works.

As you said McKenna had Hinkley, but also Primus and MFC's own Bomber Reilly who had been at Carlton as a senior assistant as well as our interim coach. A lot of old school coaching experience and even if Primus couldn't be a senior coach he must've learnt something at Port.

Their good news is for every Jack Viney and Dom Tyson we have they have 5! So they have currency. Callan Ward isn't a bad version of Nath Jones. Jeremy Cameron is having a rough year but the talent is there. I'd suggest if they found a key defender (remember Davis is hopefully back next year but you shouldn't expect much from him) and 2 solid experienced midfielders they'd be back on track. They just have to scour the league for Daniel Cross and Bernie Vince types. Plus they have so much to trade they can get these guys easily.

Of course they need better assistant coaches and a footy department who understands these things. So if they can't see the problems in front of them the AFL should step in.

Cameron definitely needs experienced help but I have heard that not everyone is happy with him. Now that's going to be pretty much every club, the old Barassi line of keeping the players who don't like you away from the ones who are undecided so make of it what you will.

I'm not sure it's a great environment to be in and the current run of losses is not going to help. The AFL have stepped in already to replace the CEO, they might have missed their mark or only got part of it.

DL its got F$&@@k all to do with having a social club.

Will you ever learn???

The Coach of the club sets the Agenda.

The rest follows in line.

Whilst it is not THE reason don't underplay the importance of the social club especially in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. Whilst others were prospering from the "home ground" and social club, we were homeless and soulless

Tom Scully

middle of the road player is a 'leader' for an absolute rabble, a pawn of a club built on nothing but the AFL's never-ending greed..

could be out on the G, being part of a real club's resurgence under the hand of a legendary figure of the game, and in his hometown with his family etc

what did he do.. took the extra bucks. God it is a sick society we live in. Anything for a buck. It is nice to know that the almighty dollar, sometimes, is not the be-all-and-end-all of life. You ouldnt trade any amount of money to be siting where, say, dom tyson is as opposed to Scully.Honestly if he was at the dees now he would be our 6th/7th/8th most valuable midfielder and about 15th in the BnF

take a second to think about this, it makes me very angry: think about everything that has been said in the media about Jack Watts, what this kid has had to endure - this is a bloke who not only has done way more on a footy field than scully but is on about half the cash, and he didnt go through a dodgy process of lying to his club to slink away like a dog

scully is 10 times more deserving of all the crap that watts has copped, you don't hear 'boo'.. makes me furious

• Like 11

Some may say it is an early call. But i am really angry that this farce was given the all clear whilst Victorian Clubs are on life support due to the private ownership of Docklands Stadium.

GW$ will have an extra $mill in their salary cap going forward. At who's expense??

The whole GW$ thing can only be about tax relief and putting even more dollars in Ruperts endless pockets....

Does anyone think having GW$ in the comp is a good idea?

I can't see it. They could really implode this year.

They beat us.

• Like 1

Tom Scully... took the extra bucks.

To be fair to him, I may well have taken the money in his situation as well, as would many I suspect. It's more than he should probably earn in his entire career for one contract that will see him through to the latter half of his career. He will have the opportunity to seek another club should he wish after that. My objection is more the manner in which he left rather than the fact of his departure. If he had stood up before the club and said "They're offering me an entire career's worth of salary to play until my mid-20's. It will set me up for life. I simply can't turn that down." Well, I'd have been annoyed, but he would have at least some respect for having the courage and integrity to be open about it. Lying to the entire club, including our cancer-struck president when he and his father had already agreed to terms and then carrying on that farce of being convinced by a weekend visit and blown away by their facilities and making a snap decision when he'd been going on for a year about taking his time. That is why so many of us despise the little [censored]. Dishonest and lacking in courage and integrity.

• Like 9

You're right 'Robbie', he was getting attention for something like that or maybe even a concussion.

Kelly is going to be a very good player, we don't need to justify our trading by running him down. The jury is in as far as I'm concerned, we've done well out of the deal.

Kelly is going to be an absolute star. There are no flaws in his game.

Considering the culture problem up the GWS, Kelly will prove to be their most important player in the future.

Kelly is a leader and GWS future captain.

Yes we appear to of won the trade, but I won't be running down Josh Kelly, I think he suits GWS needs, they need a professional young kid, they get that in Kelly.

Tom Scully

middle of the road player is a 'leader' for an absolute rabble, a pawn of a club built on nothing but the AFL's never-ending greed..

could be out on the G, being part of a real club's resurgence under the hand of a legendary figure of the game, and in his hometown with his family etc

what did he do.. took the extra bucks. God it is a sick society we live in. Anything for a buck. It is nice to know that the almighty dollar, sometimes, is not the be-all-and-end-all of life. You ouldnt trade any amount of money to be siting where, say, dom tyson is as opposed to Scully.Honestly if he was at the dees now he would be our 6th/7th/8th most valuable midfielder and about 15th in the BnF

take a second to think about this, it makes me very angry: think about everything that has been said in the media about Jack Watts, what this kid has had to endure - this is a bloke who not only has done way more on a footy field than scully but is on about half the cash, and he didnt go through a dodgy process of lying to his club to slink away like a dog

scully is 10 times more deserving of all the crap that watts has copped, you don't hear 'boo'.. makes me furious

I think it is more worrying for GWS that they seen Scully as a leader in the first place.

Tom Scully had done nothing to suggest he'd be a great leader.

Not only that, there were already deficiencies in Tom's game before he left - throw his knee problems on top of that, and it was bad trading by GWS.

Ward has had a massive impact in his time at the club. It has hurt GWS that Scully hasn't had one tenth the impact as Ward.

GWS appear to have embodied Tom Scully's attitude - one of getting ahead of yourself before you get there.

If I was a GWS player, watching Dom Tyson have an impact and be part of a club that represents something - I'd be requesting trade at years end.

Let's hope Shiel comes to Demonland.

Kelly is going to be an absolute star. There are no flaws in his game.

Considering the culture problem up the GWS, Kelly will prove to be their most important player in the future.

Kelly is a leader and GWS future captain.

Yes we appear to of won the trade, but I won't be running down Josh Kelly, I think he suits GWS needs, they need a professional young kid, they get that in Kelly.

Be funny if he came to MFC.

Edited by pikeout

Funny but I was thinking about the disaster that GWS is becoming whilst traversing the Panama Canal. Then I got the score from their game v Richmond.

LOL about paying one player roughly $1.2m a year to play a part in the disaster that will one day become Vlad's legacy.

How many people turned up to see the game?

• Like 1

Funny but I was thinking about the disaster that GWS is becoming whilst traversing the Panama Canal. Then I got the score from their game v Richmond.

LOL about paying one player roughly $1.2m a year to play a part in the disaster that will one day become Vlad's legacy.

How many people turned up to see the game?

Enjoy your hols WJ.

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 1.5 1.6 3.9 5.11 (41) RICHMOND 8.0 14.2 21.4 24.10 (154) GOALS Greater Western Sydney: Cameron, Palmer, Coniglio, Hoskin-Elliott, Scully Richmond: Riewoldt 11, Houli, Vickery, Griffiths, Ellis 2, McDonough, Edwards, Foley, Cotchin, Grigg

BEST Greater Western Sydney: Shiel, Coniglio, Hoskin-Elliott Richmond: Riewoldt, Hampson, Martin, Rance, Deledio, Houli, Cotchin, Ellis, Foley

SUBSTITUTES Greater Western Sydney: Coniglio (shoulder), Kelly (eye) Richmond: Jackson (leg) Reports: Nil Umpires: Dalgleish, Schmitt,

Foot Official crowd: 8,331 at Spotless Stadium

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-05-24/riewoldt-mauls-giants#sthash.OiNDf1we.dpuf

The million dollar boy couldn't even make it in the "best" players.

Money well spent!

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 1

Why do we have to " grow " the sport? Why cant we enjoy the sport and game? TV destroyed the NRL attendances, look at what they get thru the gates in Sydney. So what if soccer does well in outer western Sydney, who cares!

There is no national sport in Australia, not one sporting competition has a home team in Tasmania, a state of Australia, so by definition no national sport.

Answer me this , do you follow the AFL or the MFC? I know I follow the mighty Demons not the AFL and if because of less money from TV deals is available for the sport I will still follow the mighty DEES. If they played in the outer eastern league not the super must continually expand AFL I would still be there.

Is GWS good for FOOTBALL not TV or AFL. Football, There is a difference, Vlad wouldn't think so but there is.

To continually get the crowds they are getting isn't growing the sport, I have seen bigger pie lines at the G than they get thru the gate. As for whats his face I have no problem him going to GWS but he lied to a dying man, so as a person he is a SKUMBAG! And thank you Sheedy we nearly got landed with him.

• Like 2

Watching football on TV from the GWS home ground is painful.

The person who thought up the idea of all that orange seating should be marched out of the country. Without crowds to fill the seats, you can't track an orange football in the air against the sea of orange. And the orange they chose is the most hideous, bright orange.

Then there's that huge screen, relatively low down, right behind the goals on one end. Another distraction from watching the ball fly through the air. There's a reason the screens at all the other grounds are in the pockets.

• Like 1

To be fair to him, I may well have taken the money in his situation as well, as would many I suspect. It's more than he should probably earn in his entire career for one contract that will see him through to the latter half of his career. He will have the opportunity to seek another club should he wish after that. My objection is more the manner in which he left rather than the fact of his departure. If he had stood up before the club and said "They're offering me an entire career's worth of salary to play until my mid-20's. It will set me up for life. I simply can't turn that down." Well, I'd have been annoyed, but he would have at least some respect for having the courage and integrity to be open about it. Lying to the entire club, including our cancer-struck president when he and his father had already agreed to terms and then carrying on that farce of being convinced by a weekend visit and blown away by their facilities and making a snap decision when he'd been going on for a year about taking his time. That is why so many of us despise the little [censored]. Dishonest and lacking in courage and integrity.

Absolutely.

Does anyone despise Ablett for taking the money and the challenge? no, because he didnt go about it in a manner that deceives everybody around him